No, it's not Thailand anymore: The world's new party destinations

webfact

Isn't the Minister of Tourism and the anti-alcohol lobby doing their best to shut Thailand down to partying ?

I'm sure this will be more than compensated for by quality tourists forsaking Paris, Rome, NYC etc.

She's doing a great job in my opinion. Far too much partying going on these days.

Why do young people these days love "partying"?

The current youth generation all seem obsessed with spending their Friday/Saturday nights attending parties or 'whore-houses' as they should be known drinking like there is tomorrow and showing zero respect for the bodies of themselves or others. I'd like to know why young people do this to themselves. Why does socializing for them have to involve turning into wild animals and shattering ones moral compasses. These young people should have more dignity and pride in themselves. Instead they are ruining their future by spending their weekends attending whore houses. Why is this young people? Why can't you just go to the cinema/shops/restaurant or try lawn bowling like I do? It's a great way to let of steam!

"I'm going to bed, father - why don't you have a Cydrax?" Peter Cook

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the Minister of Tourism and the anti-alcohol lobby doing their best to shut Thailand down to partying ?

I'm sure this will be more than compensated for by quality tourists forsaking Paris, Rome, NYC etc.

She's doing a great job in my opinion. Far too much partying going on these days.

The current youth generation all seem obsessed with spending their Friday/Saturday nights attending parties or 'whore-houses' as they should be known drinking like there is tomorrow and showing zero respect for the bodies of themselves or others. I'd like to know why young people do this to themselves. Why does socializing for them have to involve turning into wild animals and shattering ones moral compasses. These young people should have more dignity and pride in themselves. Instead they are ruining their future by spending their weekends attending whore houses. Why is this young people? Why can't you just go to the cinema/shops/restaurant or try lawn bowling like I do? It's a great way to let of steam!

Why not ask your son?

Why not ask your son?
Ask him what?

I agree with the article. Koh Rong in Cambodia, even places not mentioned like Nha Trang in Vietnam are definitely more places to chill than Thailand these days. Actually, you could even include Siem Reap and to a lesser extent Phnom Penh given both places offer cheap beer and late night bar and nightclub options. At 3 or 4am, the pub street in Siem Reap is still full of life, whereas Khao San road in Bangkok is dead after 2am.

you shouldn't be up that late anyway old fella.....tongue.png

I'm probably half your age....

Edited by Tomtomtom69

While I can certainly empathise with the good number of Thais battling to make a living - perhaps if you, Iand many many othersdidn't get the impression they would love to take a swing at you if they thought they could get away with it, the tourists wouldn't be going elsewhere?

If you choose to earn your money in a sales or service enterprise in a tourist area, as some of my family do, but can't get past your Thai exceptionalism or adhere to modern business practises and ethics, then you can't cry foul when the people you have been ripping off for decades decide to go elsewhere.

Strongly disagree with the points made here. Nobody forces you to buy their goods here - try going to Vietnam, Cambodia or China where they are much more forceful and seemingly more likely to "take a swing at you" than in Thailand. Absolute nonsense what has been mentioned here - I've never had a problem walking away though if I'm actually interested in buying something then most likely I'll buy it. However, if I'm not interested I've never had anyone chase me or act aggressively asking me to buy their product - this happens in other countries not in Thailand.

'So if planes crash as you claim, how come I have never been in one?' Great line of reasoning there...

I'm saying that Thais are much less aggressive than their counterparts in neighboring countries. Given how long I've been living in Thailand and how many dozens of times I've been to each of Thailand's neighbors I'm pretty sure i'm right.

Getting considerably older than I was in the 90s doesn't help, but the fun factor has been noticeably lacking since the early 2000s. I remember the times when you would decline goods at the market/services of touts and all was fine. More often than not these days you get the impression they would love to take a swing at you if they thought they could get away with it...

Good. Shut the door on your way out.

A smaller pool of tourists does not miraculously transform the rest of us (old) farts into Jagger, I'm afraid. It does however have a very negative impact on the livelihoods of a good number of Thais battling to make a living...

While I can certainly empathise with the good number of Thais battling to make a living - perhaps if you, Iand many many othersdidn't get the impression they would love to take a swing at you if they thought they could get away with it, the tourists wouldn't be going elsewhere?

If you choose to earn your money in a sales or service enterprise in a tourist area, as some of my family do, but can't get past your Thai exceptionalism or adhere to modern business practises and ethics, then you can't cry foul when the people you have been ripping off for decades decide to go elsewhere.

