70 bike racers arrested after being chased by police and soldiers to dead end on Rama 3

webfact

70 bike racers arrested after being chased by police and soldiers to dead end on Rama 3

106_RamaIII-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Seventy young motorcycle street racers were rounded up in a well planned chase last night by police and soldiers using both police patrol cars and Army Humvee trucks blocking all escape routes of the crazy bike racers.

All the bike racers will face tough penalties under the policy of the military junta to deal with defiant street racers announced only a few weeks ago.

Under the tough measures issued under Section 44 of the interim constitution, the military junta empowers the police to detain the offenders and to confiscate their vehicles for examination up to 15 days.

The roundup of these bike racers followed long complaints by residents and motorists that young bike racers always blocked a section of Rama 3 road from Ratchadapisek intersection to Yaek Narathiwatrajanakarin in Bang Pongpang district to race every weekend night, causing noise pollution and unsafe driving.

A setup to apprehend all the young bike racers was then jointly worked out by Bang Pongpang police and soldiers of the 3rd Army Calvary Battalion using six heavy trucks and three Army Humvee trucks to block all routes after chasing them into the trap on the stretch on Rama 3 between Ratchadapisek and Narathiwat intersections.

As the group of almost 100 bike racers started to gather for race at the entrance of Soi Charoenrat 7 off Ratchadapisek road about 8 pm, the joint operation comprising almost 100 police, soldiers and civil volunteers then started the setup.

Patrol cars and trucks then chased all street racers to the trap along Rama 3 to Narathiwat intersection where all sois which could be used for escape were all manned by police and soldiers and blocked by heavy trucks and Humvee trucks.

When all the racers were cordoned to the dead end, some abandoned their vehicles on the road and ran away.

All the remaining 70 surrendered with 65 motorcycles.

They were ordered to lie on the road with their faces down by soldiers.

Of all the 70 racers rounded up, six are girls.

Among them are 30 youths under 18-years-old, and the rest are adults.

Police said they will summon parents of the underaged racers to hear charges, while their kids sent for rehabilitation, while those adults will face prompt legal prosecution under the policy of the military junta that also holds their parents responsible for street race.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/70-bike-racers-arrested-chased-police-soldiers-dead-end-rama-3/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-18

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well planned, huh? Who'd a thunk it? They could do with these guys on the border to catch drug mules who always seem to escape (like many terrorists in the South) despite WELL PLANNED operations. But then, the racers weren't firing back.

Wonderful. Something the police seem to have been unable to do without the army's help.

You want to say the police is incompetent? Naah, however after 20 years of a helmet law being in place they are still unable to enforce it.

Street racing is a serious problem in some areas.

Numerous reports in the news lately of racers losing control, crashing into roadside food stands, other cars, hitting pedestrians, etc. Not just motorcycle racing either, vehicles as well.

I keep telling everybody that the Thai police are becoming increasingly effective. They are using closed circuit camera footage, social media, and forensics to great advantage, and they are enjoying better cooperation from the public, which provides help in identifying and tracking down culprits.

I nearly hit some of these guys the other night.

2 bikes side by side in the road in my lane, stationary, lights off, revving up for a race.

The roads they choose are nice & straight for obvious reasons and it was after midnight and they were quite lucky I spotted them as I was doing 90 at the time and I doubt they'd have survived me rear-ending them.

Bunch of retards they are, racing their bikes with lawnmower engines in them...

2 bikes side by side in the road in my lane, stationary, lights off, revving up for a race.

The roads they choose are nice & straight for obvious reasons and it was after midnight and they were quite lucky I spotted them as I was doing 90 at the time and I doubt they'd have survived me rear-ending them.

Some might question who the retards really are. You were doing 90 on a public road when you nearly hit them?

Who was the Army pointing their guns at the offenders or the RTP.

Cops supervised by the Army again.

Yep. It has pointed out many times that the competence of the BIB increases markedly with the addition of a few green uniforms.

"confiscate their vehicles for examination up to 15 days."

2nd offence, bike should be taken, sold at auction to cover costs of BIB/military exercise.

Crush them via a steam roller better...right in front of them.

I really don't understand why the parents could be arrested for something their kids do. If the kids are old enough to race and have motorcycles they should be responsible for their own actions. They are not 10 year olds, they are 17/ 18 +. The parents suffer enough when hearing about the problems their kids cause. It is just the government trying to control via other people.

