Immigration on the roundup for illegal workers

bbi1

Seems immigration is making the rounds to catch illegal workers. Apparently on Monday there was a huge bunch of them at Thonglor & Koreatown. At night on the Asoke walkover bridge I saw an African man showing his passport to one Thai dude. The Thai dude was in normal clothes like anyone with no ID hanging on his neck. Are they on the crackdown now? Would be nice if they walked down lower Sukhumvit & locked up all those African dealers but would it ever happen? Probably not...

They were going into shops & seeing if people were working in jobs foreigners aren't allowed to work in & work permits apparently. Yeah, those Africans they would probably need to follow them and see them actually do a drug deal to bust them for working illegally.

They were going into shops & seeing if people were working in jobs foreigners aren't allowed to work in & work permits apparently. Yeah, those Africans they would probably need to follow them and see them actually do a drug deal to bust them for working illegally.

Your remarks are very troubling to me, I am a fully legal teacher in Thailand, and I am a African.... not all Africans in Thailand are drug dealers.

I find that the Thai police singling out African's only very racist indeed, as I would think there are more illegal whites in Thailand than there are blacks.

Legal African teacher in Thailand?

Sir, allow me to buy you a drink.

Thank you for your kind offer, but my religion doesn't allow me to drink alcohol

Yes I am fully legal, with a work permit, and pay my taxes in full, which I might add, without going off topic, appear to be quite high at 28% of my gross.

Your remarks are very troubling to me, I am a fully legal teacher in Thailand, and I am a African.... not all Africans in Thailand are drug dealers.

I find that the Thai police singling out African's only very racist indeed, as I would think there are more illegal whites in Thailand than there are blacks.

He said 'those African drug dealers on lower Sukhumvit'... not 'Africans' or 'all Africans in Thailand'.

Edited by jspill

Thank you for your kind offer, but my religion doesn't allow me to drink alcohol

Yes I am fully legal, with a work permit, and pay my taxes in full, which I might add, without going off topic, appear to be quite high at 28% of my gross.

You might want to read the below website - your percentage would be paid on earnings of about 120k Baht a month, so if that is your salary, it is correct.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

The best hospital in Thailand is across the street from the Afro Arab area. Hard to miss.

Currently I am in excellent health, so have no reason to visit a hospital such as this, but I do have good medical insurance so if I did fall ill, one supposes I could get good treatment at this hospital ?

You might want to read the below website - your percentage would be paid on earnings of about 120k Baht a month, so if that is your salary, it is correct.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

Thank you so much for the link and information, based on that it looks about correct then..still feel its a little too high, but then again who enjoys paying tax ?

I don't think it is just the Africans. These illegal workers are the main cause of it being hard to stay in the country long term unless you are over fifty or married.

We all have to jump through lots of hoops because of these bast@rds. The more that can be caught the better, they should be automatically deported after paying a large fine.

I think that too, Thailand is a very racist, ageist country.

If you don't think African drug dealers and scammers are a problem in lower sukhumvit then I doubt you are an educated teacher.

I don't think the poster means that the police should not get rid of the African drug dealers.

If you take in the whole of Thailand, I would think that there are a lot more white illegal workers, I cannot comment on the Burmese, or Laos workers etc

as I do not know the legal side of that situation.

If you don't think African drug dealers and scammers are a problem in lower sukhumvit then I doubt you are an educated teacher.

I don't think the poster means that the police should not get rid of the African drug dealers.

If you take in the whole of Thailand, I would think that there are a lot more white illegal workers, I cannot comment on the Burmese, or Laos workers etc

as I do not know the legal side of that situation.

You are correct, I never inferred any such thing, but I am curious as to why just target black "illegals" only ?...In my limited travels in Thailand I have come across quite a few older white gentlemen who seem rather down on their luck and I guess could best be described as "bums", surely the police should be stopping them as well to determine their visa status as well, and if illegal, arrest them and deport them

I doubt that they can distinguish between Africans and other black people, and quite a few Africans are white!

