Selling Stuff At Night Markets other than food

Does anyone have experience with selling products at night markets? or the one day markets

the one day temporary markets that are at one place one night and then somewhere else the next night ?

What price range do you aim your products at ? 100 baht - 200 -300 ? assuming they are mostly Thai middle class customers

and do you make your own products or just buy wholesale in Chinatown etc ?

Do you try and sell stuff that are for the kids , or for the ladies like ear rings , bracelets and things like that ?

any handmade items worth looking into like crochet baby shoes or stuff like that ?

I said other than food , when I know that food probably makes the most money , but its much harder to do and you need electric power , or propane etc

anyway , let me know your thoughts and some of the great ideas that were going to make millions and the customers just walked on by :(

cheers

What type of area? City, suburbs or rural/agricultural?

I live near a small but busy Amphur town which seems to be the hub for the many small, farming villages scattered around the countryside.

I've never seen lots of people looking or buying much of the non-food items, clothes in particular. The non-food stalls must sell something though, else they wouldn't go through the hassle and expense of setting up the stall week after week? I imagine those who are more likely to buy non-food items at more rural markets are the people/families that come in from the outlying villages. City and suburbs folk have more options available, and while I might be generalizing, perhaps a bit more discretionary income.

City and suburb ,areas ,

Thai middle class where they could buy a trinket and not have to go hungry that day ,

I also see many non-food stalls that do not seem to have any customers , but they seem to be there week after week , but then I see the same thing at the lower end flea markets in California where you wonder how they pay the stall fee !

I just think its finding something "cute" that the girls and kids like and would spend their pocket money on ,

if you look at Google images - etsy there are all kinds of ideas , who knows what will work ?????

No one until you try , just have enough profit in them that you can give a good discount if they buy in bulk.....

But I would still like to hear your ideas :)

Don't know, but people buy off people, Like the Farang that sells Thai food in Bangkok. Maybe you could have an American themed stall, T-shirts, American Hotdogs.

There was a stall in Klong Thom that sold used USA T shirts on the weekend , I think 80 baht ,

there was always a crowd :)

but I think its gone now with the "clean-up"

Don't know, but people buy off people, Like the Farang that sells Thai food in Bangkok. Maybe you could have an American themed stall, T-shirts, American Hotdogs.

There was a stall in Klong Thom that sold used USA T shirts on the weekend , I think 80 baht ,

there was always a crowd smile.png

Sounds like a plan to me, you need to find a niche that will catch people's attention and not something that can be found in every stall, Thai love anything American and will pay more for it, just look at Mcdonalds, Starbucks and Harley. I have seen so many Thai wearing American themed clothing.

Getting the genuine good stuff from the USA (made in China or El Salvador laugh.png ) would likely involve import tax, driving up the end cost - but sure, I bet there would be takers.

If knock offs sourced regionally, and you're seen to be successful, wouldn't be long before 3 other copy cat stalls appeared. A bit too cynical.... I know.

I've often thought of doing something, anything, just as a hobby with the wife to kill time but, meh, don't need the money or the aggravation for relatively thin margins.

there was always a crowd :)

I know a guy who runs a stall in bkk...

He gets a lot more than 80thb for 2nd hand American or European t-shirts...

I could tell you where he gets them too....:)

Farangs on holiday should be more careful with minding their laundry is all I'll say about it lol :)

just hope that all you attract are the Chinese tourists - NOT!! - they denigrate the value of everything in their sight

if you can make or buy something for 20 baht and sell it for 100 baht , bring on a busload of Chinese tourists !

I am sure they spend some money when they are in Thailand , its just if their "minders" let them spend in a non-approved , no kick-back street market !

there was always a crowd smile.png

I know a guy who runs a stall in bkk...

He gets a lot more than 80thb for 2nd hand American or European t-shirts...

I could tell you where he gets them too....smile.png

Farangs on holiday should be more careful with minding their laundry is all I'll say about it lol smile.png

So he's a thief?

I used to be in the business of selling at festivals and markets similar to the Thai markets.
A few observations:

1/ Selling is only half the game. If you want to make money, you have to buy at a great price also.

I have a Thai friend who sells baby clothes and small toys here in Phuket
She told me she gets things from her mom who works in a factory in Bangkok.
I assume she has great prices.
She lives in a nice house and is a single Mom making it on her own.

2/ Location at the venue: Being in the same place every week (or day, if that is the case).
Some people will come looking for you.
Others would rather buy from someone they've seen before than a newbie.

Being in the middle, or near the entrance is best.

Being at the end of the last row will lose you perhaps 50% of the traffic.

3/ Lighting
Often these things go till after sundown.

I would be prepared for the late customer.
But put a shade on it so it's not in their eyes. (just on your product)

In Thailand, sunshade is another factor

Some thoughts: (pretty obvious really)
If you are selling where farangs are part of your customer base, get larger sized clothing if possible.

If you put your goods in front of enough people, you can sell (almost) anything.

A good looking girl as your helper, or seller, will help sales a lot, if you can train her properly. (smiles, no phone use, caring about the customer's needs, etc)

Some people like when things look messy, but have a lot of stock ("pile em high, watch them fly" is a one of our mottos I remember) (it's not easy to sell the last one of anything)

A crowd draws a crowd: Think of ways to get people to stop at your spot, it will draw others. People are afraid they're missing a bargain

You are always open. (if you have the truck packed up to go home and someone comes along and wants something, unload it again. Get the sale. You'll be glad for the money and you will have earned a customer who most likely will remember you and come back for more.)

Smile! A lot.

I used to be in the business of selling at festivals and markets similar to the Thai markets.

A few observations: ..........

Hi

thanks for your time writing that all down ,

I agree with most of it , at the markets I do in the USA I try and figure out a way to slow the people down so they at least look at my stuff ,

many people are really only out for a walk and talking with friends , so slowing them down is not easy , but its the only way to make a sale,

One of the other sellers has some free candy he hands out , just so he can get a chance to talk to the potential buyers :)

What price point is the lady trying to sell her baby items at ? if you have enough profit in the item . give a decent discount if they buy 2 or more ,

When people buy 10-20 of something I always throw in an extra piece or 2 , and do not drop the price as much , I would rather have money in my pocket and a few less items.

But yes , buying your items right is very important , and getting rid of dead inventory so you have money to buy "live" inventory that will hopefully sell at full price is just as important , ( I am very bad at getting rid of old stock)

Anyway please post some other ideas or thoughts , everyone wins when a market has more interesting sellers :)

Cheers