Getting phone charging port fixed, any advice?

jadee

Hi, the charging port at the base of the phone is broken. I bought multiple batteries to charge at the mains and have been swapping the batteries as a stop-gap measure.
I watched a 'how-to' video on youtube about fixing the charging port but can't do it myself. Has anyone here had a phone's charging port repaired? Could they give me any advice? Would a phone shop be able to do the repair or should I go to a Samsung service center?
The reason I'm asking is that the phone is out of warranty but when it was in warranty, I took it to the Samsung service center. They didn't give a quote or a timeframe and actually returned the phone a few weeks later without solving the problem. Not a great experience. I have been to one local phone shop who said they couldn't fix it. Before I give up, I wanted to ask on here to see whether anyone has experienced a similar problem and managed to get it fixed.
Many thanks

I've done my S2 myself about once a year when sweat and lint goobers up the micro-USB port. But it requires no soldering.

For the GF's S3, we took it twice to a random kiosk in Fortune Town and MBK to get it done. It requires soldering. Both times, worked like a champ.

Don't give up. But don't go to a new phone store, either. They have neither the equipment, the skills, nor the incentive to repair your phone. They want to sell you a new one.

Go next door to the thrashed out looking kiosk with the nerd in back that repairs phones and sells repaired phones from their display.

Can be fixed at MBK. You'll probably get run around a bit because no matter where you ask, they will say "Wait five minuit..." and run off with your phone. When they come back 10 minutes later, they will give you a quote that's about double of what the actual repair guys really charge....that's just the way it works there. Finding the real repair guys isn't easy.

Forune Tower repair shops (Rama9 MRT) have a better reputation. I don't know if "Pro-Corner" computer repair on the 3rd floor does phones but Nick, the manager might be able to recommend someplace decent. I also had really frustrating experiences at Samsung Service and would never go back.

Thanks for the replies both of you. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I was searching on Aliexpress for replacement charging ports, only $2 for two. I then realized that as I only need to repair the port to charge the battery, I can just buy a wireless charging kit instead. They are only $7 with free shipping, so I think I'll try that.
Thanks again though, for taking the time to reply. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...