Thai sex industry under fire from tourism minister, police

rooster59

No matter what she is saying the facts remain: Sex tourism is a main source of income for this country. If you cancel venues then Thailand is doomed. Let's be honest here... Most of us went to bars or "massage" or other venues. Most of single man were drawn to Thailand for the Thai girls "friendly behaviour".

You stop that then Pataya will be deserted.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes she is right, they come for culture. It's exciting to get in a tuk tuk or taxi request a specific destination and be taken elsewhere to spend where the driver can earn a commission under false pretext. The challenge of renting a Jet Ski with side bets on how much you will be scammed for is incomparable. Taking a lovely lady back to your hotel only to find it has three legs and you are missing valuables is yet another exciting part of the beautiful culture. All tourists marvel at the dual pricing and wonder why this is not done worldwide. Getting on any public transport such as boats, buses and vans is like an exciting game of Russian Roulette. Yes, minus the sex trade, tourists will flock here knowing the people smile only because they love our money. The draws of the beautiful Thai culture are too many to mention.

Edited by rethaier

Prostitution is the use of your body to get money. Does not mean sex only. Instead of using their brain like most of us do. Foreign teachers use their "white hairy skin" to get a job. Even though most of them are not academically qualify. This is a form of prostitution.

No. No it isn't.

Yes it is.

One marries a farmer and together they have just enough money to get by. The other goes down to Pattaya and starts selling services. She sends 5000 a month back to mom and dad who, despite the fact that she told them she was a waitress have a pretty good idea what's really going on. In Thai culture which daughter is the hero of the family and making merit the most?

My vote would go to the one who doesn't have to lie about what she's doing. That's kind of a dead giveaway.

And you'd be wrong. In Thailand money is king. Always. Always.

Thats it. Bury your head in the sand that will solve everything. The main reason that this country is in a better financial

situation that some of the other south east asian countries is because of the millions of us dollars that was poured into

this country during the vietnam war, and why did they come here. Da. For the beer and the sex industry.

5555.I don't thing that was a consideration when the yanks put their bases here.How about proximity to target and a compliant govt.

Yes she is right, they come for culture. It's exciting to get in a tuk tuk or taxi request a specific destination and be taken elsewhere to spend where the driver can earn a commission under false pretext. The challenge of renting a Jet Ski with side bets on how much you will be scammed for is incomparable. Taking a lovely lady back to your hotel only to find it has three legs and you are missing valuables is yet another exciting part of the beautiful culture. All tourists marvel at the dual pricing and wonder why this is not done worldwide. Getting on any public transport such as boats, buses and vans is like an exciting game of Russian Roulette. Yes, minus the sex trade, tourists will flock here knowing the people smile only because they love our money. The draws of the beautiful Thai culture are too many to mention.

Thing is, most of that stuff only happens in the sex tourist areas. Which rather strengthens the argument for getting rid of them to improve the country's image.

Very, very few people (if any) decide not to come to Thailand because of it's seedy reputation

So, if Disney allowed you to barfine Snow White at their theme parks, you don't think they'd lose some of their family visitors?

IMO in the mid-term (5 years or so) the following is likely to happen:
The garish in your face establishments are in the crosshairs. The shops closed last week on Soi 7/1 are an example of that.
The suspected underage and trafficking shops are in the crosshairs. AS THEY SHOULD BE. The recent Rachada Road raids are an example of that.
The screws will be tightened on the silver pole and floorshow venues. Slowly so everyone will have time to adjust to the new economic normal. Farang owned and operated businesses will be top of the list of course.
Neon will be out of fashion. Marketing will be curtailed. Websites will be plain vanilla. What some call underground will still really be quite visible to those who are looking for it.
The organized nightlife clusters will be tamped down on to the point of financial extinction. The property will be put to a higher commercial use. The reborn will be smaller and scattered.
Opportunities for horizontal mingling will still exist. Ladies will still be about on the streets. Bars and disco's will still attract the usual following. Discrete massage shops will still offer all manor of happy happy. The internet will become more important as a primary point of introduction.
More like the pay-for-play scene around the planet really.
SL

You hit the nail on the head, I have been watching this slow process for the past 10 years when I visit Patong, Phuket.