I doubt that they can distinguish between Africans and other black people, and quite a few Africans are white!

Not all Africans are black or white, for example Egyptian/Tunisian/Moroccan ?

Africans of Indian or Chinese origin ..?

therefore its quite simplistic to describe Africa in terms of black or white

Edited by Bikoboogie

Not all Africans are black or white, for example Egyptian/Tunisian/Moroccan ?

Africans of Indian or Chinese origin ..?

therefore its quite simplistic to describe Africa in terms of black or white

Which is point I was making.

No need to get all offended and see racism in everything people say, like a professional victim. The OP said those 'African drug dealers' not 'all Africans'.

And the ones that are dealing drugs are black.

And you don't have to be looking for prostitutes to know these things, Sukhumvit is a transport hub where the BTS and MRT meet, with upscale malls and 5 star hotels. It's not hidden away. You can bump into drug dealers right outside Terminal 21 mall.

What you could do is make a humorous reply like 'well if you crazy white crackers would stop being their best customers maybe they would stop selling'. Because it is is predominantly white guys that buy the drugs from them. (See how I can admit things about my own race).

Edited by jspill

"I think that too, Thailand is a very racist, ageist country."

Compared to what ... UK. America, Europe ??

Considering all the Thai bashing, Chinese bashing, Indian bashing, African bashing in this forum and a cursory glance at the official and de facto racial profiling (with often fatal consequences) in farang land, that's a bit of a sad laugh,

Edited by Suradit69

I never mentioned any other country, and Thailand is not the only racist country.

Some would say I am racist myself, and I probably am, as I am always on about

immigrants coming into the UK, and expecting everyone to change their ways to suit them.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest there may or may not be problems with African drug dealers on lower Sukhumvit

I don't believe I have ever been to lower Sukhumvit to see for myself what the actual situation is, however I was informed by a colleague that lower Sukhumvit was the area were there are lots of Thai prostitutes and bars frequented by western expatiate men, who drink in bars and pay for the prostitutes company given I do not partake in drinking alcohol, and have no interest in engaging in sexual activities with prostitutes, I cant see any reason for me to visit such an area

so I am guessing you must be pretty familiar with that area given the fact you stated categorically there are problems within that area ?

Did your colleague also inform you that that area was where there are also lots of African prostitutes and bars frequented by African men who take the money that the African pros earn (and frequently steal from their clients)?

I am pretty familiar with that area also. It has some very high-end residences and hotels as well as many normal social facilities. Just because one is familiar with an area known, for example, for African drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes, it does not mean that one partakes of those unsavoury undesirable's services as you are suggesting in your holier-than-thou comment.

Considering all the Thai bashing, Chinese bashing, Indian bashing, African bashing in this forum and a cursory glance at the official and de facto racial profiling (with often fatal consequences) in farang land, that's a bit of a sad laugh,

Pff come on we have a black president of the US, a Muslim mayor of London, in Sweden the locals a minority in their own country, list goes on.

There's more farang bashing on this forum than anything else. The retired crowd not liking visa runners. The work permit crowd not liking digital nomads. And so on. Equal opportunity bashing.

No need to get all offended and see racism in everything people say, like a professional victim. The OP said those 'African drug dealers' not 'all Africans'.

And the ones that are dealing drugs are black.

And you don't have to be looking for prostitutes to know these things, Sukhumvit is a transport hub where the BTS and MRT meet, with upscale malls and 5 star hotels. It's not hidden away. You can bump into drug dealers right outside Terminal 21 mall.

What you could do is make a humorous reply like 'well if you crazy white crackers would stop being their best customers maybe they would stop selling'. Because it is is predominantly white guys that buy the drugs from them. (See how I can admit things about my own race).

not offended in the least and not playing a professional victim, I am asking questions and making observations that's all....

