Thai sex industry under fire from tourism minister, police

rooster59

I wonder if they will include the small places such as exist around my town in Isan, currently about a dozen where they never see a farang.

If they do it will upset a lot of the local Army, Police and Local Government officials who use them, me thinks not.

One rule for the farang and one for the Thai's as usual.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She also said the following in an interview, Read the last sentence

Question: The tourist flow from Russia to Thailand in the first half of 2015 shrank by half due to the depreciation of the Russian ruble. How do you assess the situation on the market before the beginning of the new season, what prospects do you see?

Answer: We are concerned about the Russian tourism market in Thailand and hope that in the coming season we will witness an increase in the number of Russian tourists arriving to spend a vacation in our country. It is always on my mind now since the Russian market is very important for us. This week I will be participating in the Russian tourism fair “Leisure-2015”. By the way, the Thai delegations have been attending this fair in Moscow for 20 years; we are strongly committed to participating in it. There we will talk both with tour operators and with travel media.

Of course, we have our own interesting ideas about travel and tourism programs, but first we are going to listen to the wishes and proposals of Russian tour operators and then suggest our own ideas to them. All this will be done to improve the tourist product, to join efforts to make it more attractive.

We believe Russians are “high-quality” tourists. Our travel business likes Russian clients. Therefore, we are searching new modalities of work, conducive to changing the situation with Russian tourists in Thailand for the better.

I'm now thoroughly fed up with the sex industry and all it stands for - but if the minister thinks she's going to stop it by raiding brothels......... words fail to convey the stupidity that this implies.

Thailand is an inherently sexist, male dominated society - just a glance at the TV and advertising will show you that - so raiding the odd "wash-'n-wank" isn't going to change a national psyche that has dominated for centuries.

if she really cares for the tourist industry, she would be better off concentrating her energies on protecting the natural sources of Thailand that attract the majority of visitors to the country and could do for years to come...if they still exist

Edited by cumgranosalum

Quality tourism ? Which planet is this lady on ? Over the past 35 years the "quality" of tourists that I have seen has steadily declined to where it is now, the dregs from Calcutta, the Middle East, and let,s not forget about the big spenders from China :( and it seems that this is being encouraged by the government !

Thailand has promised to eradicate its notorious sex tourism industry as it attempts to reinvent itself as a female-friendly travel destination.

Prostitution doesn't bother me, having a guy in charge who thinks wearing a bikini is an excuse for rape and murder does.

After working in the hospitality industry here in Thailand for years, it seems to me that many people in this forum are sadly mistaken about the state of the tourism industry over here.

In all of the hotels I've worked at (4-5 stars), 90% of the clientele are couples and families. Only 10% are single male travelers. Those 90% also tend to spend a lot more on average than the other 10%, at least within the confines of the hotel (spa, food and beverage, excursions, etc...).

The same is true on the other end of the spectrum, in very cheap guesthouses. Those tend to cater mostly to groups of young people or young singles who typically can find sex without having to pay for it and mostly tend to hookup with other foreign travelers anyway.

That leaves the 2-3stars hotels, which are where most single males stay. In such hotels located in tourist destinations, it's about a 50%/50% ratio, with 50% groups and families and 50% single 30y+ men. I sincerely doubt, however, that travelers who can't spend more than 1,500 to 2,000 baht/night for accommodation spend a considerable amount of money while they are outside their hotel.

Edit: Those ratios apply to places where I actually have hands-on experience (BKK, Phuket and Samui). Pattaya, on the other hand, probably has a much higher single men ratio, but that's only one town out of about ten major tourist hotspots in Thailand.

Your analysis is good but it needs some numbers. I assume 4-5 star hotel tourist amount for a tiny fraction of the total. Maybe 2% or 5% or 6%. Where is the rest of the tourist dollar supposed to come from?

It may be good in places but he does not know anything about how much single guys spend. I meet many playing golf here who will spend more than their accommodation cost just on golf 5 days a week and then you have their evening's entertainment........Many people look for cheaper deals so they have more money to spend outside their lodgings.

