Getting paid for bottles

Rc2702

Not been in isan too long and never occurred to me in bkk that anyone can get paid for their bottles. Glass or plastic.

I saw samlors collecting them and I thought the mrs was saving ours to give to them but no she said we got like 400 bottles already and can get 1-3 baht a bottle.

I think that's great I always thought in uk there should be an incentive. (Don't point out the bloody obvious eco warriors)

So my question:

Who else is getting paid for bottles and what's the most you collected and how long?

Just to be clear we collect what we use were not rummaging for bottles, nothing wrong with that but I'm a bit more able at present but maybe one day.

Between 2 of us we go through 8-10 bottles a day not including alcohol but that would only be an extra 15 bottles a week but that's totting up to aprox 85 bottles a week let's call it 2 baht for lack of experience sake and that gives me about 4500 bottles which is 9000 baht ( based on 2 thb a bottle)

Might be old news but nice system I always check our stash is hidden well outside lol

Good on you,recycle and make a few Bhat,we recycle paper,cardboard,ally cans,plastics,

all glass jars bottles,if you are referring to beer bottles,you get more if you can supply with

the box as well.keep up the good work.

regards worgeordie

Three baht a bottle, you have been drinking too many bottles if you expect anyone to believe that.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The mrs may have exaggerated as I just interrogated her she hastily blamed her grandmother, poor sod. but on the bright side imagine the uproar if I had said she told me 10 Satang you lot would be sharpening the knives with tales of woe.

"Your being fleeced pal"

7 Baht for a carton with 12 empty large LEO bottles.

I will find the bottles sometime later in the home store filled with thinner biggrin.png

(fortunately the bottles are relabeled)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Here in Pattaya in my small apart building collecting for recycling (bottles, paper, alu cans) has been done forever I remember by the Thai lady of a co-resident farang.

Periodically a small truck shows up and buys the lot

Better than throwing away in the trash.

Three baht a bottle, you have been drinking too many bottles if you expect anyone to believe that.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The mrs may have exaggerated as I just interrogated her she hastily blamed her grandmother, poor sod. but on the bright side imagine the uproar if I had said she told me 10 Satang you lot would be sharpening the knives with tales of woe.

"Your being fleeced pal"

So in real live your 9000 Baht/year may actually be close to 1000 Baht, since a plastic bottle which are the the bulk of all your bottles fetch even less than 50 satang a large leo does.

Hope you don't have to drive too far to deposit them, but I feel that your venture actually runs at a loss.

Loss? There is no loss you bloody cynic get a grip man for gods sake that bottle in front of is half empty I get it but not everyone's bottle is.

My maths and projections were a tad overstated but if I sit on them long enough and continue collecting for years where would be the loss be then?

Even if you get 3 Satang it's profit. The trip to the merchant you just do when you heading that way. Space you may ask well we all know the answer to that. A thai land load can be an absolute Sh#t load.

Loss? There is no loss you bloody cynic get a grip man for gods sake that bottle in front of is half empty I get it but not everyone's bottle is.

My maths and projections were a tad overstated but if I sit on them long enough and continue collecting for years where would be the loss be then?

Even if you get 3 Satang it's profit. The trip to the merchant you just do when you heading that way. Space you may ask well we all know the answer to that. A thai land load can be an absolute Sh#t load.

I'm no cynic, I'm a realist, and that's probably the reason why I don't need to collect empty bottles.

Well and collecting them for years before it's worth taking them to the collector, you must live in a really tidy environment, you might as well invite a scrap yard operator to set up shop on your land.

I'm no cynic, I'm a realist, and that's probably the reason why I don't need to collect empty bottles.

Well and collecting them for years before it's worth taking them to the collector, you must live in a really tidy environment, you might as well invite a scrap yard operator to set up shop on your land.

Need you say, ok I'll take it, I need to collect bottles sir because I like the concept of getting something for nothing. Take note of the other posters actions. It's the weekend and this geezers getting all Alan Sugar on a load of bottles. They will go to the family members. Cannot believe you arguing the toss I'm no eco warrior sorry chaps but even a wasteful chap such as myself can see the benefits of collecting a few bits and pieces that can provide something to someone for nothing. All you need to do is save 12 bottles go find a thai guy OAP rummaging for bottles and give him them. A smile and a thanks is all you may get. Disaster strikes!

Well done the recyclers!

All our recyclables used to go out everyday when the maid went home; a win win for maid and us.

We then went and stayed at my brothers house for holiday in the uk while they were away on holiday. So we had to follow the local recycling regime with 4 different coloured rubnish bins put out for collection on different days. I was impressed and hooked. Took me a while on return (no maid these days) as the wife was sceptic but I went down ikea and boughts 2 big plastic bins with hole pattern so they don't fill with rainwater. One is for plastic bottles the other for glass . The first thing is the shock at how much rubbish in a week you generate...where do they take it and put it. Second thought is a bit of embarrassment at the beer and wine bottles and we dont actually drink that often or much.

Very pleased we started recycling, like feeding the birds everyday, gives me some pleasure.

