No dancing before 6 PM!

JSixpack

The old Pattaya Administration no longer exists. The Army is in control and the Army wants to get rid of the GoGo business and as many spots that cater to underage workers, and foreign bar owners. Their plan is to keep restricting hours; dancing; and closing. Eventually the sexpats will head for greener pastures and the bar owners will disappear. Within 10 years most will be just a dream of the past. the goal of Pattaya is a place for Thais and their families as well as the Chinese. Neither need or want the current entertainment that exists. The people running this country are very conservative and want to improve Thailand's reputation in the World. This time the clean up is for real because even when there are elections the Army will still be looking over the shoulders of every local administration in every province.

I agree this might be what they're aiming for but it ignores one reason why it's very unlikely to happen - local (and national) corruption - too many big snouts in the trough.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a shame as some of the older guys prefer to do there drinking in the daytime and get home before all the freaks come out, it's make sense to have a daytime ago go and the TQ was always busy. I wish they had a day time in Cowboy or the N Plaza ,they are paying huge amounts of rent and only allowed to open from 8.00 to 2.00am = 6hours per day. Some punters that work on different time zones in Eu or US are day walkers and a lot of older guys want to be home by 9.00 pm. I am sure they would draw a crowd, it's good when you walk out off the TQ and four in the afternoon after a four hour session and the bright light hits you.

What does TQ mean? Please don't be lazy with your typing.

I believe it's a bar called Tahitian Queen (TQ) on Beach Road in Pattaya
Thanks, I just wish some posters will stop using initials unless for the obvious.

It's their way of showing us how cool they are and in the know.

Thanks, I just wish some posters will stop using initials unless for the obvious.

It's their way of showing us how cool they are and in the know.

I agree in principle but if you don't know TQ (a Pattaya institution) then you should probably get out more:)

The old Pattaya Administration no longer exists. The Army is in control and the Army wants to get rid of the GoGo business and as many spots that cater to underage workers, and foreign bar owners. Their plan is to keep restricting hours; dancing; and closing. Eventually the sexpats will head for greener pastures and the bar owners will disappear. Within 10 years most will be just a dream of the past. the goal of Pattaya is a place for Thais and their families as well as the Chinese. Neither need or want the current entertainment that exists. The people running this country are very conservative and want to improve Thailand's reputation in the World. This time the clean up is for real because even when there are elections the Army will still be looking over the shoulders of every local administration in every province.

Thanks for your theory.

Legislating morals. Damn I thought I left all the do-gooder, moral legislators behind in SE Texass. TQ has been around a long time and although not one of favorite places back in my years as a 1 month millionaire, it was ok to drop in for a beer or 3 in the afternoon. To all you moralistic TV do-gooders that like to stick your nose in business that is none of your, stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I came here 16 yrs. ago for the party and the women. While married for 8 yrs., I still like the party and the woman. I don't like people that think they are better than others. Keep your damn religion to yourself and don't impose your faux morals on others.

You sound just like what you're preaching against ... i.e., "I don't like people that think they are better than others."

My comments based upon the future of Pattaya and its clean up are based upon my observations gleaned over 5 decades of coming and being in Thailand.There have been military governments before but this one is different and as I said much more conservative than the others . I never said I liked or disliked what was being done only that it existed.I have no comment on the morality or immorality of it all. I used to be a frequent customer of daytime GoGo's many years ago both in Pattaya and Bangkok. The entertainment industry in Thailand has become rather boring.Once you learn Thai and understand the system- the girls are boring as well. Much of it is due to poor management and greedy owners who think that continual price increases will make up for poor management. They haven't got the word- there is a new sheriff in town. They can do what they want but I know what I would do- take the best offer possible and get out or start to make plans to adapt to a changing regulatory climate and a changing customer base- neither of which includes GoGo bars. We can all wish for the good old days- but they are not coming back.

The impending doom you prognosticate is far far from happening any time soon.

As to "The entertainment industry in Thailand has become rather boring: It's not boring, you're just bored ... and who wouldn't be after fifty years.

Many wont like the post but its spot on and exactly what is going to happen. Gradual regression of the sex scene and finally snuffed out in Pattaya

2 posters who do not live in Pattaya rolleyes.gif

Wow! Guys who live in Pattaya are soooo cool.