Strongly disagree with the points made here. Nobody forces you to buy their goods here - try going to Vietnam, Cambodia or China where they are much more forceful and seemingly more likely to "take a swing at you" than in Thailand. Absolute nonsense what has been mentioned here - I've never had a problem walking away though if I'm actually interested in buying something then most likely I'll buy it. However, if I'm not interested I've never had anyone chase me or act aggressively asking me to buy their product - this happens in other countries not in Thailand.

Interesting perspective but, having relocated from Thailand to Phnom Penh three years ago I have to call BS on one of your examples and question a second. My own experiences in Vietnam and Cambodia are at odds with yours. China, no comment, it has been many years since I was there. Phnom Penh and HCM are no different to first world countries when it comes to "taking a swing at you" or overagressive selling, maybe it is the way I walk away that is different and leads to such grief for you?.

Getting considerably older than I was in the 90s doesn't help, but the fun factor has been noticeably lacking since the early 2000s. I remember the times when you would decline goods at the market/services of touts and all was fine. More often than not these days you get the impression they would love to take a swing at you if they thought they could get away with it...

Good. Shut the door on your way out.

A smaller pool of tourists does not miraculously transform the rest of us (old) farts into Jagger, I'm afraid. It does however have a very negative impact on the livelihoods of a good number of Thais battling to make a living...

While I can certainly empathise with the good number of Thais battling to make a living - perhaps if you, I—and many many others—didn't get the impression they would love to take a swing at you if they thought they could get away with it, the tourists wouldn't be going elsewhere?

When I offer to buy goods at the same price or slightly higher than Thais pay, the seller declines...This happens very often...weekly...they would rather lose a sale than to sell to a farang at a Thai price...lately I've been taking my gf with me to see, because she didn't believe me...she couldn't understand it either...she's also noticed that HER prices go up when sellers know she has a farang bf...it really makes my gf angry because she works for her money...

I agree with the article. Koh Rong in Cambodia, even places not mentioned like Nha Trang in Vietnam are definitely more places to chill than Thailand these days. Actually, you could even include Siem Reap and to a lesser extent Phnom Penh given both places offer cheap beer and late night bar and nightclub options. At 3 or 4am, the pub street in Siem Reap is still full of life, whereas Khao San road in Bangkok is dead after 2am.

you shouldn't be up that late anyway old fella.....tongue.png

I would be dead too if I went on the binge 'till 2 am. 3 beers ( shared ) on a Monday and Thursday and home at 9 pm. Next year I will have reached 3 score years and ten so I might cut back on the beer .

What is "Traveller", is it a magazine or just a website, and who is Ben Groundwater, described as Traveller's globetrotting backpacker?

A traveller is a PC name for a Gypsy (traditional Romany) or a new age hippy in a converted panel van.

Ben groundwater has been sorely missed in Thailand due to the drought but seems to be back now.

Anything else I can help you with, Bruce?

Enlighten me as to what is now the desire to come here. I first came 25 years ago and it was fun and I drank a lot. Now, I'm finished with that and wondering 'what the hell?'. Have you been shopping here lately? Been to the polluted beach or are you paying an arm/leg to go to the islands? Seriously, what's the deal? Everything does look better drunk, right?

Young people have enjoyed 'partying' for many generations, in fact people in general have enjoyed 'partying' for thousands of years. Some might consider it a shame you never realised this.

It's great you enjoy 'lawn bowling', but it's not necessarily so much fun for everybody else.

Halcyon days.... Party like crazy at the weekend and ease down with a doobie to Antiques Roadshow and Topjack on a Sunday.

Backpackers from Europe were the backbone of the original KPN full moon parties, 'adventurous' young tourists mostly travelling on a low budget.

Since, Thailand has become an expensive destination: the flights, the accomodation, the food, the drinks, you name it, ...and the fabled Thai smile seems not to be so present anymore either.

It also looks like tourism has changed in our present world, with a lot less backpackers on the move for holydays. Times change... Do Thais adapt...?

The wizards of KPN have recently divided the entire island in different zones, making of the whole Haad Rin area, ...a party zone,

Boy, would the KPN local mafias, the israeli/jewish one, and the more recent russian one, not to forget the police(s) be p...ed off when they'd lose the huge income this full moon generates for them...

But IMO 80% of the inhabitants, and a vast majority of residents (all the ones not making money with the party), would IMO say prayers to get rid of this black spot on the (still, a bit) green, and (relatively) quiet, island, with more meaningfull initiatives for sustainable, quality tourism encouraged by that change in culture.

As for the partying youth, they would have to find other places to get killed in bus and van crashes, maimed by motorcy accidents, drowned in sinking speedboats, fatal ODed with bad drugs, lethally poisoned by bad alcohol, or marked by mutant STD strains, yes indeed, adventure would be elsewhere as in KPN... Triple hurrah, I'd say!

