It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!

webfact

Thailand was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore. The freedoms that used to be are no longer. I personally am just waiting to sell some assets here cant wait to leave after 15 years very sad about the way the country has gone and is going.

i have been in pattaya 9 years and was getting tired of it. i am now living in esan and cant believe how good it is up here. you might just need a change of venue. thailand is still a great country to live.
you are correct that it is better out of the tourist areas. Personally I have just got tired of the stupid rules that keep being brought in and the threats each time of imprisonment and big fines ie e cigarettes 3 year prison sentences threatened seems every new law here comes with stupid threats the country and most people are lovely but I just dont like the general direction its going I will probably try Cambodia many of my friends have already gone there and they say its more foreigner friendly and more how Thailand used to be. This is only my personal view.

"Thaivisa forum moaners who sound as though they are abjectly miserable"

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore. The freedoms that used to be are no longer. I personally am just waiting to sell some assets here cant wait to leave after 15 years very sad about the way the country has gone and is going.

But where would you go and would it be better?Sure,Thailand is not perfect,but you tell us where your going that is sooo good and we're right behind you.

But where would you go and would it be better?Sure,Thailand is not perfect,but you tell us where your going that is sooo good and we're right behind you.
as mentioned in my last post I am going to try Cambodia many friends have already gone there and they say they feel much more relaxed and welcomed one can only try.

This half, of the other three halves mentioned, was happier 20 years ago before the powers that be mucked up the town with odd laws on opening hours, hours to buy booze and raids on bars. Even though I don't drink alcohol, it still has an effect on me. (like the 400 Baht I just donated to the beach road cops for helmet infraction). This will take the 'delirium' away quickly.

So you broke the law,pay on the spot and your complaining.Some people are hard to please.I have never been fined for a helmet infraction,maybe because i wear it.

i have been in pattaya 9 years and was getting tired of it. i am now living in esan and cant believe how good it is up here. you might just need a change of venue. thailand is still a great country to live.
you are correct that it is better out of the tourist areas. Personally I have just got tired of the stupid rules that keep being brought in and the threats each time of imprisonment and big fines ie e cigarettes 3 year prison sentences threatened seems every new law here comes with stupid threats the country and most people are lovely but I just dont like the general direction its going I will probably try Cambodia many of my friends have already gone there and they say its more foreigner friendly and more how Thailand used to be. This is only my personal view.

i have been in burri ram 3 months with my girl and kids. really good. no worries about the cops or any tourist ripoffs. people seem to be a better class. great to see most are decent family types. several friends go to cambodia each year, mostly to snookyville. last year one canadian mate got cracked over the head with the back of a machette and his motorbike stolen. dont think Cambodia is the answer, better to relocate within thailand.

To say that expats considering Thailand for the most part safe and using their opinions as a basis to disclaim other TV members who criticize the crime rate is absolutely ridiculous. Firstly, tourists do not have the same lifestyle as an expat! We expats know what to look for and where not to go and when to go if we must. Most expats go to the same places always and rarely venture out of their territory. Many do not go out at all unless they must.

So how can the writer of this mumbo jumbo be serious about the rest of his article if he makes such claims?

It must be a belated April fools day joke.

i have been in burri ram 3 months with my girl and kids. really good. no worries about the cops or any tourist ripoffs. people seem to be a better class. great to see most are decent family types. several friends go to cambodia each year, mostly to snookyville. last year one canadian mate got cracked over the head with the back of a machette and his motorbike stolen. dont think Cambodia is the answer, better to relocate within thailand.
a friend of mine got robbed here in Phuket by a gang on motorbikes and he is a tough lad it happens everywhere but you are right the area you are in is very nice I have stayed in surin many times and its much better than Phuket but the government is still the same.

as mentioned in my last post I am going to try Cambodia many friends have already gone there and they say they feel much more relaxed and welcomed one can only try.

Fair enough.Not too far,if you ever want to slip back for a holiday or something more permanent.A break is a good idea to see things from a different perspective.Good luck.

I'm not "deliriously happy." I'm more "milk toast happy." As for TV, well it is what it is...

"Deliriously" happy! Yes. Right. Is there a new drug to achieve this?

Most expats I see wandering around here looking pretty serious to me.

I'm whole grain toast myself.

I don,t get it ! A Thaivisa Survey, yet I have had no knowledge of it even though I read it every morning. How come this supposed survey was not common knowledge ? Why were we, the readers, not asked to for our feedback ? This survey is totally invalid and stinks :(

I live in the Surin area and it is ok.I don't see how the govt. can intrude on your life so much to want to make you leave.They don't effect me at all and there are so many loopholes in Thailand you can get around anything.I don't think Hun Sen is the answer but maybe no effect on barangs.His human rights are atrocious

I was deliriously happy yesterday at the end of my Pattaya massage.

Good for you, good for the massage crew (whatever gender they are)

I'm going to have breakfast, deliriously happy that it's cheap and healthy.

I was deliriously happy yesterday at the end of my Pattaya massage.

Good for you, good for the massage crew (whatever gender they are)

I'm going to have breakfast, deliriously happy that it's cheap and healthy.

Most expats live in Bkk or Pattaya, well , I would not live there unless you paid me 100k a month which no-one will so personally and I talk for many that live outside those two aforementioned concurbations I am reasonably happy, clean air ( not in Bkk or Pattaya ) good food reasonable prices and not stressed ( unlike Bkk or Pattaya ).

So if they did a survey of ALL Thai visa members the answers would be a lot different but then they would not do that, Seeking to cow-tow to the NCPO and show good response.

On topic though, Thailand for all its flaws is still a pretty cool country to live in. The weather is great, the people are generally pretty nice, the pace of life is good, the ease and accessibility with which one can get out and enjoy the country is top notch, the food is outstanding, the women are leagues above western women in almost every sense, and money can be saved pretty easily.

There are pitfalls sure, but if you take care of yourself, show respect and try to be a good citizen I find you have almost no problems.

A fair to topic response - think the claim of 100K may be a tad over the top or perhaps no English teachers took part ? The article may have been devised to 'stir up the possum'.

If Thailand wants to make such comments I would suggest they keep them confined to the Thai's point of view. They do not know what the Expats think and are trying to make it harder and harder for all of us.

Personally I like Thailand but deliriously happy no sorry that is not a phrase I would use or even consider. When Thailand treats us on an equal basis with Thai's (never going to happen) then I probably will use the phrase. But when we are to some extent treated with contempt never will I use the phrase.

If Thai's were treated the same way in our home countries they would be up in arms and "delirious" I don't think would enter their minds

If Thailand wants to make such comments I would suggest they keep them confined to the Thai's point of view. They do not know what the Expats think and are trying to make it harder and harder for all of us.

Personally I like Thailand but deliriously happy no sorry that is not a phrase I would use or even consider. When Thailand treats us on an equal basis with Thai's (never going to happen) then I probably will use the phrase. But when we are to some extent treated with contempt never will I use the phrase.

If Thai's were treated the same way in our home countries they would be up in arms and "delirious" I don't think would enter their minds

Apparently the survey had nothing to do with Thais. Expats voted. But blame others if you wish, British per chance?

Archived