I agree this might be what they're aiming for but it ignores one reason why it's very unlikely to happen - local (and national) corruption - too many big snouts in the trough.

And then there are those who are very high up the ladder whom we dare not mention. They're the ones making the BIG BIG money and there's no way they're going to give it up. Yeah, it's OK to pretend to be cleaning things up ... esp. for the international press ... but it will only go so far and last so long ... per usual.

Amazing how many people want to shot the messenger. I simply responded to the theme of the original post indicating my opinion of what is driving all the actions by the city administration on Pattaya nightlife and entertainment. The same is happening in Bangkok. Nana Plaza and Cowboy are in the process of being handled in a similar manner except the land prices in both places will eventually cause both Nana and Cowboy to be absorbed by what the developers want to do with the land. There will always be places to find booze and girls in Thailand- in fact there are better places right now and they are not in Pattaya nor are they in Nana and Cowboy. Some of the posters really need to get out of the GoGo joints and have a look around.

And then there are those who are very high up the ladder whom we dare not mention. They're the ones making the BIG BIG money and there's no way they're going to give it up. Yeah, it's OK to pretend to be cleaning things up ... esp. for the international press ... but it will only go so far and last so long ... per usual.

Strange we always hear such tales of those high up as you claim but never disclosed. Am afraid you're very wrong and as someone who has been in and out of Thailand for probably longer than 98% of the forum readers the writing has been on the wall for some time. We have had a great run but everything comes to an end eventually, Pattaya will just evolve differently thats all

Edited by Cirencester

It's a shame as some of the older guys prefer to do there drinking in the daytime and get home before all the freaks come out, it's make sense to have a daytime ago go and the TQ was always busy. I wish they had a day time in Cowboy or the N Plaza ,they are paying huge amounts of rent and only allowed to open from 8.00 to 2.00am = 6hours per day. Some punters that work on different time zones in Eu or US are day walkers and a lot of older guys want to be home by 9.00 pm. I am sure they would draw a crowd, it's good when you walk out off the TQ and four in the afternoon after a four hour session and the bright light hits you.

From the website for you self-confessed noobs:

Tahitian Queen is the longest running bar in Pattaya, Thailand being established since 1978. It is the Home for The Jesters MC Thailand and The Pattaya Dirt Road H3. The Bar is known locally and by visitors worldwide as The TQ.

--http://www.tahitianqueen.com/

It's always been popular during the high season and has always had a large group of dedicated regulars. Lots more to say about the place, but no point here.

If you're living in PTY and not a regular or night owl, it's still a great place (depending on your preferences, of course; good 'nuff for Jimmy Page but maybe not for you of the most delicate and exquisite sensibilities) to drop by casually when you happen to be out in central PTY for some other reason, eating or shopping. On a hot day, a cold beer, music, and visuals add up to a nice break before continuing onward. And the same goes to a lesser degree (much lesser, in some cases; but they all do have character!) for the few other remaining daytime go-gos. Hence I really hope this mean, wrong-headed "no dancing before 6" rule can be rescinded.

Edited by JSixpack

Strange we always hear such tales of those high up as you claim but never disclosed. Am afraid you're very wrong and as someone who has been in and out of Thailand for probably longer than 98% of the forum readers the writing has been on the wall for some time. We have had a great run but everything comes to an end eventually, Pattaya will just evolve differently thats all

I've been a frequent visitor to Thailand for 35 years, and resident for 6 ... but so what? Meanwhile ... no I don't have actual evidence, but do you actually think that sex-industry bribes and payoffs don't go to officials far up the political ladder?

Er....it is only obvious to us all. Perhaps you are on the wrong forum.

Of course - bribes, corruption and anything else you want to call it go way up the food chain. However, the current Junta is trying to break the food chain- that is why when they raid a place- the local administration and Army do the job and the police come in after the raid has been made. The reason is quite simple to see. The old sheriff had connections all the way to the top. The new sheriff is the Top.

Of course - bribes, corruption and anything else you want to call it go way up the food chain. However, the current Junta is trying to break the food chain- that is why when they raid a place- the local administration and Army do the job and the police come in after the raid has been made. The reason is quite simple to see. The old sheriff had connections all the way to the top. The new sheriff is the Top.

