German Fights for Refund After Eating Rotten Lobster at Popular Pattaya Seafood Restaurant

webfact

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

surely it is a consumer right to be given food

suitable for human consumption.

in many countries offences like this carry fines for

the offending establishments.

any decent and forward looking restaurants should not only

give refund but also a compensatory token.

unless of course you are dealing with heartless scam artists.

And there lays the problem., Amazing Thailand,

A Western run restaurant here, most likely that would happen to some extent.

or new order served to you, maybe not refund.

He should have not given in, so quick.

Indeed it would. I had some ribs at a British-run pub in Bangkok. They were tough and undercooked, I brought it to the attention of the owner who was on the premises and the item was taken off the bill. In London my food order was lost by the kitchen and because my friend and I had to wait over an hour both the entire meal and our drinks were free.

Can you ever imagine a Thai business doing that? The Thai way of doing things is to never give a refund, ever, for anything. Even says so on the credit card receipt - NO REFUND. Never seen that anywhere else, and anyway that isn't legal as you can just get the cc company to cancel the charge. I read of a man who bought a pair of shoes in a top department store and the next day one of the soles came loose. He took the shoes back, refused to back down when they refused to replace them and they called the police. Service, Thai-style. Money is king. always. Under any circumstances.

I don't like or eat almost any seafood, anything that comes from any water. Surely not in Thailand due to freshness issues.

Besides that if you want to pay 1860 baht for a lobster, you are fresh meat yourself in my book. Although it could be a normal price, no idea

This is not the first time This place has been in the news. The last time it was bad shrimp. Customer refused to pay so the police were called. Police looked at and smelled the shrimp and said it was spoiled but that customer still had to pay. The customer told the police he would pay for the meal if the police ate the shrimp. The police declined to eat the shrimp giving their reason he did not want to get sick. In the end customer had to chose whether to pay or go to jail.

Isn't it funny the Thais think of them selves as giving good service and their country is a great place to visit.

Anyone keeping track of how many tourist we have killed so far this year?

I am fascinated by people who travel or move to a foreign country and behave as they would back in their home country. Come on man! Life is too short. Accept you got ripped off and leave and don't come back. Lucky you did not eat the whole thing. Move on. Lesson learned.

a friend took me there one time and the giant shrimp came late and overcooked.. i showed the boss and he said look good to me.. i smiled and threw them one by one into the ocean. sure i paid the bill but got a round of applause from the other diners who were watching the charade..worth it i say

Thai businesses usually operate on very skinny margins and have no room for refunds.

Remember a lot of these places are paying police/army for protection, especially in the area that this original complaint arises.

I know its tough but that is the way it is.

King Seafood Inspected after German’s Rotten Lobster Accusation

pat.jpg

PATTAYA: -- 13th July, Mrs. Bupha Songsakulchai Sanitation Technical Officer, Professional Level Consumer Protection Chief, Pattaya and Public Health Officer went on location to Pattaya King Seafood on Walking Street, South Pattaya. to conduct an inspection.

Starting from the showcase in the front before reviewing the cooking process Mrs. Bupha acknowledged the procedure was correct in that the frozen food items were covered with ice. After that she moved to question the staff responsible for advising customers. It was noted that the staff stressed to customers that with the frozen lobsters only the body was for consumption, not other parts, as they were not freshly picked from the tank.

Mrs. Bupha said there were no irregularities found in her inspection and she also added that the lobster in the case of Mr Hoelderirch Wolfgang could only be examined for freshness within 4 hours, not after 4 hours.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/227310/king-seafood-inspected-after-germans-rotten-lobster-accusation/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2016-07-14

I am sure that Mrs. Bupha Songsakulchai enjoyed her post meal dessert. Served in a fancy pastry box

This is not the first time This place has been in the news. The last time it was bad shrimp. Customer refused to pay so the police were called. Police looked at and smelled the shrimp and said it was spoiled but that customer still had to pay. The customer told the police he would pay for the meal if the police ate the shrimp. The police declined to eat the shrimp giving their reason he did not want to get sick. In the end customer had to chose whether to pay or go to jail.

Isn't it funny the Thais think of them selves as giving good service and their country is a great place to visit.

Could not agree more with you when it comes to money with Thais they are hell bent this makes me so ??????? if they have done wrong they got to take responsibility as one guy sad in the uk this would be refunded asap if you had to wait or the food was bad Shame on Thailand as always they don't give a shit about tourists !!!!!

Poor guy who was lured into this tourist trap in the first place .

At least we all know which restaurant it was now. Simple solution is vote with your feet and advise people to avoid.