How relevant that is to the overall I have no idea - and nor do I really care wink.png

That leaves the 2-3stars hotels, which are where most single males stay. In such hotels located in tourist destinations, it's about a 50%/50% ratio, with 50% groups and families and 50% single 30y+ men. I sincerely doubt, however, that travelers who can't spend more than 1,500 to 2,000 baht/night for accommodation spend a considerable amount of money while they are outside their hotel.

I have a 'friend' who spends 250-500bht a night on accommodation and 3,000-5,000bht a night on girls and booze.

Catering for dirty old men isn't really applicable in the 21st century. I must admit picturing a young pretty Thai lady barely 20 years old, with a drooling fart, old enough to be her grandfather is quite repulsive. In EU this would be considered unacceptable. Regretfully, Thailand does seemingly attract the dregs of society .. the sex tourists, perverts, and criminals. Most come after failing to attract a woman in their home country, (which is not surprising). So they come to LOS, as looks/age don't matter, so long as you have a fat bank account. I have witnessed 60 year-old men acting like a 21 year-old, which just looks ridiculous. Would be nice if Thailand cleaned-up it's act. The bars, and whore-houses were catering for the US service men at the time of the Vietnam war, well those days are gone. Time to clean-up the image of the country that is for sure.

Wow......at least we know how you feel.

Also, why does everyone here relate the sex trade to western tourists or whatever derogatory name you want to give them.

The Thais have been selling it since time began.

Do you remember what the original word "siam" used to mean?

You can take the girl out of the sex but you can never take the sex out of the girl.

Why do we constantly try and impose western morals on people that have no interest nor use for them?

After working in the hospitality industry here in Thailand for years, it seems to me that many people in this forum are sadly mistaken about the state of the tourism industry over here.

In all of the hotels I've worked at (4-5 stars), 90% of the clientele are couples and families. Only 10% are single male travelers. Those 90% also tend to spend a lot more on average than the other 10%, at least within the confines of the hotel (spa, food and beverage, excursions, etc...).

The same is true on the other end of the spectrum, in very cheap guesthouses. Those tend to cater mostly to groups of young people or young singles who typically can find sex without having to pay for it and mostly tend to hookup with other foreign travelers anyway.

Edit: Those ratios apply to places where I actually have hands-on experience (BKK, Phuket and Samui). Pattaya, on the other hand, probably has a much higher single men ratio, but that's only one town out of about ten major tourist hotspots in Thailand.

WRONG

Let me correct you.

Shut down the sex industry and a certain category of people will go elsewhere, while again another category will increase to come to Thailand, as they now avoid it because of it's seedy reputation.

The latter category is also known to spend more per day than the former, especially at businesses that pay taxes.

Being from the tourist industry myself, I know of no one who avoids Thailand because of it's seedy reputation. On the other hand, I know for a fact that a lot of regional companies conduct incentive tours, kick off meetings etc in Bangkok and Pattaya because the target audience (dealers, agents, principals) likes and indulges in it's offerings.

All sounds very sensible until you dig beneath the surface. How would you know that a prospective tourist was turned off of Thailand because of a seedy reputation? With the tell you? Would you ask? It seems to me altogether more probable that they wouldn't even inquire about Thailand if they'd heard about the seedy reputation. Or perhaps you don't agree...

"See you in a bit dear, I'm just off down to the Thai holiday shop. No dear, I'm not going to buy anything I just want to tell that nice touristy man that I think Thailand's very seedy and I won't be buying anything from him because of that".

Doesn't really seem all that likely when you see it in print…

Winnie

We have major events such as travel fairs. We also regularly meet with travel agents who are on the front line. We know very, very well where customers go / don't go and the reasons why. For example, touristic business to France from Japan has dropped 50% since last year (even before the recent Nice incident) but continues to increase from China and India.

Vvery, very few people (if any) decide not to come to Thailand because of it's seedy reputation

She's funny, THAI culture, run down temples, dirty wash rooms, dirty food handlers, thieves, not 1 person speaks English at my local LOTUS store, under trained technicians, underage drinking, kids on motorbikes, 15 people in the back of a pick-up, trucks and buses crashing every day.

