Three teens died in bid to escape police chase for street race in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good bye and good riddance!

Well done cops! It's just a pity they were injured. 10 out of 10 for getting tough on some of these clowns and trying to make the roads safer.

Good job.

Artisi is right in his claim (post 22) that Aussi police are required to call off any chases that may cause danger to others... This is both to protect the general public, and the police,( from accusations of overzealous behavior, etc etc) however, sooner or later, they usually still get their man.

That said, cutting of the flight or retreat path is a common tactic (more especially with cars though), as is the PIT maneuver, or the placement of spikes across the road.... All life threatening tactics for both pursued and pursuers.

Fleeing police is a risky crime in itself, and those fleeing are 100% culpable for the outcome, in my opinion anyway.... And in this instance, it seems that the perps have paid the ultimate penalty for their actions

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.

Edited by farcanell

Driver over 18? Drivers license? Helmets?

The world lost at least one idiot in this crash! If the police order you to stop and you decide to speed away and don't stop then you are the one that is responsible for what happens after! The parents of the pillion riders should blame the driver and if he was under 18 then they should sue his parents as they would be responsible for him and he having a motorcycle in the first place.

No, the morons who pulled in front of the bike with three teenagers on it are responsible for these deaths.

They should be arrested and charged with causing the deaths when they get out of hospital.

Racers could have killed innocent people

Driving like idiots....good the cops went

After them, 100% the teenagers fault, told

To stop and ignored the police, sad, but maybe

Other teenagers will learn....

No, 100% the fault of those who pulled in front of them in a moronic attempt to stop them.

Well done cops! It's just a pity they were injured. 10 out of 10 for getting tough on some of these clowns and trying to make the roads safer.

Good job.

Killing them isn't getting tough.

It's murder/manslaughter.

I'm all for getting tough on crime but there is a limit and any force used must be appropriate to the situation.

RIP...

If they weren't racing this would not have happened.

If they weren't running from the police this would not have happened.

If they were wearing helmets they might still be alive.

If the police didn't stop the driver he may have killed even more people in the future.

A lot of "ifs" but each one is something to think about.

None of the things these teens did deserved them being killed.

The only thing that needs thinking about for me is how long the cops should be gaoled for.

The three teens and the two officers were critically injured.

The three teens were pronounced dead on arrival for serious wounds on the heads, faces and bodies.

The two officers also suffered broken teeth, cuts on faces, broken bones on the shoulder.

Seems to me that the teens were way more "critical" than the cops whose injuries are far from life-threatening.

I'm sure that there must have been a way to catch the youngsters without resorting to this. Police brutality.

It is likely the kids were not wearing helmets. It is possible the police were. Depending on the mechanics of the collision, that could account for the disparity in outcome.

I doubt there is a manual on intercepting a fleeing motorbike, or other vehicle as up to now it is not something the police have done. They have relied heavily on static road blocks. Someone needs to do some research and training if they are to make a habit of pursuing driving offenders as neither the police or the person being pursued really knows how to conduct themselves in this situation.

Good job.

I'm all for getting tough on crime but there is a limit and any force used must be appropriate to the situation.

It was a maneuver that backfired and resulted in 3 deaths and 2 injuries. It most certainly wasn't murder. An accident.

Good job.

It was a maneuver that backfired and resulted in 3 deaths and 2 injuries. It most certainly wasn't murder. An accident.

It wasn't an accident if they intended to pull in front of the teens.

Negligence such as this, leading to deaths should be punished accordingly.

It will make bugger difference. Probably better to exterminate the kids on the spot, saves fuel, no crashed bikes and the BIB can take it easy without any risk to themselves,now that should teach the kids a great lesson in life, shouldn't it?

First question - do those teenagers possess driving licenses?

If not, why do their parents allow them on motorcycles? They are the first responsible party to the outcome.

their entire family makes less money than you do. the thai system is designed to create slaves in the society, we have "pu yais" and other fake titles of superiority.

your right though, thai kids shouldnt be driving motorbikes, they should be out having drive by shootings or out stabbing random people, like the US or UK.

you have an easy life in thailand. maybe your thai GF does everything for you. To me, you are in a very very bad position. one day you will have the tiniest of problems that will be compounded with the addition of a thai policeman or thai female. and ill say, "where was your paperwork? You should have known that would happen. "

It will make bugger difference. Probably better to exterminate the kids on the spot, saves fuel, no crashed bikes and the BIB can take it easy without any risk to themselves,now that should teach the kids a great lesson in life, shouldn't it?

according to thai culture, the kids were evil and will be reincarnated into a dog or something. thais DO NOT LEARN LESSONS, they only learn to scam more effectively.

Good job.

Shame it wasn't your kids, maybe you're too screwed up to have any anyway - but keep up the good work and maybe you could push for on the spot execution for all wrong doer's.

Good job.

Definitely a lot of conjecture here, which would not be the case, if the lawbreakers had not been injured

However, to simplify this tragic event..... In this case, we have one party, the officers lawfully charged with apprehending wrong doers, and who undoubtedly miscalculated in their attempt to cut off the fleeing law breakers, who sped up to evade capture

And a second party, who were engaged in multiple crimes, including public endangerment, speeding, reckless driving, fleeing the scene of a crime, failing to comply with a lawful directive from police to stop, whilst attempting to evade capture (probably missed a few, too)

Also.... Its rather silly to suggest that the police actually intended to cause a traffic accident, which occasioned self harm, in their attempt to apprehend these law breakers... More than silly, actually, so therefore it can only be seen,( by anyone with common sense anyway), as an unfortunate accident (or a maneuver that "backfired")

The right and wrongs are self evident, and it's regrettable that two officers, in attempting to apprehend these thugs (as are so often described in this forum, when they actually escape or injure others) were injured themselves.

