Turkish military says seized control, people take to streets

rooster59

Turkish military says seized control, people take to streets

SUZAN FRASER, Associated Press

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's armed forces said it "fully seized control" of the country Friday as explosions and gunfire erupted in the capital. Turkey's president remained defiant and called on people to take to the streets to show support for his embattled government.

Turks appeared to heed that call early Saturday taking to the streets of Izmir and Istanbul waving Turkish flags, according to television footage. Crowds also began gathering in the main square in the capital, Ankara. The Dogan news agency reported that soldiers fired on a group of people trying to cross the Bosporus bridge to protest the attempted coup, and that some people have been hurt.

A loud explosion was heard in the capital, Ankara,

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in an interview over FaceTime with the CNN Turk, dismissed the military action as "an attempt at an uprising by a minority within our armed forces." His office declined to disclose his whereabouts, saying only that he was in a secure location.

"I'm making a call out to my people. ... Let us gather in our squares, at our airports as the people and let that minority group come upon as with their tanks and artillery and do whatever they wish to do," Erdogan said.

A NATO official at alliance headquarters in Brussels told The Associated Press early Saturday that "we're following events closely," but said he had no other comment. The official spoke only on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make public statements.

Nothing in NATO's founding 1949 Washington Treaty says anything about intervening in the internal or political affairs of an alliance member, and Turkey kept its NATO membership following past military coups.

The action began Friday night, with fighter jets buzzing overhead, gunfire erupting outside military headquarters and vehicles blocking two major bridges in Istanbul.

The military said it seized control "to reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for the law and order to be reinstated."

"All international agreements and commitments will remain. We pledge that good relations with all world countries will continue," the military said in the unnamed statement.

Soldiers blocked entry to Istanbul's main Ataturk Airport, where four tanks were stationed, according to the private Dogan news agency. Two other tanks and a military vehicle were stationed in front of the VIP terminal. Dogan said the soldiers had entered the tower and stopped all flights.

Turkey's state-run news agency said military helicopters have also attacked the headquarters of TURKSAT satellite station on the outskirts of Ankara and the Ankara police headquarters.

A dozen tanks were seen moving moving toward a palace used by the prime minister and deputy prime ministers. When a car tried to stop one of the tanks, the tank rammed through the vehicle. Those in the car escaped.

Erdogan told CNN Turk he didn't believe the coup would succeed, adding: "There is absolutely no chain of command here. Right now the chain of command has been put on hold."

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said that a group within the military has engaged in what appeared to be an attempted coup.

Yildirim told private NTV television: "it is correct that there was an attempt," when asked if there was a coup. Yildirim didn't provide details, but said Turkey would never allow any "initiative that would interrupt democracy."

"We are focusing on the possibility of an attempt (coup)," Yildirim said. "There was an illegal act by a group within the military that was acting out of the chain of military command. Our people should know that we will not allow any activity that would harm democracy."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-16

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should enhance their chances of EU membership, exactly the type of country to take up the Brexit slack. rolleyes.gif

Wonder if Mad Merkel will continue to push for fast tracking the application but I suppose even she will have to wait for the dust to settle and see who the last man standing is.

What's the chances of comments locally that it will not affect LoS, tourism or the economy ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

This is from the ABC The link I posted does not seem to work.

Here is an extract

A senior EU source monitoring the situation said: "It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a significant body of the military, not just a few colonels.

"They've got control of the airports and are expecting control over the TV station imminently. They control several strategic points in Istanbul.

"Given the scale of the operation, it is difficult to imagine they will stop short of prevailing. It's not just a few colonels."

Edited by ripstanley

Turkey military coup: tanks open fire near parliament building – live updates

It is now after 2.20am in Istanbul, but live video footage appears to show crowds flooding onto the streets, gathering the Bosphorus Bridge and Taksim Square, apparently heeding the request from president Recep Erdoğan to resist the attempted coup. The crowds are directly defying a command from the military, which has declared martial law and implemented a curfew.

