inflation is killing me

zeichen

That explains why milk is more expensive than whisky at 7/11.

Really, on what basis is that, the man in the moon accounting principle!

Ok, not quiet as expensive as whiskey but 2 liter bottle is 100b

And 2 litres of whiskey costs how much?

Yes, I do realise it nowhere near the price of whiskey. It was sort of a joke.

(Not ment to be taken literally)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it called when you post something that you pretty much know is BS, or you make some sweeping generalization based on insufficient data and then make "an observation" about it?

It's not "flaming"; maybe it's "retarding." I'm not sure.

butter suprises me,allowrie 227grm.block produced in thailand at todays rate of exchange 2gbp.= 94bht.facepalm.gif

yet anchor original imported in the uk 250grm block 1.25gbp.= 60bht.

anchor imported in thailand 250grm.block 115bht.

doesnt make sense or i am loosing my marbles.burp.gif

butter suprises me,allowrie 227grm.block produced in thailand at todays rate of exchange 2gbp.= 94bht.facepalm.gif

Import duty.

Import duty.

yes CM import duty but allowrie is the same price as anchor.

allowrie produced in thailand.

anchor imported.

Import duty.

anchor imported.

It's because a lot of pricing is based on what the market will stand, rather than cost plus.

People are prepared to pay a premium price for butter, so they charge as much as they can.

A bit strange as nobody actually needs butter.

PS

Whipping cream can be had for around 140-160bht/liter. It can be very quickly turned into 1Kg of butter.

If you really must have butter, make your own, and the quality is much higher.

Edited by MissAndry

Import duty.

anchor imported.

Whilst I don't like it, it does make sense. In a market that is dominated by home based products, why not charge the same as the imported goods since the consumers really don't have a choice. Sure, Allowrie could sell for a third of their current price but their thinking is, why should we.

Anyone who thinks Thailand is still cheap to live in is kidding themselves!

I don't agree. I've not lived in another country where I can live comfortably on 1k Pounds a month. There's no taxes apart from sales tax, no community charges, utility costs are exceptionally low (monthly: water - 100 baht/gas - 70 baht/electric - 1,000), diesel is half the price of the West, food is exceptionally cheap in markets and the like (40 pounds a week feeds two people more than comfortably) plus the quality is usually extremely high plus entertainment costs are inexpensive (have you bought a movie ticket in the UK recently). It all depends on lifestyle and how you want to live.

I have absolutely no problem living in Central London on 1,000 pounds a month. What I miss is the large and varied range of food I had there. The eating in Thailand is very restricted. And fruit here, why is it so expensive? Fruit and fruit juice in London is so much cheaper. No need for a car, and I don't have a space to park it in London anyway.

Fruit prices border on criminal. Organic veggies too, if they are even organic in the first place.

My largest expense is food. Then factor in whey protein... it's outrageous. I can eat AT HOME cheaper in the USA than I can here with the same foods. Eating out is generally cheaper here for good Western food. Eating out back home is expensive unless you're budget eating at Taco Bell or White Castle.

Import duty.

anchor imported.

It's because a lot of pricing is based on what the market will stand, rather than cost plus.

People are prepared to pay a premium price for butter, so they charge as much as they can.

A bit strange as nobody actually needs butter.

PS

Whipping cream can be had for around 140-160bht/liter. It can be very quickly turned into 1Kg of butter.

If you really must have butter, make your own, and the quality is much higher.

Why do you keep saying that people don't need butter? Do you only buy things that you really need and never things that you really like? I don't need butter, cheese, bread, cream, coffee, tea, eggs, bacon, or milk, but I like them all so I buy them. How is that strange?

I don't agree. I've not lived in another country where I can live comfortably on 1k Pounds a month. There's no taxes apart from sales tax, no community charges, utility costs are exceptionally low (monthly: water - 100 baht/gas - 70 baht/electric - 1,000), diesel is half the price of the West, food is exceptionally cheap in markets and the like (40 pounds a week feeds two people more than comfortably) plus the quality is usually extremely high plus entertainment costs are inexpensive (have you bought a movie ticket in the UK recently). It all depends on lifestyle and how you want to live.

I have absolutely no problem living in Central London on 1,000 pounds a month. What I miss is the large and varied range of food I had there. The eating in Thailand is very restricted. And fruit here, why is it so expensive? Fruit and fruit juice in London is so much cheaper. No need for a car, and I don't have a space to park it in London anyway.

