Replacement Parts

selftaopath

Are there any outlets in Isaan and hopefully either Khonkaen or Chaiyaphum that sells replacement parts for ANYTHING? Every time something breaks or needs a minor repair finding a replacement part is like a Sherlock mystery. Even simple repairs shops seem to be few and far between. I am not a "throw away" type and know how items can last with a little help. Hell I owned a 1937 VLD when I was in US. And rode a ??? 1940 ish WLA for years. Here it seems like if something breaks the only option is to buy new AGAIN.

Thanks in advance.

Things made today are of a much cheaper construction and designed to be replaced rather than repaired in many cases. That said parts, when available, are often only from importer/maker or sometimes from a shop that does repairs. Other than one firm that offers some such items, basically electronic, do not know of any multi source suppliers.

Or LG 42" TV died after a year and repair would have cost 5-6k for new screen and advised better to buy new unit (was not another).

Things made today are of a much cheaper construction and designed to be replaced rather than repaired in many cases. That said parts, when available, are often only from importer/maker or sometimes from a shop that does repairs. Other than one firm that offers some such items, basically electronic, do not know of any multi source suppliers.

Or LG 42" TV died after a year and repair would have cost 5-6k for new screen and advised better to buy new unit (was not another).

WOW. That sucks.

I'm thinking the various outlets are only interested in what give them the most profits and customer/consumer be damned. Of course w/out real competition that seems to be "the plan."

WOW. That sucks.

I'm thinking the various outlets are only interested in what give them the most profits and customer/consumer be damned. Of course w/out real competition that seems to be "the plan."

there was a thread on this a couple of yrs.ago,there must be a tip somewhere as a lot of tv.members including myself either chucked all the broken down electrical goods on it or took it to the recycle yard.i got a stainless steel cooker hood in a box that the new one was in, i got last week. off to the recycle place tomorrow with 5cases of empty moose bottles.

if anything lasts more than 18months your LUCKY.

My LG42 screen packed up too.

The electronics guy that I use informed me that LG and TCL are the same parts. He put a TCL screen in for 2k. That was 2 years ago. Still going.

Parts can be found but may not be easy to find dependent upon what you want to fix.

Recently ordered a PC board to fix a expensive fan online. Cost 327 baht that included EMS shipping compared to about 2000 baht for a replacement fan.

Yesterday paid 40 baht for a bad over temperature switch for a hot water heater. Wife took it around to few places that suggested a shop that has various spare parts.

The motherboard on my Toshiba laptop ( purchased 2012 ) packed up after only 3 years, to replace if you could find someone ( even Toshiba would not ) had a cost of 20K+.

I had a Packard Bell laptop from 1996 that lasted 10 years, traveled all over the world for work, only gave it up because memory too small.

My daughter still has a Toshiba laptop from 2001, only a hinge on the screen is wobbly.

When I asked Toshiba about lifespan they hinted that 3 - 4 years tops for recent and new models.

The electronics guy that I use informed me that LG and TCL are the same parts. He put a TCL screen in for 2k. That was 2 years ago. Still going.

You must have been very lucky as LG estimate was 5-6k to fix and independent shop said 9k for screen alone (without work). 2k sounds way too low unless shop had the screen on hand and nothing to use it for.

if anything lasts more than 18months your LUCKY.

Well, I am a tad older than 18 months ,

At present, all parts functioning, to manufacturers original specs .

I lucky . 555

Edited by elliss

The internet is your friend.

Just search the brand name and put the word Thailand after it & you should get the Thai distributor contact info, usually in Bangkok. I actually found a Thai distributor for a Davis weather station that I bought in the US. She was able to order the part & had it shipped from California directly to me here.

I'm like you...I only buy new if the old one can't be fixed. One thing that I do as well is that I keep the manual that comes with an item when I buy it. I also tape the receipt inside the front cover in case I need warranty service. Even if the warranty is over, the info for the sales and parts office is in the manual. I also write down the date of purchase, as I know it to be and the length of the warranty. Once I needed service on the coffee maker & took it to the authorized service center. The girl told me, "warranty one year. Can not fix. Buy new one." So, I'm looking at a new one in the appliance store next door, and low & behold, there is a sticker on the new in the box unit that says "2 Year Warranty." I got my coffee maker replaced as they couldn't get the part. Schweet.

I have purchased blades for a Phillips blender, replacement ice trays for my LG refrigerator, new UV bulb for the water filter(under warranty) and had warranty service on an ElectroLux coffee maker and most recently VRH replaced my 4 year old butt washer. VRH faucets & plumbing fittings are more expensive, but they look great and they are warrantied for 10 to 12 years. They faucets are all pressed together, so you can't replace washers, but they actually gave me a new faucet about 7 years ago when mine started dripping. Amazing.

Anyway, the point is you can get parts. Just go to the manual or the internet.

In Buriram, Isaan, Siri Electronics has provided me with several replacement parts for name brand small appliances and a few electronic items. Gettintg genuine replacement parts for a Mitsubishi free standing fan took some effort on my part. Replacement parts for power tools and lawn mowers has proven easy for me in Buriram. Some family owned shops seem to have actual stock of name brand tool parts and name brand genuine lawn mower parts and blades in Issan. The photo shows half of the spare part cabinets of a Buriram Builders Merchants so I assume other provinces must have Thai Chinese owned businesses who cater to customers who are not part of the throw away society.

post-20604-0-89937800-1469409880_thumb.j

You must have been very lucky as LG estimate was 5-6k to fix and independent shop said 9k for screen alone (without work). 2k sounds way too low unless shop had the screen on hand and nothing to use it for.

I didn't go to a shop as such. There is a very good electronics guy in the next village to me.

He is the one that told me a TCL screen fits straight in. Something I doubt an LG shop would tell you.

WOW. That sucks.

believe you have pretty well summed up the Thai retail market! there is no real competition! a couple of families own everything albeit under different "brand" names, prices for a lot of goods here are sky high, why? cause they can!