What is "Traveller", is it a magazine or just a website, and who is Ben Groundwater, described as Traveller's globetrotting backpacker?

A traveller is a PC name for a Gypsy (traditional Romany) or a new age hippy in a converted panel van.

Ben groundwater has been sorely missed in Thailand due to the drought but seems to be back now.

I didn't think I needed to go into this detail, but I was wrong. Is traveller.com.au more than a website? Does it give unbiased travel advice, or is it dependent on sponsors and makes it recommendations accordingly?

I'm sorry you miss Ben, but you failed to explain why his opinion on top party destinations should be of interest. Has he actually spent quality time in all of the locations he described? What is his basis for comparison? Why should we care about his recommendations?

He describes the top destination in Laos as:

"Si Phan Don, or "4000 Islands", in the country's south is far more sedate than Vang Vieng ever was, a place where a party means hanging out in a hammock with a few friends and chatting the night away."

If his idea of a good time is hanging out in a hammock and talking all night, I'll avoid his recommended party spots.

I didn't think I needed to go into this detail, but I was wrong. Is traveller.com.au more than a website? Does it give unbiased travel advice, or is it dependent on sponsors and makes it recommendations accordingly?

I'm sorry you miss Ben, but you failed to explain why his opinion on top party destinations should be of interest. Has he actually spent quality time in all of the locations he described? What is his basis for comparison? Why should we care about his recommendations?

"Si Phan Don, or "4000 Islands", in the country's south is far more sedate than Vang Vieng ever was, a place where a party means hanging out in a hammock with a few friends and chatting the night away."

If his idea of a good time is hanging out in a hammock and talking all night, I'll avoid his recommended party spots.

Sorry Bruce, no idea on the serious answers to your questions. Google may be your friend here, I can do flippant but not, in this case, accurate.

I agree, youth is wasted on the young! Better they should learn to knit! For god's sake don't stop the crackdown on alcohol purchases or lewd behaviour or so called "fun"....be sensible, visit a waterfall or a Wat! facepalm.gifthumbsup.gifwhistling.gifwai.gif

Sorry Bruce, no idea on the serious answers to your questions. Google may be your friend here, I can do flippant but not, in this case, accurate.

My first post was also meant to be flippant, and an indirect way of asking "Why should anyone take this article seriously?" Since that didn't work, I decided to be more direct. The lack of any useful detail in the OP makes it nothing more than a meaningless fluff piece.

Edited by heybruce

Thailand years ago really used to be a place of freedom and do what ever you want (within reason). Bad luck for those that missed Nirvana back then.

These days like so many countries the bureaucrats feel obliged to pass laws on everything, the freedom is mostly not there anymore. In some regions it's still better than others though.

I think the Chinese invasion may also be contributing, it is seen as never ending and things are being regeared for them.

Thailand's gain is HCMC's loss.

An influx of Westerners may very well get them to rethink their dog meat restaurants though. Silver linings (for the dogs) and all that.

Why would westerners care about dog meat restaurants in Vietnam? Indians in the USA don't care about beef steaks. Roast beef is not a campaign issue for Hindus in The UK. That being said I saw no dog meat restaurants in my recent visit to Hanoi.

My mother took up lawn bowling at the age of 76. When she was 87 she conceded to indulge in indoor bowls.

I do not party like a teen but I am a <deleted> long way of either despite being willed her sets !

The only objection I have as a now well aged person is to the advancing extremes involving harm to others rather than the spirit of teen self expression. Sadly the extremes initiate and necessitate reaction which although are proposed to contain the extremes actually often become constrictions which provoke greater extremes.

If stroppy teens were to join you on the greens in any number you would probably soon find yourself relegated to a mere observer of highly competative skill.

Thailand is a fellow victim of international influences of the pursuit for callous greed and denial of social accountability. Therefore if lawn bowls could make them rich and/or famous they would be irritating your comfort zone already. For those who lack the intellect, education or social connection instead live in the other facebook reality of drug and alcohol induced fantasies of success.wink.png

Not life as you know it now "jim".

No, it's not Thailand anymore: The world's new party destinations.............

Thailand and it's authors really like to flatter themselves...........

It never was nor will it be Thailand for real parties....here it's just daft sheep like tourists who don't know any better.

Many who've had the good fortune to attend night clubs and music festivals all over Europe and the Mediterranean for the last 30 years or so will agree.biggrin.png

Because death is better than ending up like these guys.

The Full Moon Parties were always a bit crap really.

