Jetstar flight from Sydney to Phuket forced to land in Bali to offload ‘disruptive’ passengers

webfact

Do anyone know, will these guys be sent the bill from Jetstar for the flight diversion?

If so, that's sure to be a large bill to pay.

16 years ago, I was on a flight from UK to Thailand.

Although no violence was involved, there were some boisterous passengers, who were asked to behave themselves, but carried on.

Eventually the pilot (or co pilot) came to see them, and advised them that if they carried on, the plane would be diverted to Frankfurt.

The figure quoted for the diversion was 25,000 sterling, which they would have to pay, as well as the charges for being arrested.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To try and cut a long story short it has a lot to do with isolationism. They are fed a daily dose of Hollywood heroics and all think they are super studs going off to some place where everyone should rightly bow down to them.

Also I cannot understand the thinking of any person who commits wanton violence against another. I have had my share of kinghits and blindsides in my life and they hurt like hell. I am damn sure that I would not want to inflict that same pain on someone else.

All I can think is that they have never been hit before and if they have then they must have some sort of sadomasicist thing going on..

Of course an empty head helps.

Add to that the fact that so many people worship the Connor McGregors' of the world. Armchair warriors all of them with no culture and no upbringing, just a Rex Mossop mentality.

Who are Connor mcgregor and Rex mossop?

I was on a Bangkok flight once, three seats away from a man who proved to be stinking drunk. An hour into the flight, he smoked in the toilets. Ten minutes after that, he threw food down the alley, and some of it ended up in my neighbours lap, a young man well dressed who was being met by his fiancé and her parents in Bangkok. The drunk frightened us all to death , we were moved to the pilots rest seats, as ours were wet and soggy, and he was handcuffed to the seat. I think these idiots should be fined heavily, and banned from air travel. Also, signs should be put up, and questions asked, if passengers have been drinking heavily before the flight.,

I was on a Bangkok flight once, three seats away from a man who proved to be stinking drunk. An hour into the flight, he smoked in the toilets. Ten minutes after that, he threw food down the alley, and some of it ended up in my neighbours lap, a young man well dressed who was being met by his fiancé and her parents in Bangkok. The drunk frightened us all to death , we were moved to the pilots rest seats, as ours were wet and soggy, and he was handcuffed to the seat. I think these idiots should be fined heavily, and banned from air travel. Also, signs should be put up, and questions asked, if passengers have been drinking heavily before the flight.,

How much was he charging for a 'smoke' in the toilet?

What a kinky drunk, he deserves punishment although the vomiting part is understandable but throwing food is rude.

News this morning says Jetstar will be moving to recover $100,000, 16+ each.

That would surely be an ambit claim to put the frighteners into these losers, so when it's downgraded to a realistic $20-30K, they'll be happy to pay up and shut up.

To try and cut a long story short it has a lot to do with isolationism. They are fed a daily dose of Hollywood heroics and all think they are super studs going off to some place where everyone should rightly bow down to them.

Also I cannot understand the thinking of any person who commits wanton violence against another. I have had my share of kinghits and blindsides in my life and they hurt like hell. I am damn sure that I would not want to inflict that same pain on someone else.

All I can think is that they have never been hit before and if they have then they must have some sort of sadomasicist thing going on..

Of course an empty head helps.

Add to that the fact that so many people worship the Connor McGregors' of the world. Armchair warriors all of them with no culture and no upbringing, just a Rex Mossop mentality.

Who are Connor mcgregor and Rex mossop?
As an Aussie I have no idea also

That would surely be an ambit claim to put the frighteners into these losers, so when it's downgraded to a realistic $20-30K, they'll be happy to pay up and shut up.

I think you will find that, in this day and age, $20-30k would not even come close to cover emergency landing charges incurred.

$100k sounds about right.

The unscheduled stop-over in Bali must have cost Jetstar thousands of dollars.

I do hope that the airline has the means to pass any added costs onto the five bogans concerned.

Without being held financially accountable for their actions, the selfish idiots may just wear the experience like a badge of honour.

Yes I wonder if Jetstar could make a claim against them.

I do hope they are responsible for making their own way back to Sydney and Jetstar do not entertain their unused portion of flights.

I think you will find that, in this day and age, $20-30k would not even come close to cover emergency landing charges incurred.

There's no difference between emergency landing charges and just landing charges, unless of course emergency services are required to be on standby.

The B787 is well above 136,000 Kgs, in fact about 230 tons, 250 tonnes.

The Ngurah Rai Airport charges, pasted below, indicate only about A$2,500 actual landing charges including night surcharge of 50%, plus air navigation charge (covers the cost of Air Traffic Control and infrastructure) of about $7,000. No parking (only when the aircraft is parked away from the aerobridge and not powered), or hangar charges levied. Figures are approximate.

