do hotels check passports for visa expiry dates?

I am a couple of weeks overstay and have to go and stay in a hotel for a few days before leaving Thailand.

So can anyone tell me if hotels are required to check visa expiry dates in passports of foreigners or is that outside their remit?

(I have a Thai driving licence I could perhaps use instead to check in?)

thx

Some hotels ask for a passport, some don't, they just want a valid photo ID..

• Like 1

Stay at a cheap hotel and you will be fine.

Book into a more expensive one and from my experience they take a copy of my passport.

Actually book into a love hotel. I have never had them ask for ID.

Nice reply but its not my and other experience.

Every hotel (cheap til very expensive) accepts the Thai DL in my experience.

Maybe they don't trust your face. wai2.gif

Sounds like he does not have a Thai drivers license?

I never bother to ask, if they want my passport or Thai drivers license..

The receptionist always ask for a passport at the higher end hotels..

A couple of times, at the lower end hotels, they didn't ask for any ID..

Book into a more expensive one and from my experience they take a copy of my passport.

I always give my Thai DL even when they ask for my passport.

Never a problem.

Most of the time i don't even have my passport with me as it stays in the safe at home.

• Like 1

Never a problem.

Most of the time i don't even have my passport with me as it stays in the safe at home.

I always use my passport when checking into a hotel if they ask for it since I always have it with me. I never venture far from home without it.

IMHO it would be foolish to travel without having it. What if you were asked to present it to an authority and it was locked up in a safe back home. There have been cases reported of people being detained until they presented their passport.

It does not bother me to have it nearby at all times. I have traveled a lot around the world and it never has been far away. Some places I have stayed (including here) I felt safer having it with me than leaving it in a room or whatever. I have been in some countries where if you do not have with you when asked you would certainly be locked up.

• Like 2

Use your Thai driving license, no problem...

Officially not possible, and also in real life quite often not possible. Not enough info there for the hotel to do the compulsory reporting.

Works though, have used mine many times for this......

Quite often I don't get checked if my wife does the booking. She gets govt discount at some hotels.

She hands over her govt ID card on check-in and they don't ask for my ID.

Since we start to book in my Thai Wife Name, She show her Thai ID Card when we come to hotel, And that is.

I have not show my passport the last 2 years this way, all over Thailand we have gone.

But if OP don´t have Thai wife / GF he can´t do this...

Book a condo in Airbnb problem solved.

Edited by genobkk

Little bit worried about this now. Am currently awaiting the ok from Bangkok on my O One Year extension on marriage, and am currently past the stamped date to reapply. Was there on the date and they told me to come back later ...

As I am planning to fly into Chiang Mai next week and will be staying at a higher end Hotel there, now I am wondering what will happen in the Hotel or at the Airport? My stamp (to reapply to Immigration on ...) is past.

I know I'm probably not illegal here, but I seriously wonder if Hotel clerks or airport check in agents have this knowledge?

Any sound advice?

Little bit worried about this now. Am currently awaiting the ok from Bangkok on my O One Year extension on marriage, and am currently past the stamped date to reapply. Was there on the date and they told me to come back later ...

As I am planning to fly into Chiang Mai next week and will be staying at a higher end Hotel there, now I am wondering what will happen in the Hotel or at the Airport? My stamp (to reapply to Immigration on ...) is past.

I know I'm probably not illegal here, but I seriously wonder if Hotel clerks or airport check in agents have this knowledge?

Any sound advice?

You are not on overstay. The under consideration stamp allows you to stay until your application is approved. The report back date is just that it does not mean the under consideration period has ended.

You are not on overstay. The under consideration stamp allows you to stay until your application is approved. The report back date is just that it does not mean the under consideration period has ended.

I know this, and you know this, and some (but not all, I asked this question at my Immigration last Year and got 3 different answers from 3 "competent" officers ...) Immi officers know it, I just can't see any Hotel or Airline Clerk know that, and that's what worries me.

I am also probably not allowed to travel internationally without losing my Extension status ...

I know this, and you know this, and some (but not all, I asked this question at my Immigration last Year and got 3 different answers from 3 "competent" officers ...) Immi officers know it, I just can't see any Hotel or Airline Clerk know that, and that's what worries me.

I am also probably not allowed to travel internationally without losing my Extension status ...

I would guess you will have the approval before your trip. Check with them before making the trip.

The airlines and security only look at the passport photo page for ID purposes.

Hotel likely would not notice or care when you check in. A quick explanation of what the stamp says should be enough.

If you left without a re-entry permit your application would end and you would have to start over again with a new non-o visa.