The whole thing was a rehash of the Rave scene of the late 80's, early 90's in the UK. Illegal parties in warehouses and fields, the whole "summer of love" thing.

What you have is:

- beach

- music

- People doing stuff that their parents had done 20 years earlier

It pales in comparison to a Monday night at Club Ku in the mid-90's when Manumission were running the night. 6,000 people in a single nightclub, amazing music, great people and things to mess with your head every turn you took. For example, I was walking there one time and right in the middle of the dance floor was a girl at a table, dressed as a nurse, peeling potatoes.

Then you had other nights at places line Amnesia, Pascha etc. - absolutely amazing places, with top DJs and top sound systems.

What do you get here? A crappy sound system on the beach, get your face painted (like a 10 year old), drink a mushroom shake and pee in the sea. Your choice of drinks? Singa, Heineken, Leo, Chang or a bucket of crap with moquito repellent in it.

It's hardly Cafe Del Mar is it?

Thailand has never been a party paradise. It's just a cheap place to get wasted.

Interesting perspective but, having relocated from Thailand to Phnom Penh three years ago I have to call BS on one of your examples and question a second. My own experiences in Vietnam and Cambodia are at odds with yours. China, no comment, it has been many years since I was there. Phnom Penh and HCM are no different to first world countries when it comes to "taking a swing at you" or overagressive selling, maybe it is the way I walk away that is different and leads to such grief for you?.

What are you talking about? In Phnom Penh tuk-tuk drivers are constantly yelling "where you go?" "tuk-tuk?" "you come with me" "you want ganja?" even if they see you step out of a car. That does NOT happen in Bangkok. Except in the most touristy areas where a taxi driver might give you a quick honk of the horn, no Thai is that persistent.

​Don't even get me started on all the aggressive touts at the Cambodian border, all of them Khmer of course. They just won't take no for an answer. One time I had to tell this guy "I don't need your help!" before he finally got the message.

Saigon is quite similar to Phnom Penh in many ways, especially in Pham Ngu Lao lane and the Ben Thanh market. Sellers often run after you as soon as you walk away from their stall.

I tend to ignore any tout that tries to get close to me, but apart from some Indian suitmakers in Khao San road, I have never been hassled elsewhere in Thailand, however, in Cambodia and Vietnam ignoring touts is often NOT enough to get rid of them.

You sound like the cheery happy white guy who talks to everyone and then runs away when they are chased by some aggressive seller. I on the other hand do like the locals do - ignore.

Thailand's gain is HCMC's loss.

An influx of Westerners may very well get them to rethink their dog meat restaurants though. Silver linings (for the dogs) and all that.

Why would westerners care about dog meat restaurants in Vietnam? Indians in the USA don't care about beef steaks. Roast beef is not a campaign issue for Hindus in The UK. That being said I saw no dog meat restaurants in my recent visit to Hanoi.

You didn't see them because you don't know what the Vietnamese for "dog meat" is. Trust me, they are there. Southern Vietnamese don't eat dog meat so I doubt there are very many dog meat restaurants in Saigon. There are also quite a few dog meat restaurants in Vientiane, Laos. They are virtually all run by Vietnamese, with all the signs in Vietnamese only (no Lao or English). All of them are well outside the tourist areas.

The Full Moon Parties were always a bit crap really.

The whole thing was a rehash of the Rave scene of the late 80's, early 90's in the UK. Illegal parties in warehouses and fields, the whole "summer of love" thing.

What you have is:

- beach

- music

- People doing stuff that their parents had done 20 years earlier

It pales in comparison to a Monday night at Club Ku in the mid-90's when Manumission were running the night. 6,000 people in a single nightclub, amazing music, great people and things to mess with your head every turn you took. For example, I was walking there one time and right in the middle of the dance floor was a girl at a table, dressed as a nurse, peeling potatoes.

Then you had other nights at places line Amnesia, Pascha etc. - absolutely amazing places, with top DJs and top sound systems.

What do you get here? A crappy sound system on the beach, get your face painted (like a 10 year old), drink a mushroom shake and pee in the sea. Your choice of drinks? Singa, Heineken, Leo, Chang or a bucket of crap with moquito repellent in it.

It's hardly Cafe Del Mar is it?

Thailand has never been a party paradise. It's just a cheap place to get wasted.

I'm pretty sure the Full Moon parties are copying the originals which were in Goa and started by the Hippies in the 1960's.

All the doomsayers should look at CM, hordes of tour groups from China have not destroyed other sources of tourism. The backpackers, hippies, eco tourists, and families. I'm not saying its particularly pleasant and the prices are definitely being driven up, but changes in the types of tourist aren't going to destroy the whole industry.