Thai sex industry under fire from tourism minister, police

rooster59

I think we all know that the industry is not as large an income earner for the country as first appears.

But is the Lady Minister going to find 800,000,000 a month to feed 90,000 families in Isaan & approximate areas.

Time to rethink a little, the underground industry will be crime & disease ridden with no department interested in solving the problems

as no brown bags anymore.

Singapore went down this road as well, now they are reversing the trend quickly as they lost all the fun tourists & realized that

the City State was becoming boring

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is <...> deeply conservative...

...which is why the largest segment of the sex trade will be left untouched although the industry will pull the covers of legitimacy even tighter over the Karaoke bars frequented by Thai men.

Prostitution is the use of your body to get money. Does not mean sex only. Instead of using their brain like most of us do. Foreign teachers use their "white hairy skin" to get a job. Even though most of them are not academically qualify. This is a form of prostitution.

what a ridiculous post! - you clearly wouldn't make as an academic, as you don't even know how to define a word. It is quite clear what prostitution means and how it is used in certain other circumstances - but you certainly show no signs of understanding this at all.

The vast amounts of tourists that come here for the said purpose.. BUT 90% of the industry provides for Thai men it is said.

OK, A customer pays 1,000 bht to the bar boy-girl. they send 500 bht home, 1,000 goes on food and room---room rent and street stalls is normally where this money goes. The bar collects a take off fee-----the bar pays to--whoever collects a % from local gov employees ( ha ha).

Breaking all this down- the bar thrives the corrupt receiver thrives, the government tax collects, the parents in ISSAN spend locally, the street vendor thrives the room renter thrives. Add on normally the bar person has a motor cycle, rented---and uses petrol.

All the alcohol bought at these bars is revenue to tax--and company AND i HAVE MISSED MANY SPIN OFFS.

NOW Tourist minister where do you put the redundant people ??? if you close the industry---OUT TO GRASS.??

Redundant people? There's a labour shortage in Thailand and an education system.

The minister has no idea. Get rid of the seedy side of Thailand and people will go elsewhere. People on holiday are looking for a contrast from the daily normality of life.

And there is nothing normal about Thailand!

I can't speak of South America but in Asia there is no bigger brothel as Thailand.

So where would those sextourists go then? Probably the Thai hookers will also go there.

Try the Philippines. Population is about 40% larger than Thailand's, but various estimates place the number of prostitutes at around twice that Thailand's (roughly 200K vs 500K). The Philippines attracts fewer foreign tourists, so it's just not on our mental map of where prostitution is prevalent. Same perhaps could be said of India, Sri Lanka etc -- few of us have any idea of what the sex industry is like in these places.

“Tourists don’t come to Thailand for such a thing. They come here for our beautiful culture.” clap2.gif

Someone seriously needs to clean their 'reality goggles' and then start taking their 'meds' again. Anyway, if they do manage to close the primary commercial venues, they will simply drive the industry underground, and my guess is that the Thai sex industry posing as 'karaoke bars' will still be doing a thriving business for Thai men.

Edited by connda

attachicon.gifkobkarn.jpg

This the Minister of Sports and tourism, Kobkarn Wattanavrankul. I believe she is correctly referred to as a woman.

Not bad looking. I wouldn't want her all night but a short time sounds good. How much?

dude get your peepers checked out

As ever, many people vastly overestimate the impact of sex tourism on the Thai economy.

As ever, the government Minister vastly underestimates the impact of sex tourism on the Thai economy.

AND, turns a blind eye to the fact that 90% of prostitution in this fair land is by and FOR local consumption, in every town and village. 24 hour Massage places, roadside bars, love hotels and resorts with curtains over the carpark are to be found in a hundred places in every province, even out among the rice fields. Yes, even within a "k" or two of my own home in the countryside there are several of the above, yes, even surrounded by the rice fields!!!! We put two falang guests (who are also members of this forum) up in a local "love hotel" for my wedding 10 years ago because there were several to choose from but no actual real hotels for 10 or 20 kilometres around. One big resort has sprung up since then but I have not bothered asking if the rooms are available by the hour.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Thats it. Bury your head in the sand that will solve everything. The main reason that this country is in a better financial

situation that some of the other south east asian countries is because of the millions of us dollars that was poured into

this country during the vietnam war, and why did they come here. Da. For the beer and the sex industry.

Or, it could have been the closest place they could build runways and hangars to bomb the crap out of the commies and everyone within 100 meters of the commies. I'm pretty sure they didn't select it on the basis of the women.

