Stop the Mafia! - forty motorcycle boys complain about extortion

Jonathan Fairfield

OHH, these hero's. When a farang or bad Thai does something small they don't like you get 5-10 of them attacking you.

40 of them can not handle 3 guys themselves? No no it is the mafia and they fight back, then we are scared little boys who go running to the cops.

This kind of collective action by the citizenry is exactly what is needed to change Thailand's crime culture...

The downside...is someone could die at the hand of these thugs...

These guys should take the law into their own hands.

I was thinking the exact thing...they would have to kill the three fellows to prevent recrimination, but that does't seem to be a problem for Thais...so their childish and violent behavior might actually have a positive outcome for once

So will the fares be lower after the motocy taxi's won't have to pay the 7000 a month?

Why should it be lower, even motocy taxi drivers need to eat and possibly support a family, or are you just another one of the cheap charlie's who likes to screw everyone.

If you want to support them then feel free to do so.

If they can drop their operational costs by 7000 a month they should share that with their customers.

Or are you one of those guys who think airflight tickets should stay high even after the fuel drops half in price?

Airline tickets / fuel costs are a completely different animal than being screwed by the mafia. I would think that most people could understand the difference - - most.

Oh yes, quite different.

The airlines mob screw you for much higher sums, but the call it "market".......

If they can drop their operational costs by 7000 a month they should share that with their customers.

Or are you one of those guys who think airflight tickets should stay high even after the fuel drops half in price?

Deflection!

Do you seriously think that paying 7000Baht a month had no impact on these people and their families. So they should just say, hey don't have to pay the mafia anymore, lets just continue to suffer and give the customers a cheaper ride

They sure made much more then 7000 a month, maffiatricks only drive the prices up which the customers will pay for at the end of the line.

But nobody told them to do this job, if they can get better money elsewhere they are free to go.

Same could be said for someone wanting (or not) to use their services, free to go elsewhere.............................wink.png

So will the fares be lower after the motocy taxi's won't have to pay the 7000 a month?

Why should it be lower, even motocy taxi drivers need to eat and possibly support a family, or are you just another one of the cheap charlie's who likes to screw everyone.

I agree

It's a pittance unless you get a greedy bastard that comes on strong which tends to annoy me somewhat but all in all most of them are very polite.

Deflection!

Do you seriously think that paying 7000Baht a month had no impact on these people and their families. So they should just say, hey don't have to pay the mafia anymore, lets just continue to suffer and give the customers a cheaper ride

They sure made much more then 7000 a month, maffiatricks only drive the prices up which the customers will pay for at the end of the line.

But nobody told them to do this job, if they can get better money elsewhere they are free to go.

Same could be said for someone wanting (or not) to use their services, free to go elsewhere.............................wink.png

But nobody told them to do this job, go somewhere else to get better money?

Why do you think, most of them, leave home and try to earn some money in Bangkok?

Simple, because there is no work in their hometown.

Which is also the reason they are easy prey for the mob.

Edited by hansnl

Prices probably won't change... The taxi bikes have simply changed paymasters... Now it's the government that get the fee, not the "unregulated mafia"

40 go to complain about 3 hoodlums...Bang, bang,

Bang....problem solved....

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine

I would be more worried about my face on a picture splashed across the media, for the mafia to see, and act upon.

Hopefully not. Given that the fares are already very cheap, I'd be happy to see these motorcy guys make a decent profit.

Hopefully not. Given that the fares are already very cheap, I'd be happy to see these motorcy guys make a decent profit.

Where do you live?? 'Very cheap'?? I must use them a lot as there's sod all else bar exorbitant 'limos' and once an hour (if you're lucky) 'chicken busses here on Phuket. I'm friendly with the guys but they are a bunch of lazy arsed b*stards who will deign to wake up/put down their newspaper with an 'oh if I really must' air who've recently doubled their fares overnight in what they deem 'farang areas', and charge the locals the same. If I'm in town the prices are 50% less, as town's deemed a Thai area, but they'll still try it on if they don't know your white ass.

I've had Thais tell me the fares are much cheaper back 'ome in Nakon Nowhere, but the 'well, the cost of living on Phuket/Bangkok wherever is more expensive'. You would therefore think they'd up their rides to make more money/save for better living standards/kids' education, but they don't. After all these years it comes down to just one thing and one thing only and that is that the Thai, in general, are lazy as <deleted>.

The motorbike riders who service the condo i live in ,are cheep and provide a good service in Sukhumvit soi 85 from my condo to Sukhumvit road ,ten baht so to be extorted 7000 baht a month would take a long time to earn .

moto taxis want 50 baht to take me to LOTUS, when i can sit in an air con taxi for the same, or get on a free bus, or an air con bus for 13 baht, no thanks, since when has a scooter the same running costs as a car ?

Or perhaps the M'cyc chaps may be able to improve their (and their families) standards of living/lifestyle/food/childrens education etc. Now that they do not have to pay the mafia 7000 Baht a month.

But hey, ......ah it does not matter.

They could first start to make their customers' lives more safe by not driving against traffic and obeying trafficrules.

After that they could install a backrest on their buddyseat so passengers can sit more safe, install a proper taxistand instead of those ugly roofs.

But it's better to clean up the sidewalks so people can walk there and won't need motocy taxi's.

"Install a backrest????" Heaven forbid, you di that & most of us couldn't get on the damned things - I ride Motorcys regularly, and the best partof it is I can jump on and off by swingijng my leg over the rear of it. Backrest?? Naaah, would never fly.

Me too, I think overall motor cycle taxi's and taxi's do it pretty tough and I for one wouldn't complain if they all got a reasonable price increase for their services. I know the cheap charlie's will complain like hell - but tough titties.

Or perhaps the M'cyc chaps may be able to improve their (and their families) standards of living/lifestyle/food/childrens education etc. Now that they do not have to pay the mafia 7000 Baht a month.

But hey, ......ah it does not matter.

They could first start to make their customers' lives more safe by not driving against traffic and obeying trafficrules.

After that they could install a backrest on their buddyseat so passengers can sit more safe, install a proper taxistand instead of those ugly roofs.

But it's better to clean up the sidewalks so people can walk there and won't need motocy taxi's.

Backrest plus a meal and refreshments on the longer sectors, in house entertainment could be optional as could hostess service.