Brit dies in Bangkok hospital after being stranded for 2 month while family struggled to pay bill

webfact

Actually, no. My experience is that the private hospitals on Samui go out of their way to void insurance for faster payment,

Well you'd be wrong.

I had a motorcycle rental business here for a long time, and spoke to quite a few customers who have a different opinion to yours. Alcohol blood tests were regularly carried out and insurance denied - even for pillion passengers. Passports were demanded and held until full payment.

well...Now you've changed you argument haven't you? - Insurance companies of course don't want to pay out - the hospitals do as it is a licence to print money.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There really needs to be an international investigation into foreigners treatment in Thai hospitals.

Basically how much does their ability to pay affect their chances of survival?

Seems like Thai hospitals, try their best to keep foreigners alive..

Knowing most families, just don't abandoned family members in a foreign country.

They must assume, the hospital bill would eventually be paid.

So, this family is crying/begging the world, if they don't get enough donations, the hospital won't release the body.

They also have no funds to fly her body back home..

Soon, they will be crying for money for the funeral expenses.

Edited by D3030

Maybe this be a lesson to people trying to save a few ££££'s by not having travel insurance.

Why should Thailand have to "foot this bill" ?

Why shouldn't they/? Thais get treated in NZ for emergency , if tourists ,we just don't let them die, it's treatment first questions later.

36k pound sounds a bit steep for just keeping her alive , I would like to know which hospital that was??

Sounds very cruel to me and non humanitarian, but that's common in this world where illness is a big money industry, the big corporates fill you up with pollution, insecticides GM food, raise the pension age, then poisen you to death with toxic treatments on the way out at huge costs.

Your getting severaly clipped in life and more so on the way out.

Dissgusting.

Medical insurance? well you might not worry if your ok but for a short term holiday you can get your credit card company to insure you for a small fee, worth it I think.

Long term medical insurance is so expensive that many take the risk.

Reciprocal agreements would be nice, but to hard for a politician to digest without a big donation, the staus quo win the money at all times. Sad.

Maybe this be a lesson to people trying to save a few ££££'s by not having travel insurance.

Not necessarily about saving a few shekels........Insurance co's restrict coverage as any pre-existing/past conditions will not be covered + have age restrictions as well.

Unknown situation in this instance, but would think, hospital could have been more accommodating in endeavouring to assist patient to return to homeland.

But once again the report is very sketchy as occurs with some news items on Thai Visa!

Why shouldn't they/? Thais get treated in NZ for emergency , if tourists ,we just don't let them die, it's treatment first questions later.

36k pound sounds a bit steep for just keeping her alive , I would like to know which hospital that was??

Sounds very cruel to me and non humanitarian, but that's common in this world where illness is a big money industry, the big corporates fill you up with pollution, insecticides GM food, raise the pension age, then poisen you to death with toxic treatments on the way out at huge costs.

Your getting severaly clipped in life and more so on the way out.

Dissgusting.

Medical insurance? well you might not worry if your ok but for a short term holiday you can get your credit card company to insure you for a small fee, worth it I think.

Long term medical insurance is so expensive that many take the risk.

Reciprocal agreements would be nice, but to hard for a politician to digest without a big donation, the staus quo win the money at all times. Sad.

I believe it was mentioned earlier - Bangkok Hospital... a private hospital....

A public hospital would have been much cheaper.... but then service is completely different level.

A coma with life support machines etc., nursing, feeding tubes etc. are not cheap for 2 months....

I think I paid 20,000 baht for 1 night under just observation at a Bangkok Hospital (for a friend).... and that is with no life support machines. If I can remember it included nursing, imaging, etc.

Of course in the US my grandmother was dead on arrival basically at a hospital in Arizona in 1980ish.... no night stay -- $4,000 USD.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Not necessarily about saving a few shekels........Insurance co's restrict coverage as any pre-existing/past conditions will not be covered + have age restrictions as well.

Unknown situation in this instance, but would think, hospital could have been more accommodating in endeavouring to assist patient to return to homeland.

But once again the report is very sketchy as occurs with some news items on Thai Visa!

You do realize that the cost of medical evacuation would likely have cost around close to $50,000 (or up to $100,000 if it is marked up by the hospital). Special flight services for that.... you don't just load a comatose patient (or anyone that is very sick) on a commercial carrier....

And you can imagine that if they start out with less than a 50% chance of survival (less than 10% chance of total recovery) that it would be significantly less on moving them.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

As the worldwide economic retreat continues and medical costs increase with inflation, a time may come when travel insurance or an International major medical policy may be mandatory to enter into foreign countries and to obtain visas, especially, long term visas.

If you currently have an International Major Medical policy and have a long term visa it would not be wise to cancel the policy if you can still afford it. Hyperinflation is everyone’s enemy.

When patients are unable to pay their medical bills it forces hospitals to increase their prices which isn't fair to the countries’ citizens who have to incur the added expense.coffee1.gif

Don't know her situation but most insurance doesn't cover existing conditions. Many people get the shaft due to this.

I was going to say that all of the insurance packages I have looked into barely cover anything, and when they do they often only care for a small % of the entire bill.

Bloody stupid to travel without Insurance.

Not stupid if you're rich. Why hand over money to make the insurance company wealthy?

Poor people, however, should stick to holidays in Skegness and Blackpool. Better for the British economy and for their wallets should they be taken unwell.

