Is "Sanuk" on its way out?

candels

Sanuk used to be the idea that everything you did should be done with fun, and should be fun.

I was here about 7 or 10 years ago and that was actually a thing. Everywhere I went, out to dinner or meeting people, everything had to be sanuk and people were criticized / appreciated for being sanuk / acting not-sanuk.

Once I was going to put a British CD in my Thai friend's car to play and she was like "Is it sanuk?" I said it wasn't but it was pretty. She didn't even want to hear it if it wasn't sanuk. Made no sense to her. This seemed to be the general culture among the people I met. And I read about "sanuk" as being this way, too, at the time.

However, this time back in Thailand I see ZERO sanuk. I've met quite a few friends, and they don't even know what doing things for fun is, it seems. I say, for fun, but it doesn't even seem to register. I haven't even heard anyone say the word sanuk, and actually, since going out to public spots and drinking spots, I haven't really seen Thai people having sanuk that much.

So question for the experienced Thai expats over the last 10 or more years, is "sanuk" on its way out in Thailand?

Edited by candels

Ah, cringed but expected the copout "you're older" comments. My friends then were from late teenagers to 40 or so. Same now. Also, not just my friends, but people I see out.

A few comments saying it has "left the building". It's too bad imo. It was something that was unique to here, and while it was a bit tough for a foreigner to learn (or even accept it), after getting it, it was valuable and it was "fun"

No it's still there.

But you're probably seeing it through tinted glasses from your last time and the way you try to describe 'sanuk' doesn't make much sense anyway. If you don't even hear the word now, you're not trying very hard. Times change, trends change. But 'sanuk' is still there if you're looking for it.

Ah, cringed but expected the copout "you're older" comments. My friends then were from late teenagers to 40 or so. Same now. Also, not just my friends, but people I see out.

A few comments saying it has "left the building". It's too bad imo. It was something that was unique to here, and while it was a bit tough for a foreigner to learn (or even accept it), after getting it, it was valuable and it was "fun"

But it was an illusion with a high price: all that fun meant lack of taking anything seriously that should have been, hence where we are now.

If you want lawless, don't complain about road safety. That's not aimed at you, OP, but as a general point, like if they scrape you off the tarmac after some accident and sow your head back on the wrong way round you'll wish they were a little less obsessed with everything being fun when they should have been knuckling down in medical school. Instead, the hard work wasn't fun so it was just easier to buy the doctor certificate.

Of course, it wouldn't have been fun to ensure criminals weren't entering the country or that condos hadn't got faulty wiring.

It's a nice idea that there could be a place where everything is fun, but it was never realistic. I said it was genius and it was: they even had some of the rest of the world fooled for a while. Barely anyone calls it the Land Of Smiles now though.

Whilst I'm not saying a mess of wiring is because of sanuk, I am saying that growing up a bit will help them get their shit together.

Anyway, sanuk in Thailand at times was like politically correct in the West: do it or be ostracized. Now here's a bucket of Songkran water over your head whether you like it or not, because "sanuk".

Once I was going to put a British CD in my Thai friend's car to play and she was like "Is it sanuk?" I said it wasn't but it was pretty. She didn't even want to hear it if it wasn't sanuk.

I think this is cute. It could be paraphrased "it's not that Smiths stuff, is it?"

Sanuk has left the building long ago...., land of (fake) smiles is getting bitter, violent and dangerous if you read the Thai news....

OP, stay away from bitter expats, and you'll still find plenty of sanuk and real smiles.

I agree with the OP, but I think sanuk is not dead, it is only sleeping, these are more seious times, also the affect of smart phones, people do not interact as much, strangers used to talk, and laugh on public transpot and in cafes, now they stare at their mobile.

Everything should be sanuk to me was reflected in the reality that many people work long hours seven days a week so their interaction with customers was also a social time, time to make a joke, be a little silly. It still happens, you want sanuk? be sanuk.

I can only speak for my work place. Sanuk is the most important rule of all. You ask someone to do something. If it is not sanuk, you come back a few days later and ask how it went, answer will be "Sorry I forget", or "Ohhh I think you said for next month" or something similar. That's when you know it will never be done....

Life became more serious for the Thais over the past decade.

Good. It's just what was needed. Grown adults demanding everything to be fun was nothing but a nation of dispossessed victims.

Ah yes. Those "grown adults" seeking fun. The same grown adults who are besides themselves if they have to go for a day or two with the bars closed.

Choosing to enjoy life is not the same thing as wanting everything to be fun. Unfortunate that some farang feel they are "grown adults" because they're feeling miserable and feel the need to share that misery with everyone else.

mean-old-lady.jpg A real grown adult. "Life is nasty, Get used to it,"

Sanuk, like beauty, is in the eye or mind of the beholder. Still plenty of it about. It's what many foreigners are looking for when they come here, but they expect it to be served to them. You have to bring some of it with you or else you're the one who's killing it for everyone.

Sanuk used to be the idea that everything you did should be done with fun, and should be fun.

Not really. It means having fun, but not that everything is fun or needs to be fun. Thais have always been able to understand there's a time for sanuk and a time for other things. I have seen that change.

Edited by Suradit69

Sanuk has left the building long ago...., land of (fake) smiles is getting bitter, violent and dangerous if you read the Thai news....

"land of (fake) smiles"

I doubt you really understand Thai smiles. A smile is not simply a mindless indication of happiness as some farang assume ... although even farang have smiles that indicate something other than joy.

1. Yim yaw

This smile can be used in two ways: Firstly, when teasing someone, and secondly when wanting to express the words “I told you so”, without actually having to be so harsh.

2. Yim cheun chom

This smile is a controlled yet beautiful smile that expresses the words, “I admire you”, or, I’m proud of you”.

