Son who stole a million baht from mum says sorry Thai style

webfact

Son who stole a million baht from mum says sorry Thai style

s1.jpg
Image: Daly News

BANGKOK: -- A son who stole from his mum to go online and buy gifts for a female entertainer in a chat room has apologized.

A contrite Rapeepat, 28, prostrated himself at the feet of his mother Sirikan who had earlier reported him for the theft of 1.2 million baht, reported Daily News.

Rapeepat (whose surname was not given) had got addicted to the antics of a "VJ Girl" in a chat room on the I-Show application. Customers can
buy gifts for the performers online while others watch.

After he racked up the massive bill his mother called time on his activities. When the pair met at a police station in Rangsit north of Bangkok there was a tense moment or two. Mum was stony faced and angryand told her errant son the error of his ways.

Then Rapeepat broke down, wai-ed his mum at her shoulder then fell tothe floor to prostrate himself at her feet in forgiveness. The gesture known in Thai as "graap thaaw" is seen as the highest form of apology.

Rapeepat said he would not do it again and would stop his relationshipwith his online girlfriend.

But mum was not totally satisfied - she still told police that if hecontacts the girl in the next seven days they are to proceed with the case of theft against her son.

The son told police that he had been buying gifts for the VJ Girl since the end of last year.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-19

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This notion that a wai can solve problems by asking for forgiveness is fundamentally wrong and flowed

and abused by wrong doers to hide behind, children and adults have to thought that this is not

the answer and thinking that by preforming the kowtowing to one's feet' and expect forgiveness is not

acceptable any longer...

One wonders how many hours, days, weeks, months and years of graft was involved to save up 1.2 million Baht. And then good-for-nothing son (28 years old, by the way) blows it.

Also, I don't know about you, but I keep track of my finances and I would notice considerable sums (as little as 1000 Baht!) disappearing. Was this cash hidden in the house?

Anyway, all in all, just sounds like yet another highly-spoiled, never-punished, emotionally extremely immature Thai man-child. Normal here, I am afraid. Mum has even pulled her punches again. (If he does it again in the next 7 days.......). I guarantee he will do it again, but perhaps not until next month.

Edited by Briggsy

He doesn't look prostrate. Looks like he's kneeling...

Indeed, the normal translation of kraap thaao (to prostrate oneself at sb's feet) fails the literal test but conveys the sense. Perhaps to touch one's forehead against sb's feet but the sense of self-subjugation is lost. I have never seen a Thai kraap thaao by actually lying on the floor. "Dirtee, dirtee!" smile.png

Here we go again,, think they can say sorry,, wai, graap thaaw or what ever you want to call it,, and then they expect to be forgiven.

If,, I was to have done some thing like that, when I was a kid,, I wouldn't have got the chance to say sorry,,My old man, would have been all over me, like a Rash, and would have come down on me like a brick wall...

To show he is truly remorse, how about getting a job (or a second job) to pay her back with interest. Then he could truly be forgiven. If mom is paying his internet bill, how about taking phone away too until repaid. Seems he has to much time on his hands if he was buying presents for online girl friend.

Poor woman but this is what happens when you pamper your little boys constantly.

Mothers/grannies/aunties/guardians in this country should stop spoiling their boys and turning them into useless, scruple less and remorseless human beings.