The real costs to Jetstar are another cycle on the airframe and engines, fuel required for the diversion and another climb out, rescheduling of other services because this aircraft would conceivably have been and hour or two late back into Sydney, crews running out of hours, etc.

I think $30,000 would be tops, could be a little more, but they'll go for what they believe they can get, and if that's 100K, and they teach these bogans a serious lesson, nobody will be crying about it.

136,001 Kg and over

28.12/tonne (Air Nav Charges)

Domestic:

IDR465,000 +IDR6,030 / ton

International:

US $ 437.60 + US $ 5.21 / ton (excluding VAT 10%)

Night Landing Surcharge:

25 % or 50 % from Landing Charges

Parking Charges:

Domestic:IDR900 / ton

International:US $ 0.41 / ton

Parking Surcharge:

Domestic:IDR200 / ton / hour

International:US $ 0.11 / ton / hour

Hangar Charges:

International:US $ 0.82 / ton

Edited by F4UCorsair

There's no difference between emergency landing charges and just landing charges, unless of course emergency services are required to be on standby.

The Ngurah Rai Airport charges, pasted below, indicate only about $3000 actual landing charges including night surcharge of 50%.

The real costs to Jetstar are another cycle on the airframe and engines, fuel required for the diversion and another climb out, rescheduling of other services because this aircraft would conceivably have been and hour or two late back into Sydney, crews running out of hours, etc.

I think $30,000 would be tops, but they'll go for what they believe they can get, and if that's 100K, and they teach these bogans a serious lesson, nobody will be crying about it.

and over

28.12/tonne

Domestic:

International:

Night Landing Surcharge:

Parking Charges:

Parking Surcharge:

Hangar Charges:

And who pays for the costs of the numerous other airlines inconvenienced by the unplanned arrival ?

The Ngurah Rai Airport charges, pasted below, indicate only about $3000 actual landing charges including night surcharge of 50%.

I think $30,000 would be tops, but they'll go for what they believe they can get, and if that's 100K, and they teach these bogans a serious lesson, nobody will be crying about it.

and over

28.12/tonne

Domestic:

International:

Night Landing Surcharge:

Parking Charges:

Parking Surcharge:

Hangar Charges:

And who pays for the costs of the numerous other airlines inconvenienced by the unplanned arrival ?

I'd say that there would be minimal inconvenience, if any, to other airlines. There are 44,000 aircraft movements at Ngurah Rai annually, a little over 800 a week, take offs and landings, so 114 a day spread over 24 hours, less than 5 per hour. It's not exactly what you could call high density traffic, but there are times when several land or take off within a few minutes, so there are also some longer periods of inactivity.

Unplanned arrivals are a fact of life in aviation. Aircraft are diverted for myriad different reasons.

Compare 44,000 movements with 250,000+ (65 million pax!!) at Haneda Japan in 2010, a moderately busy airport. With the opening of the fourth runway there, that will increase to 400,000+ annual aircraft movements, and Haneda is nowhere near the busiest airport in the world.

To put it in perspective, Sydney, the busiest airport in Australia has a little over 336,000 movements annually. Atlanta, the busiest in the world has over 880,000 movements annually, but reached 911,000 in 2013!!!

No airline is going to be inconvenienced too much by an unplanned landing when the airport handles only 44,000 annually.

Edited by F4UCorsair

The problem starts at their departure airport in Oz where they 'pre-load' with grog at the bars in the terminal.

Then on the flight they get stuck into all the free grog they can get.

I gather they all have been banned already.

Good riddance. I say this as an Aussie who hates this sort of crap.

I had a great flight on Jet Star from Bangkok to Singapore and back. I thought that this

airline was a great and cheaper way to get around. These 5 Aussies should spend some

quality time in a Bali prison and see how life really is out side of Australia!

I seen a few farangs, in a prison in northern Thailand, they were in for drug related

charges. Thai prisons are also not very nice for a month or more of quality time.

No foreign papers, magazines, and I was asked a lot to bring cigerettes and stuff

to read. The visitors were also not too happy with the prison food. To Bad! I

gave a fellow my Bangkok Post newspaper after asking the guard if it was okay. As for these Aussies,

good luck guys, hope you get back to Australia before too much time in Bali.

Note! when you are flying away from your country to some other country, try to stay sober!

Otherwise you too, can end up like these guys, who are likely not feeling to bright right now.

Geezer

The problem starts at their departure airport in Oz where they 'pre-load' with grog at the bars in the terminal.

Cabin crew are generally very diligent about not permitting drunks on board, so they must have appeared to be OK. The problem cabin crew have, if a pax is a bit under the weather, is that they tend to over react when refused more alcohol, and that's generally worse in the rarefied air of a pressurized aircraft cabin.

No free grog on JQ gunzel, unless you're in Business Class, and even then they aren't too generous with it.