An inflammatory post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

She collapsed on vacation. That's all we know. She does not look like a person who led a healthy lifestyle from the posted photo. I would not blame Thai hospitals for her own neglect to her health. Not having insurance is foolish, especially if you are not the healthiest before you travel overseas.

You do realize that the cost of medical evacuation would likely have cost around close to $50,000 (or up to $100,000 if it is marked up by the hospital). Special flight services for that.... you don't just load a comatose patient (or anyone that is very sick) on a commercial carrier....

And you can imagine that if they start out with less than a 50% chance of survival (less than 10% chance of total recovery) that it would be significantly less on moving them.

Understand the costs involved, as been in situation some years back, but as said the article doesn't give sufficient details as to patients illness ( that's fine for reasons of privacy).

In general terms, would be necessary to assess if could be evacuated or not. Think, again w/o fully knowing, hospital would surely work w/ relatives in achieving a workable outcome for the patient & the hospital. Perhaps once again the report doesn't present both sides of incident & sadly, simply serves to dramatise occurrence.

I think you should research a little more into how travel insurance works.

It is ok for the short time tourist on holiday but it does nothing for a traveler.

The poster don't need to research anything, the traveler should do the research before starting his trip.

All this talk about she had no insurance how do you know? Maybe the insurance company refused to pay because she failed to tell them about an illness 30 years ago you don't know the full facts. The poor lady died. Whether she is insured or not I have travelled many many rimes without insurance and I am sure I am not the only person. But there are some holier than thou elitists here. Poor lady.

Actually, no. My experience is that the private hospitals on Samui go out of their way to void insurance for faster payment,

Well you'd be wrong.

I had a motorcycle rental business here for a long time, and spoke to quite a few customers who have a different opinion to yours. Alcohol blood tests were regularly carried out and insurance denied - even for pillion passengers. Passports were demanded and held until full payment.

well...Now you've changed you argument haven't you? - Insurance companies of course don't want to pay out - the hospitals do as it is a licence to print money.

No, I'm not changing my argument. The HOSPITALS are taking alcohol blood tests even for non-RTA injuries, claiming the insurance won't pay, and demanding cash up front or passport. Insurance payments allegedly take months to settle.

dcnx, on 20 Jul 2016 - 06:13, said:
Pattaya28, on 20 Jul 2016 - 04:57, said:

Don't know her situation but most insurance doesn't cover existing conditions. Many people get the shaft due to this.

“Kathryn had been ill for a long time and suffers from arthritis,”

You don't die from arthritis, if she had a pre existing serious conditions the sister would have said so,

where were the UK embassy in this story and they did to help the situation?

I'm sure if this lady was well connected she would have alive today, sadly, she was a no body

just enough not to really try harder or donate money for the repatriating back to the UK,

This woman could have been saved easily, .... Shame on the UK people and government......

Most sensible quote in this whole debate.

Well said,

Understand the costs involved, as been in situation some years back, but as said the article doesn't give sufficient details as to patients illness ( that's fine for reasons of privacy).

In general terms, would be necessary to assess if could be evacuated or not. Think, again w/o fully knowing, hospital would surely work w/ relatives in achieving a workable outcome for the patient & the hospital. Perhaps once again the report doesn't present both sides of incident & sadly, simply serves to dramatise occurrence.

The fundraising page says:

We have set up this page in desperation to try and raise money for our dear sister, Kathryn Williamson. We were contacted by the British Embassy in Thailand to inform us that she is in a coma and relying on life support machines.

Weeks have passed with no improvement. The medical bills have piled up, which we are unable to cover, plus to get her home with all the expensive machinery keeping her alive will cost a ridiculous amount.

It's heart breaking that Kathryn is there alone as her partner has had to return to the UK as his visa ran out. We have tried every charity possible to gain funds but sadly no help is available.

Without these funds she will not be returned home to us and will be moved to a hospice without medical support, resulting in her dying alone.

Any donation no matter how small would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Elizabeth and Tracey

x

In a good situation less than 50% of those that go into a coma come out of it. Being in a coma for months the situation is much worse. Less than 10% of people recover fully. Add to that the lack of stimulation by friends or family....

The information that is provided gives a pretty good picture.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

The fundraising page says:

We have set up this page in desperation to try and raise money for our dear sister, Kathryn Williamson. We were contacted by the British Embassy in Thailand to inform us that she is in a coma and relying on life support machines.

Weeks have passed with no improvement. The medical bills have piled up, which we are unable to cover, plus to get her home with all the expensive machinery keeping her alive will cost a ridiculous amount.

It's heart breaking that Kathryn is there alone as her partner has had to return to the UK as his visa ran out. We have tried every charity possible to gain funds but sadly no help is available.

Without these funds she will not be returned home to us and will be moved to a hospice without medical support, resulting in her dying alone.

Any donation no matter how small would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Elizabeth and Tracey

x

In a good situation less than 50% of those that go into a coma come out of it. Being in a coma for months the situation is much worse. Less than 10% of people recover fully. Add to that the lack of stimulation by friends or family....

The information that is provided gives a pretty good picture.

Thanks for that, didn't see link in item. Sad, papers didn't pick up situation much earlier could have publicised the fund raising effort as a legitimate appeal.

Try getting off the bar stool and read..It

Says $$$$$$$$....

The main idea of this report clearly says ...

A BRITISH woman has died in a Bangkok hospital after becoming trapped in Thailand when her family couldn’t afford to pay her £36,000 medical bills.