It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!

webfact

I am happy to know that the expats are happy. Yes, I am also happy to be in Thailand.

But I would like to know , whether there was questionnaires about colour discrimination and security in the inner streets in Bangkok.

because we have to face colour discrimination in most part in Thailand , starting from Immigration to visit any place. In Immigration white skins are often preferred to provide faster service than others and no cross question for this with the staff.

In inner streets in Bangkok , there are many areas where if you walk alone in late evening than anybody can robe you easily by showing knife or even gun also.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what? It's not April 1st! Oh well, you know what they say about statistics.

Does Thailand mean Happyland in English? How come no one asked me? Yes it is the cleanest dirty shirt in the laundry basket. Its no longer a case of positives in life anymore its the less negatives that prevail. Yes the mods are great they give us a lot of leeway. Edited by elgordo38

If North Korea had the opportunity for hookers, alcoholism and cheap living, some here would take that opportunity up. There even were happy people in Hitler's Germany. Don't tell them they weren't happy. The moaners here who don't love the regime in power just need to get used to people being detained and freedom to speak being taken away. Once you get past that you've got cheap people to use, a nation you can say is so great while you live off the wealth your home nation gave you, and of course the wine, women and song. Enjoy! Besides, anyone who is unhappy is profiled as a potential enemy of the state. smile.png

Actually, taking a survey on walking street at 2am when the OLD men like have a 28 year date on the way back to my condo that I've been trying to sell for years to pay for the hospital bills that my insurance won't pay and first I MUST pay and wait several months for a reimbursement.

As for owning a car, bike or house which as we all know is in your Thai's wife name and will always be hers and her families. It's Official but hey watch your bags when riding in a Tuk-Tuk.

That's odd. Both my motorbikes are in my name and so is the pickup truck.

I live in rural Thailand and have not been to Walking street for 4 or 5years.

I live on 15 rai in rural Thailand. Of course the land and house is in my wife's name. Why wouldn't it be? If it was in my name it would go to my wife and son when I die anyway.

Even in the UK the house was in joint names of my wife and I.

When we divorced I gave her everything except my pensions and what I could fit into a Ford Mondeo estate.

Sensible outlook on life. Have no idea how many step through are in my wife's name. Bought a car a few weeks ago, who's name? Wife, son or me? Couldn't be bothered to go to immigration and get a letter. Wife is the owner. She could take me to the cleaners ownership wise. I could take her to the cleaners financially. Fortunately we get on.

Average person earns 100k a month? What?? I must be in the wrong job then, I get half that, I know maybe 1 person here who earns 100k a month, what am I missing exactly?

You must missing a lot. I know a lot foreigners with over 100,000 Baht monthly payment. At the place I work are 5 of such guys, including me.

100K isn't that much, it's less than $3,000 US a month. There are a lot of people here with considerably larger pensions.

April 1st was the first thing to come to my mind also when reading this post. Just you beat me to it.

Official by who?

I think TAT snuck this in through someone. To be or not to be that is the question. Edited by elgordo38

It seems this survey was conducted by Nida.

Why wasn't I asked to participate in this bogus survey.

Give us a decent shake at immigration here in Chiang Mai and you got my positive vote. Bring back the online queue. Its become obvious why this life saver was cancelled.

Yeah sure. That's why there has been a mass exodus of westerners from the country the last couple of years. They left because they were too darn happy!

Still plenty of farang faces round here. Sure, some run home with their tail between their legs after they mess things up here. But plenty more arrive.

The expat demographic is shifting. The old guard may not be so content here any more, but Thailand isn't just a retirement home for horny westerners.

Yeah sure. That's why there has been a mass exodus of westerners from the country the last couple of years. They left because they were too darn happy!

Still plenty of farang faces round here. Sure, some run home with their tail between their legs after they mess things up here. But plenty more arrive.

The expat demographic is shifting. The old guard may not be so content here any more, but Thailand isn't just a retirement home for horny westerners.

Yes the number of retired old farts is increasing. That is all I have to say because if I use up to many words I will get that cue saying I have used up my allotment of words on the subject. Its a good topic so I have to save my bullets. Yes I am long winded. Edited by elgordo38

nothing like living the dream in a banana republic

"Banana republic or banana state is a political science term for politically unstable countries in Latin America whose economies are largely dependent on exporting a limited-resource product, e.g. bananas. It typically has stratified social classes, including a large, impoverished working class and a ruling plutocracy of business, political, and military elites.[1] This politico-economic oligarchy controls the primary-sector productions to exploit the country's economy" Wikipedia.

