Taxi driver comes off worse again

webfact

Taxi driver comes off worse again

s1p.jpg
Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- Who would be a Bangkok taxi driver? One of their number was speaking in hospital after he was attacked by two youths in his cab in the Phrakhanong area of the capital last night.

Charin Chamket had been stabbed in the neck for just 400 baht, reported tnamcot. And this was the second time in just four years that he had fallen victim.

Before he was set up and jailed for robbing a passenger - a crime that he did not commit.

Charin said that he had picked up two youths last night in the Theparak area and took them to Sukhumvit Soi 62. When they reached a quiet area he was held around the neck as the pair demanded all his money.

He gave them what he had but still ended up in hospital.

The youths fled but were seen by a passerby who alerted soldiers who were on patrol and they made the arrest. A 14 year old and a 15 year old were handed over to Phrakanong police and were initially charged with theft using a knife in the hours of darkness.

They will be interviewed more today.

Charin could still hardly move but told reporters that this was the second time he had faced a serious problem as a taxi driver.

"Last time was in 2012," he said. "I was the scapegoat in a theft. Police in Lat Krabang and five others said I was the person who stole from a passenger. I had been in jail nine days when they found the person who had done it and I was let out.

"This time I didn't resist. I gave them the money - but they still did this to me".

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-12

I drove a taxi in the US (Boston) for 8 years during the '70s and even though we had partitions between the driver and passenger seat, it didn't stop robberies. The partition only protected you from being grabbed around the neck or hit on the head. Somebody puts a gun to the glass, you give them what they want..usually druggies looking for enough for their next fix. I was robbed 3 times.

What makes it so dangerous is the thief is in control...takes you to where he or she wants to go, often into projects where you can't chase them.

Cops didn't used to give a turd...unless you could tell them exactly where a perp. went, the wouldn't even write a report. What hurt even more: you still had to turn in your meter receipts to the garage...robbed or not.

This is why I'm uncomfortable with the laws here in Bangkok and elsewhere that do not allow a driver to refuse to go to a particular location. Drivers need to have a way to protect themselves. The only real solution is to sometime develop a cash-card system so drivers carry no money.

The only real solution is to sometime develop a cash-card system so drivers carry no money.

Invented already. It's called Uber.

Or in the alternative, a "tap and go" card facility in cabs: if 7/11 can do it then surely cabs could as well. I do like the Uber system and ( in my limited experience of fewer than 10 rides) the drivers are great, the system works well and no cash required. A winner.

Only scum would commit such atrocities. Just kill them. Too many bleeding hearts these day. We're over 7 billion people on this planet, ain't nobody going to miss these chodes.

I was recently in a cab in Toulouse (France) and asked the cabbie how much it would cost to take me 120 kms to go home. He gave me the price and I told him that I didn't have enough cash on me. Didn't matter, I could pay him by my Mastercard. He had the machine and said that at least half of his clientele paid by bank card.

Gosh I even pay my doctor by bank card, same with my loaf of bread.

im sure he has ripped off many a tourist for much more than 400 baht - infact I GUARANTEE IT!

For heavens sake the guy was falsy imprisioned, stabbed for 400 baht . There are Thais who are just trying to earn an honest living out there

I suppose we should not respond - I GUARANTEE you are a TROLL - get a life

I drove a taxi in the US (Boston) for 8 years during the '70s and even though we had partitions between the driver and passenger seat, it didn't stop robberies. The partition only protected you from being grabbed around the neck or hit on the head. Somebody puts a gun to the glass, you give them what they want..usually druggies looking for enough for their next fix. I was robbed 3 times.

What makes it so dangerous is the thief is in control...takes you to where he or she wants to go, often into projects where you can't chase them.

Cops didn't used to give a turd...unless you could tell them exactly where a perp. went, the wouldn't even write a report. What hurt even more: you still had to turn in your meter receipts to the garage...robbed or not.

This is why I'm uncomfortable with the laws here in Bangkok and elsewhere that do not allow a driver to refuse to go to a particular location. Drivers need to have a way to protect themselves. The only real solution is to sometime develop a cash-card system so drivers carry no money.

No money, and GPS tracking. All publicly used vehicles should have GPS tracking attached to an ID of the driver~included in this all large trucks, buses vans, moto taxis, taxis, mini vans...

It would be difficult at this point to use a totally cashless system, but I don't think taxis get robbed much because I'm sure they deposit cash into the ATM system when they have too much to be comfortable with.

hazards of the trade or just bad luck.

perhaps both.

what is crucial is the punishment that is meted out

to the offenders who deliberately carried out a planned malicious

and vicious act.

punishment should be rehabilitative.yet the element of deterrence

should be built in.

the social security system of the country must have adequate

provisions to compensate the victims, whose families may be

dependent on them for livelihood.

No money, and GPS tracking. All publicly used vehicles should have GPS tracking attached to an ID of the driver~included in this all large trucks, buses vans, moto taxis, taxis, mini vans...

It would be difficult at this point to use a totally cashless system, but I don't think taxis get robbed much because I'm sure they deposit cash into the ATM system when they have too much to be comfortable with.

I suspect taxi drivers would never adopt a cashless system, lets say some kind of travel card that can be used on buses, trains and taxis,, they have it is Hong Kong, its called and Oyster I believe (or is that London), one is called an octopus,, anyway.

With this system there is no hiding cash from the tax man, all is accounted for. And I am willing to be my grandmas teeth that taxi drivers do not declare the "agreed" fairs off the meter.

The man is twice unfortunate but also twice fortunate that the police actually apprehended the perpetrators both times.

I have said this before: I think it would be a great Idea if the police would allow the victims in such cases to be given all the permission in the world to physically beat the crap out of little punks such as those in the OP and possibly teach them a lesson while the victims get to satisfy their natural urge to Hit Back for what was done to them.

"Over there....Room # 1...you have 10 minutes with the little dick heads...and we did not see a thing.

Meantime the thought of pay back is always enticing.

Cheers

An older man is standing outside his hotel in broad daylight, with his suitcases by him.

He flags down a taxi and says Suvarnabhumi airport, the taxi driver drives off. What is that? A place for a regulation.

When I drove taxis in Sydney, Saturday nights, when the youths go mad, were the worst, so driving around with the loor locked and only opening the window a bit for another decision moment was essential. Driving slowly, checking out the hails, giving passengers the once over was obligatory.

This driver sounds a bit accident prone. Not worth the trouble if you don't have a hazard reduction plan.