Forum upgrade in progress! ×

another one bites the dust, no more Sizzler @ KSK ?

daoyai

Have noticed the sizzle has gone out of Sizzler at KSK, sign on the door only says sorry for the inconvenience, the doors are closed bit the lights are on, this leaves a big hole in their entrance area. I used to enjoy the salad bar, the meat, not so much.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time I went there, not long ago, I ordered one of the steak specials and got literally a few bites of meat once I worked my way around the gristle. For something like 400 bht I vowed never to return, guess that should be easy now.

that's too bad. we would go there often. been going there for 10 years - possibly longer that i can think of. we always found the salad bar and the cooked food to be much better in their offerings than that of the other branches here. seems odd how they differ from branch to branch. airport is O.K. but KSK was better. the branch in Lee Gardens Plaza, Hat Yai being one of the best. we don't like Festival branch at all. in fact there are no restaurants i like at Festival except the basement floor mini food court.

strange since they always did a brisk trade.

unlike the others....i've never ordered steak at Sizzler (or anywhere in Thailand for that matter) - ever, over 30+ years so i have no idea of the quality of steaks. chicken was fine.

When we first moved here, my wife saw the sign and immediately wanted to go in for a steak. I suggested it might not be up to what she would get in Kobe, Japan...

When it arrived, she tried... and failed .... to cut it with the knife she was given. She asked for, and received another... and then another. Finally she gave up and used my little pocket knife. That worked for cutting it... unfortunately not for chewing it.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

It surprises me that places like Sizzler & Pizza Hut are still somewhat surviving here.....In the states no one/hardly anyone goes to a Sizzler - they out "unqualitied" themselves time after time - to the point that even the specials & paper stuffers failed to draw.....Even in the declining areas they started relocating in.....They'd lost the prime area locations years before.....

It surprises me that places like Sizzler & Pizza Hut are still somewhat surviving here.....In the states no one/hardly anyone goes to a Sizzler - they out "unqualitied" themselves time after time - to the point that even the specials & paper stuffers failed to draw.....Even in the declining areas they started relocating in.....They'd lost the prime area locations years before.....

Thais love them nothing to do with the farang. Sizzler still have two in Chiang Mai. Central Airport Plaza and Central Festival Ching Mai. The clossing at KSK is not surprising to me. Personally I dislike their salad bar but Thai do their salads different. The Sizzler salad bar in Thailand is nothing like Sizzler in the US.

In the Bangkok Sizzler is hugely popular. In fact around lunchtime/dinner theres always a queue waiting to get a table. I once asked one of my students "why was it so popular ?" Her explanation was its a Western dining experience.Thais are very capable of buidling a salad mountain on their plate from the salad bar.

In Bangkok there are plenty of students, plus Thai families with the necessary baht to indulge, they don't need foreigners

Thais LOVE Sizzler, that's for sure. every Sizzler i have ever been to Thailand is packed with Thais from all walks of life including many, many students.

Sizzler in Thailand is a completely different company than that in the USA. as i recall the USA company went bankrupt after they were sued for millions and millions of USD as a result of people getting very sick and some even dying from E. coli which they traced to workers or one worker in particular, handling tainted meat and then touching fresh vegetables w/o washing their hands.

Last time I went there, not long ago, I ordered one of the steak specials and got literally a few bites of meat once I worked my way around the gristle. For something like 400 bht I vowed never to return, guess that should be easy now.

A steak place should be centered around the meat...not a salad bar.

I guess you exposed them I never went there took one look at their menu and prices and went upstairs to the Black Canyon. I guess being just inside the front door you get the low hanging fruit. Seemed like an expensive business model to me and as some quote here the quality was ??? I was always amazed they lasted this long.