Take away the income for the sex trade, no more new motorbikes bought for girlfriends, no new houses or farms and education for their kids because the lazy Thai man who knocks-up a girl and then leaves her with the kids.

Please Ms. TOURIST police get a grip on what is real. I BET you have a nice 20 million baht house, good job, where did all that money come from.

SHE would be a great girlfriend for Clinton, both live in the clouds.

As ever, many people vastly overestimate the impact of sex tourism on the Thai economy.

As ever, the government Minister vastly underestimates the impact of sex tourism on the Thai economy.
I'm guessing she's probably a little better informed on the subject than you are.

Given the ability of a lot of government officials, wouldn't bet on it.

Oh, I bet she does!

I would hazard a guess, that she knows exactly, that many of her friends and colleagues frequently visit such places and not a few get bunches of cash out of them as well!

But of course, THOSE are not the places she talks about!

She talks about Nana, Patpong, Bangla and Walking Street, where the "dirty" farang, they don't give two hot sh1ts about, seek "entertainment!

All the places, that are "in the face" of Thai- hypocracy and bigotry!

She's funny, THAI culture, run down temples, dirty wash rooms, dirty food handlers, thieves, not 1 person speaks English at my local LOTUS store, under trained technicians, underage drinking, kids on motorbikes, 15 people in the back of a pick-up, trucks and buses crashing every day.

Take away the income for the sex trade, no more new motorbikes bought for girlfriends, no new houses or farms and education for their kids because the lazy Thai man who knocks-up a girl and then leaves her with the kids.

Please Ms. TOURIST police get a grip on what is real. I BET you have a nice 20 million baht house, good job, where did all that money come from.

SHE would be a great girlfriend for Clinton, both live in the clouds.

Bill would love to tap that ;)

q0UDk0b5RNK9eRy737vW_Bill%20Clinton%20Th

IMO in the mid-term (5 years or so) the following is likely to happen:
The garish in your face establishments are in the crosshairs. The shops closed last week on Soi 7/1 are an example of that.
The suspected underage and trafficking shops are in the crosshairs. AS THEY SHOULD BE. The recent Rachada Road raids are an example of that.
The screws will be tightened on the silver pole and floorshow venues. Slowly so everyone will have time to adjust to the new economic normal. Farang owned and operated businesses will be top of the list of course.
Neon will be out of fashion. Marketing will be curtailed. Websites will be plain vanilla. What some call underground will still really be quite visible to those who are looking for it.
The organized nightlife clusters will be tamped down on to the point of financial extinction. The property will be put to a higher commercial use. The reborn will be smaller and scattered.
Opportunities for horizontal mingling will still exist. Ladies will still be about on the streets. Bars and disco's will still attract the usual following. Discrete massage shops will still offer all manor of happy happy. The internet will become more important as a primary point of introduction.
More like the pay-for-play scene around the planet really.
SL

You hit the nail on the head, I have been watching this slow process for the past 10 years when I visit Patong, Phuket.

I wouldn't be giving her the credit, like I said, its been in the pipeline for a while now, whether its good for Thailand with all those families who already are hungry with mouths to feed is another question, that is unless the government is going to step up and provide some kind of welfare system for their losses, through the corruption fund ? I am all for shutting down places that use girls that are under aged and trafficked.

I suppose at the end of the day, you will have the disco's to pick up the girls/ladyboys if your so inclined, no ridiculous bar fines of 1,000 THB to make you go elsewhere either....never been one to throw the $ when I know I don't have too, leave that for the mugs.....lol

Edited by 4MyEgo

I completely disagree with alot of what you said. I just do not think you have the perspective on this. You are looking at it from high end hotel perspective. Very few single men stay in hotels like this. Personally, I stay in very nice 4 star hotels in Bangkok, in the 1700 to 2000 baht range. No need to spend any more than that, when you can get a hotel like the Davis or the Dawin, for that kind of money. Comfortable enough. Families and couples tend to spend more. I have many friends who visit, or live here, and they spend that same 2000 per night on a hotel, and then go out and spend 2,300 on a 90 minute session in a fancy massage place, without a second thought. Sometimes twice a day! Plus meals, drinks, etc. That is alot of cash being pumped into the local economy. So your doubts about men who spend 2000 baht on a hotel having the money to spend a considerable amount of money while outside the hotel is utterly groundless, and completely wrong. They are the ones who are supporting this industry. And they are the ones who will probably never return to Thailand, should the "industry" disappear. I am referring to both Bangkok and Samui, places where I have a great deal of experience.

