Should tourists to Thailand require a "Letter of Invitation"?

sipi

Might keep some of the riff-raff out.

who defines riff raff and where does it end?

The Immigration Department. Where it ends is up to them, same as other countries.

so on a bad day you dont get in and a good day you do, impossible to define I would think.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not from one of the 52 countries on the visa exempt list then you already need to provide documentation which may include a letter of invitation among other things. Same with Australia and EU, people from some nationalities need letters of invitation and most don't.

Why would anyone think Thailand should require all visitors to get a letter of invitation?

pray tell us which European countries require a Genuine Tourist to have an invitation letter from a person there?

germany for thais. it goes even further as thais require a 'buergschafts erklaerung' that commits a german to financially vouch for a thai during his/her stay.

This maybe applicable for bargirls. But if the thai person have a normal job and can prove of own finance, then this is not needed.

I know personaly of at least 2 person who flew to germany, swiss and france by themselve without a invitation letter.

no, she was just my peasant girlfriend and now wife. it is probably a matter of funds...

who defines riff raff and where does it end?

The Immigration Department. Where it ends is up to them, same as other countries.

so on a bad day you dont get in and a good day you do, impossible to define I would think.

like everything else in this country!

a letter of invitation to visit a third world country?cheesy.gif You think it should be a privilege?

thailand should be grateful, that tourists come here and spend money in this death trap.

Edited by Bender

A lot of countries with good tourism require an invitation letter, Australia and some EU countries included.

I am neither in favor nor apposed to this concept, but interested if it would work in Thailand.

Since when did Australia require a letter of invitation for a tourist? What country are you from because I have never been asked for a letter of invitation. Normally letters of invitation are associated with business. You say other countries ask for it but you dont mention which countries these are

Edited by gandalf12

A lot of countries with good tourism require an invitation letter, Australia and some EU countries included.

I am neither in favor nor apposed to this concept, but interested if it would work in Thailand.

Australia requires an invitation letter? Some EU countries?

Yep. Next.

pray tell us which European countries require a Genuine Tourist to have an invitation letter from a person there?

None.

Since when did Australia require a letter of invitation for a tourist? What country are you from because I have never been asked for a letter of invitation. Normally letters of invitation are associated with business. You say other countries ask for it but you dont mention which countries these are

I am from Australia.

No idea how long it has been in. Possibly decades.

No, additional cost and something that needs to be arranged. I like turning up and getting my 28 days. We already mention where we will stay on the landing card and hotels supposedly take our details and report them or whatever all that is for

I can't see them implementing something like this and making it more difficult to visit

I fail to see the purpose of a letter of invitation in the context of Thai tourism. Some other countries require it for Thais when they visit as a means to ensure that they have access to social security funds which is a lure for some foreigners going into western countries. As there is no social security system here that foreigners can access irrespective of being a tourist or otherwise. Its an irrelevance. Would a letter of invitation stop people overstaying? Well i'd expect success figures here in Thailand to be on par with western countries.

No, additional cost and something that needs to be arranged. I like turning up and getting my 28 days. We already mention where we will stay on the landing card and hotels supposedly take our details and report them or whatever all that is for

I can't see them implementing something like this and making it more difficult to visit

Can you imagine the queues at immigration if this was implemented. About 60% of arrivals fail to fill out their arrival card as it is and desperately scrabble for a pen at the immigration counter as a it is.

Australia does not require a "letter of introduction". As such. They do require a letter confirming you are giving financial support for the trip, if you are. This letter is sometimes referred to as a letter of invitation.

Edited by Peterw42

It's a joke... Indo does it for longer visas or extensions and all you do is get the agent to write it ...just a money earning initiative that will no doubt be abused by the lovely thai folk that deal with this.

Would be painful for tourists and a cash cow for those connected....

I can see this post being hijacked. By tomorrow, needing a letter of introduction, will be quoted as fact. A new law etc.

Then the posts about they hate us westerners, this new law shows they dont want us here etc etc.

Sit back and watch.

The riff raff mostly seem to live here already.

Don't bring me into this..........facepalm.gif

Thailand, meet Riff Raff. Riff Raff meet Thailand.

There, you have been introduced. Play nice.

germany for thais. it goes even further as thais require a 'buergschafts erklaerung' that commits a german to financially vouch for a thai during his/her stay.

This maybe applicable for bargirls. But if the thai person have a normal job and can prove of own finance, then this is not needed.

I know personaly of at least 2 person who flew to germany, swiss and france by themselve without a invitation letter.

no, she was just my peasant girlfriend and now wife. it is probably a matter of funds...

This is only if the person when filling out the visa application forms states they are visiting a friend, a normal tourist would not know anyone and would not require the Burgschaft.

I can see this post being hijacked. By tomorrow, needing a letter of introduction, will be quoted as fact. A new law etc.

Then the posts about they hate us westerners, this new law shows they dont want us here etc etc.

Sit back and watch.

Sit back and watch 555.

clap2.gif

Yep. Next.

not Australia mate, all you need is a visa which you get by explaining why you want to visit there & the duration of your visit, the reason is they want to make sure you are not going to do a runner once you arrive so possibly a reference helps in some cases but an invitation letter is not needed. Dont know where you got that from but it is not true, I know many people that visit there without them, someones been pulling your leg

Yep. Next.

not Australia mate, all you need is a visa which you get by explaining why you want to visit there & the duration of your visit, the reason is they want to make sure you are not going to do a runner once you arrive so possibly a reference helps in some cases but an invitation letter is not needed. Dont know where you got that from but it is not true, I know many people that visit there without them, someones been pulling your leg

If you look on the VFS site, required documents, it mentions a Support document and specifically calls it a letter of introduction.

If you look on the VFS site, required documents, it mentions a Support document and specifically calls it a letter of introduction.

Nope, people from 36 countries can get an eVisitor visa online for Australia for $20 in a day. No letter of invitation needed.

List of countries here:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/601-

Click on applicants, then "who could get this visa"

Yep. Next.

That is so funny,

I can't believe the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship have been pulling my leg.

Briliiant...

Nope, people from 36 countries can get an eVisitor visa online for Australia for $20 in a day. No letter of invitation needed.

List of countries here:

Hi Esk,

That is called an electronic visa,

a letter of invitation is just slightly different. Nice try.

List of countries here:

Yes, And Thailand is not on that list. Thais cannot get an Evisa. Evisa is for certain countries.

Thai people have to go through VFS in Bangkok to get a different Australian visa, and on the documents required page.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand//pdf/Visitor-Visa-Tourist-Stream-Checklist-050516.pdf

Where someone is supporting your application you should provide a letter of invitation and evidence of your relationship with the person, for example: correspondence (emails, letters, messaging), telephone bills, photographs, money transfers, or evidence of their financial support. o If you are being supported by an Australian Citizen, you must provide evidence of substantial ties to the sponsor if you are not directly related to him or her.

Hi Esk,

That is called an electronic visa,

a letter of invitation is just slightly different. Nice try.

The facts are there clear to read, people from 36 countries don't need a letter of invitation. I don't think anyone on this thread has ever claimed that Australia never asks for one, they might if you can't prove your finances. But for people from any of those 36 countries, nope not needed. Yes Thailand is not on that list, so what? There are some countries which Thailand doesn't grant visa exemption to as well and they might need to provide extra documentation.

As the link above says "if someone is supporting your application" then you need a letter of invitation. If you can prove you have sufficient funds then you don't need one.

Edited by eskatonia