I wouldn't be giving her the credit, like I said, its been in the pipeline for a while now, whether its good for Thailand with all those families who already are hungry with mouths to feed is another question, that is unless the government is going to step up and provide some kind of welfare system for their losses, through the corruption fund ? I am all for shutting down places that use girls that are under aged and trafficked.

I suppose at the end of the day, you will have the disco's to pick up the girls/ladyboys if your so inclined, no ridiculous bar fines of 1,000 THB to make you go elsewhere either....never been one to throw the $ when I know I don't have too, leave that for the mugs.....lol

I also tend to agree. I think in general the entire industry has been on the downturn for the past decade. It is especially apparent in Samui or in Phuket. Chiang Mai is taking it's last gasps of air, when it comes to the little bit that it offered. Pattaya, Bangkok, and Hua Hin still seem to be doing ok, or at least holding their own. These high profile shutdowns of the soapies mean very little. Like you said, they are very conspicuous. They will never shut it down altogether. It will just go underground, and they will succeed in developing a repressed society like in the US. A friend of mine, who managed the largest foundation in Thailand, devoted to caring for HIV positive people (generally without means to care for themselves) for 10 years, and speaks fluent Thai, told me it is well known in the NGO community that the sex industry in the US is far larger than in Thailand. It is so far underground, that few Americans that I speak with have any idea. They laugh when I tell them that. And she also told me the current figure of the amount of people directly employed by the industry is closer to 800,000 here, not the silly number of 120,000, which is fabulously inaccurate. But, it is underground, the result of failed policy, prurient, moralistic, false religion, preachy petty doctrine, which criminalizes sex, those that offer it, and those that support it. The very fact that a man can be arrested for a happy ending massage, and become a life long sex offender as a result, speaks volumes about how broken a society America has become, and how repressed it's people are. As an American, I can tell you that desire for the appearance of purity exists only on the very surface. There is nothing to it. It is all false, and it is all coming from entirely the wrong and misguided place. And it has accomplished nothing but drive it underground. It has not decreased the desire one iota.

Same will happen here. Of course the tourism minister does not know this, as she has not studied the problem, nor does she have the vision, intellectual power, policy making ability, experience, or wisdom to see what the result of her disastrous efforts to stamp out this industry are going to have on her country, and her people. She has no idea what she is doing. Not a clue. And neither does the little man. Clueless once again.

Prostitution is the use of your body to get money. Does not mean sex only. Instead of using their brain like most of us do. Foreign teachers use their "white hairy skin" to get a job. Even though most of them are not academically qualify. This is a form of prostitution.

No. No it isn't.

Yes it is.

Arguing with the dictionary makes you look foolish.

I mostly agree with Jacko, it's all part of the mix - along with temples, beaches, spicy food, ladyboys, shady characters, bad English, etc.- that differentiates Thailand from other destinations, gives it a certain "frisson", if that's the right word, and draws people here. I can never understand people who come to live here, then complain because Thailand is what it is.

There are good and bad points in every country, and Thailands good points far outweigh the bad.

Imagine how great Thailand would be if most of the average Thai people had even average intelligence.

What a racist comment.Imagine how great Thailand would be better off without you and your ilk here.

Edited by louse1953

I mostly agree with Jacko, it's all part of the mix - along with temples, beaches, spicy food, ladyboys, shady characters, bad English, etc.- that differentiates Thailand from other destinations, gives it a certain "frisson", if that's the right word, and draws people here. I can never understand people who come to live here, then complain because Thailand is what it is.

There are good and bad points in every country, and Thailands good points far outweigh the bad.

Imagine how great Thailand would be if most of the average Thai people had even average intelligence.

Expats like you are helping by dragging the average down a little.

Let not forget that prostitution is not widely available here because of foreigners. Thais are using that all the time. Any Karaoke bar in most remote area of the country the Thai customer can take out the waitress or waiter. It is part of their culture. Husband play on the side is Thai typical. Foreigner using bars or prostitution services are a very small percentage compare to Thai people.