There is this element of gross stupidity in every nationality.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I am waiting for they day they do this with non-stop crying children, together with their ignorant parents,

Well genius, pray enlighten us all on how a crying child can be silenced to your liking?

Or there again, cough up and fly business or first so you don't get put with all those little urchins.

Whilst I acknowledge that infants can't always be silenced, airlines should have a sub cabin for a.holes with children, it should be sealed and sound proofed & under no circumstances should children be booked in other sections of the plane.

Drunk grubs should be 1 strike u are OUT - Never allowed to fly again.

Fat slobs and chain smoking cretins should travel by boat.

What about just desirable folk with decent human behaviour allowed to fly

Simple, breath test PAX prior to

Boarding at depature gate.

Ban alcohol service in flight

Disruptive passengers should be cuffed, hooded and placed in a small cage & lowered to the coldest part of the cargo area.

If a flights diverted min sentence of 5 years custodial & public lashings. Plus all fees paid and $10,000 compensation to each passenger and crew member in board.

Easy

What a pity they didn't landed in Singapore and by lunch time they would be sentenced already to at least a year in prison.

Don't be so sure - the Indonesians do not like drunks, especially fighting drunks. Personally, I would prefer Singapore as they speak English and are not religiously against alcohol.

At the end of the day, such losers might prefer to spend a year in jail so as to have bragging rights when they get back to Oz. Much better to hit them where it really hurts, in the wallet. How about 10,000 Aussie dollars each to get them to cool their jets? or more if they are rich low-life!

The Balinese aren't 'religiously against alcohol', they're Hindu. Duh.

I am waiting for they day they do this with non-stop crying children, together with their ignorant parents,

Well genius, pray enlighten us all on how a crying child can be silenced to your liking?

Or there again, cough up and fly business or first so you don't get put with all those little urchins.

Whilst I acknowledge that infants can't always be silenced, airlines should have a sub cabin for a.holes with children, it should be sealed and sound proofed & under no circumstances should children be booked in other sections of the plane.

Belligerent oafs like this group should be dealt with. However, following on and whole heartedly with you sentiment People with a chip on their shoulder should be off loaded as well. I don't know any airline that allows smoking in the cabin. But, I agree we should ban anyone that annoys one. Playing electronic games, putting seats back, turning lights on or off, reaching over, using overhead lockers, getting on or off the plane before one, asking to be let out of the row to go to the toilet, doing anything that requires cabin crew, anyone overweight, anyone tall, anyone that makes me queue to go to the toilet, anyone that wants to talk, anyone that gets their luggage before me at the carousel, anyone....All one needs is one's private jet and all will be resolved.smile.png

Belligerent oafs like this group should be dealt with. However, following on and whole heartedly with you sentiment People with a chip on their shoulder should be off loaded as well. I don't know any airline that allows smoking in the cabin. But, I agree we should ban anyone that annoys one. Playing electronic games, putting seats back, turning lights on or off, reaching over, using overhead lockers, getting on or off the plane before one, asking to be let out of the row to go to the toilet, doing anything that requires cabin crew, anyone overweight, anyone tall, anyone that makes me queue to go to the toilet, anyone that wants to talk, anyone that gets their luggage before me at the carousel, anyone....All one needs is one's private jet and all will be resolved.smile.png

They don't need to smoke on-board to stink the joint out. Surely you've seen these brain dead smokers chuffing away at the airport, trying to breathe in as much intoxicating filth as they can before they board the plane. These imbeciles reike.

Why smokers don't just jump or something is beyond me, clearly they want to die but want to annoy folk before doing so.

No smoking prior to flights......pass the whiff test or be denied entry to the air craft.

Same goes for grubs that can't bathe or wear deodorant !

Filth.

i can never understand the mentality of idiots causing hassle on an aeroplane, its not as if they can escape. doh !! and also thats their holiday ruined, bloody good show.

Their mentality that day probably saved a life or two, as if they had of gotten to LOS god knows what would have happened to them.

Happy to Mercman, Bali is being called the "Oze idiot island" unfortunately.

My last visit there to watch a rugby game with my Indonesian friends at a bar was cut short as it was untenable.

Total louts.

Good on the purser & captain for their decision. It cannot have been taken lightly.

& I trust the Captain does not get into trouble

Simple, breath test PAX prior to

Boarding at depature gate.

Ban alcohol service in flight

Disruptive passengers should be cuffed, hooded and placed in a small cage & lowered to the coldest part of the cargo area.

If a flights diverted min sentence of 5 years custodial & public lashings. Plus all fees paid and $10,000 compensation to each passenger and crew member in board.

Easy

The problem is, Airports and Airlines make a lot of money from alcohol sales.

Would you, and every other passenger, be prepared to absorb this loss of this revenue onto the price of the air ticket?