Bus From Chiang Mai to Bangkok?

MickeyMaow

Approx 12 hours. Mo Chit station. Around 400 baht for VIP IIRC. Awful trip sad.png Got stuck and had to use it once when all other options full. I'd rather use the sleeper train if flying not an option.

Edited by SooKee

Nakhon Chair Air VIP or Gold Class, 8hrs , English movies on your own screen, drinks and a meal provided, own terminal in Bkk near Mo Chit, around 900 Baht ,several times a day

IME they also go on to Mo-Chit, after stopping at their own terminal.

My last trip to BKK was by the day train. Interesting to watch the countryside roll by. No crazy drivers.

Yes, it's 12 hours, but much more relaxing than bus.

Nakhon Chair Air VIP or Gold Class, 8hrs , English movies on your own screen, drinks and a meal provided, own terminal in Bkk near Mo Chit, around 900 Baht ,several times a day

Also stops at Rangsit (mega shopping centre) if you want to be on that side of the city. Just make sure your bags go storage in last.

Nakhon has I believe a very good safety record and the buses are monitored from their base in regard to their location ie no speeding.

Used them many times when time has not been important.

I took a bus to MoChit a few years back. Upscale with few stops, toilets, a bit of food and drink offered. Had to accept police inspections 2x, but they weren't looking for me. Was o'nite and i slept OK. Save money? Can't say that.

AIR ASIA ONLINE ON SOME DAYS AND TIMES EVERY WEEK AS LOW AS 700 THB TO DON MUENG AIRPORT

Yes flights to BKK are cheap now if you can book well in advance. But when you have to go on short notice it's not so much.

Currently I'm using Thai-smile and paying 1780 each way. Next time I'll try flying to DMK

Edited by MickeyMaow

I took a bus from the Arcade to Bangkok once; I wouldn't do it again. Even if you have to pay 2,000 return to fly there, that's only just over 1,000 more than the VIP coach services and it takes an hour instead of 12. Personally, I think my time is worth a lot more than 90 baht an hour so I would not even think about the bus unless I were potless (and if I were potless, I can't see much point in travelling to Bangkok in the first place!)

I took a bus from the Arcade to Bangkok once; I wouldn't do it again. Even if you have to pay 2,000 return to fly there, that's only just over 1,000 more than the VIP coach services and it takes an hour instead of 12. Personally, I think my time is worth a lot more than 90 baht an hour so I would not even think about the bus unless I were potless (and if I were potless, I can't see much point in travelling to Bangkok in the first place!)

12 hours? You must have taken the bus with chickens hanging off the back.whistling.gif NCA is only 9.5 hours. http://www.primia.net/thaibus/ thumbsup.gif

Those 1 hour BKK-CNX flights, very often means 4-5 hours long trip (getting to the airport in BKK, early arrival to drop the luggage, wasting time at the airport, boarding, very often delays, luggage pick up etc etc.)

If there is a bus option that takes 8 hours, is comfortable, can use electronics and internet (mobile data / wifi) the whole time, power sockets, my own snacks and food that I like, and no baggage weight limitations, drop off at the city center, and save me coupe of thousand baht, I would also choose the bus.
Some people are very scared of flying (even if that doesn't make sense statistically).

If planned fast train between BKK-CNX one day will really happen,that would be a winner for me.

AIR ASIA ONLINE ON SOME DAYS AND TIMES EVERY WEEK AS LOW AS 700 THB TO DON MUENG AIRPORT

Yes flights to BKK are cheap now if you can book well in advance. But when you have to go on short notice it's not so much.

Currently I'm using Thai-smile and paying 1780 each way. Next time I'll try flying to DMK

If not needs to fly on specific days and times, CM to BK by AirAsia can be as low as 1500 THB round trip not paying extras. I did many times this year.

If not needs to fly on specific days and times, CM to BK by AirAsia can be as low as 1500 THB round trip not paying extras. I did many times this year.

That was last year. Just checked AA leave July 15 and return July 17 CNX to DMK cost is 3875.45 baht.

Those 1 hour BKK-CNX flights, very often means 4-5 hours long trip (getting to the airport in BKK, early arrival to drop the luggage, wasting time at the airport, boarding, very often delays, luggage pick up etc etc.)

If there is a bus option that takes 8 hours, is comfortable, can use electronics and internet (mobile data / wifi) the whole time, power sockets, my own snacks and food that I like, and no baggage weight limitations, drop off at the city center, and save me coupe of thousand baht, I would also choose the bus.

Some people are very scared of flying (even if that doesn't make sense statistically).

If planned fast train between BKK-CNX one day will really happen,that would be a winner for me.

If the fast train ever eventuates and, I doubt it will be in my lifetime, it will be interesting where it sits in the market regarding price. No way can they compete with low cost airlines.

Last time I did a return trip by train (I had some large boxes of IKEA gear), it left BKK 1 hour late.

Amazingly, it arrived at CNX exactly on time.

Edited by masuk

I normally manage to book flights to BKK with Nok Air. Around 6-700 each way. I just book in advance when for the dates I'm almost sure I want to fly. Never had to bin one yet but if I did, only a few hundred baht. Far prefer Nok Air to AA too. You get a snack and juice on Nok. F all on Air Asia. Cabin crew always seem friendlier too.