Bus driver, conductor fined 1,000 baht each for expelling passenger from bus due to his body smell

webfact

Bus driver and conductor fined 1,000 baht each for expelling a passenger from a bus due to his body smell

1207002-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A bus driver and a conductor of an associated bus company were fined 1,000 baht each and suspended from work for a week after they were found to have violated the regulations of Bangkok Mass Transit Authority for expelling a passenger from their bus due to his body smell.

The bus company,Viriyawong, which operates city bus route 147, was also fined 1,000 baht for its failure to oversee the behavior of its staff.

The case first appeared in the Facebook page of a netizen by the name of ponddnop on July 9 who reported that a passenger of bus No 147-33 shutting between Thon Buri housing estate and The Mall Bang Khae was chased out of the vehicle by both the driver and conductor because of his alleged strong body smell.

The two also used rude language with the passenger.

In response to the incident, BMTA on Tuesday summoned an official of Viriyawong bus firm, the driver and conductor of the bus in question to its head office for an investigation.

Both the driver and conductor reportedly admitted that they were rude to the passenger and expelled him from the bus because they could not stand his smell.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-driver-conductor-fined-1000-baht-expelling-passenger-bus-due-body-smell/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-13

so... what are people allowed to do when someone stinks?

Nothing.

It is a public transport vehicle.

It's not pleasant when someone smells but the driver and conductor are not operating a private vehicle.

Their jobs do not allow them to act in this manner.

It could well be that the person they humiliated had spent a ling day at work and was on their way home. What are they supposed to do?

Nothing.

It's not pleasant when someone smells but the driver and conductor are not operating a private vehicle.

It could well be that the person they humiliated had spent a ling day at work and was on their way home. What are they supposed to do?

A good question!

But the next thing is you will certainly slam whoever says he doesn't like riding on the public bus because people stink?

Maybe the conductors should be equipped with some of those concentrated aromas, such as jasmine, lemongrass, etc. and use it liberally on passengers stinking so much they are incommodating the whole bus...

This or tiger balm to smear in everyone's nostrils.

On a personal note, after riding the skytrain with the occasional bad smell from other passengers, I rode public transports in Paris, Zurich, Rome and while Paris was horrible I had also occasional problems even in Zurich...

:-(

Edited by manarak

Nothing.

A good question!

But the next thing is you will certainly slam whoever says he doesn't like riding on the public bus because people stink?

Maybe the conductors should be equipped with some of those concentrated aromas, such as jasmine, lemongrass, etc. and use it liberally on passengers stinking so much they are incommodating the whole bus...

On a personal note, after riding the skytrain with the occasional bad smell from other passengers, I rode public transports in Paris, Zurich, Rome and while Paris was horrible I had also occasional problems even in Zurich...

Why would I slam anyone who says they don't use public transport because of the body odour of others is unpleasant? I can quite understand that and share their distaste for strong BO.

However it is not always the fault of the person who may smell bad, we all have days when circumstances go against us.

I would never castigate or humiliate someone because of their body odour. That's behaviour I consider unacceptable.

The stinking violator should be expelled...and be fined for being so disgusting/repulsive/appalling post-4641-1156693976.gif So many visitors to Thailand STINK beyond belief. I can't even imagine how they can live with themselves! For a decade now, I ALWAYS buy 2 seats on buses when traveling alone, so i don't have to be subject to hours of revolting STENCH at close range.bah.gif Eff'ing DISGUSTING and I truly wish that hygiene was a requirement for boarding planes, trains and buses. The driver and conductor should be applauded, NOT fined.

Nothing.

Sooooo...next time I've had a bad meal and my intestines are twisted and threatening mayhem and I can't find a toilet in time, so I just defecate in my drawers and jump on the bus and sit next to you...You'd be OK with that? Because, as you clearly stated...what was I supposed to do? Had a bad day. Time to go home without a care about the rest of the world or civilized behavior or personal responsibility. Piss on everybody else! (literally, would be OK it seems) Because it's my RIGHT to be an offensive, uncaring, selfish individual in the age of ultra-PC-ness and ZERO personal responsibility.

GROSS! bah.gif1zgarz5.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

Nothing.

Sooooo...next time I've had a bad meal and my intestines are twisted and threatening mayhem and I can't find a toilet in time, so I just defecate in my drawers and jump on the bus and sit next to you...You'd be OK with that? Because, as you clearly stated...what was I supposed to do? Had a bad day. Time to go home without a care about the rest of the world or civilized behavior or personal responsibility. Piss on everybody else! (literally, would be OK it seems) Because it's my RIGHT to be an offensive, uncaring, selfish individual in the age of ultra-PC-ness and ZERO personal responsibility.

