Is "Sanuk" on its way out?

candels

Ah yes. Those "grown adults" seeking fun. The same grown adults who are besides themselves if they have to go for a day or two with the bars closed.

Choosing to enjoy life is not the same thing as wanting everything to be fun. Unfortunate that some farang feel they are "grown adults" because they're feeling miserable and feel the need to share that misery with everyone else.

mean-old-lady.jpg A real grown adult. "Life is nasty, Get used to it,"

Yup, nasty, old and bitter must be YOU, as your previous posts on this forum you said you had to stop driving because you are too old, and your many posts in the health forum about your old , tired, failing eyes. Sad indeed "Suradit69"

While not wholly absent, it does appear that the ideas of "sanuk," "jai yen yen," "mai bpen rai," et al, are not part of the current definition of "Thainess." But wait and see. Maybe someone will notice and they'll be added back at some point.

Sanuk has left the building long ago...., land of (fake) smiles is getting bitter, violent and dangerous if you read the Thai news....

OP, stay away from bitter expats, and you'll still find plenty of sanuk and real smiles.

Couldn't agree more. The ones who lost the ability to look beyond the daily irritating things are to be avoided, here as well as back home.

Ah, cringed but expected the copout "you're older" comments. My friends then were from late teenagers to 40 or so. Same now. Also, not just my friends, but people I see out.

A few comments saying it has "left the building". It's too bad imo. It was something that was unique to here, and while it was a bit tough for a foreigner to learn (or even accept it), after getting it, it was valuable and it was "fun"

" It was something that was unique to here"So Thailand was the only place that had sanuk is a big statement.Other countries just call it another name.A lot of people try to suggest that Thailand is different than other countries.I say it is the same,sometimes better,sometimes worse.It has been thrust into the modern world pretty quickly and the "culture" is struggling to cope.

No it's still there.

But you're probably seeing it through tinted glasses from your last time and the way you try to describe 'sanuk' doesn't make much sense anyway. If you don't even hear the word now, you're not trying very hard. Times change, trends change. But 'sanuk' is still there if you're looking for it.

Sanuk has a different meaning for everybody.Thais don't own sanuk.

While not wholly absent, it does appear that the ideas of "sanuk," "jai yen yen," "mai bpen rai," et al, are not part of the current definition of "Thainess." But wait and see. Maybe someone will notice and they'll be added back at some point.

I don't think so.The world in general is becoming a sad place.At least half the population are doing it hard and are not happy.The other 49% are struggling to hang onto what they got and are not happy.The 1% are robbing us all blind in collusion with pollies.They think they are happy but i don't want that type of happiness.

Sanuk has left the building long ago...., land of (fake) smiles is getting bitter, violent and dangerous if you read the Thai news....

Unless your "sanuk" consists of watching the weeds grow & feeding the chickens up in Isaan somewhere, and throwing buckets of cold water at motorbike drivers during Songkran once a year, this is exactly right. 'Left without leaving a forwarding address, and even the t-shirt is now old & faded.

Once I was going to put a British CD in my Thai friend's car to play and she was like "Is it sanuk?" I said it wasn't but it was pretty. She didn't even want to hear it if it wasn't sanuk.

I think this is cute. It could be paraphrased "it's not that Smiths stuff, is it?"

I always smile when I play the Smiths! Wry stuff!

Once I was going to put a British CD in my Thai friend's car to play and she was like "Is it sanuk?" I said it wasn't but it was pretty. She didn't even want to hear it if it wasn't sanuk.

I think this is cute. It could be paraphrased "it's not that Smiths stuff, is it?"

Life became more serious for the Thais over the past decade.

Good. It's just what was needed. Grown adults demanding everything to be fun was nothing but a nation of dispossessed victims.

Ah yes. Those "grown adults" seeking fun. The same grown adults who are besides themselves if they have to go for a day or two with the bars closed.

Choosing to enjoy life is not the same thing as wanting everything to be fun. Unfortunate that some farang feel they are "grown adults" because they're feeling miserable and feel the need to share that misery with everyone else.

mean-old-lady.jpg A real grown adult. "Life is nasty, Get used to it,"

[...]