3. Yim mai awk

This is the smile used when concealing difficult emotion. It’s the “I’m trying my best to smile but I’m struggling” smile. This might be used when someone is brokenhearted or physically hurt.

4. Yim mee lessanai

This is a devious smile that masks bad intent. If you really upset your Thai partner, you should probably worry if you get this smile in return.

5. Yim chuead chuean

Similar to Yim mer lessanai, but more the “Mwhahaha” bad guy smile, this would be used by a person who has gotten the upper hand over someone.

6. Yim dor dhaan

This smile indicates that you disagree, but will entertain the idea or go along with the action regardless. It’s the “You can go ahead, but you know I disagree and that your idea isn’t a good one” smile.

7. Yim sao

This is the standard smile of sadness, one that indicates someone really isn’t happy.

8. Yim haeng

This is the dry smile, also known as the “I know I owe you the money but I don’t have it” smile.

9. Yim suu suu!

This is the smile of encouragement, the “You/I can do it” smile.

10. Yim yoh-yae

This smile is the Thai equivalent to suggesting that it’s not worth getting upset over something that seems pretty bad, but has happened and can’t be changed.In essence, it’s the “no point in crying over spilt milk” smile.

11. Yim thang nam daa

This smile must be interpreted in context, as it can mean two different things. On one hand it can mean “I’m so happy I’m crying inside”, and on the other, given different circumstances, “I’m so sad inside, but I’m still smiling”.

12. Fuoon Yim

This is the “mai jing jai” (literally translated as ‘not real heart’) smile. It’s a stiff and somewhat fake smile. For example, “I should laugh at the joke, but it’s not funny, so I’ll do this smile instead and help you move on”.

13. Yim taak thaai

This is the smile of convenience, a polite smile that enables you to acknowledge someone you don’t know that well, or someone you aren’t going to get into a long conversation with. It’s pretty much the most common smile you’ll get when out and about in Thailand.

http://www.thethailandlife.com/whats-behind-a-thai-smile

When I first came here a friend said 'I wish they'd just get on with it instead of all the having to prat about with everything before you get served anywhere'. He's a fun guy and it didn't take me long to find out what he was talking about. I was also advised to aim for getting just one thing done a day. Anything more is too damned difficult with all this 'sanuk' nonsense.

I moved here in 2006. A walk down Soi 6 was ALWAYS sanuk. Calls of "Handsome man!" were floating constantly through the air.

I walk down the same road a year ago. The girls are all glued to their phones and the aggressiveness of the ladyboys ensured I would NEVER go back again.

My vote goes with the sanuk fading. Thailand certainly has change in many ways over the years and under the regime in power. Business boomed in the past decade and tech appeared in force into the lives of so many Thais. Money is more important that ever for what people see as normal. The western world of food has become more dominant in Thai lives as well. Thais travel abroad much more and know more about the world and people. Foreigners are nothing strange to Thais these days. Things are absolutely different. And of course as someone mentioned some of us are a lot older so that doesn't help either.

"land of (fake) smiles"

I doubt you really understand Thai smiles. A smile is not simply a mindless indication of happiness as some farang assume ... although even farang have smiles that indicate something other than joy.

1. Yim yaw

This smile can be used in two ways: Firstly, when teasing someone, and secondly when wanting to express the words I told you so, without actually having to be so harsh.

2. Yim cheun chom

This smile is a controlled yet beautiful smile that expresses the words, I admire you, or, Im proud of you.

3. Yim mai awk

This is the smile used when concealing difficult emotion. Its the Im trying my best to smile but Im struggling smile. This might be used when someone is brokenhearted or physically hurt.

4. Yim mee lessanai

This is a devious smile that masks bad intent. If you really upset your Thai partner, you should probably worry if you get this smile in return.

5. Yim chuead chuean

Similar to Yim mer lessanai, but more the Mwhahaha bad guy smile, this would be used by a person who has gotten the upper hand over someone.

6. Yim dor dhaan

This smile indicates that you disagree, but will entertain the idea or go along with the action regardless. Its the You can go ahead, but you know I disagree and that your idea isnt a good one smile.

7. Yim sao

This is the standard smile of sadness, one that indicates someone really isnt happy.

8. Yim haeng

This is the dry smile, also known as the I know I owe you the money but I dont have it smile.

9. Yim suu suu!

This is the smile of encouragement, the You/I can do it smile.

10. Yim yoh-yae

This smile is the Thai equivalent to suggesting that its not worth getting upset over something that seems pretty bad, but has happened and cant be changed.In essence, its the no point in crying over spilt milk smile.

11. Yim thang nam daa

This smile must be interpreted in context, as it can mean two different things. On one hand it can mean Im so happy Im crying inside, and on the other, given different circumstances, Im so sad inside, but Im still smiling.

12. Fuoon Yim

This is the mai jing jai (literally translated as not real heart) smile. Its a stiff and somewhat fake smile. For example, I should laugh at the joke, but its not funny, so Ill do this smile instead and help you move on.

13. Yim taak thaai

This is the smile of convenience, a polite smile that enables you to acknowledge someone you dont know that well, or someone you arent going to get into a long conversation with. Its pretty much the most common smile youll get when out and about in Thailand.

http://www.thethailandlife.com/whats-behind-a-thai-smile

That's precisely the point, smiles are fake , you forgot the I don't give a fuuck about you smile, the I'm going to overcharge you smile,hope you don't know the real price smile, I'm speaking about you rudely because I think youre a buffalo too stupid to understand Thai language smile and many many others.... Maybe you care for this charade... Whatever floats your boat ... Fake politeness doesn't entertain me personally but if that's the way they like it then just (fake) smile right back at em... :)