Why are condo owners so hated?

Both on and off board, as soon as it comes out that one owns condos here, there seems to a certain hostility appears. Not so with Thais, just with other Westerners.

Especially on the board. Non-condo owners almost seem to feel angry about you buying them. :huh:

Is it just down to jealousy, or what?

I don't think condo owners are hated but certainly chain smoking, intoxicated, smart mouthed, big noting condo owners aren't really appreciated.

Nobody wants to live near folk like that and condo are confined spaces.

I rent a lot and have had condo owners in Thailand rip me off twice out of 7 places. One lied to me about a gym being installed which never was and when I told them them that this was part of the agreement they said where is it written. I moved after being there two months due to this but never received my deposit. Another dick ripped me off on a washing machine that broke on the first time I used it which was after I had been there for two months. How could it have been my fault ? I lived there for two years but the dick kept my deposit due to this old machine. Cheap liars who hold your deposit give the industry a bad name.

Actually, I always enjoyed a chat with condo owners. Always good for a lively conversation.

- Some of them may have found out that they paid a bit too much for it and/or the maintenance and security is not up to par etc etc. There always seems to be something wrong.

- Or, last but not least: " I have reduced the price 3 times already but still can't get rid of the damn thing".

As I said, always good for a lively conversation. Why would I hate them ?

Cheers.

Comdom-iniuns....

Hive living....Some people are not cut out to live that way & usually somebody pays the price.....

Recently I had to meet someone at their condo at about 10AM so I got there early & waited in the lobby as prearranged....

It looked like a hookers convention Exodus coming out of the elevators, car after car.....

Any time you merge so many people the "bad pennies" keep showing up - doing what they do & drawing the focus & attention.....Probably to the deficit of the quiet good people that never get noticed but have to put up with it....

Part of the human condition/drama....

To some it's heaven.....For me I couldn't think of a worse way to survive......

In some countries it's normal from penthouses to cold water flats.....In others it's a ghetto/housing projects/government placed subsidized & living conditions - and perceived that way.....One or two small rooms crammed into a dingy hive - minimal/dismal life & living space.....

However people grew up seeing it will lend credence to their perceptions....

I have always lived in a country or suburb area - close enough to a city but miles away thought process & existence wise....

To me a condo would be a layer in hell....I've been in some very nice ones - but not for me.....

Plus we're in Thailand - right or wrong that by itself conjures up images....

Edited by pgrahmm

as soon as it comes out that one owns condos here, there seems to a certain hostility appears. Not so with Thais, just with other Westerners.

Non-condo owners almost seem to feel angry about you buying them.

Agree.

Many times it's almost an expression of Who does he think he is, or how dare he.

In such instances it's worth remembering that many, possibly most Westerners living here are either on a TEFLer's income, or a pensioner's.

Shrug your shoulders and talk about football instead...... Or knitting.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

One thing I notice is how people love to say things like "another reason to just rent in Thailand" at any opportunity. It's like they have to say it to make themselves feel better about renting.

Guy gets robbed in the street or something, "he should have rented so he can move!"

One thing I notice is how people love to say things like "another reason to just rent in Thailand" at any opportunity. It's like they have to say it to make themselves feel better about renting.

Guy gets robbed in the street or something, "he should have rented so he can move!"

Thats the bizarre part and noticed it countless times but its specific to Thai visa only. I often wonder where they move to? eg Bangkok's bad so gotta move ..to..Pattaya!... but that turns out worse so gotta move to...Phuket!.... but all the mafia are there ..so ..go to move to ??? ...Issaan? ..nope would rather get killed in Pattaya than have to live there biggrin.png

There is also a large amount of jealousy involved considering the disgusting quality of accommodation that a very large majority of the "cheap rent" guys go for

I rent a lot and have had condo owners in Thailand rip me off twice out of 7 places. One lied to me about a gym being installed which never was and when I told them them that this was part of the agreement they said where is it written. I moved after being there two months due to this but never received my deposit. Another dick ripped me off on a washing machine that broke on the first time I used it which was after I had been there for two months. How could it have been my fault ? I lived there for two years but the dick kept my deposit due to this old machine. Cheap liars who hold your deposit give the industry a bad name.

You seem to be commenting on landlords rather than condo owners. I wonder if the OP was doing the same?

I also think that many landlords (and estate agents) here are greedy, lazy liars. But that doesnt necessarily apply to people who, like me, own just one condo in which they live and who dont rent anything to anyone.

I doubt that anyone hates me for being a condo owner. They probably just hate me because I'm me.

I think the OP is referring to when someone posts they are buying or have bought a Condo,or other property

and the Mob of you should never buy any property here,you are stupid for doing so,I think

that's what he means, or I could be wrong as the post is not very clear.

regards worgeordie