Foreigners arrested in Thailand after FBI closes in on billion baht online banking scam

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And why do they end up in Thailand?

ehhh... how long have you been here ? if longer then 2 weeks you should feel foolish asking that question . if ya do not know by now , chances you never will . oh and one more thing , i have a water buffalo that is only walked on weekends by a little old granny , low hoof mileage , and is healthy that i am offering for the small price of ...........

If there is solid evidence of the accusations printed here then these two could spend the rest of their days in a Thai prison and I would not lose a minute sleep over it.

did you not read tha word extradited ?

Did you not read all the posts before jumping to conclusions ?

Obviously not because I already spelled this out for an earlier argumentative poster.

I wonder how much of that "decade on the run" was spent in Thailand. Seems a boat rental business might take more than a weekend to sort out. Were these folks on interpol list? What sort of visas do they have, if any? In other words, how protected were they while in Thailand?

It's amazing how many people don't check news sources before commenting! They entered 10 years ago according to the news sources.

She probably started out as his young teen playmate in the early days, until she aged & had to start pulling her weight.

Let's see, if I had a choice of spending 10 to 20 years eating Thai in an un-air conditioned Thai prison, or western food in a modern air conditioned American prison, I might choose the latter.

So she's been on the run since here early teens (more than a decade)?!

You are the fourth person to post this? Is there some law of the universe preventing young people from committing crimes?? 25-10=15 WOW! Maybe NASA is hiring!!

So you think it plausible that a teenager is capable of cooking up a scheme like this? As you mentioned NASA perhaps you are another genius from the Land of the plastic faces, whoops - free who thinks the rest of us second class?

ten years to catch up with seems to be a long time.

well done the authorities for catching them.

i wonder if his yacht rental business was legal and he

had proper visa for work in thailand.

10 years goes by fast here... plenty of foreign criminals in the Kingdom w/o proper visas running businesses, fake (or no passports)...

So she's been on the run since here early teens (more than a decade)?!

You are the fourth person to post this? Is there some law of the universe preventing young people from committing crimes?? 25-10=15 WOW! Maybe NASA is hiring!!

So you think it plausible that a teenager is capable of cooking up a scheme like this? As you mentioned NASA perhaps you are another genius from the Land of the plastic faces, whoops - free who thinks the rest of us second class?

another one about the age...criminals are criminals. Plenty of young criminals in places like Romania, Bulgaria, Russia.....

Yeah 25,I think she slept for 10 years first and then done the dirty work,yes the Thais will now have fairly well drained their resorces and its time to say good bye,and welcome to our new boat rental business,also we have a very well equipped Hotel for all vips at the best prices.This is where the Thai girls begin their education of how to treat foreign ciminals,and then say bye bye.

Not quite related to the story but still on online scam that I personally experience which I hope will be of benefit to readers. Recently had a close call of hackers inflitration and intercepting incoming emails from my suppliers and making changes to orginal invoices to divert money transfer to their bank. The hackers were able to imitate the demeanour of my suppliers in answering my emails when I asked for verification of the change of bank. I fell for it and sent to Bangkok Bank to transfer money but fortunately Bangkok Bank security system detected some abnormality and asked me to re-confirm. Got me curious and I contacted my oversea supplier by phone and discovered the scam. Be very careful as scams are getting more sophisticated and careful with companies even reliable one asking for personal data. Cheers.

nothign to see here normal day.

man spend millions in thailand, thais are more than happy to take it away from him using any system there is no matter how much they hate working with americans.

how easily they gave into the FBI demands. why were other examples not so easily. ?

Note to criminals;

You can live in Thailand, but don't bring your money here if you want to stay free.

A grammar police post has been removed:

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

Dmitry Ukrainsky 44, and Olga Komova, 25,

A Russian man and Uzbek woman have been arrested in Thailand after spending more than a decade on the run ---OP

That would make her 15 when she done these (accused) crimes then...................coffee1.gif

There are many countries that do not extradite to America....even neighbours of Thailand like Vietnam --Indonesia,....and many others, so with Billions of Baht---wouldn't you pick one of those.

Online scams are a hideous crime, agreed.

However this story may not be as simple as it being sold. The girl was 15 when she started the scam, as pointed out by other posters. They were "on the run" for 10 years, but in fact quietly living in Thailand. More than 1B THB is 30M USD or more. With that amount, why would he be working at all? Why would she be working in a hotel (that's what I read elsewhere). Why would they be in different places in the same country? Why would they be extradited to the US, when they are not Thais nor americans? Surely their own embassies would have something to say, and their crime extended to other countries too allegedly. I suspect that their being russian/former russian citizens has some non-negligible role. Or perhaps they skipped some protection payment.

I love Thaivisa.com! It never fails to make me laugh and start the day properly over a cup of coffee. Moreover, it apprises me as to the reality of this land of smiles in paradise - and the idiots within it - whether it be Farang, Thai, or Thai cop. Usually, the fallacies are usually numerous; as well however, the shady, numerous characters in dark shadows mirrored by the ladyboys, and other riff raff. Nevertheless, educational and humorous! No disrespect to all cops and kateus mind you. Khap khan nakrahp! ;)

If there is solid evidence of the accusations printed here then these two could spend the rest of their days in a Thai prison and I would not lose a minute sleep over it.

Extradition to the U.S. would not surprise me.

She has by all accounts been schooled by this creep for 10 years or more,i expect it became a part of life,nonetheless she is entitled to the same justice as her teacher,in the USA,because as far as i can make out the people that are at a loss are from the USA.I hope he enjoys getting it up the rear as much as he has enjoyed spending other folks hard earned money,as for her who knows what she likes at this late stage,no doubt it wont be the cooler she likes for sure.20 years should help her to detox what she has learned,from mr scumbag.

I personally couldn't give a sh1t. What's it to you? Just another 'Foreigners dun rong' headline coffee1.gif

I personally couldn't give a sh1t. What's it to you? Just another 'Foreigners dun rong' headline coffee1.gif

Well thanks for asking. What I don't like about them is they scammed Americans and many of thes scams take advantage of the elderly--thats strike two.

You don't sound like a very content human being. Just hung over from last night or is it something of a clinical nature?

Hey, thats a great emoticon you use with the guy drinking a mug of coffee.

Never gets old. You should see the guys who get really creative with it and add 2-3 of them in a row.

Genius.

Erm...why is the FBI involved in this?

"victims in the UK, US, Japan, Australia, Germany and Italy"

"Erm,..why were law enforcement agencies from the other victims nations not mentioned as being involved in the investigation and arrests?" would have been a better question. Good work FBI on this one. Too bad they didn't get HRC though.

I have no doubt the other agencies were involved, however it looks like the main victims were from the US so the FBI was probably the lead agency in this.

Plus western agencies don't like the publicity they do here, they keep quiet and let the FBI/RTP take the credit. Next time it may be Scotland Yard or Interpol, they all work together.

Archived