Two Passports, Get 6months?

Might be OK to use two passports coming in and out of Thailand but when you leave thailand on 'passport one' where will you go to because you will be wanting to enter that country on 'passport one' and leave on 'passport two', with no entry stamp for that country in 'passport two'. That would be a problem.

As said, landcrossings is a different story from arrival by air.

You leave Thailand on the same p/port as you had entered and arrive in another country by air showing the second p/port. Flying back to Thailand you thn can use the second one.

Still the computer might pick up the first one and show your previous stay. I said 'might'.

Thats OK first time round but the second time you would be leaving on the second passport and arriving on the first one, only the first passport will have an exit stamp dated some three months earlier. That would show a long, long flight.

No, that would be ok, it shows that you return after 3 months.

OK, if you say so, but I wouldn't want to land somewhere on a flight from Thailand with a passport showing a Thai exit stamp that is three months old and nothing in the passport since then.

If you arrive at the airport.both passports have same DOB,Same 'where were you born' same name.They also take a wee photo of you that pops up every time you come in and leave the country.

it is just a matter of time,before these cameras are used at some of the smaller exits.

now, do you think that the computer system can cross reference? :o

depends on the country you go to some dont stamp your passport for citizens (like the UK for example)

You are right, Mark, and the same is true for most, if not all, Western European countries. However, a trip to Europe merely to get a new visa-exempt entry stamp is not cheap. With that kind of money there are better options than trying to outsmart the new rules by juggling two passports, I think, and some of these options have been mentioned in this thread.

---------------

Maestro

Well, this really depends, where you arrive from Thailand. Going through one of the main European airports with a European passport, I dont think immigration bothers to check any stamps.

But once in Macao I had a bit of fun, presenting a brand new EU-passport without any stamps at the arrival immigration, coming from Hong Kong. The guy was getting very nervous, searching, searching. Asking me repeatedly "where you come from" (Hong Kong of course) Finally, he got the idea "You have other p/port?" and I showed him my HKG-Travel-pass with a stamp.

A two entry tourist visa ( extended twice ) will solve all the problems on one passport, and give you a 6 month stay ( with just 1 border crossing )

I said that about 10 posts before yours, but I guess the issue of holding 2 passports is much more interesting. Hoepfully the OP has read mine and yours posts and has gone on and solved his precieved problem. :o

TH

hi there, i have a german and a us passport and am wondering, can i enter the country on one passport, do my 90 days, leave the country and then re-enter with my other passport and get another 90 days? so I could stay 6 months, rather than just 90 days within any 180 day period?

do they check exist/entry stamps?

please help...

thanks

I

To do each of your "90 days" you will have to leave the country 2 times anyway. Why don't you just get a multi entry Tourist visa in one of the passports that will allow you to stay 60 days (plus 30 extension) each time. In six months you would only need to leave once. :o

TH

I thought of that, but it seems that i can't get a multiple entry visa with an american passport. even if I could, it seems to say everywhere than I can only stay for 90 days at a piece??

I

A two entry tourist visa ( extended twice ) will solve all the problems on one passport, and give you a 6 month stay ( with just 1 border crossing )

I said that about 10 posts before yours, but I guess the issue of holding 2 passports is much more interesting. Hoepfully the OP has read mine and yours posts and has gone on and solved his precieved problem. :o

TH

the multimple entry thing sounds great, but it seem sthat I can't get one as a US citizen. Also so far, I don't have a definite answer. it's seems hit and miss....

I

Two passports, can you get 6 months? Possibly more - it depends on the judge.

:o:D :D

Quite so

Why?

It is not illegal to have two different nationalities and thus passports issued by two diffrent countries.

no, it's not illegal. It's just frowned upon. when I got my us passport, it was totally impossible to get advice on how to travel with them, but it is legal.

I usually leave the country on one and enter with the other. so far i haven't had problems. whenever i enter the us (on my us passport) or Europe on my german passport, i never get stamped, so people never ask : where have you been?

hope that answers your question...

hi there, i have a german and a us passport and am wondering, can i enter the country on one passport, do my 90 days, leave the country and then re-enter with my other passport and get another 90 days? so I could stay 6 months, rather than just 90 days within any 180 day period?

do they check exist/entry stamps?

please help...

thanks

I

It's ok to use 2 passports. Just make sure you exit on the same one you came in on. As far as I know, most of the land border posts are not computerized, so it would be a good idea to arrive and leave that way.

sounds great, but then, what about not having an exit stamp in the passport?

Quite so

Why?

It is not illegal to have two different nationalities and thus passports issued by two diffrent countries.