Close, but a "constitutional" monarchy, not a republic. However, the highlighted qualifications are the same.

Regardless, for every farang that leaves Thailand complaining about the country, there are two more farangs anxious to take his place.

Of the 884 carefully selected respondents how many were mods or were linked to the forum somehow and how many were selected from members who would likely say the right things ?

How long will this post last ?

You have shattered me and ruined my day to even insinuate that this poll was somehow screwered manipulated or massaged. What a dastardly thing to insinuate. I have lost all faith in mankind.

I assume that the sample surveyed was made up entirely of Thaivisa readers, no outsiders. Unfortunately there is nothing in the report that indicates how this sample was chosen. I'm not convinced that it's representative.

The statement, "It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!" looks to me to be anything but official.

Being here for almost half of my life, I have to say that I never felt more uncomfortable and more of a 2nd class citizen than in the past 3 to 5 years. This article is complete and utter nonsense. The part concerning the mods here on TV and TV itself really blew off the lid for me. Never read a text that biased for a long time. Congratulations to a new historical low in TV editorials... sick.gif

It seems this survey was conducted by Nida.

Why wasn't I asked to participate in this bogus survey.

Perhaps You didn't pass the pre survey profile screening process... But don't worry, it's seems most didn't, surveying only 884 people

Edited by farcanell

They love Thai visa news and mods to bits, a little strong i would say.

Yes Thai visa is a good informative site, but to say we love the mods O.T.T.

Agreed. I'm surprised your comment hasn't been removed yet biggrin.png

Calling it OTT is putting it mildly. Actually Thaivisa is patting itself on the shoulder, and treating as statistics a survey which does not comply in the least with the basic rules of normal surveys, I mean those that are actually designed to collect a body of somewhat objective, relevant and reliable information.

Edited by Yann55

Its strange how many of these deliriously happy ex pats are committing suicide every year.

It must be wonderful to be deliriously happy ex pats,after being beaten half to death by Thai gangs.

As the other Op did,i tired of Pattaya and Bkk after a while and moved to Isaan.I am happy and feel much safer here.Of course there is crime,but it is nowhere near as violent as BKK and the seaside resorts.

I know that village life would not suite everybody,but it does me.We had a party in our soi on Saturday night.We had music,singers, we danced,and had great fun.All the booze and food was free,and i was welcomed as part of village life.There was no sign of fighting,shooting,stabbing,or racial nastiness.In fact every woman that spoke to my wife,wanted to know how to get a ferang husband.I enjoy it here.

The term deliriously happy,would give the image of people hopping and dancing down the street every day on their way to work.Its a false statement.Its newspaper terminology.There is no such thing as deliriously.Its a silly term.The terminology alone would indicate that if one is deliriously happy,then they have no problems.We who live here know that problems,be they major or minor,arise every day.We deal with them,from painting the fence,to keeping your kids out of harms way.

Deliriously? only children are lucky to experience that situation.

I am happy,not deliriously, but enough to want to stay here and make it my home.

Good luck to all you 'deliriously happy' folk,i hope it remains like that for you.

Your post is sad. When you find yourself in a minority group you need to stop blaming other people and look inwards and ask yourself "what is it about me that is attracting violence?"

both in Pattaya and Bangkok. 99% of tourists and ex pats cruise through life here with no issues

Are you walking around sneering and staring at groups of Thai men? that can be a trigger... looks like you love a party and a drink but are you getting aggressive when blind drunk and dont remember the next day?

Hiding up country is not the answer, its a band aid solution.

Average person earns 100k a month? What?? I must be in the wrong job then, I get half that, I know maybe 1 person here who earns 100k a month, what am I missing exactly?

You must missing a lot. I know a lot foreigners with over 100,000 Baht monthly payment. At the place I work are 5 of such guys, including me.

100K isn't that much, it's less than $3,000 US a month. There are a lot of people here with considerably larger pensions.

100k a month? Should have paid more attention at school.

100k a month? Should have paid more attention at school.

The average joe working here gets $750 a week? Where do I apply?

I know lots of foreigners earning 300 to 500 k month 100k/m is chicken feed...

We have Thai nationals working for us who make 200k/m min

The labourers on the factory floor earn 30k/m

Bullshit!

It is funny and sad at same time to see so many posts here written with grumpy old men or incompetent people with bad manners which spit all around good!!!

People which have difficulties here can blame themselves and way of life they have!

Most of us have nice life here without conflict!We are happy in Bkk,Pattaya,Chiang Mai,Phuket and no need to go to small village in Issan to be happy(I accept that some people like country life style better)!

I am really happy with my life here ,same as most foreigners I know!!!