The women didn't attract the GI's money. It was the other way around.

Of course it was. Spot on. Good comment!

Prostitution is the use of your body to get money. Does not mean sex only. Instead of using their brain like most of us do. Foreign teachers use their "white hairy skin" to get a job. Even though most of them are not academically qualify. This is a form of prostitution.

what a ridiculous post! - you clearly wouldn't make as an academic, as you don't even know how to define a word. It is quite clear what prostitution means and how it is used in certain other circumstances - but you certainly show no signs of understanding this at all.

yea , what he said ,

attachicon.gifkobkarn.jpg

This the Minister of Sports and tourism, Kobkarn Wattanavrankul. I believe she is correctly referred to as a woman.

Not bad looking. I wouldn't want her all night but a short time sounds good. How much?

dude get your peepers checked out

She should be put in charge of "The Ministry of Silly Rules." Much more fitting.

Although I believe she certainly has a point, I donot think it should be the priority of the minister of Tourism.

She has a host of other issues to sort out first, imo..dual pricing comes to mind for example.

No No, Toch,Those phony teachers along with the owners of the phony international schools re doing the crime of "misrepresentation" and not prostitution.

"Prostitution has been illegal in the south-east Asian country since 1960, but the industry employs more than 120,000 sex workers,"

First of all that number cannot be correct, must be upwards to a millions souls at least.

Secondly, less than 10% of all sex workers cater to the 'farang' or sex tourist for that matter.

Pointless article imho

In principal I agree. But I can't help wondering what they are going to do with all these uneducated girls that are working in the sex industry and are supporting there families back in the village as well as many others. Like the food cart lady who sells them their daily meals. .

If they are just looking at brothels with underage workers I certainly agree 110%. But if you are looking at the entire sex industry as a whole, where most girls are of age, it is going to effect a lot of other people who depend on their income. Which also can't be replaced working in a factory, and if even they can get such a job. Prostitution is perhaps "Shameful", but so is "Poverty".

I also don't believe that the sex industry is scaring away quality tourists. That by shutting down the sex industry you are going to attract a lot more tourists. In my view it will get you the opposite effect.

There are plenty of places one can go in Thailand and not faced with this. Even in Pattaya it is very possible to go to places, and do things, that are not connected to the sex industry. Plenty of places. I think the biggest attraction to Thailand is the mild winter weather and why the High Season begins then..That was what attracted me my first time here.

Although I believe she certainly has a point, I donot think it should be the priority of the minister of Tourism.

She has a host of other issues to sort out first, imo..dual pricing comes to mind for example.

If prostitution is affecting her ability to attract a huge group of tourists (families) and their sweaty tourist money, it should be a priority for her.

I know dozens of guys back home (USA) that will never see Thailand because their wives refuse to take their family on a vacation to a sex tourist destination.

I don't know a single family that chooses their destination based on a few bucks of dual pricing. Irritating expats? Sure. Influencing holiday destination decisions? Not likely.

And for the guy who's going to respond that he sees plenty of families traveling to Thailand- sure. But how many more would come if they didn't have to expose their kids to in your face sex?

Edited by impulse

I mostly agree with Jacko, it's all part of the mix - along with temples, beaches, spicy food, ladyboys, shady characters, bad English, etc.- that differentiates Thailand from other destinations, gives it a certain "frisson", if that's the right word, and draws people here. I can never understand people who come to live here, then complain because Thailand is what it is.

thats about as Mad as BRIT EXIT ,how the Police Girls going make there money ,thailand runs of the sex trade ,for sure the Tourism will go down ,just words ,or if she really did something i cant say she will be in the job or this world long ,theres just to much money involved

21 pages of posts on a story about sex,,, hahahaa shows everyone is interested in sex one way or another..

'Sex sells' or in this case it is more about 'sell sex'

The cynic in me says 'Sex sells everything...but sex'

The romantic in me says 'Money will buy you everything... but love'

The realist in me says 'Thailand will care for Thais - who else?'

...start with the marriage scams then please.....

...change and enforce the laws by international standards.....give the hapless foreign male victims their basic human rights....

.......so easy to make up a slogan....and suddenly it's 'reality overnight'.....???

If prostitution is affecting her ability to attract a huge group of tourists (families) and their sweaty tourist money, it should be a priority for her.

I know dozens of guys back home (USA) that will never see Thailand because their wives refuse to take their family on a vacation to a sex tourist destination.