Holding two passports is not illegal but....

You get an entry and exit stamp when you visit a country.

Your number 1 passport will be stamped with a Thai exit stamp and 'other' entry stamp.

Now you want to exit 'other' on your number 2 passport - how did you get into the country? No entry stamp.

Exit with No 1, entry with No 2 - how did you get out of the country with no exit stamp?

There are so many scenarios here to go into.

exactly! does anybody actually KNOW?? has anybody tried the two passport thing?

Edited by impything

Quite so

Why?

Holding two passports is not illegal but....

You get an entry and exit stamp when you visit a country.

Your number 1 passport will be stamped with a Thai exit stamp and 'other' entry stamp.

Now you want to exit 'other' on your number 2 passport - how did you get into the country? No entry stamp.

Exit with No 1, entry with No 2 - how did you get out of the country with no exit stamp?

There are so many scenarios here to go into.

exactly! does anybody actually KNOW?? has anybody tried the two passport thing?

SO I GUESS THE ONLY WAY WOULD BE TO FLY TO A COUNTRY WHERE NOBODY KNOWS WHERE I'VE JUST COME FROM SO I CAN JUST SAY I CAM FROM THE US OR EUROPE? (PRAY THEY DON'T CHECK), CAUSE IF I GO BY LAND, THEY'D HAVE TO CHECK THE EXIT/ENTRY STAMPS... PHEW THIS IS SO COMPLICATED...

It won't work at a land crossing, you have to swap passports in no-mans-land and Thai immigration will want to see an exit stamp from the other country.

It will probably work at airports, until the computer system makes the connection between the two passports, which may take a few hundred milliseconds or a month or two.

BUT, why bother, as the Good Doctor says, a double entry tourist visa (readily obtainable in either of your home countries) will do the trick and with only one border run.

THAT'S WHAT I KEEP HEARING, AND I TOTALLY AGREE, BUT WHEN I GO ONTO THE THAILAND EMBASSY WEBSITE IN LOS ANGELES, IT SAYS THAT AS A US CITIZEN I ONLY GET AT 60 DAY VISA, (I ASSUME THAT I CAN EXTEND IT WITH A BORDER RUN) BUT NOWHERE ON THAT WEBSITE DOES IT MENTION THAT I CAN GET A MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA. I USED TO BE ABLE TO GET THOSE EASILY WITH MY GERMAN PASSPORT... - SO, CAN I GET A MULTIPLE ENTRY IN LA ON A US PASSPORT? THE EMBASSY JUST WONT PICK UP THE PHONE OR REPLY E-MAIL.

It won't work at a land crossing, you have to swap passports in no-mans-land and Thai immigration will want to see an exit stamp from the other country.

It will probably work at airports, until the computer system makes the connection between the two passports, which may take a few hundred milliseconds or a month or two.

BUT, why bother, as the Good Doctor says, a double entry tourist visa (readily obtainable in either of your home countries) will do the trick and with only one border run.

THAT'S WHAT I KEEP HEARING, AND I TOTALLY AGREE, BUT WHEN I GO ONTO THE THAILAND EMBASSY WEBSITE IN LOS ANGELES, IT SAYS THAT AS A US CITIZEN I ONLY GET AT 60 DAY VISA, (I ASSUME THAT I CAN EXTEND IT WITH A BORDER RUN) BUT NOWHERE ON THAT WEBSITE DOES IT MENTION THAT I CAN GET A MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA. I USED TO BE ABLE TO GET THOSE EASILY WITH MY GERMAN PASSPORT... - SO, CAN I GET A MULTIPLE ENTRY IN LA ON A US PASSPORT? THE EMBASSY JUST WONT PICK UP THE PHONE OR REPLY E-MAIL.

Turn ya caps off - we hear you :o

Turn ya caps off - we hear you :o

caps turned off... things go crazy when you live there and people studdenly tell you there are problems... finally got through to the Embassy, yes, I can get a multiple entry on an americn passport, evne though the website doesn't mention it.

so, that's what I'll do. if i ever try the double passport thingy , i'll let you all know...

international guineapig..

muah

i

The website does indeed say it will not issue multiple entry tourist visas, but it also says that you can pay $25 per entry. Go get a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa. You enter there first time, get 60 days, in the last week of that 60 days, go to immigration and pay for 30 day extension. Leave country, come back in and get do the 60/30 day thing again. That will get you 6 months.. If you get the 3 entry visa, you can skip the 30 day extension and just leave and come back another time, again 6 months total.

This is realy easy, not sure why you are making it so difficult. :o

TH

Quite so

Why?

