Is Paypal blocking Thailand?

I m in Europe now and just did a online purchase from Hongkong to be delivered in Bangkok.

When i tried to pay by paypal i couldn't select my deliveryaddress in BKK, it said the address was on a list of forbidden countries. sad.png

In the past i have used that address (i live there) and there were no issues at all.

Even this week i spoke paypal on the phone and told them specifically to not limit my account in any asian country because i travel there a lot.

So what can i do if paypal blocks Thailand? The shop i did a purchase even ONLY accepts paypal.

Is that address listed as your mailing address? I have used Paypal for China order this week with no issues - but shipment address in most cases is required to be the same as listed on PayPal account.

MY Paypal account got hacked and emptied. Paypal got me the money back but then refused to let me use my account any more. (Despite going through all the rigmarole of telephoning to Ireland and son). No big deal fortunately but I have had quite substantial amounts with paypal and will NOT be using them again.

My paypal account has 6 different deliveryadresses and 1 of them is in Thailand. I can select which one i want to use but the Thai address can't be selected anymore. It will work for any of the other addresses that i have.

I will give them a call and hope they can fix it. I guess it's a safety-thing, some years ago they had also blocked my creditcard for Singapore without telling me. I think thailand is on the black list for the EU-banks, also Singapore is.

I'm not sure it's the sellers. When I try to buy something online and pay with PayPal, I can add a delivery address. The drop-down list box has virtually every country in the world, including Surinam and many other less developed nations. The only country that seems to be missing is the one I'm actually in. I called and asked them why and they tried to help but eventually admitted they couldn't explain it (?!).

My paypal account has 6 different deliveryadresses and 1 of them is in Thailand. I can select which one i want to use but the Thai address can't be selected anymore. It will work for any of the other addresses that i have.

I will give them a call and hope they can fix it. I guess it's a safety-thing, some years ago they had also blocked my creditcard for Singapore without telling me. I think thailand is on the black list for the EU-banks, also Singapore is.

They will not unblock it, I have the same issue. For Ebay it is no problem since my Thai address is registered with Ebay, so that is the only address the seller sees.

If other online purchases I ask the seller to send an invoice with my Thai address to my Paypal account, I then pay the invoice and it will show my address in Europe, but the seller knows my Thai address since he made the invoice.

That's what I do but I feel like it makes me sound a bit dodgy when I ask vendors to ignore my UK PayPal address and send the item to Thailand instead.

I don't dare to try it that way because i guess Paypal won't give you their insurance if you change the address to their "blacklisted country". And if they send the package to my address in europe it will be on the boat for 3 months.

Also there are many ebay-vendors who won't ship from China to Thailand, maybe you guys don't see them in your ebay in thailand. My ebay also works strange, even in europe it sometimes gives me prices in Thai baht or Canadian dollars sometimes, no idea why that happens.

But the only problem is that paypal won't let me ship to thailand, i can choose hundreds of countries as destination but not Thailand.

Also i don't understand why some vendors ONLY accept paypal, nothing else. Is Paypal so popular now in Hongkong?

I find eBay baffling at times. I have always searched for items on the eBay.com site because I assumed the results would include all international sellers but yesterday I tried the eBay.co.uk site and found results for what I wanted that had not appeared on the .com site. All the vendors on eBay.co.uk were quoting postage costs to Thailand so no idea why they were excluded from the .com results.

Re. PayPal and Thai addresses: I recently decided to try to resolve the issue and called PayPal customer service. The excuse they first gave me when I called and asked why I could not add a Thai delivery address when checking out was that it was related to 'security issues'. I asked them whether they were really telling me that countries such as Rwanda, Suriname, and Lesotho presented less of a security risk than Thailand and was put on hold for several minutes. When the guy came back he said that he couldn't really explain why I was not able to add Thailand as a shipping destination but he would send me an email explaining why (yes, I did wonder about that!). As you can probably guess, after 2 weeks I am still waiting for that email.

Edited by Mark123456

I find eBay baffling at times. I have always searched for items on the eBay.com site because I assumed the results would include all international sellers but yesterday I tried the eBay.co.uk site and found results for what I wanted that had not appeared on the .com site. All the vendors on eBay.co.uk were quoting postage costs to Thailand so no idea why they were excluded from the .com results.

Re. PayPal and Thai addresses: I recently decided to try to resolve the issue and called PayPal customer service. The excuse they first gave me when I called and asked why I could not add a Thai delivery address when checking out was that it was related to 'security issues'. I asked them whether they were really telling me that countries such as Rwanda, Suriname, and Lesotho presented less of a security risk than Thailand and was put on hold for several minutes. When the guy came back he said that he couldn't really explain why I was not able to add Thailand as a shipping destination but he would send me an email explaining why (yes, I did wonder about that!). As you can probably guess, after 2 weeks I am still waiting for that email.

Well then it's obvious that Thailand is being blocked by Paypal, i have the same issue. I will call them tomorrow and see what they can do.

So Hongkong is selling to the whole world (some even ONLY by paypal) and Thailand is stuck in the last century. Well it had to happen one day anyway.

A Thai friend of mine sells a lot of used brandname goods on ebay. One day he asked me why paypal had blocked him without a reason, now he couldn't sell anymore. I guess the suspected his business to be copy copy and just blocked him from their service.

If paypal won't work in Thailand i will go to Tokyo or Singapore to shop. Bring my wife and make it a nice holiday with a lot of taxfree shopping.

eBay is fine. Try checking out via PayPal from an independent vendor's website and it's a different story.

You mean ebay and paypal still work fine including shipping to thailand?

