Passenger van drivers seek Thai military help

webfact

Passenger van drivers seek military help

BANGKOK: -- A group of 35 passenger van drivers lodged a complaint with the military against what they alleged as unfair treatment by their controller.

The group leader Nathee Somnoek told the media that they been operating on Route 156 shuttling between King Mongkut Institute of Technology’s Lat Krabang campus and the Victory Monument without any problem for about two years until recently when several of them were arrested for allegedly operating on route different from the one they were allowed.

He claimed that they had paid the controller whom they did not identify 300,000 baht for each van for the right to operate on Route 156 plus 5,400 baht a month for parking fee and another 180 baht daily fee which is charged whether they operate their vans or not.

Nathee said the controller initially promised to arrange for the documentation to legalise their operations on the route but, lately, informed them that he could not make the arrangement and that they should return to their previous route.

The driver, said Nathee, felt that they were cheated by the controller and, therefore, wanted to seek justice and help from the military.

Sub-Lt Nimit Chancharn, the platoon leader based at Suvarnabhumi international airport, told the van drivers that he would summon the controller for talk to settle the dispute at Charakhae Noi police station.

The officer said the controller acted like a criminal influential figure and that he would report the matter to his immediate superior.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/passenger-van-drivers-seek-military-help/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-22

We shall now see if the military are willing and brave enough to identify and control this out-of-control controller.

35 vans at B300,000 each plus a monthly fee of B5400 each and another B180 per day (B5400/month)

Someone's making a fine living out of these guys.

Just for this moment I have sympathy for the van drivers.

We shall now see if the military are willing and brave enough to identify and control this out-of-control controller.

35 vans at B300,000 each plus a monthly fee of B5400 each and another B180 per day (B5400/month)

300,000 Baht each seems way too high. That is 10,000 baht a day.

No way do the vans make that much money. I often travel by van on a 160 Baht trip. This trip takes 3 to 4 hours. Lets say 14 passengers... that's 2240 baht. He would have to do 5 trips a day just to pay the 10,000 baht.

No way!

I am sure it must be 300,000 between them.

The power of the army in Thailand.

Only a sub lieutenant, but it seems Nimit is the goto man to settle this dispute. Initiative, leadership, or just a craving for even more power?

I wonder who he was referring to when he suggested that the controller acted like a criminal influential figure.

No way do the vans make that much money. I often travel by van on a 160 Baht trip. This trip takes 3 to 4 hours. Lets say 14 passengers... that's 2240 baht. He would have to do 5 trips a day just to pay the 10,000 baht.

No way!

The 300k is a one time payment.

No way!

Perhaps that explains why the drivers insist on driving at speeds exceeding 120 kmh, overloading the vans with excessive amounts of freight and failing to maintain their vehicles to even a minimum safety standard. Hard to run a business when you are so far in the hole before you even turn a wheel.

The power of the army in Thailand.

Only a sub lieutenant, but it seems Nimit is the goto man to settle this dispute. Initiative, leadership, or just a craving for even more power?

I wonder who he was referring to when he suggested that the controller acted like a criminal influential figure.

Yes hard to believe a sub-lieutenant would be left to handle this especially as the controller may be influential.

Incidentally I believe the army have 2nd Lts not sub-lieutenants.

Ten gets you one they'll hand it off to someone else to fix. The track record of the Thai military is to talk a good game. The reality (as many people see it), is that the ;Royal; Thai Armed Forces are the worst mafias of the lot. Worse even than the 'Royal' Thai Police.

Winnie

The only problem is what uniform the "controller" is has on, BIB/Military/government/ or high up protection?

Now the van drivers have piad the extortion money and the promised cream route has not been delivered so they ask the military to step in,,,, What the???

If faced with corrupt cops in Oz, you might contact your MP. In Thailand, who ya gunna call?

Not defending the controller but it struck me as entertaining that a group of people come forward to complain that they have been bribing a public official to allow them to get around the rules and then want the authorities to get the other party to adhere to his part of the corrupt deal. Shouldn't the whole lot of them be arrested.

The only problem is what uniform the "controller" is has on, BIB/Military/government/ or high up protection?

Now the van drivers have piad the extortion money and the promised cream route has not been delivered so they ask the military to step in,,,, What the???

If faced with corrupt cops in Oz, you might contact your MP. In Thailand, who ya gunna call?

In the US it would be your congressman... good luck with that.

In Thailand it would be an army guy with pull... whatever works, eh?

Not defending the controller but it struck me as entertaining that a group of people come forward to complain that they have been bribing a public official to allow them to get around the rules and then want the authorities to get the other party to adhere to his part of the corrupt deal. Shouldn't the whole lot of them be arrested.

Welcome to Thailand.

And just what are the rules? When cops and military are the mafia, who do you complain to? The other mafia? And what do the van drivers get from "controller"? Insurance, training, etc? No, it is simple extortion.

Serious money here being spread about.... you can only squeeze so much blood from a turnip. Admire drivers optimism, but also realistically think nothing will happen as this whole enterprise seems to be cash cow for the savior army.

Ghostbusters!!!!

Would I be right in saying, it looks like the underclass are beginning to get pissed-off with being screwed every which way and are now starting to ask questions and flex a little bit of muscle.

Your PM?

Your PM?

He might be busy. I certainly wouldn't be calling a PTP MP to complain about bent coppers during their government. The first 2 actions of the BIB/DSI after the election was announced was to cancel all investigation of red shirt crimes and change the definition of perjury.

No way!

The way I read it was they have to pay a one off 300,000 for the route, TIT which they'll probably have borrowed & they hope to do the run for long enough to pay it off & make a living....

But I could be wrong, I am a Farang of course....