A country with similar laws to thailand.

Peterw42

There is a Country close to Thailand that has very similar property ownership, Work Permit , Business ownership and Immigration laws.

In the country I am familiar with,

A non resident can only buy a percentage of certain new build property and cannot buy existing property, or rent it out. Very similar to Thailand.

A non resident cannot work if they are visiting on a most Visas. ( some exceptions apply) Very similar to Thailand.

A non resident cannot own a business or be a company director. They can in partnership with a resident. Very similar to Thailand.

A non resident cannot stay unless on a visa. Very similar to Thailand

In this country, you must become a resident to own all types of property, work, own a business, be a company director and stay without a visa. (similar)

A Thai person cannot even visit this country without showing money in the bank, employment in Thailand, and often need a sponsor.

This country is in fact Australia.

Could you please keep this in mind when posting/ Thai bashing.

They (the Thai government) are not out to get you, picking on you, targeting westerners. Most of the laws here are very similar to other countries. and exist for the same reasons.

And before the inevitable replies, you can become a permanent resident of Thailand.

"A non resident can only buy a percentage of certain new build property and cannot buy existing property, or rent it out. Very similar to Thailand."

Seems to be incorrect;

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Foreign_Investors_Buying_property_as_a_foreigner_or_Temporary_Resident_in_Australia/178

https://firb.gov.au/resources/guidance/gn03/

Established dwellings

An established dwelling is a dwelling (except commercial residential premises such as hotels, motels and caravan parks) on residential land that is not a new dwelling.

Foreign non-residents cannot purchase established dwellings as homes, for use as a holiday home or to rent out.

Foreign persons that operate a substantial Australian business may apply to purchase established dwellings to house their Australian based employees. Eligible applications are normally approved subject to conditions, including that the dwelling is sold if it is expected to remain vacant for more than six months. Whether a business is eligible to purchase established dwellings to house their Australian-based employees is subject to a number of factors. For more information, see Guidance Note 7.

I believe that this topic should have been entitled "Country with similar PROPERTY Laws to Thailand. There are many ,many things that you can say and do in Australia (even if you are an alien) that you would dare not do here in Thailand especially under the present regime.

"A non resident can only buy a percentage of certain new build property and cannot buy existing property, or rent it out. Very similar to Thailand."

Seems to be incorrect;

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Foreign_Investors_Buying_property_as_a_foreigner_or_Temporary_Resident_in_Australia/178

The link you sent talks about any purchase goes before review board. If you go to FIRB site, they have more specific information on what is allowed etc.

I believe that this topic should have been entitled "Country with similar PROPERTY Laws to Thailand. There are many ,many things that you can say and do in Australia (even if you are an alien) that you would dare not do here in Thailand especially under the present regime.

I think you are referring to free speech etc, not the comparison I was making.

Better anti-corruption laws in Aus, apparently; I never had a Aussie cop shake me down for money. Made alot of noise and talked too much,but didn't hit me up for money.

Edited by Rob13

Yes it's far worse living in Australia than Thailand and the quality of life is worse we know.

Thailand is paradise on earth and the west is a nasty merciless place,a Nanny state with a hidden agenda and laws no better than Thailand.

Next.

Yes it's far worse living in Australia than Thailand and the quality of life is worse we know.

Thailand is paradise on earth and the west is a nasty merciless place,a Nanny state with a hidden agenda and laws no better than Thailand.

Next.

If I didnt know better, I would detect a small hint of sarcasm, lol

Next.

If I didnt know better, I would detect a small hint of sarcasm, lol

stoneyboy was spot on... whether he knows it or not.

How's about the archaic defamation laws and can you buy land?

And before the inevitable replies, you can become a permanent resident of Thailand

Indeed, but do you know the quotas and how hard it is compared with becoming a resident in other countries? And I believe one still has to report periodically in the event of. Uncalled for Thai-bashing gets on my nerves, too, but one needs to be realistic... the Thai powers that be are as close to xenophobic as you're going to get.

There is a Country close to Thailand that has very similar property ownership, Work Permit , Business ownership and Immigration laws.

A non resident can only buy a percentage of certain new build property and cannot buy existing property, or rent it out. Very similar to Thailand.

