What do you need to get a Thai birth certificate as an adult?

Moved to here.

They cannot produce a new original. They will do a certified copy of it.

Does you wife have a copy of the original? If not she will have to go to the Amphoe where here birth was registered and request they find a copy of the original.

She will need her ID and house book.

And hope there is a copy on file - in many cases years past files were stored in local schools and such and subject to fire and rodent loss. In that case alternative arrangements can normally be found to satisfy the birth certificate requirement.

Moved to here.

Does you wife have a copy of the original? If not she will have to go to the Amphoe where here birth was registered and request they find a copy of the original.

No copy of the original.

Moved to here.

No copy of the original.

All you can do now hope they that they can find a copy of the birth registration where she was originally registered.

If they have the records you and your wife may end up helping to find it at the Amphoe.

You should check with country visa requirement is from for alternatives - for my USA immigrant visa application there were clear alternatives available which we used without issue (although never bothered to move from Thailand). There are many people in this world without access to birth certificates.

Would not expect an "agent" to be aware of alternatives - direct contact with government officials would likely be required for exceptions. As said Thailand can not re-issue and many people do not have access to originals or copies.

• Like 2

Would not expect an "agent" to be aware of alternatives - direct contact with government officials would likely be required for exceptions. As said Thailand can not re-issue and many people do not have access to originals or copies.

No, the agent in question is the sole agent for the country in question that you have to go through. So they do know the requirements.

SIL is going to go to the amphur on Monday to see what they can issue.

As long as it is some kind of document that the embassy accepts, that is the main thing.

We've had dealings with them in the past and they're very particular.

Update to follow.

Thanks for all replies.

My wife's birth certificate is slowly deteriorating -how do we get, and who from, to get a certified copy.

Since you have the original a certified copy can be obtained at any Amphoe.

Thank you for the reply- We asked Banglamung District Office and they said no - you still have the actual one. We showed the officer the original one that is getting close to unreadable but still no.

We will try again another time or somewhere else.

• Like 1

In that case a lawyer may be well worth the cost - and depending on use that should be alternatives allowed - such as documents/statements from family and neighbors of the time born and such.

When i married my wife, her birth certificate had been lost. Neither at the Amphoe nor at the hospital where she had been born anything could be found. Fortunately one of her uncles had been a lawyer, but it was still a long and difficult way to go, took more than a month at various offices and quiet some money until we got a substitute that finally got acceptet at my embassy too. But this was nearly 30 years ago, so the OP's wife maybe should give it a try to ask at the hospital where she had been born.

Just to give a quick update. SIL went to the amphur earlier in the week to ask.

My wife will have to go to the amphur with Mum, older sister, and village headman, and they will then issue whatever they issue, which we can use for the visa application no problems.

It's a bit of a pain as we've already started the visa application, which once approved has a number that expires 15 days after approval.

But I guess we'll just have to apply again nearer the time that my wife will be back in Thailand next month.

Only lost 300 baht, so no big deal.