Thailand's sex industry (whether you deem it a problem or not), like most problems in the country are a by product of the biggest issue Thailand faces - corruption! Prostitution is illegal, it only proliferates where corruption allows.

Most of the prostitution aimed at tourists is done so legally, through the ubiquitous "barfine". The illegal services aimed at tourists, such as street soliciting and "brothels" are regularly raided and always have been.

when this closes down I'll believe it

Lucifers is a disco. No sex there.

I wonder if they will include the small places such as exist around my town in Isan, currently about a dozen where they never see a farang.

If they do it will upset a lot of the local Army, Police and Local Government officials who use them, me thinks not.

Why would they? This is about the sex industry aimed at tourists, and the image Thailand has a sex tourist destination, as it has emanated from the Minister of Tourism.

Of course, we all know it will not disappear, regardless of how misguided this current tourism minister is. She will be gone soon enough, and for some of us that cannot happen fast enough. Her background was completely, and utterly inappropriate for the portfolio position of tourism and sports minister. She could not possibly be more out of her element. As usual, with the little man, she was not picked for her talent in the tourism area. No merit in his administration is ever considered. Her studies and experience are as follows:

Fine Arts, Wellesley College, US; degree in Architecture, Rhode Island School of Design, US. Former Assistant to Project Manager, MahBoonKrong Center Co., for the interior design of the largest shopping complex in Bangkok. Joined Toshiba Thailand Co. as Advertising Manager; successive promotions leading up to post as Chairperson. These are not qualifications to lead the country into a new era of tourism, and certainly not the proper qualification to lead the sports ministry. Just the fact that the two departments are combined shows such a dramatic lack of wisdom, vision, and clarity of mission.

For her to even hint that they are looking at high quality tourists is beyond disingenuous. At a time when they have boosted the Chinese tourism up to 35% of the nation's total, when they are one of the lowest quality tourists to be found anywhere on the planet (in terms of spending per person) she has demonstrated, and continues to demonstrate her complete incompetence, at her job. I believe this swing toward the Chinese tourists will go down in history, as one of the greatest blunders of the Thai tourism industry. They cannot be considered a substitute for western tourists, who spend far more per day, than these tours, who book hotels at perhaps 40% of the rack rate, require massive discounts in restaurants, and do not stimulate the overall economy. Her utter lack of vision when it comes to developing the market is becoming legendary.

As for her sports ministry position. What can one say? She does not have her hands full enough as it is? Or is this just a way of the government telling all the nation's athletes, you just do not matter. You are not significant for us to devote a department to you. We could not find someone with a background in sports. We found a fine arts graduate, who has a small amount of design experience. You just do not matter. Sorry. We had to combine the departments to save some money.

I mostly agree with Jacko, it's all part of the mix - along with temples, beaches, spicy food, ladyboys, shady characters, bad English, etc.- that differentiates Thailand from other destinations, gives it a certain "frisson", if that's the right word, and draws people here. I can never understand people who come to live here, then complain because Thailand is what it is.

So now,is the Tourism Minister going to see to it that all these under privileged girls have an other means of income?.Most (not all) of these young girls come from areas where the corrupt education system cost so much that many of the girls can not afford to go to school after the year 4 or 5 in their village.They then marry to escape the slave type work of rice farming.After one or two children find them self's with a husband spending the family income on alcohol and girls or another "wife".They then leave to be able to support their children.With no education where can they go? This has been the Thailand drama for many ,many, years .So Miss know it all are you going to change the corrupt education system ? Change the accepted idea of "mia noi? Apply laws that gives the equal rights to the wives in court? no,as you just going to mouth off about what you know less about then 90% of the farangs living here.

The tag, "Brothel of the World" for Thailand which appeared some years back in a foreign publication really upset a lot of the Thai upper class, "good people"..........as you'd expect.