I tried to buy direct from that vendor's website, let me try ebay then.

I have heard that once you use ebay to ship to any address, that address Then shows uo on your paypal shipping address options thereafter, even if you use paypal anywhere else..

Maybe you can confirm after you give it a whirl.

You will need to include that address in your ebay address book first though.

eBay is fine. Try checking out via PayPal from an independent vendor's website and it's a different story.

You mean ebay and paypal still work fine including shipping to thailand?

I tried to buy direct from that vendor's website, let me try ebay then.

Does for me, yes. My Thailand address is a verified address with eBay.

I have heard that once you use ebay to ship to any address, that address Then shows uo on your paypal shipping address options thereafter, even if you use paypal anywhere else..

Maybe you can confirm after you give it a whirl.

You will need to include that address in your ebay address book first though.

No, that's not true.

Paypal is NOT blocking Thailand, i just bought my package from Hongkong and paid with paypal. I bought it direct from ebay instead of their own webshop....i think that's the trick.

Paypal let me fill in my thai address and details and the Thai paypal website let me do the payment (by automatic translator).

So i'm a happy customer again, except that i'll have to wait 9 weeks for shipping.

Use Aliexpress.

No thanks,

First the vendors only want to sell wholesale, then you can't contact them because they have some stupid private mailsystem which doesn't work. Then they have their own money, ali-pay or so.....

I'm very happy with Paypal and also ebay works well if the couriers are good at least.

I bought something from Canada 5 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived in Europe...The idiot sent it by boat for 2000 baht shippingcosts. People like that should be banned from ebay, because of him i'm stuck in Europe now.

The Chinese vendors on ebay send good products. Also China Post is working fast enough, 2-3 weeks is good enough for me with free shipping.

Shopping online with insurance from paypal is so much better then shopping in BKK. And for new technology which is affordable the Chinese have it all.

I guess my paypal wouldn't ship to Thailand out of safety-reasons. I have the same with my creditcard and bankcard who only give small amounts of money in Thailand or nothing at all.

I have complainted about that with my bank and they paid all my extra costs caused by that for last decade. Don't let them fool ya!

Paypal is NOT blocking Thailand, i just bought my package from Hongkong and paid with paypal. I bought it direct from ebay instead of their own webshop....i think that's the trick.

Paypal let me fill in my thai address and details and the Thai paypal website let me do the payment (by automatic translator).

So i'm a happy customer again, except that i'll have to wait 9 weeks for shipping.

My normal shipping time from Hong Kong/China (free shipping) has been running 2 to 4 weeks - most orders are received in about 3 weeks but lately have often had in two weeks.

Use Aliexpress.

No thanks,

First the vendors only want to sell wholesale, then you can't contact them because they have some stupid private mailsystem which doesn't work. Then they have their own money, ali-pay or so.....

I'm very happy with Paypal and also ebay works well if the couriers are good at least.

I bought something from Canada 5 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived in Europe...The idiot sent it by boat for 2000 baht shippingcosts. People like that should be banned from ebay, because of him i'm stuck in Europe now.

The Chinese vendors on ebay send good products. Also China Post is working fast enough, 2-3 weeks is good enough for me with free shipping.

Shopping online with insurance from paypal is so much better then shopping in BKK. And for new technology which is affordable the Chinese have it all.

I guess my paypal wouldn't ship to Thailand out of safety-reasons. I have the same with my creditcard and bankcard who only give small amounts of money in Thailand or nothing at all.

I have complainted about that with my bank and they paid all my extra costs caused by that for last decade. Don't let them fool ya!

What safety reasons? As I mentioned earlier, they will let me ship to Rwanda but not Thailand - you're surely not agreeing with them that Rwanda is safer than Thailand? The only possible reason I could come up with by myself was maybe it was a safety precaution in as much as if I had hacked into the account and I was logging in from Thailand, I wouldn't be able to buy something and send it to myself. However, I asked them that question and they said no, that was not the issue.

Use Aliexpress.

No thanks,

What safety reasons? As I mentioned earlier, they will let me ship to Rwanda but not Thailand - you're surely not agreeing with them that Rwanda is safer than Thailand? The only possible reason I could come up with by myself was maybe it was a safety precaution in as much as if I had hacked into the account and I was logging in from Thailand, I wouldn't be able to buy something and send it to myself. However, I asked them that question and they said no, that was not the issue.

What safety reasons? Don't ask me man, ask the EU banks. they must have bad experience with Thailand and Singapore becuase they blocked my creditcards for there without telling me. When i arrived on Changi airport i couldn't get any money from my cards.

Yes Thailand is on the list and Surinam isn't, i have never been to Rwanda so have no idea about the safety there. Thailand must be the hub for fake creditcard transactions i guess. Why are they on the black list?

Use Aliexpress.

No thanks,

What safety reasons? Don't ask me man, ask the EU banks. they must have bad experience with Thailand and Singapore becuase they blocked my creditcards for there without telling me. When i arrived on Changi airport i couldn't get any money from my cards.

Yes Thailand is on the list and Surinam isn't, i have never been to Rwanda so have no idea about the safety there. Thailand must be the hub for fake creditcard transactions i guess. Why are they on the black list?

Singapore? That definitely surprises me.

I got answer from paypal today, they wrote that i can ONLY use the main address from my paypal account. That's absolutely rubbish because i have 6 addresses that i used and they all worked. Now i can still use all of them except the Thai address.

I don't want to have a Thai bankaccount so can i still get a paypal account there? My paypal allready can use paypal websites in Thai language.

How much interest does a Thai bankaccount give these days by the way?