We just put the bottles out every few weeks for the rubbishmen to profit from...might make them happier to collect from us than most neighbours.

Well done the recyclers!

All our recyclables used to go out everyday when the maid went home; a win win for maid and us.

We then went and stayed at my brothers house for holiday in the uk while they were away on holiday. So we had to follow the local recycling regime with 4 different coloured rubnish bins put out for collection on different days. I was impressed and hooked. Took me a while on return (no maid these days) as the wife was sceptic but I went down ikea and boughts 2 big plastic bins with hole pattern so they don't fill with rainwater. One is for plastic bottles the other for glass . The first thing is the shock at how much rubbish in a week you generate...where do they take it and put it. Second thought is a bit of embarrassment at the beer and wine bottles and we dont actually drink that often or much.

Very pleased we started recycling, like feeding the birds everyday, gives me some pleasure.

We just put the bottles out every few weeks for the rubbishmen to profit from...might make them happier to collect from us than most neighbours.

Nice post I used to do same in bkk. Old man rummaging through the bins working hard in the heat. I would separate bottles from rubbish and hand them directly to him. The Win was seeing his face when I returned back to bkk after 8 weeks overseas. Karma real or not real? If that was your 666th post i'd invest a bit of time in karma. Private ish joke.

7 Baht for a carton with 12 empty large LEO bottles.

I will find the bottles sometime later in the home store filled with thinner biggrin.png

(fortunately the bottles are relabeled)

Have you tried a different recycle place ??

box of 12 empty LEO bottles 15 baht..

16 baht per kg of clear plastic,

11 baht per kg of coloured plastic etc...

Myself always recycled been here over 13 years..

Edit: just thought do you take your stuff yourself ? or is that the price given by someone collecting ?

Edited by ignis

In southern Sisaket, we get 4 baht for 12 leo bottles loose, or 8 baht if they are in the carton. The shop next door sell the cartons for 3 baht. I don't buy full cartons, because I will drink too much if they are in the fridge.

If the missus catch me stalking of to the shop, she will nag me so I feel guilty. And good on her. The sister comes to get ours and sell them. I buy the boxes just to keep them tidy.

In southern Sisaket, we get 4 baht for 12 leo bottles loose, or 8 baht if they are in the carton. The shop next door sell the cartons for 3 baht. I don't buy full cartons, because I will drink too much if they are in the fridge.

If the missus catch me stalking of to the shop, she will nag me so I feel guilty. And good on her. The sister comes to get ours and sell them. I buy the boxes just to keep them tidy.

I wonder why the carton fetches such a premium whistling.gif

I live in rural Thailand and we have a guy who comes around on his samlor with his young daughter every 3 or 4 weeks.

He takes just about everything except the whisky bottle boxes.

I have no idea of the prices but we get 20 or 30 baht a time usually. He then sells that lot to a local recycler for more than he paid. The locl dealers sells on to the regional dealer who I assume sells on to the recyclers themselves.

We do nothing except drink the contents and put the scrap bottles out.

Not worth the hassle,,of collecting bottles, paper, etc,, Used to do the same,,,end up with about 4 -5 big bags of bottles, cans ,, plastics etc,, end up having about 60-80 baht. Cant really retire on that sort of money,, Can you smile.png

What I do now,, I have spotted a very old Thai guy, who comes around every now and again,, collecting,, rubbish from the bins,,, Told him to follow me to my house,, give him a load of rubbish,, and then told the Wife,, to ask him to call around,,Once a month,,,wai2.gif

Edited by welsh1

Berty, I will happily spend 30 baht for ten boxes just to tidy up 120 loose bottles. My sister in law is such a trooper. She makes those thatch panels, collects all sorts of scrap, and forages so many hours for 1 or 2 hundred baht a day. She can have the bottles.

We recycle beer cases/bottles, loose bottles, plastic bottles & containers, cans, and cardboard, if we have any. We have 4 trash cans that we use to separate the loose items. Takes about a month & they are full, except for the tin cans. I don't really care how much we get as long as I'm not getting farang price, from the buyer. We get 100 to 120 Bt per month. It usually pays the water bill. 5555

Between recycling & the compost pile, I just about don't have any trash. I throw a full Tesco bag away about once every 7 to 10 days. About the only things in that bag of trash are plastic bags, potato chip bags & stuff like that.

I got a chuckle the last time the guy came. He saw the empty Crown Royal bottle & made a big deal over it. Hopefully he kept it. I wonder if he will pay for the blue bags the Crown bottle comes in? If so, I'm buying a new truck.

Funny old world but was just speaking to a chap in trang who is part of this trash hero org cult. They collected 155000 kgs of cans and bottles and no trang recycling joint will touch them. Very odd.

More about money in recycling at Isaan here: Isaan Recycling

Hi benjie

So gathering from your link would I be right in concluding:

Most recycling centres are using government funds/NGO Funds to operate and whilst this is a great concept which allows poor thais to earn a bit of cash collecting bottles. The sad fact is there is not much going on in the top end of the recycling chain and many of these recycling companies are actually dumping the waste?