If the thugs had obeyed the lawful instruction to stop, none of this would be in discussion here.... You can't have it both ways.

Certainly tragic... RIP to the "thugs"... But you reap what you sow.

Edited by farcanell

Definitely a lot of conjecture here, which would not be the case, if the lawbreakers had not been injured

However, to simplify this tragic event..... In this case, we have one party, the officers lawfully charged with apprehending wrong doers, and who undoubtedly miscalculated in their attempt to cut off the fleeing law breakers, who sped up to evade capture

And a second party, who were engaged in multiple crimes, including public endangerment, speeding, reckless driving, fleeing the scene of a crime, failing to comply with a lawful directive from police to stop, whilst attempting to evade capture (probably missed a few, too)

Also.... Its rather silly to suggest that the police actually intended to cause a traffic accident, which occasioned self harm, in their attempt to apprehend these law breakers... More than silly, actually, so therefore it can only be seen,( by anyone with common sense anyway), as an unfortunate accident (or a maneuver that "backfired")

The right and wrongs are self evident, and it's regrettable that two officers, in attempting to apprehend these thugs (as are so often described in this forum, when they actually escape or injure others) were injured themselves.

If the thugs had obeyed the lawful instruction to stop, none of this would be in discussion here.... You can't have it both ways.

Certainly tragic... RIP to the "thugs"... But you reap what you sow.

The actions of the BIB by pulling in front of these teens should be investigated and if it is found they caused the deaths because of their incompetence they should be gaoled.

However I am not holding my breath as this sort of thing is usually covered up.

I'm all for reasonable force being used but this was gross negligence and these deaths should not go unpunished.

Well, just a few nasty nasty teens dead, at least no face lost for the police overall, case closed... ("If you don't get caught you're lucky".....)

Trust you are being facetious with that comment but it seems the BIB did lose some face, teeth and skin etc.

Also, shame you're not saying 2 nasty police dead, case closed ..... seeing as how directly caused the deaths -- should have let them go, no point in killing 3 kids to make a point.

of course the police have been silly - I would expect them to be able to take down a fleeing motorcycle without getting themselves hurt in the process.

2am, 14 y/o out, seriously, what the hell are the parents thinking of. Yes it is sad they died but they refused to obey a direct order from the police and tried to outrun them, the police did a not so bright thing but the bike driver was still in a position to stop and avoid the accident, he chose instead to keep going and crashed into the police killing himself and his 2 pillions. The blame has to lie with the driver of the bike, the police may well have been culpable as well but unless we know how far ahead and exactly what happened we cannot say for certain, I am a father and I know I would never allow my kids to go out till that time of night especially with other idiots on bikes, they had curfews but until thai parents start taking responsibility for their kids and what they do this will never change. My condolences to the parents but they need to accept that the bike driver was the one responsible, if he had of obeyed the law this would not have happened, way past time that these morons accepted they cannot keep breaking the law and then blaming everyone else except themselves when something like this happens, the ones that went to the hospital are just as guilty by association.

Police Lt. Col. Pairote Traitham said the two officers under his supervision insist they were following procedures. He believed the teens died because they were not wearing helmets.

No criminal complaint has been filed in the case. Pairote said he has ordered an investigation into whether the officers used excessive force.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/07/11/three-teens-killed-bangkok-police-chase/

Another tragedy could have probably been averted with a telephoto digital camera, a quick plate number search and a knock on the door the next day.

No trauma, no drama, no risk to rider or police, and not many repeat offenders if the scooters matching the photos end up in the possession of the police.

Edited by impulse

Wow ! 50% say the BIB were wrong and 50% say the underage , no crash helmet , no licence and no idea teens were wrong . My vote goes the BIb , not often they get a well done from me but this time yes , BIB 1 - Hooligans 0.

Yeah, killing 3 teens is real justice.

For pity's sake...

It's always a shame when something like this happens, that people always start looking for the guilty party. As a parent with a 20 year old son into bikes, I have spent the last 4 years worried about my sons riding. He is a biker and was riding up to sixty miles a day as soon as he could ride a moped legally. I have had the call that he had been hit by a car. Seemed they had installed new traffic lights on a roundabout and the car had driven through on red. Luckily my son survived. But I would have hated then for someone to tell me it was my fault as I should know where my 16 year old son was.

So these kids were younger than 16. Different rules in Thailand and so what? Their parents will be devastated and no amount of finger pointing will bring the kids back.

But it is also not the Police officers fault, they are under huge pressure to address the situation, constantly accused of failing to do their jobs. Everybody says they need to address the scooter problem, but when they try and use the direct enforcement approach to do so it will always lead to conflict.

There is no right and wrong here, just three kids, who being typical kids and doing what kids will do, have now unfortunatly lost their lives.

RIP

First question - do those teenagers possess driving licenses?

If not, why do their parents allow them on motorcycles? They are the first responsible party to the outcome.

The teenagers are all dead so the question is irrelevant and pillion riders do not need licences.

Irrelevant or not.

The teenagers gambled, and lost, game over.

Som nam na