Most decent fruit has to be imported, so only the local stuff is cheap.

Why do you keep saying that people don't need butter? Do you only buy things that you really need and never things that you really like? I don't need butter, cheese, bread, cream, coffee, tea, eggs, bacon, or milk, but I like them all so I buy them. How is that strange?

It's only to stick the sides of a sandwich together. You don't need to use it anywhere.

You can very quickly get used to eating without it, it doesn't add flavour.

Using butter is a bit like using MSG, not required, but people insist on sticking it in everything they eat.

Edited by MissAndry

It's only to stick the sides of a sandwich together. You don't need to use it anywhere.

You can very quickly get used to eating without it, it doesn't add flavour.

Using butter is a bit like using MSG, not required, but people insist on sticking it in everything they eat.

I think you're confused with margarine if you think butter doesn't add flavour.

Must I buy your ticket for you, as it seems you cannot afford one home.

All governments have been saying the same thing for a long time, there is no inflation but deflation therefore

zero interest rates. How they calculate inflation each year would be interesting to know. I think they still factor in

the price of an 8 track player and hoola hoops. All governments must sit back laughing at their sheep who do nothing but

keep paying higher prices or less quantity for same price and get zero interest on their hard earned savings.

It is the governments who benefit from their propaganda and I truly wish the world would wake up and stop being like puppets

on a string. Start by withholding taxes.

You don't need butter, buy the fruit that's cheap.

Limes are at a very low price at the moment, 10bht for 5 large.

Pancakes with lime and sugar.

Cold water with ice and a squeeze of lime.

And a new coffee shop opened last week near me.

Everything is 30bht a cup (or glass).

https://www.facebook.com/banpongcoffee

I need butter: I'm not fond of dry toast.

Try Makro they sell large blocks of Allowrie butter for 295 baht.

Inflation is based on what the market will bear. Thai income goes up very little, so shop for most things where Thais do and you'll see things aren't up much at all. As previously mentioned foreigners' items will also go up, but if the price goes up too much, no one buys, then items either go away or prices go down.

I'd like to know where you are getting butter so cheaply. I've been buying 1 kilo blocks for 2 years from a bakery supply for 150 baht and that I considered cheap. Are you sure you're in Thailand?

I think Thailand is still quite affordable. And depending on where one decides to live and how to live it can be "cheap" too.

my 2 favourite,heinz baked beans,tesco uk 4 for 2.69gbp.biggrin.png

thailand price tesco lotus 100bht for 1 = 2.00gbp.shock1.gif

spam tesco uk 1 x 340grms 1.99gbp.biggrin.png

thailand price 1 x 340gms.230bht. = 4.60gbp.shock1.gif

would the op tell me where he buys butter 500gms.= 72bht.facepalm.gif

thats not inflation its farang virus the scurge of thailand.

Not really a fair comparison as you are comparing local with imported products.

In Thailand the Local product baked beans would be "Ayam Brand' and are 3 tins for 99bht, same price as the UK.

PS, You don't need butter.

you don't need baked beans.

Obviously fresh food prices fluctuate. Eggs have gone up 15-20% but that was the same price as about 2 years ago (CP declared war on small producers last year, drove many out of business - now price goes back up) . Pork similar to last year, chicken the same price. The drought did mean that during the hot season fruit and veg got expensive later on, Onions carrots, potatoes (all mainly imported) same price as previous years. Bananas went up a lot - locally we had a big storm which wiped out the fruiting trees so maybe just local effect. Coffee cheaper than 3 years ago. Chabaa fruit juice 39 baht a litre, same price for 4 years. Sugar you keep a watch for when it goes on sale, never pay more than 22 baht. Cooking oil cheaper than last year. The supermarket chains have more offers, you have to shop around. Bread up 5%.Soft drinks, milk products, no change. I don't see any inflation in shopping items this year.

The prices of things like tomatoes; pineapple; apples and most other fruits have gone up considerably. Tomatoes used to be 22 Baht per Kilo/Today at Lotus 45 Baht down from 59. While overall living in Thailand is not as expensive as back home- the prices of food in the US are cheaper than Thailand. Also, alcohol in the US can be cheaper than Thailand. The prices of gas/diesel in Thailand are more than the US but cheaper than Europe. It all depends where you originate from but overall $1000 per month goes further in Thailand when everything is considered. Most essentials in Europe are much higher than Thailand .