It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!

webfact

Hello Fellow Happy people,

Before I write what I am going to write I have to acknowledge that I will be trolled, abused, mocked, disparaged, ridiculed and quite possibly in the minority of cases be agreed with.

I have said it before and I will say it again, for those who feel the need to constantly bemoan their existence in Thailand, who feel it necessary to come up with a conspiracy theory on everything regardless of how trivial, please stop!

Crime, lawlessness, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, corrupt officials and bad driving happen everywhere in the world in varying degrees, there is no perfect state, no Nirvana - unless of course you can find a place of total isolation and be self sufficient. Among those states of varying degrees across the globe there may well be one which matches your needs a little better, one where you can feel a little more rounded or at home without the need to complain and I truly hope you will find such a place.

The message from me is heartfelt and please take it in the manner it is intended and it is 'do yourself and others a favour and move', unless you have some kind of travel embargo may I suggest you pack a bag and hop on some kind of transport and find your very own paradise thus leaving the rest of us to enjoy Thailand and allow the Thai people to have access to those of us who actually appreciate them.

Look forward to the myriad of responses I am sure to get.

Have a great day.biggrin.png

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course they are! Most are half drunk, stoned or both all day. It really does make TH seem like paradise. Done the research myself some years back. Once one hits the sober trail it all starts to look a bit different though coffee1.gif

Start drinking again?

If Thailand wants to make such comments I would suggest they keep them confined to the Thai's point of view. They do not know what the Expats think and are trying to make it harder and harder for all of us.

Personally I like Thailand but deliriously happy no sorry that is not a phrase I would use or even consider. When Thailand treats us on an equal basis with Thai's (never going to happen) then I probably will use the phrase. But when we are to some extent treated with contempt never will I use the phrase.

If Thai's were treated the same way in our home countries they would be up in arms and "delirious" I don't think would enter their minds

Apparently the survey had nothing to do with Thais. Expats voted. But blame others if you wish, British per chance?

Expats put in responses that they know would not draw attention to them. Ask the same people off the record and the response will be a lot different. I think I am British but never lived there for over 30 years so I have no interest in the UK.

No one said it did have anything to do with Thai's but it is the comparative between the two which I assumed you would have realised. Evidently your didn't

Thailand was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore. The freedoms that used to be are no longer. I personally am just waiting to sell some assets here cant wait to leave after 15 years very sad about the way the country has gone and is going.

Can you leave any sooner?

Untruths

#1 "Some 40% of people own property in the Kingdom" NOT TRUE, 0% of expats actually out and out own property in Thailand. Ownership via an agent is not true ownership. Owning a condo, only means you purchased the space within the walls.

Back to the dictionary for you: Simple Definition of property. : something that is owned by a person, business, etc

Average person earns 100k a month? What?? I must be in the wrong job then, I get half that, I know maybe 1 person here who earns 100k a month, what am I missing exactly?

I was wondering the same thing...perhaps the salary is augmented by funds brought from their native country?

Of course they are! Most are half drunk, stoned or both all day. It really does make TH seem like paradise. Done the research myself some years back. Once one hits the sober trail it all starts to look a bit different though coffee1.gif

Start drinking again?

Happy Daze!

post-134393-0-73044400-1468204134_thumb.

If Thailand wants to make such comments I would suggest they keep them confined to the Thai's point of view. They do not know what the Expats think and are trying to make it harder and harder for all of us.

Personally I like Thailand but deliriously happy no sorry that is not a phrase I would use or even consider. When Thailand treats us on an equal basis with Thai's (never going to happen) then I probably will use the phrase. But when we are to some extent treated with contempt never will I use the phrase.

If Thai's were treated the same way in our home countries they would be up in arms and "delirious" I don't think would enter their minds

Apparently the survey had nothing to do with Thais. Expats voted. But blame others if you wish, British per chance?

Expats put in responses that they know would not draw attention to them. Ask the same people off the record and the response will be a lot different. I think I am British but never lived there for over 30 years so I have no interest in the UK.

No one said it did have anything to do with Thai's but it is the comparative between the two which I assumed you would have realised. Evidently your didn't

Your post did start with "if Thailand wants to make such comments", expats made the comments. You have me beat on the 30 years, only managed 28 myself.

Actually, taking a survey on walking street at 2am when the OLD men like have a 28 year date on the way back to my condo that I've been trying to sell for years to pay for the hospital bills that my insurance won't pay and first I MUST pay and wait several months for a reimbursement.

As for owning a car, bike or house which as we all know is in your Thai's wife name and will always be hers and her families. It's Official but hey watch your bags when riding in a Tuk-Tuk.

Your post did start with "if Thailand wants to make such comments", expats made the comments. You have me beat on the 30 years, only managed 28 myself.

It is a little longer. I came here in 1983

Actually, taking a survey on walking street at 2am when the OLD men like have a 28 year date on the way back to my condo that I've been trying to sell for years to pay for the hospital bills that my insurance won't pay and first I MUST pay and wait several months for a reimbursement.

As for owning a car, bike or house which as we all know is in your Thai's wife name and will always be hers and her families. It's Official but hey watch your bags when riding in a Tuk-Tuk.

You let old men take 28 year old girls back to your condo? Do you hide in the wardrobe and watch?

How can most live in bkk or Pattaya and own property ? Foreigners are not allowed to own property ,thaivisa got that bit wrong ,what else?

Foreigners are not allowed to own "landed" property, but not let the facts get in the way of a good whine shall we ?

A foreigner can have their own name on a title deed for various condo's....ergo they own the property.

I can explain this to you, but I cant help you understand..

How can most live in bkk or Pattaya and own property ? Foreigners are not allowed to own property ,thaivisa got that bit wrong ,what else?

they cannot own a condo ?

or are you confusing property and land?

I am pleasantly surprised by this survey.

I myself was convinced that the vast majority of farangs in Thailand were indeed totally miserable... to the point I avoid contact with the farang community.

But it seems that I was mistaken, and that my bias came from reading the comments on thaivisa too often.

So, good news.

I am in the happy group too :)

Maybe if you stopped paying for 28 year old hookers then you might have a bit more money to pay your bills then...

Than I guess all those foreigners in Phuket that were told they needed to get a work permit in order to rent out their condos have nothing to worry about.

Archived