PM Prayut stops plan to cut down 2,000 teak trees as wood for new parliament

webfact

PM stops plan to cut down 2,000 teak trees as wood for new parliament

BANGKOK, 21 July 2016 (NNT) - The Prime Minister has put the brakes on a plan to cut down 2,000 teak trees in Chiang Mai and turn them into planks and pillars at a new parliament building in Bangkok.

Government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the premier had canceled the plan to chop down the trees in a teak plantation in Mae Ho Phra forest park, owned by the Forestry Industry Organization (FIO) in Chiang Mai's Doi Saket district.

The FIO was advised by the contractor of the new parliament project to supply 2,000 teak trees for use in the construction of the 12-billion-baht complex in Kiakkai area of Bangkok and chose the teak trees planted in the northern forest for that part of the project. The planned felling of the trees had drawn strong resistance from local communities.

The FIO was granted a concession to plant teak trees in the forest park and is currently seeking to renew the concession. He said the renewal needs approval from local villagers, who have insisted that the trees be preserved and been opposed to such a move.

He said the government has already ordered an end to the logging in the Mae Ho Phra forest park and said the government has had a clear policy to increase forest areas as well as to protect and preserve them.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-21 footer_n.gif

Okay, so they're not going to cut down 2,000 teak trees....for the new parliament building. All hail Dear Leader.

That's not to say they won't be quietly cut down a couple of months from now for some other noble cause...like export to China, or some Hi-So housing.

Edited by Hayduke

I agree with saving forests etc, but these are plantation trees. A crop for want of a better description. Surely someone's gonna be rather upset they can't harvest.

I am of a similar mind, these are plantation trees planted to be harvested. If it was from a real forest sure. Plantations however are a different thing and if you can't cut them down nobody will start a plantation anymore putting more pressure on the normal forests.

I agree with saving forests etc, but these are plantation trees. A crop for want of a better description. Surely someone's gonna be rather upset they can't harvest.

I am of a similar mind, these are plantation trees planted to be harvested. If it was from a real forest sure. Plantations however are a different thing and if you can't cut them down nobody will start a plantation anymore putting more pressure on the normal forests.

Globally the move is for fast growing plantation trees and leave the forest alone. The ban is for the forest trees and not plantation trees. I think the government has very poor understanding of the regulation. Plantation teak is fast growing and very different from forest teak which takes years to grow. You can get a pretty good 8" girth for plantation teak in just 10-15 years.

Anyway, today news indicates that the teak trees will be cut from other plantation and is 5,000 not 2,000 trees.

12 Billion Baht for a new Government complex, Wow, I was just dreaming about that sort of money being used to help upgrade the infrastructure of Pattaya, I did say dreaming.

Its the golden troughs they will be installing,that has put the costs up.

Oh ! and a new set of very expensive clocks.

regards worgeordie

Globally the move is for fast growing plantation trees and leave the forest alone. The ban is for the forest trees and not plantation trees. I think the government has very poor understanding of the regulation. Plantation teak is fast growing and very different from forest teak which takes years to grow. You can get a pretty good 8" girth for plantation teak in just 10-15 years.

Anyway, today news indicates that the teak trees will be cut from other plantation and is 5,000 not 2,000 trees.

If I plant a few thousand trees, when and how do they stop being a plantation and become a forest? I ask as I would prefer to avoid ill-applied regulation, and misinformed public condemnation.

If I plant a few thousand trees, when and how do they stop being a plantation and become a forest? I ask as I would prefer to avoid ill-applied regulation, and misinformed public condemnation.

I suggest that you approach the Royal Forest and get educated on forest laws and policies for starter and follow up with an understanding of plantation laws and definition. Clear as day for the misinformed public like you. A dictionary may also be of help to you.

Dead right. What's the point of establishing a plantation if it is not to harvest the trees?

In recent years hasn't plenty of teak and other valuable wood been seized in various raids or has that been ' disposed off ' probably off the books ?

Once the case has been settled in the courts (or, often, out of court), the confiscated timber is put up for tender, as it is no longer "evidence". Often it is the original trader who buys it back at discount prices. For a modest outlay, he now has "legal" timber, rather than illegal.

I know the topic of this thread are the teak trees, but has anyone noticed the following?

for use in the construction of the 12-billion-baht complex in Kiakkai area of Bangkok

12 Billion Baht for a parliament building?

PM saves thousands of teak trees from being cut to build new Parliament building

611_PM-wpcf_728x410.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai people welcomed the prime minister's decision that helped to save several thousands of teak trees from being cut at a forest for use in the construction of the new multi billion baht Parliament building near the Chao Phraya river in Bangkok.