A non resident cannot work if they are visiting on a most Visas. ( some exceptions apply) Very similar to Thailand.

A non resident cannot own a business or be a company director. They can in partnership with a resident. Very similar to Thailand.

In this country, you must become a resident to own all types of property, work, own a business, be a company director and stay without a visa. (similar)

A Thai person cannot even visit this country without showing money in the bank, employment in Thailand, and often need a sponsor.

They (the Thai government) are not out to get you, picking on you, targeting westerners. Most of the laws here are very similar to other countries. and exist for the same reasons.

And before the inevitable replies, you can become a permanent resident of Thailand.

So what?

Does that make thing here much better?

I am from Europe and I couldn't care less what Australia does. Or is Australia the country everything has to be compared to?

Australia is the country I am familiar with. Not saying anything needs to be compared.

The point I was trying to make. Everyone seems very critical of Thai laws. The laws are just picking on westerners etc.

I was pointing out that other countries laws are often very similar.

I was always under the impression that a non resident european would have trouble buying in Australia. Or a least be restricted as to what they can buy. But I must be wrong.

Are European laws similar ?

Anyone, non resident, can buy land?

GD Aussies.

The OP is p-098n against the wind

Tell us OP how long does it take to become an permanent Thai resident if at all

in Australia it is 2 years how long in Thailand? In Australia you can

work on a working holiday visa in Australia you can work on a student visa and so on

if you don't live in Thailand move there very quickly you might be able to

buy a cheap block of land before they all being purchased by all the other farangs

Here we go again, a foreigner objecting to other foreigners expressing views s/he does not agree with about life in Thailand.

To be honest, the only confirmed 'Thai bashing' I've seen in a long while has been widely circulated videos of Thais ganging up and bashing retired tourist or guys who are alone and defenceless.

As far as I am aware a foreigner has never been able to fully own a property in Thailand. The laws restricting purchasing property in Australia are a very recent phenomenon (ask Tony Abbot). The guidelines for foreigners to acquire Australian property are well set out and if the rules are followed then the property can be purchased and it is then theirs.

No matter what dodgy (or otherwise) deals are done in Thailand involving shonky companies or leases, the foreigner can never fully own that property. I feel that it was

somewhat disingenuous for the OP to state that Thailand and Australia were one and the same - they're not.

Yes, students cannot buy land or existing property. only certain new build properties.(FIRB approved) And the property has to be sold when you leave.

Point I was trying to make was all countries have restrictions on foreign ownership.

Getting sick of everyone on Thai visa going into meltdown over laws in Thailand. Pointing out that other countries often have similar laws.

Most of the Thai laws were in place before people moved here. But that doesn't stop the paranoid posting, There out to get us, they hate westerners etc.

And you can apply for residency here after 3 years.

Here we go again, a foreigner objecting to other foreigners expressing views s/he does not agree with about life in Thailand.

To be honest, the only confirmed 'Thai bashing' I've seen in a long while has been widely circulated videos of Thais ganging up and bashing retired tourist or guys who are alone and defenceless.

Or in the intrests of fairness

Here we go again a forigner bashing another forigner because he disagree's with forigners views on bashing Thai's constantly. Just saying goes both ways

Edited by Deepinthailand

Worst thread of the year award.

The Thai Immigration Department has a quota for all expatriates applying for residence permits. Only 100 people per nationality can apply, and in some years you can only apply for a residency during three months of the year. Permanent residency is mandatory if you want to apply for Thai citizenship.

You can apply for a Thai residence permit if:

• You need the citizenship for business or employment reasons
  • You need permanent residency for investment purposes (min. 3 - 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)
  • You are an expert or an academic doing research
  • You are supporting your spouse or children who are Thai citizens or you are dependant on a Thai citizen
  • You are accompanying a family member who has a residency permit
  • You are retired in Thailand (and will likely stay in Thailand permanently)
Permanent residence How to apply for permanent residency in Thailand

Applying for permanent residence in Thailand is a confusing process and is only open to a few thousand people every year. If you decide to apply for permanent residency, be prepared for a bureaucratic roller-coaster ride!