concerning the 100 days post death ceremony

thaibeachlovers

Yup, we're 1000 baht unless we don't know the family very well, then its 500 baht.

It seems to be a wedding, funeral or monk celebration every week, costs us a fortune smile.png

But at least you and your family have free food and drinks each time. So come early and leave late that gives you the best return....

Yup, we're 1000 baht unless we don't know the family very well, then its 500 baht.

It seems to be a wedding, funeral or monk celebration every week, costs us a fortune smile.png

But at least you and your family have free food and drinks each time. So come early and leave late that gives you the best return....

Not quite free really :)

Come early, eat early, or come late and be served recycled food....biggrin.png ...200-300 Baht is plenty.

It's not about giving money to the family, it's about chipping in to pay for the funeral. The amounts are recorded in a book, and when they come to your event, they are obliged to reciprocate. As well, each household will have 2 small yellow books which record what is paid out, and what is paid back.

Consequently, I generally don't give more than 500, so as not to burden the poorer people. But if they are friends, or doing it hard, I slip them a thousand bypassing the book. Sorry I don't have a pic of the book. Not house book. Smaller.

Edited by Goanna

As you know, the funeral goes for 3-4 days and everyone gets fed each day.

It's really just a donation to help. My wife's mum died recently and all up it cost around 50k and they got 30k in donations.

What I did was upset everyone by singing, now the envelopes have stopped.........laugh.png

I believe that....cheesy.gif

Norm around here is 200.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Yep, local folk with little dosh put 20bht in, it is all appreciated..But I am a hi-so farang in a posh area....facepalm.gif...............laugh.png

Is Hi-So another word for sucker these days?

Edited by Berty100

It's not about giving money to the family, it's about chipping in to pay for the funeral. The amounts are recorded in a book, and when they come to your event, they are obliged to reciprocate. As well, each household will have 2 small yellow books which record what is paid out, and what is paid back.

Consequently, I generally don't give more than 500, so as not to burden the poorer people. But if they are friends, or doing it hard, I slip them a thousand bypassing the book. Sorry I don't have a pic of the book. Not house book. Smaller.

Not sure it is all recorded.

I always put it in a blank envelope as many people do, gather them all together, and pass them all over together.

It is nobody's business what I, or anyone else donates.

200 per house here and unfortunately there are a lot popping there glogs at the moment. Sounds bad I have no problems giving the 200 at all. I say unfortunate for the families. One lost mum and dad and aunt within 12 days of each other the three earners in the family.

Edited by Deepinthailand

If they give you an envelope invite you give them the envelope back when you arrive with some dosh in it. Up to you what you give, but 1000bht is fine, less is fine too...thumbsup.gif

Yes agree. You may also find that many Thai families keep a book/ledger on who gave/received how much, for or from another family, for a family wedding, house blessing, funeral etc. This is so that any amount given equals or exceeds the respective amount received. To give less than received is a loss of face.

Tip: Call in sick on the day of the ceremony, would any of them be there on your day of reckoning ask yourself that?

Not if you never bother to go to any of theirs relatives events, no..

Sounds like a fair deal, I don't give 1,000bht to your funeral, and you don't give 20bht to my funeral.

If they give you an envelope invite you give them the envelope back when you arrive with some dosh in it. Up to you what you give, but 1000bht is fine, less is fine too...thumbsup.gif

I was told 20 baht is fine, but because I'm a farang and more prosperous than my neighbors it should probably be 50 or even 100. Noblesse oblige. Anyway, large amounts were not asked for, but I was hanging out with local farmers and workers. For the 100 day ceremony we only had family for my two wives (one in Chon Buri, one in Nakhon Sawan provinces). No big expense, like the funeral itself.

A Scot would just make out a check to the dead guy and drop it in the coffin.

And write a book about it..........laugh.png

I understand copper wire was invented by two Scots arguing over a penny.