TV footage is showing chaotic scenes; some shots appear to show jubilant crowds of hundreds waving flags.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

Thailand's response to the military coup attempt: Noobs, you better get things right the next time.

Btw. Turkey has tried to become a EU member for the past 25 years. It will take another 25 years before the country could even be considered to become a member.

Currently it seems that the coup was not successful. Some of the coup leaders were killed by an F16 while they were flying in an helicopter.

I am just thinking what would have happened had Turkey been in the EU... gigglem.gif

That would have been like putting a ferret down Junkers trousers cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Certainly the same way as if Laos and Namibia would have been in the EU. It would have been a ferret party on Junker's pants!

Turkey military coup: tanks open fire near parliament building – live updates

It is now after 2.20am in Istanbul, but live video footage appears to show crowds flooding onto the streets, gathering the Bosphorus Bridge and Taksim Square, apparently heeding the request from president Recep Erdoğan to resist the attempted coup. The crowds are directly defying a command from the military, which has declared martial law and implemented a curfew.

TV footage is showing chaotic scenes; some shots appear to show jubilant crowds of hundreds waving flags.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

If the govt run by Erdogan prevails I would think the retribution will be swift and brutal.

What kind of values does the coup attempting military hold? I tried to ask this from couple of journalist, and never got an reply. Nobody seems to know at the moment.

Erdogan has been an arse for a long time and it's good if he goes or be killed. But before hoping this to happen, it would be nice to know what is going to be his replacement.

Any ideas?

In Turkey, the military has for a long time been the supporter of a secular and more democratic government.

Erdogan has become the supporter of a wealthy and privalged elite.

I am sure that many of the Turkish university students would not side with Erdogan,

But the businessmen would, they are the ones who are profiting from Erdogan and his wealthy cronies.

We will just to see what develops in the next few hours.

Just for the by the by, I worked in Turkey for 5 years in the 1980's.

However, things have changed since that time.....and not always for the better.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

It's being reported as a 'failed coup' in some places.

I read that a Turkish Fighter jet shot down a military helicopter. Is this a case of different arms of the military fighting each other?

The world has gone mad.

I read that a Turkish Fighter jet shot down a military helicopter. Is this a case of different arms of the military fighting each other?

The world has gone mad.

The helicopter was said to be carrying some of the coup leaders.. one of the reasons why the coup faltered..

Turkey, under Attaturk, is a secular Republic and the military is committed to keeping it from becoming an Islamic state.

You are correct as this was his vision and Legacy for Turkey. Let us hope the Civilian Casualties are minimal. Given the armour moving on main roads hard to see how it is a small Group but We will know when the dust settles.

What I read said that a military statement issued to local news outlets says they have taken power to protect "democratic order"

But the Turkish Government says that statement was not authorised by military command, but a encouraged by a rogue group within the military.

I am just thinking what would have happened had Turkey been in the EU... gigglem.gif

That would have been like putting a ferret down Junkers trousers cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Be serious, not one European will accept Turkey in the EU.
These was the USA (as always) supported by their first ally GB who maneuver for this NATO member country to be integrated. And it took deploy treasures of diplomacy by EU leaders to pretend accept the principle without ever opening the door.
After Brexit the future is much clearer. Muslim Turkey will remain outside.
Edited by happy Joe

The world has gone mad.

The helicopter was said to be carrying some of the coup leaders.. one of the reasons why the coup faltered..

Right. What a circus.

They should of consulted with the 'thais' on how to run these things ;)

Be serious, not one European will accept Turkey in the EU.
These was the USA (as always) supported by their first ally GB who maneuver for that NATO member countrie to be integrated. And it took deploy treasures of diplomacy by EU leaders to pretend accept the principle without ever opening the door.
After Brexit the future is much clearer. Muslim Turkey will remain outside.

Eh!.........Did you fail to mention Merkel and what she as done to get Turkey in and EU restarting talks now the UK has voted to leave? Or was it just another jibe at the UK!?