Sanuk, like beauty, is in the eye or mind of the beholder. Still plenty of it about. It's what many foreigners are looking for when they come here, but they expect it to be served to them. You have to bring some of it with you or else you're the one who's killing it for everyone.

[...]

It means having fun, but not that everything is fun or needs to be fun. Thais have always been able to understand there's a time for sanuk and a time for other things. I have seen that change.

"land of (fake) smiles"

I doubt you really understand Thai smiles. A smile is not simply a mindless indication of happiness as some farang assume ... although even farang have smiles that indicate something other than joy.

1. Yim yaw

This smile can be used in two ways: Firstly, when teasing someone, and secondly when wanting to express the words “I told you so”, without actually having to be so harsh.

2. Yim cheun chom

This smile is a controlled yet beautiful smile that expresses the words, “I admire you”, or, I’m proud of you”.

3. Yim mai awk

This is the smile used when concealing difficult emotion. It’s the “I’m trying my best to smile but I’m struggling” smile. This might be used when someone is brokenhearted or physically hurt.

4. Yim mee lessanai

This is a devious smile that masks bad intent. If you really upset your Thai partner, you should probably worry if you get this smile in return.

5. Yim chuead chuean

Similar to Yim mer lessanai, but more the “Mwhahaha” bad guy smile, this would be used by a person who has gotten the upper hand over someone.

6. Yim dor dhaan

This smile indicates that you disagree, but will entertain the idea or go along with the action regardless. It’s the “You can go ahead, but you know I disagree and that your idea isn’t a good one” smile.

7. Yim sao

This is the standard smile of sadness, one that indicates someone really isn’t happy.

8. Yim haeng

This is the dry smile, also known as the “I know I owe you the money but I don’t have it” smile.

9. Yim suu suu!

This is the smile of encouragement, the “You/I can do it” smile.

10. Yim yoh-yae

This smile is the Thai equivalent to suggesting that it’s not worth getting upset over something that seems pretty bad, but has happened and can’t be changed.In essence, it’s the “no point in crying over spilt milk” smile.

11. Yim thang nam daa

This smile must be interpreted in context, as it can mean two different things. On one hand it can mean “I’m so happy I’m crying inside”, and on the other, given different circumstances, “I’m so sad inside, but I’m still smiling”.

12. Fuoon Yim

This is the “mai jing jai” (literally translated as ‘not real heart’) smile. It’s a stiff and somewhat fake smile. For example, “I should laugh at the joke, but it’s not funny, so I’ll do this smile instead and help you move on”.

13. Yim taak thaai

This is the smile of convenience, a polite smile that enables you to acknowledge someone you don’t know that well, or someone you aren’t going to get into a long conversation with. It’s pretty much the most common smile you’ll get when out and about in Thailand.

http://www.thethailandlife.com/whats-behind-a-thai-smile

Suradit69, I like what you are doing in this thread (and across the forum). It's good there's someone like you to remind us that sanuk is more subtle and complicated than mere grown adults having fun. Your response to my own point unfortunately would be you sinking to a similar level in portraying a simplistic caricature to suit your needs. Obviously the truth lies somewhere in the middle of these positions.

Another point is that the lowest common denominator, such as 'newsworthy' stupid or inhumane behaviour, has a huge influence on perception because it is telling and reflective of a culture, albeit that culture's worst side. Where is the dignity of a culture displaying the kind of disconnect in how you rightly portray a more complex and civilized society and the one seen and heard in the news and on the streets?

Perhaps the nice people of Thailand need to stand up more.

Been coming to Thailand since 1971. Yeah I'm one of those. Most times I'd rather interact with a Thai than the lions share of farangs.

I think sanuke is waning for many reasons. Bottom line though, the way prices of everything is going up I'm really hard pressed to figure how they make ends meet. Then they see the "two week millionaires" splashing cash around or other guys building houses for their girl up in Issan, throw in a truck and a scooter for good measure.

Well it's gotta make them think, "What the f$$k are we doing wrong."

