Foreigners arrested in Thailand after FBI closes in on billion baht online banking scam

Jonathan Fairfield

Foreigners arrested in Thailand after FBI closes in on billion baht online banking scam

post-137452-0-25873400-1469099420_thumb.

Image: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK:-- A Russian man and Uzbek woman have been arrested in Thailand after spending more than a decade on the run for their involvement in an online banking scam.

Dmitry Ukrainsky 44, and Olga Komova, 25, were wanted for embezzling more than one billion baht from victims in the UK, US, Japan, Australia, Germany and Italy.

The pair distributed malware that was used to electronically transfer money from the accounts of victims.

Ukrainsky was arrested in Pattaya where he operated a yacht rental business. Komova was arrested at a hotel in Koh Chang.

Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakphan told reporters at a briefing on Thursday afternoon that the arrests came after the FBI asked the authorities in Thailand for help in arresting the pair.

Officers from the Anti Money Laundering Office also withheld more than 50 bank accounts from the suspects.

Ukrainsky and Komova will now be extradited to the US where they will stand trial, Pol Maj Gen Surachet said.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-21

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nothign to see here normal day.

man spend millions in thailand, thais are more than happy to take it away from him using any system there is no matter how much they hate working with americans.

how easily they gave into the FBI demands. why were other examples not so easily. ?

And after reading this how many of those who don;t already have it will go and buy decent malware protection software. None is my guess.

I use Malwarebytes and wouldn't be without it.

nothign to see here normal day.

man spend millions in thailand, thais are more than happy to take it away from him using any system there is no matter how much they hate working with americans.

how easily they gave into the FBI demands. why were other examples not so easily. ?

So you're saying that the Thais should always be suspicious of foreigners spending millions in Thailand? Were you drunk when you wrote this?

And after reading this how many of those who don;t already have it will go and buy decent malware protection software. None is my guess.

It is a great piece of software. Wouldnt install anything with out scanning the software with it

If there is solid evidence of the accusations printed here then these two could spend the rest of their days in a Thai prison and I would not lose a minute sleep over it.

I read that they were to be extradited to the USA.

Wow, are you a wizard?

They say that all roads leads to Rome and all rivers end up in the sea, so are most of the sun and beach

loving criminals of the world gravitating to Thailand where they marry a local to act as front and live

in peace and quiet, until they get caught that is......

Wow, are you a wizard?

He's not a wizard. He's the witch from Hansel and Gretel.

If there is solid evidence of the accusations printed here then these two could spend the rest of their days in a Thai prison and I would not lose a minute sleep over it.

They are being deported to USA to stand trial. Didn't read the article?

I read the article and what was apparently lost on yourself is that I have such little sympathy for these two scumbags that they could rot in a Thai prison and I would not lose a minutes sleep. As compared to the white collar prison they will get in the US of A.

Thank you for reminding me that many posters here really need every bit of minutae spelled out for them...ad even then there is no guarantee they won't completely nisread a post in their never ending quest for arguments.

Personally, I am always heartened to see that guys like yourself have hopefully relocated to LOS and freed the US of your negativity.

did you not read tha word extradited ?

Erm...why is the FBI involved in this?

"victims in the UK, US, Japan, Australia, Germany and Italy"

"Erm,..why were law enforcement agencies from the other victims nations not mentioned as being involved in the investigation and arrests?" would have been a better question. Good work FBI on this one. Too bad they didn't get HRC though.

I wonder how much of that "decade on the run" was spent in Thailand. Seems a boat rental business might take more than a weekend to sort out. Were these folks on interpol list? What sort of visas do they have, if any? In other words, how protected were they while in Thailand?

"after spending more than a decade on the run" and "and Olga Komova, 25"

So she has been on-the-run since she was 15 or younger ? ! blink.png

Whatever, well done to the FBI and the BIBs.

yes , he bought her ........just gunna piss off the judge ..............

So she's been on the run since here early teens (more than a decade)?!

You are the fourth person to post this? Is there some law of the universe preventing young people from committing crimes?? 25-10=15 WOW! Maybe NASA is hiring!!