But you've missed the point. If the new sheriff isn't corrupt "or anything else you want to call it" then the bars should be open 24 hrs and dancing allowed anywhere anytime, as there's no law against it. Pretending that there is, or passing nonsensical regulations, was the way to get the bribes.

Looks like your faith is misplaced in one sense. In another, welcome to the new kind of corruption.

Next.

Edited by JSixpack

It doesn't make sense. If the army (current government) wants gogos closed, they have the power to come into town and close them all in a day. Isn't prostitution illegal in Thailand? They would be enforcing the law.

I'd like to hear your rationale for why they're doing this piecemeal if their goal is to close it all down. It's not like the government is shy about taking care of business.

Er....it is only obvious to us all. Perhaps you are on the wrong forum.

I hardly attend gogos and know the name. I thought everyone living here would. It's a popular bar for people looking for a retro feel.biggrin.png

When did they used to start dancing?

Edited by tropo

But you've missed the point. If the new sheriff isn't corrupt "or anything else you want to call it" then the bars should be open 24 hrs and dancing allowed anywhere anytime, as there's no law against it. Pretending that there is, or passing nonsensical regulations, was the way to get the bribes.

Looks like your faith is misplaced in one sense. In another, welcome to the new kind of corruption.

Next.

What you talking about ?? Bars are all licensed to certain times with a few at 24 hours. Its simply the start of it being enforced. "Next" might apply to you another one with their head in the sand

The Government dislikes prostitution; GoGo Bars and all the kinds of entertainment places that lure in underage workers; dancers as well as the type of tourist that all this appeals to. They could close all of them if they wanted to today. However, that will cause massive unemployment all at once and create too much disruption and possibly protests on the street. The easier way is to harass the owners; raid places; ban dancing; move up closing times. All this will make the business unprofitable and keep punters away and headed for other countries. Their plan is the Thai way- do it all gradually and let it happen naturally. The smart owners will understand what is happening and get out of the business or possibly adapt to the changes and cater more to family oriented tourists or the Chinese.

The Government dislikes prostitution; GoGo Bars and all the kinds of entertainment places that lure in underage workers; dancers as well as the type of tourist that all this appeals to. They could close all of them if they wanted to today. However, that will cause massive unemployment all at once and create too much disruption and possibly protests on the street. The easier way is to harass the owners; raid places; ban dancing; move up closing times. All this will make the business unprofitable and keep punters away and headed for other countries. Their plan is the Thai way- do it all gradually and let it happen naturally. The smart owners will understand what is happening and get out of the business or possibly adapt to the changes and cater more to family oriented tourists or the Chinese.

I don't think so, The Chinese sex tourist is just round the corner. shock1.gif

Please remember.

Thailand is Money number one, Not moral number one. wai2.gif

Next.

What you talking about ?? Bars are all licensed to certain times with a few at 24 hours. Its simply the start of it being enforced. "Next" might apply to you another one with their head in the sand

Duh. The "licensing" IS the regulatory mechanism for corruption. Arbitrarily changing the licensing also furthers the purpose, even if in a different form.

You'll catch up eventually. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

Thailand is money number one. However, the Chinese will never become sex tourists in Thailand. Thailand can make more money on the normal tourist business from the Chinese and Indians and domestic tourism of Thais coming for the weekends and long holidays. The money is in numbers and between the Chinese and Indians there are about 3 billion virtually untapped visitors who will spend much more as regular tourists Thailand no longer needs the sex entertainment business. Too many problems- drugs; HIV; underage Prostitutes; ladyboys-bad foreign press. It won't happen overnight but in 10 years time there will be a huge transformation very evident for all to see.

The new Pattaya sounds very nice

Thailand is money number one. However, the Chinese will never become sex tourists in Thailand. Thailand can make more money on the normal tourist business from the Chinese and Indians and domestic tourism of Thais coming for the weekends and long holidays. The money is in numbers and between the Chinese and Indians there are about 3 billion virtually untapped visitors who will spend much more as regular tourists Thailand no longer needs the sex entertainment business. Too many problems- drugs; HIV; underage Prostitutes; ladyboys-bad foreign press. It won't happen overnight but in 10 years time there will be a huge transformation very evident for all to see.

If you think you can see down the road for Pattaya in ten years time.

Good luck with that one. giggle.gif