I was in Malaysia earlier this year and discovered that they have the same "problem" but there, instead of crackdowns swoops and arrests, the government has taken the opposite view to Thailand. The Malaysian government are considering allowing the Mat Rempits, as the racers are called, to race legally on the streets of KL and even going to the extent of setting up night races for them. Maybe the Thai authorities should recall their own youth and try to turn the enthusiasm of these street racers into something positive.

http://paultan.org/2...t-racing-in-kl/

http://www.thestar.com.my/metro/community/2016/02/22/kl-plans-night-race-for-mat-rempits/

Some might question who the retards really are. You were doing 90 on a public road when you nearly hit them?

90 km/h could have been the speed limit? As for retardation, I have seen plenty of these bikes in the local bike shop, and many of the mods are simply stupid. The hardest to understand was painting the inside of the brake light lens black, when it would have been far simpler to remove the bulb. Why you don't want other road users to see your tail/brake lights is a different issue.

Yes 90kmh or 60 mph on a wide (2 lanes my side, 1 in the other side), straight, open road.

That is an appropriate speed for the road conditions.

I really don't understand why the parents could be arrested for something their kids do. If the kids are old enough to race and have motorcycles they should be responsible for their own actions. They are not 10 year olds, they are 17/ 18 +. The parents suffer enough when hearing about the problems their kids cause. It is just the government trying to control via other people.

In Thailand they are still minor;

The majority is at 20 y old .

The law is sometimes a little bit ...special, original/odd;

thai women can work in a gogo at 18 y old but cannot enter it as a client if not 20 y old .

The same for discotheques.

I was in Malaysia earlier this year and discovered that they have the same "problem" but there, instead of crackdowns swoops and arrests, the government has taken the opposite view to Thailand. The Malaysian government are considering allowing the Mat Rempits, as the racers are called, to race legally on the streets of KL and even going to the extent of setting up night races for them. Maybe the Thai authorities should recall their own youth and try to turn the enthusiasm of these street racers into something positive.

http://paultan.org/2...t-racing-in-kl/

http://www.thestar.com.my/metro/community/2016/02/22/kl-plans-night-race-for-mat-rempits/

While they are "considering" they might think about mandatory protective gear, spectator safety, bike inspections (you don't just throw a street bike on a race track), who is going to pay for any damage caused to private buildings, and emergency assistance. Or you could send them to the nearest racetrack. There is quite a healthy and legal m/cycle racing scene on Samui, I used to sponsor a rider.

BTW most of these "race" bikes aren't fit to be on a street, let alone a track.

Street racers sent to boot camp - jail for parents if they do it again

post-137452-0-23466600-1468835284_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- The 63 youths caught street racing on motorbikes in the Rama 3 area of Bangkok on Sunday night have been sent for a seven day boot camp with soldiers.

Forty five of those arrested are under 18. Their parents have been told that if their children offend again the parents face jail of up to three years or fines of 30,000 baht or both.

Another 18 were youths over 18 but all the arrested youngsters will be with Region 1 soldiers from 10 - 4pm every day for a week. They will all receive probation.

Some 61 bikes were also taken into evidence and will be held for the duration of the week while registration papers and tax are checked to see if other offences have been committed.

Acting police chief Sanit Mahathavorn praised the bang Pong Pang police for how they handled the matter and in following the directives of the government in this regard.

"The massage to parents is clear," said Sanit. "Don't let your children out racing on the streets".

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-18

Finally a good job, what any European police force would have done within the first week of such events being pulled of on public road. In my dreams I could see the laws of traffic being in forced in the same way on all roads in Thailand now matter if you are speeding in an overloaded truck or an expensive Benz.... Ohh I just woke up and realize that I was indeed dreaming

And by the way my advice as a lifetime motorcycle enthusiast driving everyone crazy when I was a teenager: Give the youngest with gasoline in the blood somewhere to do what they love in a safe way (at least for the public). Many of them are good kids but need somewhere to go where some adults with the same interest can guide them a bit in a way they understand.

Heavy handed knee-jerk response to the road safety problem. Punishing parents will not address the issue.

If you want to help the kids rather than bootcamp, how about an proper rider training course instead? Use the time to improve their skills rather than just punish them for being kids!

Wonderful. Something the police seem to have been unable to do without the army's help.

The police would never have been doing this even if they had a two hundred police..The3 police are doing this because the Army demanded that they do it.The bib takes bribes from the racers each week to race.This is just a way for the Army to show the police "who is in charge now".