Hiw khao? Bus driver fined heavily for eating and driving

snoop1130

Hiw khao? Bus driver fined heavily for eating and driving
By Coconuts Bangkok

post-249866-0-89338300-1469100659_thumb.

THAILAND:-- The bus driver who was caught on video eating and driving faced a heavy fine yesterday for reckless driving by Department of Land Transport.

The driver, who was not identified, was reportedly fined THB5,000 and suspended for seven days after the video of him letting go of the steering wheel to scoop a spoonful of rice into his mouth was shared online.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/21/hiw-khao-bus-driver-fined-heavily-eating-and-driving-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-21

"The bus driver who was caught on video eating and driving faced a heavy fine yesterday for reckless driving by Department of Land Transport."

Good to see they found the one bus driver operating his vehicle in a dangerous manner. Well, we can look forward to a motor accident free year ahead of us.

But don't worry about the drivers who have been at the wheel for 10 ,12 or more hours, using drugs to keep awake, speeding or dangerous driving, no training etc., lets see what the reaction is when someone posts a video of reckless driving, speeding etc -

Still, a lot better than that ar$ehole who was seen drinking a bottle of beer while driving a bus a few weeks ago. Are drivers not entitled by law to a lunch break? Stupid bloody question!!

Reckless bus driver being sought out

2107008-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The state-run Transport Company is looking for a bus driver who was shown in a widely-shared video clip driving a fully-packed bus with one hand holding a lunch box and the other hand either holding the steering wheel or spooning rice from the box.

The incident took place on Wednesday the Udon Thani-Khon Kaen-Nakhon Ratchasima bus as it was heading for Nakhon Ratchasima from Khon Kaen. It was VDO taped by a passenger using a smartphone.

The unnamed passenger then posted the clip on his Facebook page with a description saying that the incident occurred on the Friendship highway on a bus to Nakhon Ratchasima from Khon Kaen.

He said the driver whose identify was unknown used his left hand to a hold a lunch box and his right hand holding the steering wheel and occasionally freeing from the steering wheel to hold the spoon to put rice into his mouth.

The clip also showed several passengers sit next to the driver, indicating that the bus was overloaded with passengers.

Mr Prasanti Khaoplod, the Nakhon Ratchasima bus terminal chief, said he had instructed one of his officials, Mr Siva Booonthammakul, to find out the driver and to summon both the driver and the bus-owner to his office.

He said that the driver would face charge of reckless driving and overloading the bus with passengers beyond the permissible limits.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/reckless-bus-driver-sought/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-22

Whether it's eating, using the phone, drinking beer whilst driving or overtaking on blind bends or the brow of a hill, these 'drivers' will do what they want.

With little or no regulations, it's a wonder they don't injure/kill people daily. Oh wait a minute, they do!

Every week we hear/read stories about dangerous drivers of the bus/van or taxi kind yet nothing changes. That said, why is anyone still surprised?

Bus driver's should be paid much more considering how many people use that service. Thailand has the money. Just crack down on civil servants abuse. Don't let them use taxpayer money for seminars in other parts of the nation. Every time they travel they request money and often hire outside bus services to do it. Most seminars are a waste of time and money in the first place. Under the current regime there has been no interest in stopping the abuse found in these fraudulent seminars by government people and the expenses that go along with them. Stop them and use the funds that would be lost to do the right thing and pay approved drivers more. The money is there for this. Just getting angry and blaming a driver is not enough.

Bus driver's should be paid much more considering how many people use that service. Thailand has the money. Just crack down on civil servants abuse. Don't let them use taxpayer money for seminars in other parts of the nation. Every time they travel they request money and often hire outside bus services to do it. Most seminars are a waste of time and money in the first place. Under the current regime there has been no interest in stopping the abuse found in these fraudulent seminars by government people and the expenses that go along with them. Stop them and use the funds that would be lost to do the right thing and pay approved drivers more. The money is there for this. Just getting angry and blaming a driver is not enough.

I completely agree with your statement about civil servants abusing their positions, a little off topic tho I feel.

As with many things, there is little or no regulation yet still much surprise when there are consequences related to their actions. This is what I feel is most surprising and obvious to most I think.

In the UK it's not illegal to eat while driving. Driving without due care and attention is though. From watching the video he was still steering the wheel while eating, still watching the road. I would say he was hard done by here being fined 5,000 for that. I would say drinking a bottle of water is more dangerous if you tilt your head back to drink it than what he did here.

Whether it's eating, using the phone, drinking beer whilst driving or overtaking on blind bends or the brow of a hill, these 'drivers' will do what they want.

With little or no regulations, it's a wonder they don't injure/kill people daily. Oh wait a minute, they do!

Every week we hear/read stories about dangerous drivers of the bus/van or taxi kind yet nothing changes. That said, why is anyone still surprised?

I don't believe anyone is surprised in the least at such normal everyday action, what is surprising is that the authorities actually have recognised it, now whether anything comes from it will be another matter.

I don't believe anyone is surprised in the least at such normal everyday action, what is surprising is that the authorities actually have recognised it, now whether anything comes from it will be another matter.

Agree with this part of your post.

One would expect, in a well maintained vehicle, that the steering wheel would be pointing in the "straight ahead" position when driving straiight ahead.

This is a Thai bus, and as we are aware, "well maintained" is a nonsense.

Before I wised up and started specifying that I would sit towards the rear of Thai buses, I witnessed a driver steering a bus that had at least 30 degrees of free movement in the steering wheel. Scary.

I try to avoid travelling in Thai buses but occasinally one has to, so I sit where I cannot see the driver, and anyway I reckon it is safer halfway back, the electricity pole will have been pushed out of the way by then (after the impact) I hope!

In the UK it's not illegal to eat while driving. Driving without due care and attention is though. From watching the video he was still steering the wheel while eating, still watching the road. I would say he was hard done by here being fined 5,000 for that. I would say drinking a bottle of water is more dangerous if you tilt your head back to drink it than what he did here.

Incorrect...it is illegal to eat or drink whilst driving a motor vehicle in Britain. I had a workmate who was fined 60 quid on the spot for eating a banana whilst stopped at traffic lights.

Incorrect...it is illegal to eat or drink whilst driving a motor vehicle in Britain. I had a workmate who was fined 60 quid on the spot for eating a banana whilst stopped at traffic lights.

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/driving-myths-your-questions-answered/