Proud to say I do not carry around the hate and contempt you seem to share towards others.

If someone is as ill as you rather melodramatically fantasise about, then I would have more sympathy than you seem capable of.

Would I be happy about it, no, no I wouldn't. Would I move elsewhere, yep I would.

Do I share the same arrogant, selfish contempt you do for those in difficulty, again, proud to say I don't.

Someone who smells bad maybe something I find unpleasant, but your attitude towards others is far more repulsive.

P.S. LMAO at what you seem to think of as PC. Seriously, get a dictionary.

Edited by Bluespunk

Nothing.

"From the sublime to the ridiculous" bah.gif

Nothing.

Quite acceptable if you're Chinese wai.gif

Entirely too much "Bovine Fertilizer" over this subject.

Rude is not right, ejecting an unacceptable passenger may be correct depending on the source of the smell, ie; if you fill your pants you should not be allowed. Had one on the BTS the other day, made the whole car smell bad.

The stinking violator should be expelled...and be fined for being so disgusting/repulsive/appalling post-4641-1156693976.gif So many visitors to Thailand STINK beyond belief. I can't even imagine how they can live with themselves! For a decade now, I ALWAYS buy 2 seats on buses when traveling alone, so i don't have to be subject to hours of revolting STENCH at close range.bah.gif Eff'ing DISGUSTING and I truly wish that hygiene was a requirement for boarding planes, trains and buses. The driver and conductor should be applauded, NOT fined.

I would agree with your post if it was certain the smell was caused by poor hygiene, there is no excuse for that, but as Bluespunk has said, if

the smell is something else that the person was not at fault, it would be wrong to put them off the bus.

Shame on the posters making racist comments.

Different races produce different (stronger) body odour due to the differences in apocrine glands in the axilla.

Sorry that you find science to be 'racist'.

Nothing.

A good question!

Why would I slam anyone who says they don't use public transport because of the body odour of others is unpleasant? I can quite understand that and share their distaste for strong BO.

However it is not always the fault of the person who may smell bad, we all have days when circumstances go against us.

I would never castigate or humiliate someone because of their body odour. That's behaviour I consider unacceptable.

Absolutely correct. We, as a group, generally have options. But, there are a plethora of individuals on the other hand, who do not. Truth be told, comparative to the body odor situations (most often willful) encountered in the west, the Thai have personal hygiene down to a highly-efficient science. Butt washing (which is available even to the downtrodden) has no small part in this. We are the idiots still using dry f*cking paper, yet we somehow see ourselves as civilized. Defies logic.

Nothing, it's none of your business. It's not as if he was working in a hospital or somewhere where hygiene is important. For all we know he had just finished a night shift labouring, nobody has the right to do anything.

You can moan about it, be disgusted by it, laugh about it but you leave the person alone.

Simple.

Indian or farlang? Or One of those ingenious Thai who think it's a good idea to wear fake all-stars without socks at 37degrees... ??

I vote first Indian then any Europian new to this area that has not nderstood the use of "Deodorant" and baths only when he is caught in the rain.or ever third wekend.

I have seen this happen on two separate occasions, and both times the drivers had a calm word with the passengers, and they got off the bus. I should point out that the buses were the free red Bangkok type, and the offending passengers were probably homeless, looked destitute and were absolutely filthy. Not only did they omit an overpowering smell, but they looked like they had some form of infestation, judging by their skin condition. Whilst I have the utmost sympathy for people in this condition, there has to be consideration for the rest of the travelling public, and the drivers only seem to resort to this kind of action in extreme circumstances, in my experience.

If I feel smell in BTS, just look around and find a stinky tourist or Indian local people.

Thais are not stinky at all.

Yeah, right...everyone stinks given the right [or wrong] conditions.

Edited by Bluespunk

I wonder if the stinker was a big fat farang guy who's lost his bottom buddy and hast been washing his size XXXXXL arse properly again.

Folk like this are everywhere in LOS and shouldn't be allowed on any mode of transport without being hosed down and fumigated.

End of discussion really.

What a grub.

If I feel smell in BTS, just look around and find a stinky tourist or Indian local people.

Yeah but big fat unhygienic farang do it more often that 'normal' folk. ;)

Yeah but big fat unhygienic farang do it more often that 'normal' folk. wink.png

Hygiene may play a role but I'm not sure that where you're from matters as much as circumstances.

I try to keep my scent as pleasing as possible but after a 10km run or particularly physical outdoor work, I do tend to whiff somewhat.

We all have the potential to stink out a room...