Having said that, "Some 62 percent of Americans, according to the survey, have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts – and another 21 percent don’t even have savings accounts!"

http://www.collapse.news/2016-02-11-nearly-two-thirds-of-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-as-leftist-policies-bankrupt-nation.html

There are several other sources that report similar statistics. When I left the US and retired here about 2.5 years ago, American sanuke was definitely on the down low. Patients weren't coming into the office for their physicals because they didn't want to pay their $20.00 co-pay! I started waiving it, at least for physicals.

I have or try to have sanuke everyday. And I think I'm about a solid 85% successful.

I found the compilation of the description of the different smiles fascinating. Really.

However never forget that the "real smile" shines through the eyes from the heart. Most people recognize that even though they might not have seen it or some time. And the great thing is you get the very same smile back.

You can't fake it, unless you're a psychopath. And approximately 1% of the population are, although I believe it's much higher.

http://www.alternet.org/culture/10-careers-most-psychopaths

Some are too "broken" or twisted to see it, wether it be Thais or farangs. Sadly, I think, that number is growing geometrically.

It was nice to see so many responses. Obviously there will be different responses based on experience (ie people who actually lived in Thailand 10 years ago [and among Thais] and those who didn't, as well as ie people who became accustomed to/accepted Thai culture and those who are still totally Western and haven't really entered into Thai culture).

Some people took the PC "Sanuk" is in the eye of the beholder, but I think for those who have really experienced what I was talking about, this shows they haven't seen it. Sanuk isn't the same as Western "fun". It's more like people in the West who "have manners" VS those who don't, except instead of being unimposing, you have to be jolly and upbeat and generally make things fun for others around you.

Yes, lots of Sanuk is fake ("fake smiles" was raised), but for one thing it doesn't really matter, because even if lots of it is fake, the atmosphere and your time wherever you go is more or less fun (although you are also forced to be fun when you'd rather not be).

Note: Why do so many people insist that adults cannot be fun? Do you really think adults should always be serious and never have fun, and that people should not mix socially across ages?

REPLIES TO MOST OF YOU:

You have just gotten older.

Or he has stopped hanging out with university students.

My advice is revert to your old habits.

Thanks. I still have university friends and younger friends.

The habits in this question are mostly just the habit of going out and being enjoyable with people, or even spending time with people on the floor of someone's room, and I still do those.

Thanks. I think this might be a part. Before most Thais did not see any reason to learn about politics. There was crime, but there was also I think strong impetus to behave when caught, or something like that?

Life became more serious for the Thais over the past decade.

Good. It's just what was needed. Grown adults demanding everything to be fun was nothing but a nation of dispossessed victims.

Thanks. I was also a bit frustrated with the way Thais act for a while. However, if I wanted serious people who didn't have fun much, I can go to any country in the West, including my own.

There seems to be a lot of harping about "adults should be serious" but this is more of a cultural prejudice, I think, than what they're arguing against ie that adults can be how they want whether "serious" or "not serious". Also, I'm pretty sure people are able to both be serious and also be fun people (although you might have been referring to the fact that Thais in general are not very capable of serious tasks -- with lots of exceptions -- or so it seems to those coming from the West)?

No it's still there.

But you're probably seeing it through tinted glasses from your last time and the way you try to describe 'sanuk' doesn't make much sense anyway. If you don't even hear the word now, you're not trying very hard. Times change, trends change. But 'sanuk' is still there if you're looking for it.

Thanks. Before though, there was no need to look for it. It was everywhere and you could not avoid it. Times change, yes, but the question was specific.

It's a nice idea that there could be a place where everything is fun, but it was never realistic. I said it was genius and it was: they even had some of the rest of the world fooled for a while. Barely anyone calls it the Land Of Smiles now though.
Whilst I'm not saying a mess of wiring is because of sanuk, I am saying that growing up a bit will help them get their shit together.
Anyway, sanuk in Thailand at times was like politically correct in the West: do it or be ostracized. Now here's a bucket of Songkran water over your head whether you like it or not, because "sanuk".

