Thailand more trustworthy than the US - but lags behind UK, report from Boston says

webfact

This list is based upon opinions and perceptions and not fact. The fact is that Europe is overrun by middle eastern refugees and they are not being assimilated well at all. In addition, most European countries are having economic issues. The Brexit vote has shaken the EU to its core and all of Europe will be suffering an economic slowdown. Taxes in the Scandinavian countries are way too high compared to North and South America. America gets a poor rating because of the perception it is unsafe country yet most people living there have never been a victim of a crime or even own a gun. The American economy is much better than Europe and Japan. Doing business in the US is really quite easy. There are no problems registering companies and the laws are easy to decipher and deal with. The one thing that most other countries onthe list has is National Healthcare- something that is vitally wrong with the US. In addition, most countries on the list have either free or subsidized higher education- something American doesn't really have. If life in America is so bad, why are so many people anxious to go there?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list is put out by Forbes....the American investment magazine............but of course its got to be a plot by the Thai government.

Honestly if you American guys saw this many plots when you were at home----you would probably be living in Bellevue.

This list is based upon opinions and perceptions and not fact. The fact is that Europe is overrun by middle eastern refugees and they are not being assimilated well at all. In addition, most European countries are having economic issues. The Brexit vote has shaken the EU to its core and all of Europe will be suffering an economic slowdown. Taxes in the Scandinavian countries are way too high compared to North and South America. America gets a poor rating because of the perception it is unsafe country yet most people living there have never been a victim of a crime or even own a gun. The American economy is much better than Europe and Japan. Doing business in the US is really quite easy. There are no problems registering companies and the laws are easy to decipher and deal with. The one thing that most other countries onthe list has is National Healthcare- something that is vitally wrong with the US. In addition, most countries on the list have either free or subsidized higher education- something American doesn't really have. If life in America is so bad, why are so many people anxious to go there?

Because Mexico, Cuba and Venezuela are ranked even lower?

I am not one who believes America is the greatest country in the World but I am one who believes in the truth and fair play. Wikipedia reports that the United States is the second most visited country in the World for tourists while France is first. However, in tourist dollars spent- the United States is first. In addition, people from all over the World want to get Visas and Work Permits to go there and make money. The US definitely has its warts- but- compared to many other places on earth- many people seem to want to go there to visit and live. Love it or hate it- the statistics paint a much different picture that the survey in question.

The thing with the US system is that things are being implemented step by step, little by little. Just how Hitler brainwashed his nation, the people of the US are being duped into a police state. Obama has recently just passed an executive order that allows military to fight US citizens.. Hear that in the mainstream media anywhere?? Probably not, just another step forward

Edited by ExpatLife

Boston what? I guess Boston Group?

For Singapore to be in the top group makes sense but I miss Hong Kong in that Top 20 list. Hong Kong is a global financial center and I would trust Hong Kong more then Belgium, Italy, Portugal.

I would have thought China was close to the top.

Doubt that Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan would agree with you on that one after being denuded of their South China Sea Islands!

You do appreciate I was being sarcastic

Actually- the citizens of the top 20 countries that visit the US the most- 12 are from the EU, Canada, Australia , China and Japan. The remaining 8 are from the Southern Hemisphere. To me, the country with best services; chance to get a well paid long term job and the greatest opportunities is Norway. I would also put Canada at the top of my list.

Because Mexico, Cuba and Venezuela are ranked even lower?
anxious to go and live in the US ? Crickey, if they paid me millions I wouldn't be tempted.....

I am American and I choose to live in Thailand because I am happier here. While I may criticize my birth country and make positive suggestions to improve it- I do not denigrate the country or its citizens- Many Americans do not have the means to travel or visit other countries because they are too busy working and trying to help their families. Too many people on this board like to put people down because they are different from them but offer nothing positive . In addition- some of the things people on this board say about America and its people are so wildly wrong and biased that they deserve no response.

Edited by Thaidream

Can I send all those latin american and asian illegals rushing into the US by the millions to those more respectable and trustworthy countries in the top 20?

As tony Blair said" You can tell the importance of a country by comparing how many people are trying to get in,to the number trying to get out".

I would have thought China was close to the top.

Doubt that Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan would agree with you on that one after being denuded of their South China Sea Islands!

And I doubt that you understood our Mr Gandalf was being ironical ...

Was somewhat surprised at Eire's position. Nearly bankrupted during the financial crisis, thousands of homes empty or in default to the banks, and largely supported by EU subsidies. Also a massive rip off culture for tourists over the last 10 years - my brother used to visit for fishing and found accommodation and eating out heavily overpriced, and food indescribably bad (20 euros for dinner straight out of a freezer).

Was somewhat surprised at Eire's position. Nearly bankrupted during the financial crisis, thousands of homes empty or in default to the banks, and largely supported by EU subsidies. Also a massive rip off culture for tourists over the last 10 years - my brother used to visit for fishing and found accommodation and eating out heavily overpriced, and food indescribably bad (20 euros for dinner straight out of a freezer).

Yes Ireland also doesn't have a good name, i wonder how they ended up in the list. I never heard about Irish scandals though but they drag the euro down just like the other poorest EU countries.

Sweden sure isn't what it was in the past. My Thai friend got scammed by a taxidriver in Stockholm which costed him 250 us$ for a ride of 10 minutes.

Thailand scams a few hundred tourists every year. The US scammed the whole world by selling bad loans which caused a deep worldcrisis.

"...a crisis that nearly caused a total global meltdown..."

...An observation I've used to counter farang rantings about Thai corruption. Enjoy listening to the resulting tap-dancing and rationalizing blather.

If you want a good laugh have a read of the selection criteria as it concerns each country.

"The Reputation Institute measures the reputation of 55 countries based on levels of trust, esteem, admiration and respect based on an online panel of more than 48,000 people representing the G8 countries.

The Study measures a country’s perceptions exploring 16 attributes that include it being viewed as: a safe place to visit, a beautiful country, having friendly and welcoming residents, having progressive social and economic policies, being run by an effective government, and more."