Let not forget that prostitution is not widely available here because of foreigners. Thais are using that all the time. Any Karaoke bar in most remote area of the country the Thai customer can take out the waitress or waiter. It is part of their culture. Husband play on the side is Thai typical. Foreigner using bars or prostitution services are a very small percentage compare to Thai people.

Let's not forget that we're discussing the tourist minister here, so foreigners are most likely her main concern.

What a racist comment.Imagine how great Thailand would be without you and your ilk here.

No. No it isn't.

You're right.

Dictionary definition: the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.

Winnie

Fascinating the difference in respect for the laws on different subjects here on TVF:

On overstay? Deport them and blacklist them if they can't follow the rules.

Blowing weed in Thailand? Lock the idiots up- they knew the rules.

Working without a WP? Lock them up then send them home if they can't abide by the rules.

Drinking on Buddhist holidays? Don't you dare get between me and a tourist's God given right to get drunk on holiday.

Frequenting hookers? The Thai economy will collapse if I can't get cheap sex. Collapse, I tell you!

You my friend have hit the nail on the head. The best comment I have seen in a while. 100% accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fascinating the difference in respect for the laws on different subjects here on TVF:

Working without a WP? Lock them up then send them home if they can't abide by the rules.

Drinking on Buddhist holidays? Don't you dare get between me and a tourist's God given right to get drunk on holiday.

Frequenting hookers? The Thai economy will collapse if I can't get cheap sex. Collapse, I tell you!

You my friend have hit the nail on the head. The best comment I have seen in a while. 100% accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Accurate because 99.9999% of whiteys are mongerers. [emoji39]

Watch the GDP plunge 30-60%. gigglem.gif

How can you say that when all of tourism is only about 10%???

You guys need to get out of the tourist areas more, Thailand has a large industrial sector and exports products worldwide!!

The real size of the tourism industry in all of it's facets is closer to 13% of the total economy. That is quite significant. Or course with the visionary policies of the little man, and his fabulously incompetent tourism minister, that number is shrinking every single day. It is a vital industry, that is not being supported with any sort of intelligent or visionary policy. The industry is being sabotaged from every angle. People just have too many options these days, and other countries are trying far harder to attract the tourists. Thailand is not only doing next to nothing, it is actually establishing policies that discourage tourism. My belief is that the industry will continue to shrink (Chinese tourists do not count. They are not contributing much to the local economy), as the real income is shrinking, in dollar volume, due to the continuing policy of deliberately targeting very low quality sectors of tourists.

It it true that Thailand has a very large economy. But, that economy has shrunk from the 22nd largest in the world ten years ago, to the 29th largest as of today, by most estimates. The economy is slowing down. Part of that can be attributed to the world economy, but a far larger part of that is being caused by disastrous fiscal policy, on the part of this very incompetent administration.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/thailand/overview

“We doubt growth will pick up strongly this year. Thailand’s unstable political situation will continue to hang over the outlook for private investment, while high levels of household debt will keep private consumption growth subdued,” Krystal Tan, an Asia economist at Capital Economics, said in a note. “Meanwhile, lackluster external demand and declining competitiveness will weigh on goods exports.”