Personally I don't care what the restaurant say, if he ate most of the body so what. He then found the legs to be off, what was he supposed to do, say nothing? Just say "oh never mind if half of it was rotten" the restaurant need to wake up. Even the staff are saying only to eat the body, who wants to risk eating seafood in a place like that. If it is not fresh and safe, and I mean the whole body it should not be served.

These people don't deserve trade from anyone.

....what a title....and.....what a charade....

...they were given ample warning.....and do you think they would try that on a Thai anyway....

...and why are they allowed to use that word in their name.....

Sorry to hear about this man's experience and the poor customer service.

There is such a thing as professional cheap dinners.

(Bring your own cockroach, then demand a free meal)

Eating 90% of something then saying something is wrong, I didn't order that so I'm not paying etc.

We own a small restaurant and we have certainly come across it.

I know of a guy here that tries it on every time he dines out. Always bragging about what he got for free , didn't pay for etc.

Beautiful. I guess this will be a "memorable" holiday for the tourist. Come back soon na khabb wai.gif

surely it is a consumer right to be given food

suitable for human consumption.

in many countries offences like this carry fines for

the offending establishments.

any decent and forward looking restaurants should not only

give refund but also a compensatory token.

unless of course you are dealing with heartless scam artists.

And there lays the problem., Amazing Thailand,

A Western run restaurant here, most likely that would happen to some extent.

or new order served to you, maybe not refund.

He should have not given in, so quick.

Indeed it would. I had some ribs at a British-run pub in Bangkok. They were tough and undercooked, I brought it to the attention of the owner who was on the premises and the item was taken off the bill. In London my food order was lost by the kitchen and because my friend and I had to wait over an hour both the entire meal and our drinks were free.

Can you ever imagine a Thai business doing that? The Thai way of doing things is to never give a refund, ever, for anything. Even says so on the credit card receipt - NO REFUND. Never seen that anywhere else, and anyway that isn't legal as you can just get the cc company to cancel the charge. I read of a man who bought a pair of shoes in a top department store and the next day one of the soles came loose. He took the shoes back, refused to back down when they refused to replace them and they called the police. Service, Thai-style. Money is king. always. Under any circumstances.

Funny, I have never had a problem getting a refund, or replacement, especially in department stores.

a friend took me there one time and the giant shrimp came late and overcooked.. i showed the boss and he said look good to me.. i smiled and threw them one by one into the ocean. sure i paid the bill but got a round of applause from the other diners who were watching the charade..worth it i say

If you did that without paying the bill one could assume you would have been beaten up at certain restaurants.

I've eaten there many times.....including the lobster. I've never gotten bad lobster......but they've never told me not to eat the other parts or to only eat the tail. The shrimp that I've seen on ice sometimes doesn't look very fresh but then I just stay away from it!

Seems like the inspectors are looking for excuses for the restaurant. However, they have been named now and with any luck the word will spread and these ungrateful restaurant owners will lose far more than the refund that they should have given.

The last time I had lobster was down in Samui..waited nigh on an hour for it to arrive at my table and soon found out the reason why...it had been barbecued to within a second of its shelf life..looked like rubber.. smelt like rubber and tasted like s..t.I Honestly wouldn't have thrown it to the cat...as it would probably have thrown it back at me!Disgusting was an understatement!sick.gif

I am fascinated by people who travel or move to a foreign country and behave as they would back in their home country. Come on man! Life is too short. Accept you got ripped off and leave and don't come back. Lucky you did not eat the whole thing. Move on. Lesson learned.

Why anybody should accept to get ripped off?Can you explain that?

It strikes me as funny, how many Thais are willing to charge alot for their services, but when asked for a refund, due to a poor product, or service, they fight to the end to avoid having to give the money back. And some of them refer to us as cheap? Ever try to get a refund, or even a credit from a Thai? Some would rather lose a customer for life, rather than give a refund. There have been instances where I had a service issues with an establishment I had been doing business with for years. Rather than refund me a small amount of money they chose to lose me as a customer for life. Is that an extreme lack of vision, or what? Talk about not being able to see the forest beyond the trees.

This man should not have had to pay one baht. The manager or owner should have offered an apology. And a free cocktail, for his trouble. Instead, they offered ignorance, and mental retardation. Too bad this place was not called out by name.

Could not agree more with you when it comes to money with Thais they are hell bent this makes me so ??????? if they have done wrong they got to take responsibility as one guy sad in the uk this would be refunded asap if you had to wait or the food was bad Shame on Thailand as always they don't give a shit about tourists !!!!!

Responsibility is an unknown term for Thais in general

Archived