Just how far this mob go in shutting down the street level farang girlie bars remains to be seen. The desire's there but probably not the will or the way.

Of course, we all know it will not disappear, regardless of how misguided this current tourism minister is. She will be gone soon enough, and for some of us that cannot happen fast enough. Her background was completely, and utterly inappropriate for the portfolio position of tourism and sports minister. She could not possibly be more out of her element. As usual, with the little man, she was not picked for her talent in the tourism area. No merit in his administration is ever considered. Her studies and experience are as follows:

Fine Arts, Wellesley College, US; degree in Architecture, Rhode Island School of Design, US. Former Assistant to Project Manager, MahBoonKrong Center Co., for the interior design of the largest shopping complex in Bangkok. Joined Toshiba Thailand Co. as Advertising Manager; successive promotions leading up to post as Chairperson. These are not qualifications to lead the country into a new era of tourism, and certainly not the proper qualification to lead the sports ministry. Just the fact that the two departments are combined shows such a dramatic lack of wisdom, vision, and clarity of mission.

For her to even hint that they are looking at high quality tourists is beyond disingenuous. At a time when they have boosted the Chinese tourism up to 35% of the nation's total, when they are one of the lowest quality tourists to be found anywhere on the planet (in terms of spending per person) she has demonstrated, and continues to demonstrate her complete incompetence, at her job. I believe this swing toward the Chinese tourists will go down in history, as one of the greatest blunders of the Thai tourism industry. They cannot be considered a substitute for western tourists, who spend far more per day, than these tours, who book hotels at perhaps 40% of the rack rate, require massive discounts in restaurants, and do not stimulate the overall economy. Her utter lack of vision when it comes to developing the market is becoming legendary.

As for her sports ministry position. What can one say? She does not have her hands full enough as it is? Or is this just a way of the government telling all the nation's athletes, you just do not matter. You are not significant for us to devote a department to you. We could not find someone with a background in sports. We found a fine arts graduate, who has a small amount of design experience. You just do not matter. Sorry. We had to combine the departments to save some money.

She went to RISD? The Rhode Island School of Design? Being a Rhode Island native I am surprised that she found her way to that little place. It is an interesting institution and I guess if one were in the North East USA and interested in architecture it is understandable.

Thailand's sex industry (whether you deem it a problem or not), like most problems in the country are a by product of the biggest issue Thailand faces - corruption! Prostitution is illegal, it only proliferates where corruption allows.

Most of the prostitution aimed at tourists is done so legally, through the ubiquitous "barfine". The illegal services aimed at tourists, such as street soliciting and "brothels" are regularly raided and always have been.

when this closes down I'll believe it

Lucifers is a disco. No sex there.

Why would they? This is about the sex industry aimed at tourists, and the image Thailand has a sex tourist destination, as it has emanated from the Minister of Tourism.

Correct. If the current government shut down all the places that cater to Thais,

there would be a revolution tomorrow. So the government will close down

places that are the face of farang prostitution, such as Nana, and meanwhile

all the Thai men can continue to boink underage Laos girls in the endless

karaoke bars that dot Thailand. The fact that Thai men represent 90 % of

Thai prostitute customers will not matter a whit to the moronic tourism

minister, as face will be saved for Thailand. And the relentless exploitation

of Laos / Burma girls will continue quietly.....

Foreigners often get a bad name for going to Thailand and being labeled as sex tourists, but the Thai official in the article says the industry caters mostly to Thai men.

Funnily enough there are more Thais in Thailand than tourists, so it's hardly surprising! Prostitution services for locals exist in every country in the world. But not many countries are perceived as a "sex tourist" destination, like Thailand.

Prostitution is the use of your body to get money. Does not mean sex only. Instead of using their brain like most of us do. Foreign teachers use their "white hairy skin" to get a job. Even though most of them are not academically qualify. This is a form of prostitution.

Prostitution is the use of your body to get money. Does not mean sex only. Instead of using their brain like most of us do. Foreign teachers use their "white hairy skin" to get a job. Even though most of them are not academically qualify. This is a form of prostitution.

No. No it isn't.