The return of military rule to Thailand is putting a hole in the people’s pockets. Sixteen months after the events that brought down the democratically elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra, incomes in rural areas, where more than 34 million Thais live, have collapsed. Exports fell by 4.9 percent during the first half of 2015, according to the Thai government.
Long term, the Thai economy may be in serious trouble. I think many of the 7,000 plus Japanese firms will begin to re-locate elsewhere, over time. The continued instability of the place, combined with the extreme lack of innovation on the part of the government, will take it's long term toll on the country. There have been no recent policies with regard to improving tax incentives, government assistance with the construction of new facilities, no improvements in the countries educational system, nor it's ability to teach it's people to speak decent English, modest improvements to it's infrastructure, no ability to address the periodic flood problems, that plague this nation, no real progress (other than vague promises) to develop a high quality rail system, no improvements in public or traffic safety, no improvements with the incompetent RTP, etc.
Also, no progressive policy when it comes to work visas, and the easing of visa policy. If anything, due to the tremendous lack of vision, of those in charge, policy has gotten more difficult, and visas are now more expensive, and more difficult to obtain. The exact opposite direction things need to be moving in. Likewise land ownership. There have been no progressive ideas for decades, in regard to this problem that plagues both the ex-pat community, and the foreigner workers who are based here.
"The decline is raising concerns that Thailand's economic slowdown is not a temporary problem caused by its political upheaval but a structural one caused by the manufacturing industry's failure to adapt and the increasing attractiveness of its lower-cost neighbors. It's time for products with high technology but nobody has invested in them here," said Visnu Limwibul, chairman of the Thai Electrical, Electronics, Telecommunication and Allied Industries Club.
The reality is that it's neighbors are far more progressive, and are trying far harder. It is only a matter of time before Vietnam, Malaysia, and quite possibly the Philippines, and Burma surpass Thailand in total GDP. That is my guess. Thailand is now the second largest economy in ASEAN after Indonesia. Within 10-15 years it is my guess it will be #6. Without progressive and innovative policy, created by men and women of vision (sorely lacking here) this once great country, will continue it's downhill slide into irrelevancy.
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd has opted to site two large smartphone factories in Vietnam, and made around $11 billion worth of investment pledges into the Vietnamese economy in 2014, according to government newspaper Dau Tu.

In 2009, Vietnam's electronics exports were worth $2.8 billion, a tenth of the size of Thailand's. Last year they had reached $37.3 billion, compared with Thailand's $33 billion.

Edited by spidermike007

What a racist comment.Imagine how great Thailand would be better off without you and your ilk here.

I am only telling it the way I see it, ie, the carnage on the roads, I would guess that about 80% of the adult Thai population either drive or ride motorbikes, and most of them, yes most, have very little common sense on the roads.

That 80%, with the same little common sense, are also working at their jobs or doing other things. Go figure.

One marries a farmer and together they have just enough money to get by. The other goes down to Pattaya and starts selling services. She sends 5000 a month back to mom and dad who, despite the fact that she told them she was a waitress have a pretty good idea what's really going on. In Thai culture which daughter is the hero of the family and making merit the most?

My vote would go to the one who doesn't have to lie about what she's doing. That's kind of a dead giveaway.

And you'd be wrong. In Thailand money is king. Always. Always.

I dare you to come to my Asoke office and say that to our Thai women, many of whom could triple what we pay them, a block away at Soi Cowboy.

If you take me up on the dare, wear a cup. And running shoes.

I visited Pattaya one time and was out for a morning jog. It was 10AM and the local bars will already filled with customers. Not tourists but grumpy old men living in Pattaya, drinking beer, waiting for their favourite bar girl to wake up, and surfing the TV forum to comment. A whole new meaning to happy hour, reinvented to happy morning.

99.9999% of TV members you mean??? Edited by anthony0339

According to some reports, quite a few of Bangkok's live music venues are closing: reporting that customers have been scared by the arrival of 'officials' , repeatedly. Some owners are saying business is down 60-70%. So it's not just the sex industry under pressure. One of the measures of any truly international city is the variety and quality of genuine entertainment venues.

I'm not a fan of clubs and discotheques but do enjoy live jazz: I would hate to see any more of these places hounded out of business...or forced to close due to the downturn in (poor quality) tourists.

And of course the way to do it, is by "CRACK DOWNS".

Lets forget simple things like poverty, poor education etc. No need to focus on the causes.

I don't think education comes within the remit of the minister for tourism.

attachicon.gifkobkarn.jpg

This the Minister of Sports and tourism, Kobkarn Wattanavrankul. I believe she is correctly referred to as a woman.

Not bad looking. I wouldn't want her all night but a short time sounds good. How much?

Well now we know what the farang attitude is!!! as twerking and thongs are the western culture, they must all be like this to their ministers!!! Theresa May????

Anything that is banned goes underground, which creates demand, which empowers the local mafia / criminal element, which ups the risk of violence and crime, which makes it worse for everyone.

Common sense.

I agree. Stop fighting the masses and instead provide rules and regulations that protect the workers and customers.

Suppression has not ever been an effective tactic.

The war on drugs has failed miserably, do they really think the war on the oldest profession will have any better results... ??