Order by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha came as rumour went viral on the social world that the Forestry Industry Organisation (FIO) is going to sell over 2,000 teak trees in the concessions area to a contractor for use in the construction.

The teak trees are in Mae Hor Phra forest in Doi Saket district of Chiang Mai.

Government spokesman Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd denied the rumors, and disclosed instead that the Prime Minister had ordered the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to save the forest.

610_PM
Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd, Government spokesman

He advised the ministry take measures to have the forest designated as forest reserve.

As for the use of teak trees to be used, the prime minister instructed that it was the matter of the contractor to find from other sources or import them for use.

The spokesman affirmed of the prime minister’s order as contractors for the new parliament construction project indicated that teak trees of 8 inches in diameter were needed. They had contacted the FIO to purchase the trees where in the FIO made a survey of national forests where they found 2,000 teak trees of suitable size in the Mae Hor Phra forest.

Officially none of the trees have been cut down as the FIO’s concession license ran out in July of last year.

FIO director-general revealed that a petition was sent to them for the purchase of 2,000 teak trees for the construction of the new parliament building. Thereafter they carried out a survey of all forests in the country but were confronted with the public’s concern for the very rare trees located in the Mae Hor Phra forest and thus the project was halted.

He closed by saying that a new survey will be ordered to locate teak trees in other jungles in the country.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-saves-thousands-teak-trees-cut-build-new-parliament-building/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-21

Why I ask, everything significant that is done for the Thai people is marred with controversy and the uneasy

stanch of foul play and reeks of unabated greediness and corruptions? can't they do one important

task without all the above? why is it always have lounges wagging and finger pointing?.....

Edited by ezzra

Seems to be national park land. Call it a plantation or not, it's the people's land. Why not save the trees. On your own private land the government probably wouldn't take interest in what you do. This is a good thing. Not everything this regime does is bad. It's not elected so they can do whatever they want at the moment. They should do good and not help their cronies. If Prayuth cared about the environment, he'd do more including coming to the realization that he shouldn't be encouraging people to have larger families. The future's is less people but more wisdom, quality tech and of course a lot more nature.

Have to add that to the list; bike lanes, beach chairs and saving Teak Wood.

Bike lanes are a nice idea but they seem to have been built for Bangkok's wealthier folks who are bike enthusiasts (many of whom cheered this regime change in 2014) rather than any practical reason. Still, better than not having them I guess.

Trees always tugged at the heart strings of most people and will always win public approval whenever someone save a tree. This no exception but is it. Plantation farming is always on marginal agricultural land and is a sustainable managed farming of fast growing mono specie aimed at producing certified timber for the industry. Prayut is hasty and playing to the gallery by setting a wrong precedent to stop the plantation trees being cut which will encourage many to follow. The same can happen to eucalyptus, bamboo and rubber plantation and will have a big impact on the industry depending on certified plantation timber. Typical of his character for instantaneous over reaction without giving careful consideration.

Trees always tugged at the heart strings of most people and will always win public approval whenever someone save a tree. This no exception but is it. Plantation farming is always on marginal agricultural land and is a sustainable managed farming of fast growing mono specie aimed at producing certified timber for the industry. Prayut is hasty and playing to the gallery by setting a wrong precedent to stop the plantation trees being cut which will encourage many to follow. The same can happen to eucalyptus, bamboo and rubber plantation and will have a big impact on the industry depending on certified plantation timber. Typical of his character for instantaneous over reaction without giving careful consideration.

you are right. i have had this discussion with many hippies. the trees are grown to be used. they suck up carbon as they grow which is then tied up in construction. then the new lot of trees are grown to keep sucking carbon out of the air. cant change a hippies mind however.

you are right. i have had this discussion with many hippies. the trees are grown to be used. they suck up carbon as they grow which is then tied up in construction. then the new lot of trees are grown to keep sucking carbon out of the air. cant change a hippies mind however.

Yeah - but when the constructions decay or burn down the CO2 is back out there. So construction timber is only a permanent sink if you are continually building an increasing number of wooden buildings. Otherwise it's C-neutral

On your own private land the government probably wouldn't take interest in what you do.

Oh yes they do! My mate had a major paper trail, over many months, just to clear some young trees that could damage his house if a storm took them out. They were going to a new construction - therefore recycling. Managed forestry would be most beneficial to Thailand [in my humble opinion] rather than deifying 'Teak' due to sins of the past when satisfying Western demand.