first visit in 2 years

littlelost

i'm planning a trip to the Rawai/Nai harn area. haven't been for 2 long years so i expect a fair bit of change.

i read that the police are much tougher on drink driving, is that true? without a motorbike i can't get around as i'm mildly disabled, (well my knee is knackered in), if i can't go out and have a few beers and get home on the bike, i might as well stay at home!

Any help, greatly appreciated. and any places to check out would be great too!

Many places to drink in Rawai and Nai Harn, can just crawl home. A new development is increased assault and robbery on motorcycle riders after dark. The police are not much different from several years earlier but catching drunk drivers is good for attaboys as well as revenue.

Thai coppers don't care if your " knee is knackered". Drive drunk and pay the price. You drink drive, run over my kid and you'll make your maker.

Edit: Stay home, we don't need any more drunk drivers here,.

Edited by Shot

Many places to drink in Rawai and Nai Harn, can just crawl home. A new development is increased assault and robbery on motorcycle riders after dark. The police are not much different from several years earlier but catching drunk drivers is good for attaboys as well as revenue.

There were some issues quite a few years ago already on the Kata-Rawai road with that.

But assault and robbery on motorbike riders after dark really is not an issue here.

Thai coppers don't care if your " knee is knackered". Drive drunk and pay the price. You drink drive, run over my kid and you'll make your maker.

How do you get home after a night out somewhere on Phuket?

Last I heard, if you simply got caught, it was 10,000 baht to the BiB.

If you had an accident, you'll be screwed over.

If you had an accident and hurt someone, you'll be screwed over even more.

if you had an accident and killed someone - the sky's the limit to get out of gaol.

Drink and drive / ride on Phuket and it's not about the law and justice, it's all about the money.

If you want to go out in Patong, I suggest an overnight trip in a cheap 500 baht room, and ride home the next day, as ridiculous as this sounds.

Edited by NamKangMan

I drive, but I don't drink if I have to drive. Hit, hurt and or kill someone, and your life is changed forever, and your families life too. It's simply not worth it.

Edited by Shot

if i can't go out and have a few beers and get home on the bike, i might as well stay at home!

Well ... just stay home. Save your own life and maybe other folks lives.

I cannot believe anyone would ask this on a public forum ....

"I cannot believe anyone would ask this on a public forum ...." - speak to people who no longer holiday on Phuket.

You will find the lack of transport is one of the main reasons they no longer come here.

I drive, but I don't drink if I have to drive. Hit, hurt and or kill someone, and your life is changed forever, and your families life too. It's simply not worth it.

No argument from me, but if you do chose to drink on a particular evening, how do you get home? Serious question?

^^^I don't do it........................................I grew up where the drink driving laws were very strict. After seeing a good friend of mine do 30 days in jail for drink driving I decided never to do it, and that was a long, long time ago.

Edited by Shot

if i can't go out and have a few beers and get home on the bike, i might as well stay at home!

"I cannot believe anyone would ask this on a public forum ...." - speak to people who no longer holiday on Phuket.

You will find the lack of transport is one of the main reasons they no longer come here.

NKM - would you not agree he should stay home rather than drive a bike drunk ? What's wrong with drinking at a bar within walking home distance ?

^^^I don't do it........................................I grew up where the drink driving laws were very strict. After seeing a good friend of mine do 30 days in jail for drink driving I decided never to do it, and that was a long, long time ago.

But, surely an expat on living on Phuket, a "World Class Tourist Destination" can go out, have a few drinks, and get home, WITHOUT drink driving / riding - right? :)

How would you get home SHOULD you chose to drink?

^^^"How would you get home SHOULD you chose to drink? "

It's simply not in my DNA to put myself in that position. I know the answer you're fishing for, but you won't get it from me.

NKM - would you not agree he should stay home rather than drive a bike drunk ? What's wrong with drinking at a bar within walking home distance ?

I never condone drink driving / riding.

However, without more information from the OP, I will not agree he should stay home. What sort of holiday is that?

I have given one solution, an overnight trip in a cheap guest house. However, if the OP wants to go out every night, I agree, he should stay in a location closer to the nightlife, where he can walk/stumble/crawl home.

"What's wrong with drinking at a bar within walking home distance ?" - nothing, but the OP mentioned he has a disability. Perhaps he can post how far he can walk.

^^^"How would you get home SHOULD you chose to drink? "

It's simply not in my DNA to put myself in that position. I know the answer you're fishing for, but you won't get it from me.