I don't know a single family that chooses their destination based on a few bucks of dual pricing. Irritating expats? Sure. Influencing holiday destination decisions? Not likely.

And for the guy who's going to respond that he sees plenty of families traveling to Thailand- sure. But how many more would come if they didn't have to expose their kids to in your face sex?

Well,I totally disagree. Thailand is a huge country with sex trade concentrated in only a very few places.

I travel through Thailand ny car for a living and have been in each province at least once and I can think of more than 100 really nice places here to go to or just to see with your family without encountering any of that.

Moreso, I know of people that have been here, travelled around with kids and were not even aware of any sex trade, just pick your destinations using tripadvisor or booking.com instead of TV !!

This woman must be truly naive if she thinks that she's going to stop the sex trade.Of course,i agree with stopping traffiking and under age workers.That goes without saying,but as for the rest of it,no way.The Baht would go back to 74 to the pound in a heartbeat.And after a while when all the owners of happy endings and girly bars see their profits dropping like stones,she will be sacked and called 'a danger to the economy'

Tourists come for our beautiful country and our culturecheesy.gifcheesy.gif yeah right! good luck with that.What makes the most money? the sex trade or the national parks? i know what my money is on.The sex trade is too far embedded in this country for it to stop.But let her try.i bet all the Cambodian,Filipino,Vietnamese big boys are rubbing there hands together.Love it or hate it,its here to stay.

The other thing is that there is a demand for this industry and all she will do by stopping it,will send it further underground and as we know,forbidden fruit is the sweetest.

Good luck to her, it's an industry riddled with crime, disease, drugs and despair. The country might start to be a decent place with less of it, although you cannot get rid of it completely, filth is best swept away as much as possible.

it's an industry riddled with crime, disease, drugs and despair

I take it you're referring to the THAI scene then?

So, do you also consider the UK, Australia, NZ, Holland and the US ( plus most other countries in the world ) to be not decent places? They all have sex industries.

"Prostitution has been illegal in the south-east Asian country since 1960, but the industry employs more than 120,000 sex workers,"

First of all that number cannot be correct, must be upwards to a millions souls at least.

Secondly, less than 10% of all sex workers cater to the 'farang' or sex tourist for that matter.

Pointless article imho

I disagree. I'd say the number is about right, perhaps 20 or 30 thousand more, but no one will ever know for sure.

Of course, if you are going to include the uni girls that put out to rich businessmen in Siam Square to make pocket money for a new i phone the numbers would increase somewhat. laugh.png .

Every time some jaded expat comes out with the cliched, sarcastic 'right, because people come here for the temples and the culture' response, it makes me smile. You're just showing yourself up for what you really are. Because yes, people do, as well as for the scenery, the food, the people, the fun activities, and the many other things that people love this country for. The fact that you can't find anything to like about it beyond cheap sex says more about you than it does about Thailand - and the fact that you remain in a place you so disdain in order to have sex with people who only tolerate you for your money is bordering on tragic.

In principal I agree. But I can't help wondering what they are going to do with all these uneducated girls that are working in the sex industry and are supporting there families back in the village as well as many others. Like the food cart lady who sells them their daily meals. .

If they are just looking at brothels with underage workers I certainly agree 110%. But if you are looking at the entire sex industry as a whole, where most girls are of age, it is going to effect a lot of other people who depend on their income. Which also can't be replaced working in a factory, and if even they can get such a job. Prostitution is perhaps "Shameful", but so is "Poverty".

I also don't believe that the sex industry is scaring away quality tourists. That by shutting down the sex industry you are going to attract a lot more tourists. In my view it will get you the opposite effect.

There are plenty of places one can go in Thailand and not faced with this. Even in Pattaya it is very possible to go to places, and do things, that are not connected to the sex industry. Plenty of places. I think the biggest attraction to Thailand is the mild winter weather and why the High Season begins then..That was what attracted me my first time here.

I also don't believe that the sex industry is scaring away quality tourists.

I assume you equate "quality" with "rich", though I'd have my doubts about that.

However, you are correct in that it doesn't scare away rich tourists. They recently opened a Hilton in Pattaya, and there are many expensive hotels on Sukhumvit in the heart of the Bkk sex industry for farangs.

This minister is just doing what women do nowadays and attacking anything men want to do.

If "They" want to "eradicate" sex tourism just start arresting the "Sex tourists" and see what happens.

They have no laws that would allow them to do so, and I can't see them passing any that would.

IMO, this is just about the minister's desire to make a name for herself, and I can't take it seriously.