Thanks. Personally, I enjoyed them better when there was more fun in their lives. I think they might have been happier, too. Now they seem to have more new cars and phones, and maybe they have more experts and richer national economy, and have less fun with each other.

Yes, that was how it was. I went to a similar festival in Cambodia where they throw powder. People would scowl at you if they didn't like it. (Since then, Cambodia's festival has been cancelled).

No it's still there.

Thanks. Before though, there was no need to look for it. It was everywhere and you could not avoid it. Times change, yes, but the question was specific.

It's a nice idea that there could be a place where everything is fun, but it was never realistic. I said it was genius and it was: they even had some of the rest of the world fooled for a while. Barely anyone calls it the Land Of Smiles now though.
Whilst I'm not saying a mess of wiring is because of sanuk, I am saying that growing up a bit will help them get their shit together.
Anyway, sanuk in Thailand at times was like politically correct in the West: do it or be ostracized. Now here's a bucket of Songkran water over your head whether you like it or not, because "sanuk".

Thanks. Personally, I enjoyed them better when there was more fun in their lives. I think they might have been happier, too. Now they seem to have more new cars and phones, and maybe they have more experts and richer national economy, and have less fun with each other.

Yes, that was how it was. I went to a similar festival in Cambodia where they throw powder. People would scowl at you if they didn't like it. (Since then, Cambodia's festival has been cancelled).

OP, stay away from bitter expats, and you'll still find plenty of sanuk and real smiles.

Thanks.

I agree with the OP, but I think sanuk is not dead, it is only sleeping, these are more seious times, also the affect of smart phones, people do not interact as much, strangers used to talk, and laugh on public transpot and in cafes, now they stare at their mobile.

Everything should be sanuk to me was reflected in the reality that many people work long hours seven days a week so their interaction with customers was also a social time, time to make a joke, be a little silly. It still happens, you want sanuk? be sanuk.

Thanks. I think you are accurate there: cell phones, internet, lots more TVs probably has a large role in making people less connected, spend time with each other (undistracted for more than 5 minutes and even when no one else is talking for 1 minute).

Yes, that's true. Thai's don't seem to work much during their 8-hour shift, but they were fun and that was a benefit. Now, I still don't see them working much, although they're less fun (maybe -- I could still be wrong about this)

They seem to be more or less the same as when I arrived 8 years ago - still love a laugh and a bit of fun

No complaints here

Thanks.

If it isn't Sanuk, Thai's won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

The late Spalding Gray...

Thanks. I think it's true that they seek fun things. I have quite a few Thai friends and they like to go out to happening places. However, maybe it's more the impetus / cultural rule to be fun all the time (and provide fun for others)?

I can only speak for my work place. Sanuk is the most important rule of all. You ask someone to do something. If it is not sanuk, you come back a few days later and ask how it went, answer will be "Sorry I forget", or "Ohhh I think you said for next month" or something similar. That's when you know it will never be done....

Thanks. I think my response 3 responses up applies to this.

Sanuk, like beauty, is in the eye or mind of the beholder. Still plenty of it about. It's what many foreigners are looking for when they come here, but they expect it to be served to them. You have to bring some of it with you or else you're the one who's killing it for everyone.

Not really. It means having fun, but not that everything is fun or needs to be fun. Thais have always been able to understand there's a time for sanuk and a time for other things. I have seen that change.

Thanks. I think this belies inexperience with Thai sanuk -- it didn't to me seem to be "a personal thing" but rather a cultural rule / norm.

Yes, sounds like a Western idea of things, but maybe this is not the only possible way?

"land of (fake) smiles"

I doubt you really understand Thai smiles. A smile is not simply a mindless indication of happiness as some farang assume ... although even farang have smiles that indicate something other than joy.

Thanks. Comment of "fake smiles" above.

When I first came here a friend said 'I wish they'd just get on with it instead of all the having to prat about with everything before you get served anywhere'. He's a fun guy and it didn't take me long to find out what he was talking about. I was also advised to aim for getting just one thing done a day. Anything more is too damned difficult with all this 'sanuk' nonsense.

