Belgian ends it all with a helium bottle in Bangkok

rooster59

post-247607-0-71897200-1468105051_thumb.

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: Pahonyothin police called to an address in the northern part of Bangkok found a Belgian man with a hose leading from a black bin over his head. The hose was connected to a green canister of helium gas.

Found Friday he is thought to have been already dead for 3-4 days as decomposition had started to set in. His name was Stefan Don and he was just 37.

There was no sign of injury or evidence of a struggle in his room.

Police discovered that he was suffering from a liver disease. He had a Thai girlfriend but police had so far been unable to contact her.

Police supposed that he had committed suicide but his body was set for autopsy to confirm the reason for his death.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-10

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*OP edited out*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helium is a strange way to commit suicide as it doesn't produce any feeling of suffocation, but depletes the body of oxygen, leading to loss of consciousness and death. Flying off balconies is the usual modus operandi and this has got to be an absolute first so I presume this will be a field day for the armchair sleuths so let's see what TV detectives come up with !!!

Probably a lot of hot air excusing the pun,

RIP

Edited by Scott

Helium is a strange way to commit suicide as it doesn't produce any feeling of suffocation, but depletes the body of oxygen, leading to loss of consciousness and death. Flying off balconies is the usual modus operandi and this has got to be an absolute first so I presume this will be a field day for the armchair sleuths so let's see what TV detectives come up with !!!

RIP

AKA a suicide bag and according to the experts, the recommended way to do it, ie using an inert gas such as nitrogen or helium

RIP

You seem to prefer the types of threads you use to write in the good old days, hey Where you stay?

Seems like an excellent way to go with no pain or trauma, and little danger or mess left for others. I will remember that.

The guy apparently did his research and is to be commended for his thoughtfulness. Shame about the medical problem that presumably forced him to do it at such a young age.

Strange as t may seem there is a man in th USA who has written a book on the various ways to depart this world. They interviewed him on television and from what I remember this was one of the ways in his book.

RIP mate and condolences to your family

Where do you buy helium to start with? only in a party's accessories shop I guess, but this a restricted

substance to buy, how did he managed to buy a canister full of it is a mystery,

and why go into all this troubles if balcony diving is the in thing now days in Thailand?....

This is the besy way to go for all concerned when the time has come...can use nitrogen as well. Clean, neat, and painless. (Google "NO2 exit bag")

Yes I agree.. when you want to go make it as painless as possible.. though I would post a letter or something to notify someone so they would not be shocked. I think the Belgian did a good job finding a painless way. Well done. I am all for suicide (as long as you think about friends and family) Though I would not live on for just them. I feel everyone can decide him / herself when they want to end it all.

Where do you buy helium to start with? only in a party's accessories shop I guess, but this a restricted

and why go into all this troubles if balcony diving is the in thing now days in Thailand?....

Just buy a cylinder of nitrogen then...same thing.

Why did he go to all this trouble ?, maybe he didnt want to be remembered splattered all over a pavement with the BIB pointing in the photos.. if you want to leave this mortal coil one suspects Helium/nitrogen is the more dignifed thought out way to go.

Helium is used for arc welding

This is the besy way to go for all concerned when the time has come...can use nitrogen as well. Clean, neat, and painless. (Google "NO2 exit bag")

Saw a workmate stick his head into a pure nitrogen atmosphere once (unintentionally). Quietly passed out mid-sentence, but came round quickly enough when back in air. Had no idea what had happened.

BTW NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) is not Nitrogen gas (N2) and would be a rather unpleasant way to go out having a sharp biting odour. N2O is nitrous oxide AKA laughing gas which would be much more pleasant

Edited by halloween

Your comment makes no sense at all. If it is a restricted substance how come it’s readily available in party accessory shops?giggle.gif

Edited by midas

Years ago in Malibu California we had tanks of Laughing Gas at partys. Great fun to breath in a big hit and pass out for a few seconds. It helps to be 17 years old to do that kind of stupid sh*t. smile.png

Things have gotten more daring for teens today they do the strangulation thing now.

Sad story.. 37y old. Some might say middle aged but theres plenty of guys who would say the 30's are their prime time.

No girl in the world is worth to take your own life.. and liver disease isn't a death sentence in any way.

Edited by PomRakBKK

attachicon.gifbelgium.PNG

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: Pahonyothin police called to an address in the northern part of Bangkok found a Belgian man with a hose leading from a black bin over his head. The hose was connected to a green canister of helium gas.

Found Friday he is thought to have been already dead for 3-4 days as decomposition had started to set in. His name was Stefan Don and he was just 37.

There was no sign of injury or evidence of a struggle in his room.

Police discovered that he was suffering from a liver disease. He had a Thai girlfriend but police had so far been unable to contact her.

Police supposed that he had committed suicide but his body was set for autopsy to confirm the reason for his death.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png

-- 2016-07-10

w

RIP

--------------------------

I recall a report of a previous expat who chose basically the same route.

Altjough, as iI recall the previous guy put on a divers helmet and breathed in helium from the helmet.

Same basic idea however.

RIP and my sincere condolences to his family & friends

Why ?
Because it is the fatuously appropriate response in this situation for those who feel a need to offer comment but have absolutely nothing to say. Edited by HooHaa

Seems like an excellent way to go with no pain or trauma, and little danger or mess left for others. I will remember that.

The guy apparently did his research and is to be commended for his thoughtfulness. Shame about the medical problem that presumably forced him to do it at such a young age.

" .. or mess left for others."

He was very thoughtless in not alerting somebody beforehand that he may be soon found dead.

A corpse left to rot for several days is a ghastly job for people to clean up.

Stinking body juices pooled on the floor.

Maggots and flies in abundance.

A corpse that can not be simply lifted up and carried away as it tends to fall apart.

The apartment would need renovation to get rid of stains on the floor and rid the place of the lingering rotten smell.