It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!

webfact

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Average person earns 100k a month? What?? I must be in the wrong job then, I get half that, I know maybe 1 person here who earns 100k a month, what am I missing exactly?

Sounds like you're missing 50k a month.

Expat packages are well above that, local hire (especially English Language teachers) well below. You do the maths.

I have been in thailand (this) tour fourteen years, I have been a member of Thai Visa foir a long, long, time, AND I have had thai visa delivered to my computer on a daily basis since I have been here, pray tell when, where, and how did this so called survey take place? never heard of it! are you people trying to pull a fast one? Explain yourself!

Thailand was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore. The freedoms that used to be are no longer. I personally am just waiting to sell some assets here cant wait to leave after 15 years very sad about the way the country has gone and is going.

How else could you come out with the determination that members love the mods to bits considering it's against forum rules to discuss moderation.

This survey becomes more bogus the more I read into it.

Thai visa is good for one thing.

And that one thing is taking what other news agencies reported and doing a copy and paste.

a survey of people who use thaivisa report that they like using thaivisa. surprising. thailand is a great place to live but as for working here i am not so sure. i was self employed for 9 years and treated like a criminal despite employing thais and in some cases supporting their families. my friends who were professionals employed by multinationals often worked 6 days a week and very long hours. some were still happy to be in thailand even though they were doing long hours. is interesting how thailand gets a hold on us.

My first thought was that the Webfact "robot" had a software bug, maybe the survey figures somehow got transposed.

But I suppose I'm happy (only delirious when I've had a bad curry), have a job I enjoy and earn rather more than the average, have a lovely home with my darling wife (and her assorted creatures) and generally enjoy a lifestyle I couldn't dream of in the UK.

And I love all the mods (have to say that really).

Of course you love all the mods. You yourself are one.

On topic though, Thailand for all its flaws is still a pretty cool country to live in. The weather is great, the people are generally pretty nice, the pace of life is good, the ease and accessibility with which one can get out and enjoy the country is top notch, the food is outstanding, the women are leagues above western women in almost every sense, and money can be saved pretty easily.

There are pitfalls sure, but if you take care of yourself, show respect and try to be a good citizen I find you have almost no problems.

I 100% agree with your last sentence. Get to know your neighbors a bit, be respectful and friendly, care about the people around you. Goes a long ways!

I challenge Thai Visa to show some credibility and to create an online survey that every member can partake and ask the same questions that were asked of the hand chosen 884.

Are you up you the challenge?

Untruths

#1 "Some 40% of people own property in the Kingdom" NOT TRUE, 0% of expats actually out and out own property in Thailand. Ownership via an agent is not true ownership. Owning a condo, only means you purchased the space within the walls.

#2 "80% professed themselves either happy or blissful." NOT TRUE, oh come on, BLISSFUL. Happiness in Thailand has basically 3 tiers, 1) a large pension 2) a well paying job with good benefits 3) people who have chosen a frugal and natural rural lifestyle (my favorite). If BLISSFUL is the going descriptor, I'd lay bet, that this probably is linked mostly to men.

#3 "57% stating that they have health insurance" NOT TRUE, Who's going to admit they don't have it. The cost of outpatient is still reasonable if you avoid the big venues, like Bungrungrad and purchase your prescriptions in a local pharmacy. Hospital pharmacies can be as much as 500% over the cost of a local pharmacy.

Seems to me, this article was more about Thai Visa patting itself on the back. Though, I would be among many to say, I appreciate it's existence.

Of course they are! Most are half drunk, stoned or both all day. It really does make TH seem like paradise. Done the research myself some years back. Once one hits the sober trail it all starts to look a bit different though coffee1.gif

Well you obviously never took living here seriously. Staying drunk and stoned all day in any country will pretty much yield the same results, no?

I live in Thailand and I am extremely happy (Joe)

Furthermore, I believe that this country is totally safe to live and work.

I think to be perfectly representative of the expatriates living here and those who criticize the country to post length are embittered people, losers damaged by their mistakes and who found this area to express their unhappiness.

Thailand was once a great place to live but sadly not anymore. The freedoms that used to be are no longer. I personally am just waiting to sell some assets here cant wait to leave after 15 years very sad about the way the country has gone and is going.

i have been in pattaya 9 years and was getting tired of it. i am now living in esan and cant believe how good it is up here. you might just need a change of venue. thailand is still a great country to live.

was anyone aware of this survey before today or is it just a made up news story for a slow day?

I've lived here since 92. The only freedom taken away that I can notice is that there are only certain times a day you can buy booze and the bars aren't open all night (well, mostly). Other than that? Sorry to hear that you don't feel free anymore, good luck on your next country!

Average person earns 100k a month? What?? I must be in the wrong job then, I get half that, I know maybe 1 person here who earns 100k a month, what am I missing exactly?

You must missing a lot. I know a lot foreigners with over 100,000 Baht monthly payment. At the place I work are 5 of such guys, including me.

About 50,000 Baht, it would seem.

One thing for sure, this thread will bring out those who are not happy.

Say what? It's not April 1st! Oh well, you know what they say about statistics.

The survey this relates to must be that questionnaire with all the loaded questions on TV a few weeks ago, fill it in/provide your email address and lo and behold you start getting spammed with "offers" from Thailand.

This half, of the other three halves mentioned, was happier 20 years ago before the powers that be mucked up the town with odd laws on opening hours, hours to buy booze and raids on bars. Even though I don't drink alcohol, it still has an effect on me. (like the 400 Baht I just donated to the beach road cops for helmet infraction). This will take the 'delirium' away quickly.

About 50,000 Baht, it would seem.

Okkkkkkkkkkkk; please post available farang jobs. Oh, and house ownership stated, please help me quickly buy my rental house. BS.

I have been in thailand (this) tour fourteen years, I have been a member of Thai Visa foir a long, long, time, AND I have had thai visa delivered to my computer on a daily basis since I have been here, pray tell when, where, and how did this so called survey take place? never heard of it! are you people trying to pull a fast one? Explain yourself!

"Thaivisa forum moaners who sound as though they are abjectly miserable"

i have been in pattaya 9 years and was getting tired of it. i am now living in esan and cant believe how good it is up here. you might just need a change of venue. thailand is still a great country to live.
you are correct that it is better out of the tourist areas. Personally I have just got tired of the stupid rules that keep being brought in and the threats each time of imprisonment and big fines ie e cigarettes 3 year prison sentences threatened seems every new law here comes with stupid threats the country and most people are lovely but I just dont like the general direction its going I will probably try Cambodia many of my friends have already gone there and they say its more foreigner friendly and more how Thailand used to be. This is only my personal view.

You must missing a lot. I know a lot foreigners with over 100,000 Baht monthly payment. At the place I work are 5 of such guys, including me.

I know lots of foreigners earning 300 to 500 k month 100k/m is chicken feed...

We have Thai nationals working for us who make 200k/m min

The labourers on the factory floor earn 30k/m

Someone has definitely been on the happy juice. What a load of rubbish this article is.

More than half in Pattaya earn Baht 100,000 what is that? Is that supposed to be some magical number that everyone aims to achieve? I wouldn't get out of bed for that money. It isn't a great salary at all especially when you would be paying tax on it.

I think whoever wrote this hyped article needs to read TV and see some of the comments.

Archived