Thanks. My experience is the same. It is more difficult to do things or get things in Thailand, possibly, than in the West. The pace and experience is different.

I moved here in 2006. A walk down Soi 6 was ALWAYS sanuk. Calls of "Handsome man!" were floating constantly through the air.

I walk down the same road a year ago. The girls are all glued to their phones and the aggressiveness of the ladyboys ensured I would NEVER go back again.

Thanks. This is a lot like the impression I meant! It was also very likely people sitting near you in a public food place would talk to you, or you'd end up talking to them, I think?

Sanuk is still very much part & principle of isaan lifestyle..but it all depends on the crowd one knows & hangs out with..

Thanks. I've considered Isaan and heard it is still less "developed" than elsewhere.

My vote goes with the sanuk fading. Thailand certainly has change in many ways over the years and under the regime in power. Business boomed in the past decade and tech appeared in force into the lives of so many Thais. Money is more important that ever for what people see as normal. The western world of food has become more dominant in Thai lives as well. Thais travel abroad much more and know more about the world and people. Foreigners are nothing strange to Thais these days. Things are absolutely different. And of course as someone mentioned some of us are a lot older so that doesn't help either.

Thanks. I think this is accurate. Have a nice new car, have a nice new apartment seem to be driving forces in a huge amount (almost all?) of the population now, even in small cities. Whereas before people said the word "hi so" but they didn't really consider it, it sort of seemed / seems to me.

That's precisely the point, smiles are fake , you forgot the I don't give a fuuck about you smile, the I'm going to overcharge you smile,hope you don't know the real price smile, I'm speaking about you rudely because I think youre a buffalo too stupid to understand Thai language smile and many many others.... Maybe you care for this charade... Whatever floats your boat ... Fake politeness doesn't entertain me personally but if that's the way they like it then just (fake) smile right back at em... smile.png

Thanks. My comment on "fake smiles" above.

It's always sanook when the other person's wallet opens.. biggrin.png

Thanks. I get the impression that while any exciting event, like opening a wallet, is exciting, even opening a wallet is not as exciting now?

Thanks. I also get the feeling the other cultural values are going as well. People don't seem to register "jai yen yen" the same. People are maybe more "individualistic" and decidedly feel how they want to feel, or care less about being socially smooth except where they would be outside the lines.

I don't think cultural values, once forgotten, can return. For example, Westerners have no way of appreciating or getting into their heads the old Thai values. Most of the way Thais act / used to act seemed anathema to Westerners, and its only after a while of happy integration they can sort of get them. Thais now, if they don't carry those values, will probably also not be able to see a point for doing things that way. Also, with phones, internet, and products, as well as movies, what's the point?

Ask the 8 people working at 7-11 at 4am with the music blasting and stinky pork sticks sitting on the floor for them to share if are having sanook.

Thanks. I also get a pretty good impression from 7-11 staff nowadays.

" It was something that was unique to here"So Thailand was the only place that had sanuk is a big statement.Other countries just call it another name.A lot of people try to suggest that Thailand is different than other countries.I say it is the same,sometimes better,sometimes worse.It has been thrust into the modern world pretty quickly and the "culture" is struggling to cope.

Thanks. Yes, Thailand was the only place in the world with "sanuk". It is quite distinct from what other countries (I've lived in 3 or 4) call "fun".

Sanuk has a different meaning for everybody.Thais don't own sanuk.

Thanks. Comment on "your own sanuk" above?

Suradit69, I like what you are doing in this thread (and across the forum). It's good there's someone like you to remind us that sanuk is more subtle and complicated than mere grown adults having fun. Your response to my own point unfortunately would be you sinking to a similar level in portraying a simplistic caricature to suit your needs. Obviously the truth lies somewhere in the middle of these positions.

Another point is that the lowest common denominator, such as 'newsworthy' stupid or inhumane behaviour, has a huge influence on perception because it is telling and reflective of a culture, albeit that culture's worst side. Where is the dignity of a culture displaying the kind of disconnect in how you rightly portray a more complex and civilized society and the one seen and heard in the news and on the streets?

