Thai Culture Ministry trains youths going abroad to serve as cultural ambassadors

webfact

Ministry of Culture trains youths going abroad to serve as cultural ambassadors

BANGKOK, 11 July 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Culture has organized a program to encourage Thai youths living abroad to serve as a cultural ambassadors of the nation as well as to enhance the nation’s cultural heritage both at home and abroad.

Over 50 students set to depart for studies in the US, France, Sweden and Australia attended the launch of the program for 2016. The youths will spend several days engaging in talks and discussions at the Bangkok National Museum set up by the Ministry of Culture so that they maintain communities of Thai people while abroad while acting as ambassadors for the Kingdom.

One talk to take place during the meeting is titled “Knowing Thailand” and will be given by Surat Jongda, a professor from the Fine Arts College. The talk will provide knowledge on Thailand’s religions, art and history. The students will also go on an observational tour of Nakhon Pathom, Samut Songkram and Ratchaburi provinces to bolster their knowledge of Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-11 footer_n.gif

Quite a few at home always think Thailand is Taiwan and when you explain no Thailand they just see it represented by ladyboys, prostitutes, Elephants and scams. The kids will have their work cut out smile.png

More heat than light. Wishful thinking at its finest.

Waste of effort, though It does confirm that the Thai Government recognises that its international image needs work. This is largely the responsibility of the widely un-esteemed illegal junta government, which claims to be assisting Thailand but which in fact is well on the way to destroying it.

Winnie

It seems the current "government" is desperate for some international goodwill.

I am pretty sure recent history will not be taught - however it would be nive to know what history subjects will be taught though - and then watch the students recount those stories to their academic friends abroad. I am pretty sure someone will ask interesting questions as they would have unlimited access to knowledge banned in this country.

Why specifically pointing out Surat Jongda? He is as far as I can read an expert on khon/khol dance, which probably has very little interest outside of Thailand and Cambodia.

In my experience, it is the Thais who live and travel abroad who ARE already the best ambassadors for this country.

Anything the Ministry of Culture might try to influence these people will only confuse and detract from what they would have said and done on their own.

More seriously, talk that provides "knowledge" on Thailand’s religions, art and "history" smacks of propaganda.

Each and everyone one of us is an Ambassador of our country when we travel overseas. Thailand is not unique in this.

Are they going to preach the official line of Thailand when overseas or are they going to tell the truth? That is a big potential problem

Edited by gandalf12

I don't mind people speaking about their home countries. I don't mind them being proud. But they'll lose me in a conversation if they start saying how great their home contry is. Can't be that great cos you don't live there. Also, when something is great, there really is no need to say it. You should already be safe in the knowledge that you don't have to.

most Thai's i know that live abroad wouldn't want to go back to their own country. There was an interesting article in a newspaper some years ago.interviewing Thais who lived in Europe,all said they enjoyed the freedom from corruption and the fairness in treatment by the authorities.A Thai couple in Denmark even wanted to give up their Thai nationality and become Danish.

How will they be prepared to answer questions about the current situation here without it sounding like official propaganda ?

There's every possibility those asking questions will have a better insight than the students do since they have seen the uncensored international media since the junta took over.

most Thai's i know that live abroad wouldn't want to go back to their own country. There was an interesting article in a newspaper some years ago.interviewing Thais who lived in Europe,all said they enjoyed the freedom from corruption and the fairness in treatment by the authorities.A Thai couple in Denmark even wanted to give up their Thai nationality and become Danish.

I agree with you. My wife used to travel around the world with me and she openly said she didnt want to live back in Thailand

Wow....sounds good....Interested....!!! How can you be what you have not learnt at home or in school, let alone practice in your own country.....How do you define justice, Bribery, Prostitution and corruption....SMILE...ah ok....should sell..... More how do you stand up to being responsible and non racist.....I really hope this works out for Thailand.... My prediction...the world will show them two things....first they will be forced to use their brains and secondly, that the rest of the world knows more of Thailand than an average Thai knows of his own country......

Edited by alanferdi