Or even two passports from the same country!!

Oleg you are in need of a sence of humour.i've been told there is a special on them at 7/11.

just whip down there and ask for a "longwate".you should be fine after that. :o

Chuchok, as you prescribed I went to 7/11 and asked that thing. In return they asked me, who gave me such tip, what gender and mental conditions of advisor. After I fail miserably, I just got bottle of Smirnoff and a tomato juice.

Was it close to your suggestion ? Really, I didn't get it.

Or even two passports from the same country!!

yep, can be. The passport is just a book, that proves that the holder is citizen of the country of issue. If I have two, three and so passports from different or the same countries - it does not mean a thing to anyone.

Now, if you applied for thai visa as american, and after that - as german, than there would be 2 completely different persons, although it is the only one fella.

Religious references deleted.

Astral

Might be possible , but if you change Passport you have to fly out .

Not sure if the Computer System will capture/compare old/new data.

the immigration officer on the airport know, if somebody use 2 passports.

My wife have also two passports - 3 years ago, she come to thailand with her German passport, than

she applied a thai passport too.

After this, she go to Mesai/Burma, go out with the German passport an go in with the Thai-ID card.

This year we go to K.L for renew my Non-Immigrant O - after the immigration in C.M. checked her Thai passport, he ask my wife, if she can show her German passport too :-)

Then the officer show her the history for our travels to and from Thailand on his computer - he know all about traveling in and out from Thailand.

Using two passports simultaneously whilst flip-flopping in and out of Thailand is bound to end in tears, and/or a fine and/or interrogation by Thai immigration one day.

I can just imagine the mind of a particularly nasty immigration chief: he would immediately think that a farang is somehow 'trying to beat the system' especially now that there is a new 3 visa/6 month rule. He will suspect nefarious intent.

Why risk being fined, imprisoned, interrogated then black-listed from Thailand, by playing games with two passports?

Using two passports simultaneously whilst flip-flopping in and out of Thailand is bound to end in tears, and/or a fine and/or interrogation by Thai immigration one day.

I can just imagine the mind of a particularly nasty immigration chief: he would immediately think that a farang is somehow 'trying to beat the system' especially now that there is a new 3 visa/6 month rule. He will suspect nefarious intent.

Why risk being fined, imprisoned, interrogated then black-listed from Thailand, by playing games with two passports?

Great point Libya. It would almost certainly be viewed that way in the light of new regulations.

Might be possible , but if you change Passport you have to fly out .

Not sure if the Computer System will capture/compare old/new data.

This year we go to K.L for renew my Non-Immigrant O - after the immigration in C.M. checked her Thai passport, he ask my wife, if she can show her German passport too :-)

Then the officer show her the history for our travels to and from Thailand on his computer - he know all about traveling in and out from Thailand.

ChinTHai, do you have any ideas if the officer had pulled her up based on her name or passport numbers?

I'm curious what happens when one gets a NEW passport to replace the old one that is expiring? It sounds like since it's all computerized, the computer will keep track of this too.

Also, it sounds like the computer systems are checking more rigorously at the border crossings than at the airport? Sounds the opposite to what I would expect, especially with the NEW BKK airport?? Does that mean that we are more likely to get refusal into the country at a x-border entry than an airport entry?

ChinTHai, do you have any ideas if the officer had pulled her up based on her name or passport numbers?

the new e-passports (german and thai) must only slashed through the reader and he have all your travel history on his screen.

Also from one day overstay (3 years ago) the officer know it.

I think it is danger to try to shit the immigration with two passports. I think, if you show your second passport with the new visa, he will ask you for the another passport, and if he see - that you have the limit of visas already - maybe you have a big problem.

what have having two passports (with different surnames (due to spelling)..

applying for a non imm o visa, using it for 15months doing broader runs, then fly to singapore, apply for another non imm o visa using the 2nd passport.

?

Isn't it blindingly obvious that the risk far outweighs any potential benefit here? :o

With retinal scans that are digitized, what will the official's reaction be to the identical digital info that shows up when you hand over the second passport?

"Please step this way, sir"... to the house of pain.

Edited by johnnyk

• 2 weeks later...

I have, in the past, had and used 2 passports from the same country. At the time, certain middle eastern countries did not allow entry by people having passports with stamps from certain african countries in them. I neded to visit both for business purposes, and when i explained this to the passport office at home they simply issued me a second passport. used one for africa, other for middle east, changed over mid flight. No questions ever asked, no problems.

However, i would not recommend the use of this just to circumvent the Thai law.