Perhaps the nice people of Thailand need to stand up more.

Thanks. Yes, I think this is just a normal Western bias given our ideas about "adult VS child". It's like "adults can't read comics" although in Japan they all do.

Been coming to Thailand since 1971. Yeah I'm one of those. Most times I'd rather interact with a Thai than the lions share of farangs.

I think sanuke is waning for many reasons. Bottom line though, the way prices of everything is going up I'm really hard pressed to figure how they make ends meet. Then they see the "two week millionaires" splashing cash around or other guys building houses for their girl up in Issan, throw in a truck and a scooter for good measure.

Having said that, "Some 62 percent of Americans, according to the survey, have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts – and another 21 percent don’t even have savings accounts!"

http://www.collapse.news/2016-02-11-nearly-two-thirds-of-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-as-leftist-policies-bankrupt-nation.html

There are several other sources that report similar statistics. When I left the US and retired here about 2.5 years ago, American sanuke was definitely on the down low. Patients weren't coming into the office for their physicals because they didn't want to pay their $20.00 co-pay! I started waiving it, at least for physicals.

I have or try to have sanuke everyday. And I think I'm about a solid 85% successful.

I found the compilation of the description of the different smiles fascinating. Really.

However never forget that the "real smile" shines through the eyes from the heart. Most people recognize that even though they might not have seen it or some time. And the great thing is you get the very same smile back.

You can't fake it, unless you're a psychopath. And approximately 1% of the population are, although I believe it's much higher.

Some are too "broken" or twisted to see it, wether it be Thais or farangs. Sadly, I think, that number is growing geometrically.

Thanks. 1971! Man I'd like to hear some of your stories.

I think your comment on money is accurate. Maybe the old pressures (sanuk, social smoothness) are not there, but instead there are new pressures -- to have a nice vehicle, to live in a nice neighborhood, to eat at a fancy restaurant -- which weren't really pressures per se before, but were part of the wider society.

Do you think that the "fake smiles" when everyone is endeavoring to be fun for others and create a lively atmosphere contributes to more "real smiles"?

Thanks. 1971! Man I'd like to hear some of your stories.

I think your comment on money is accurate. Maybe the old pressures (sanuk, social smoothness) are not there, but instead there are new pressures -- to have a nice vehicle, to live in a nice neighborhood, to eat at a fancy restaurant -- which weren't really pressures per se before, but were part of the wider society.

Do you think that the "fake smiles" when everyone is endeavoring to be fun for others and create a lively atmosphere contributes to more "real smiles"?

I don't think you can ever go wrong with a smile. Unless it's a reaction to someone suffering or like I said if it's a psychopath "laying a trap."

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." - Voltaire

Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/voltaire106709.html

I tried to practice like this and always taught students the same

The money factor mentioned above is probably very much a part of it....

Money used to go a lot farther and also things simply cost a lot less,just a decade ago things that were 10thb are now 30th

Farangs didn't cause these problems for Thai people but they certainly don't help matters much, spending more in a month than Thais could hope to earn in a year etc

The cost of life is rising a lot faster than wages for the working class, the gap between rich and poor is always widening and in a culture of people obsessed by image and status it must be painful to work hard all the time and never have enough money left over to pay for anything...

A lot more crimes seem to be happening against farangs, taxi drivers seem more like vultures than before and people are now more aggressive than before to scam tourists (if they think you are one) but contributing factors are tourism is massively down and they still have mafia figures collecting monthly rental from almost everyone ...

Rest assured, this will get worse before he gets better as desperate people borrow more money from loans harks because they can't get it from anywhere else

Hard to have as much Sanuk in these times... For the 95%

I do think there is a global thing happening, thanks to the media and internet, where those who didn't have much before have it rubbed in their face more than ever just how much they don't have or ever will have.

Everyone wants what they can't afford now. Factory workers with $1000 iPhones? Really? Cars they can't afford, jewellery they can't afford, coffee they can't afford and so on. That has to weigh on a lot of them.