Flying internationally could, indeed, create complications. For the rest, you are worrying about nothing. The hotel and airline do not care two hoots about your immigration status. The hotel will report that you are staying in there, but would not do immigration's job even if you had a 20-year overstay. You are legally here anyway. If some psychotic hotel employee decided to call the immigration police, you would just explain that you are in the under consideration period, and that would be the end of it.

Can you go with a friend, get them to check in.

I have stayed in hotels where a Thai or foreign friend did all the check in stuff.

You are right. So to get back on topic (my posts above talk about my own experiences) to help the OP because his situation is he's on overstay whereas most of us have absolutely nothing to hide, check-in using someone else's ID/passport (the room must be booked in their name and/or they should be part of the traveling party).

EDIT. Since the OP has a Thai D/L he can just use that so no need to worry.

Better yet, clear up the overstay (more than 90 days and you get blacklisted in any case) and then you won't have to worry.

I know he is on an overstay, hence the advice to get someone else to check-in, if he can. He doesn't need to be anywhere near reception when that happens. Just go to the room after.

Bad idea to use his DL, it has his passport number on it and they may record that - goes to immigration, and maybe someone will cross reference, just maybe. Then screwed.

You do have a point about the DL. As I've mentioned using it is never a problem but then again most of us aren't overstayers so we give it no thought whether we're registered or not but if you're on overstay it's best to avoid any dealings with the authorities.

The best advice I can give to this and any topic is - don't be on overstay. If you are, clear it up now then you can relax about everyday little things like hotel check-ins. Traveling while on overstay, except to a border crossing is not a good idea.

It is true that some (many) hotels ask for passports (especially ones that are used to receiving foreign guests). This doesn't mean you can't present a DL instead though. I've been asked for a passport but presented my DL many times. Many [most?] hotels nationwide except resorts located in rural areas request photo ID at check-in but it doesn't necessarily have to be a passport.

I have never had a problem presenting my Thai DL from cheap to expensive hotels with only one exception in all these years back in 2014. In some touristy areas where I have never and would never stay, they may be strict on passports [Khao San road is one such example] but it also happens to be the case that on Khao San road, some hotels don't accept Thai guests! Hence why they are more used to dealing with passports anyway.

I know for a fact they do, a couple weeks ago in Bangkok I mistakenly gave them my expired passport that I carry for Pspt Checks by Police. They called up to the room and asked where my Thai Visa was, and all my Visa's were expired...........thats when I checked my Bag and found the current passport and took it down to them.

so Why take a chance, get legal!! Yiou could wind up in the Monkey House

1zgarz5.gif

Edited by TunnelRat69

Never a problem.

I always use my passport when checking into a hotel if they ask for it since I always have it with me. I never venture far from home without it.

IMHO it would be foolish to travel without having it. What if you were asked to present it to an authority and it was locked up in a safe back home. There have been cases reported of people being detained until they presented their passport.

It does not bother me to have it nearby at all times. I have traveled a lot around the world and it never has been far away. Some places I have stayed (including here) I felt safer having it with me than leaving it in a room or whatever. I have been in some countries where if you do not have with you when asked you would certainly be locked up.

I have a laminated copy of my passport and visa in my wallet.

I use this if i'm stopped for a passport check which never happened in my 29 years here but just in case.

Thai DL is allowed for ID check and laminated passport is (normally) accepted for visa/extension check.

Risk of losing my passport while traveling around in Thailand is to great in my opinion.

Quite often I don't get checked if my wife does the booking. She gets govt discount at some hotels.

She hands over her govt ID card on check-in and they don't ask for my ID.

My wife dosen't work for the govt but same as you my wife usually checks into hotels while I park the car and start unloading, she even uses my credit card and

the staff never ask to see my ID /passport, which shows how easy it is to use someone else's credit card.

OP you might want to find a Thai friend to check in for you. All hotels are required to send a report for any foreigners staying in their hotel.

Never a problem.

I use this if i'm stopped for a passport check which never happened in my 29 years here but just in case.

Thai DL is allowed for ID check and laminated passport is (normally) accepted for visa/extension check.

Risk of losing my passport while traveling around in Thailand is to great in my opinion.

I don't agree that anything other than your passport being an acceptable form of identification if asked for it by an authority here.

Passports don't loose themselves. Most of the time they are lost due to neglect by the holder. No greater risk of loosing one here than anywhere else in the world.

Never a problem.

I don't agree that anything other than your passport being an acceptable form of identification if asked for it by an authority here.

Passports don't loose themselves. Most of the time they are lost due to neglect by the holder. No greater risk of loosing one here than anywhere else in the world.

Thai DL is a allowed form of identification.

But police can insist on the passport to confirm the legal status in Thailand.

Two different things.