To your last sentence, you appear to be confusing me with an "African American" from the "ghetto" in in the US "who gets down with the ho's"....so now you are being insulting, offensive and patronizing...so unable to see the relevance of your remarks, unless of course your are suggesting the reputed drug dealers on lower Sukhumvit are in fact African Americans who are reputedly selling the drugs

I would appear to me your trying to portray a specific racial stereotype and you have failed very badly, and sound rather silly as a result, do you wear a baseball cap backwards as well ?... and your trousers hang down past your backside in attempt to be "Ghetto"...a silly look for a white boy, or cracker if you prefer

Oh dear, these Blacks are very sensitive aren't they? I am Qhite and I was in 'Black Africa' and I can tell you that racism isn't an invention from the Whites!

Why is the police maybe focusing a bit moreo on Blacks than Whites? Well the chance of hitting the target with a Black is higher than with a White. As easy as that and hasn't got anything to do with racisms at all.

Though racism may have contributed to the fact that there are not many non-criminal Blacks in Thailand. But that's another story.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest there may or may not be problems with African drug dealers on lower Sukhumvit

I don't believe I have ever been to lower Sukhumvit to see for myself what the actual situation is, however I was informed by a colleague that lower Sukhumvit was the area were there are lots of Thai prostitutes and bars frequented by western expatiate men, who drink in bars and pay for the prostitutes company given I do not partake in drinking alcohol, and have no interest in engaging in sexual activities with prostitutes, I cant see any reason for me to visit such an area

so I am guessing you must be pretty familiar with that area given the fact you stated categorically there are problems within that area ?

Did your colleague also inform you that that area was where there are also lots of African prostitutes and bars frequented by African men who take the money that the African pros earn (and frequently steal from their clients)?

I am pretty familiar with that area also. It has some very high-end residences and hotels as well as many normal social facilities. Just because one is familiar with an area known, for example, for African drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes, it does not mean that one partakes of those unsavoury undesirable's services as you are suggesting in your holier-than-thou comment.

Please don't misunderstand me I have no problem with a person if they choose to frequent those areas and make use of prostitutes, irrespective if the prostitutes are Thai, African or from any other country fore that matter.

its just not for me that's all..

if that's how you choose to spend your life and spend your money, who am I to judge ?

in my remarks I was relating the information a colleague had told me that's all, so please don't get so defensive

Oh Thai Visa ...

An article about a supposed round up, based on ridiculous and meager evidence ... instantly denigrated into a barrage of racism forcing Bikoboogie to politely but firmly explain the realities of logic and life.

I must say, it must be a struggle to have black skin and live in this world.

Oh dear, these Blacks are very sensitive aren't they? I am Qhite and I was in 'Black Africa' and I can tell you that racism isn't an invention from the Whites!

Why is the police maybe focusing a bit moreo on Blacks than Whites? Well the chance of hitting the target with a Black is higher than with a White. As easy as that and hasn't got anything to do with racisms at all.

Though racism may have contributed to the fact that there are not many non-criminal Blacks in Thailand. But that's another story.

If you read the news in Thailand, it appears that the number of white criminals arrested in Thailand far exceeds that of any black criminals, so believe your little factoid appears to be incorrect, or the black criminals are just smarter than their white counter parts.. and not get caught as much ?

Rather than focus on the blatant racism in your post, I think it fairly safe just to label you a bigot of the highest order and leave it at that...

Oh Thai Visa ...

An article about a supposed round up, based on ridiculous and meager evidence ... instantly denigrated into a barrage of racism forcing Bikoboogie to politely but firmly explain the realities of logic and life.

I must say, it must be a struggle to have black skin and live in this world.

I personally think I struggle less in Thailand than some of the white skinned people, I am fairly comfortable financially and have a pretty good life I think..

and BTW thank you for your other comments,

I have found the firm, polite method works better as usually the most vocally racists remarks come from the less educated who find it difficult to articulate or compose a compelling argument to get their point across so they just resort to hurling names at people and i have no wish to stoop to that level

Edited by Bikoboogie