I only ever went to Sizzler once,found a great,big,fat caterpillar on the underside of my salad and that was that! bah.gif

Damm.. i really don't get it foreigners are never happy. Its like their life is centered around complaining, even when they get some fresh meat for free with their salad they still complain. cheesy.gif

Personally i love sizzler, have never had any problems, go there often, also go often to Oishy buffet and MK. Here in BKK Sizzler is always packed .. you need to get a Nr to get in and I am almost always the only foreigner.

I only ever went to Sizzler once,found a great,big,fat caterpillar on the underside of my salad and that was that! bah.gif

Did they charge you extra for the caterpillar?

I love Sizzlers, they have the best value Farlang type meals in the whole of Chiang Mai. Fish and chips, peppered steaks, refill soft drinks and the salads are fantastic. Sometimes I have gone into Sizzler just to eat the salad. Usually when I`ve eaten at Sizzler it leaves me full for the rest of the day.

Would be a great loss if they were to all shut down, hope not.

What is KSK, actually its quite possible to get good steak in bangkok things have improved with imported meet from Australia, New Zealand or even Wagyu from Japan. Restaurants like Lady Brett, Roast, and Hyde & Seek are good places for steak but there are more. But eating rubber beef at sizzler has never been interesting I only eat the sallad buffet or chicken if I go there.

They use to put out one of the best hamburgers in Chiang Mai par none. The wife and I enjoyed eating there after a movie. As the tile says "anther one bites the dust."

I and the family go, I order an entree like 'chopped steak' have them box it up for take away, and enjoy grazing the salad bar until I'm full. If we go for lunch, I have a Sizzler dinner at home later that night. I do like their salad bar.

What is KSK, actually its quite possible to get good steak in bangkok things have improved with imported meet from Australia, New Zealand or even Wagyu from Japan. Restaurants like Lady Brett, Roast, and Hyde & Seek are good places for steak but there are more. But eating rubber beef at sizzler has never been interesting I only eat the salad buffet or chicken if I go there.

Kad Suan Kaew Mall. Next to RAM hospital. Northwest corner of the moat.

Sizzler failed in several states in The US a long time ago because of the low quality of the food.I haven't seen a Sizzler in Texas in 20 years.I guess that they thought that Thais weren't that knowledge d about good meat.

Sizzler failed in several states in The US a long time ago because of the low quality of the food.I haven't seen a Sizzler in Texas in 20 years.I guess that they thought that Thais weren't that knowledge d about good meat.

On the contrary ... Thai's are years behind the West in discovering alternate food styles and Sizzler will fizzle here same as US and Australia. Soon.

I recall patronising a Sizzler-look-alike in Patong years ago for the salad bar which was it's best feature. A revamp took it out of circulation and the restaurant was gone last visit to Phuket.

KFC has struggled in many countries for various reasons yet prospers in Thailand. I recall a time in NZ/Aus when the KFC parent (Collins?) trialed all you can eat KFC lunch .... idea went the way of the Dodo, naturally, but the base product was good enough to prevail.

yes indeedy the salad bar at sizzler was always the best deal in town.I loved the ice cold quails eggs and the potato salad was to die for.And of course the soups were great too.Me and a couple of mates would spend hours there after a booze,in the old days.i never went much on the stakes or the chicken because the meat tasted like it was processed That Salad bar was a bargain at the price,and i would gladly have paid double or triple for it.

Sad to know that the place is closed.

Maybe you're not paying attention. There are hundreds of Sizzler Steak's throughout Texas so where have you been?

Damm.. i really don't get it foreigners are never happy. Its like their life is centered around complaining, even when they get some fresh meat for free with their salad they still complain. cheesy.gif

Personally i love sizzler, have never had any problems, go there often, also go often to Oishy buffet and MK. Here in BKK Sizzler is always packed .. you need to get a Nr to get in and I am almost always the only foreigner.

So - they resole your shoes for you?

Or - you're bragging about the strength of your teeth & gums.....

Sizzlers born & bred - and died in the USA.....

Next up - Waffle House affectionados.....

I know - same same - but but but different....!!!! It's all in the texture......

Archived