why do so many farangs get there self in so many ploblems

catman20

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the biggest problem is people apply western logic and values to their lives in thailand. you want to start a business or a relation ship here and go about it in a western way you will be fighting an uphill battle. getting involved in property in thailand would be the third way to screw up your life here. the happiest people i know in thailand, are single, dont work here and rent somewhere to live. 3 simple rules to follow. of course i broke all 3.

I must hang with a different crowd - the farang friends I have here do not seem to get in any real trouble, a spat with the wife, maybe a slip up but nothing horrible.. but as others have mentioned, most of the problems I read about here have alcohol in the equation and it seems it happens to the type of people hwo are likely to get in trouble back home too...

Lack of common sense most of the time, but sometimes it is an incident. Lets say back on home turf would be minor ab minor incident but here turns into a shit storm and the foreigner regardless will be held upside down and screwed out of every last dime he has. It's the luck of the draw most of the time! It's not what you know but who you know in Thailand!

That is just nonsense. The only reason they get into trouble is because they cannot be bothered to follow the rules. I have lived here for 18 years without any problems - easy enough to do if, like a good girl, you always remember the date

I know some Farangs who expect here the same "neighbor rules" as in their home country: no loud music after 10 PM and on Sunday, no dog bark, no banana tree hanging over the fence, no children playing on the road, no car running 30 min in front of house...

Most of the Farangs who get trouble think that because they have money they have all rights to do whatever they want or that they can flirt with every woman they see.

The trouble comes often from the lack of respect.

"why do so many farangs get there self in so many problems"

Because they belong to a category of foreigners that got themselves in trouble on a frequent basis already "in the old country". It's just that the magnitude of the consequences they face here is ten-fold. That's my 2 cents.

It takes a different breed to give up the home country, old friends, family, customs, language, etc and move to a totally different environment a long way from home. Most run wild for a time and then settle down and become good citizens. Others unfortunately never make it to the settled stage. I personally do not know anyone who has a drug problem but almost all have an alcohol problem. They drink too much or they can't find the money to drink too much. When it comes to the women, God love em, I would not be here without them. Time for a Leo as it is past 9:00am. Cheers

They do it for fun actually.

mr smokie you have stated the only true answer , you are a honest man . you should be commended for being truthfully blunt . all honest people , men and women understand that at times it feels soo good to be a little bad sometimes . the sticky sweet rush you get from danger is what brought us all to this wonderful country and all it has to offer . if any one denies this .... well they are adrift an the river of de Nile .

1. think they have right all the time

2. language and culture problems
3 live in the wrong city with the wrong woman
3. poor in English and Thai
4. have no patience
5. generally unwise
Summary....Big problem

wa wa wa wa wa somebody quick , call the hospital , we need a wa wa wambulance for this poor soul adrift on the river of de Nile . a safe and secure pleasant place is needed asap .

Because so many of the ones coming here are just stupid axxholes that would be getting into trouble any where they go are live.

yes ..... another truth spoken ... but remember without these axxholes you would not look so good yourself . they have elevated you in the eyes of others , indeed standing on the heads of others at first glance does make you taller , upon closer inspection you kinda fit in with the group of wa wa wa people waiting for a wa wa wa wambulance to take you to a better place .

1. think they have right all the time

2. language and culture problems
3 live in the wrong city with the wrong woman
3. poor in English and Thai
4. have no patience
5. generally unwise
Summary....Big problem

wow.... it must be the way you try to put others down so that you may seem taller or more enlightened that is sad . many of us know you and your ilk , after you made your way up the mountain you watch and kinda relish others that are struggling . and that my boyo is kinda wrong , just plain wrong , no other way to say it.

in home country, not enough proverbial rope to do many things. in Thailand, they can do more things. The problem is, those things aren't good!!!

i'm 30 again, come here my love!!!!

i'm 20 again, give me another bottle!!!

i'll die tomorrow, tonight I'll take two!!!!

The refusal of Farangs to accept the fact that ladies working in the "entertainment-business" do this to improve their lives and not the live of a Farang = predators !

It's usually the foundation of further "problems" to follow.

Cheers.

you are correct , we are but pimples an a water buffaloes ass . to many of us confuse "hansom man and ATM's" with the real world of providing for a family any way you can .

in home country, not enough proverbial rope to do many things. in Thailand, they can do more things. The problem is, those things aren't good!!!

i'm 30 again, come here my love!!!!

i'm 20 again, give me another bottle!!!

i'll die tomorrow, tonight I'll take two!!!!

ahhhhh.... but it feels so good , yes it does .

I had a mate living here, and his whole attitude to Thailand was, that Thailand is in fact a giant resort.

He was a paying customer in the resort and everyone in Thailand worked for the resort.

Police are the resort security. Immigration is reception.

Everyone else should serve and wait on him as he is a paying customer.

He refered to all Thais as "they", the resort staff.

Suffice to say, it didn't take long to get into trouble.

Most farangs who get problems here due to 3 things.

Stupidity, small head syndrome, drink.

no no no you are not being honest , they get in so much trouble because they like the "danger" feeling . never felt it at home , would never be possible there . here anything goes , after all that is why you are here .

It's the "farang mentality." Because as we all know, THEY all think and act alike.

Actually, the percentage is probably fairly small, but no news reports or TV threads are produced to describe the vast majority who live here for years without having any problems. It's the empty barrels that make the most noise (and headlines).

Probably bc at no time do they realize what kind of people they're dealing with when they go abroad. All they see is Thais, but they don't see the differences between them. Best example is the way so many foreigners date hookers here, but would never be caught dead with one in their own country. In short, they're perfectly fine associating with the dregs of Thai society.

BS,if i could get a stunning working girl to date,i would,but their hours off are unsocial and they are usually too busy.

Lack of preparation (research) i.e. not bothering or deeming unnecessary the attainment of information before coming here regarding the difference between their home country and Thailand e.g. the rules and regs., the nature of the Thai and their world (Thai) view, the police and judicial system etc. etc.; finding out how it is and what lies behind why it is like it is.

Much of the above comes only with time spent here but a good grounding often separates, in my observation, those who get into trouble and those who don't.

Bingo. Guilty on all counts, and it still hurts. Live and learn. The key, if any of the above happens to apply to you, is to keep your wits about you, and be prepared to reset the clock to day one (I mean of your life), as everything you 'knew' up till this point, has been rendered null and void. Dead wrong, in fact. And for the love of Dog, stay the hell out of the bars. All of them. Life will be different from the moment of your 'awakening' on out, but with any luck, it will continue. And while there is still a heartbeat, hope remains. So, this last part is critical. Preserve dignity at all costs. Not 'face,' but actual dignity. This you cannot do sans bankroll, and with bottle in hand. You are always being perceived here. And contrary to TV conventional wisdom, the Thai and the Elephants have something critical in common: memory. Not necessarily short-term memory, but the kind that can follow you (the farang) around for the rest of your life, if you remain here. Also something to keep in mind if you haven't already figured this out, they talk. Your reputation and word will often be all that comes between you and some pretty serious consequences. In conclusion, a timeless adage comes to mind and would be well, if heeded: No matter the circumstances, when you find yourself in a hole, immediately stop digging.