So, you would never drink and drive here, but you do drink - correct?

If so, it appears your freedom of movement is quite restricted here then, when you may chose to consume alcohol.

Now, picture the OP, on holiday here, with a bad knee - no chance.

^^^I plan ahead; therefore public transportation isn’t part of the equation, no matter where in the world I am.

"I plan ahead; therefore public transportation isn’t part of the equation, no matter where in the world I am." - this would always limit your options to what is in walking distance.

I accept you factor this in, but many places of interest, in regards to nightlife and restaurants, are not always walking distance to each other. Does that mean you chose one and stay near it?

"When I am on holiday, I always stay someplace within walking distance of food, and plenty of drink. A 7-11 near is a plus." - but would there be a need to, should proper public transport exist? Eg. Pattaya - 10 baht buses everywhere.

Edited by NamKangMan

Wow, sorry, i seem to have stirred a hornets nest, and upset some of you - not my intention i promise.,

Thank you to those less quick to judge who responded, to those who immediately think the worst of everyone, my recollections of Thai culture over the last 20 or so years of visiting is of a tolerant culture, perhaps you haven't embraced that part of Thailand.

To clear some things up!

i was talking about having a couple of beers, not being smashed and driving, although i totally appreciate the best way to stay safe is not to drink at all! not everyone is a saint in this world. The drink drive limit is lower in Thailand than a lot of places, so i was keen to understand more.

I am unable to walk more than about 20 metre or so without severe pain, my kneecap has been replaced, the original one was shattered by a shell when i was in the army a few years ago, but if you would prefer to assume it was the result of a drunken driving incident, please feel free!

The idea of the post was to understand how much things had changed around the Rawai/Nailarn area, i've been going there every couple of years since about 95/96, my last time was march 15 and there were police occasionally checking motorbike riders for helmet and license but never for alcohol as far as i saw.

i've rarely seen any any taxis or tuk tuks in Rawai or Naiharn in the 10 times i've been so i wouldn't know how to go about getting a safe one.

Drink driving has been happening in Thailand by ex pats and local alike since god knows when, I assume those of you who jumped at the chance to criticise also are critical of everything else that happens in Thailand, that is not exactly legal !!!!

i'm sure there's plenty in this new post now for some of you to criticise me for, i'd rather not go down that route please.

So, you advocate drinking and driving do you? every heard of taxis? maybe there's scope for baht buses to be introduced!

So, you advocate drinking and driving do you? every heard of taxis? maybe there's scope for baht buses to be introduced!

See Post 18.

Wow, sorry, i seem to have stirred a hornets nest, and upset some of you - not my intention i promise.,

Thank you to those less quick to judge who responded, to those who immediately think the worst of everyone, my recollections of Thai culture over the last 20 or so years of visiting is of a tolerant culture, perhaps you haven't embraced that part of Thailand.

To clear some things up!

i was talking about having a couple of beers, not being smashed and driving, although i totally appreciate the best way to stay safe is not to drink at all! not everyone is a saint in this world. The drink drive limit is lower in Thailand than a lot of places, so i was keen to understand more.

I am unable to walk more than about 20 metre or so without severe pain, my kneecap has been replaced, the original one was shattered by a shell when i was in the army a few years ago, but if you would prefer to assume it was the result of a drunken driving incident, please feel free!

The idea of the post was to understand how much things had changed around the Rawai/Nailarn area, i've been going there every couple of years since about 95/96, my last time was march 15 and there were police occasionally checking motorbike riders for helmet and license but never for alcohol as far as i saw.

i've rarely seen any any taxis or tuk tuks in Rawai or Naiharn in the 10 times i've been so i wouldn't know how to go about getting a safe one.

Drink driving has been happening in Thailand by ex pats and local alike since god knows when, I assume those of you who jumped at the chance to criticise also are critical of everything else that happens in Thailand, that is not exactly legal !!!!

i'm sure there's plenty in this new post now for some of you to criticise me for, i'd rather not go down that route please.

There is a risk associated to being on the roads here, both to your health, and your finances.

You can encounter a number of problems on / in a vehicle here, whether you are completely sober, after two beers, or completely "smashed."

Some may be your fault, some may not be your fault, but there is a high probability you will be extorted for a large sum of money to make it all go away, even if it's not your fault.

I suggest you stay as close to your favorite bar as possible, so you can walk, or chose another destination for your holiday.

Phuket no longer possesses the "tolerant culture" of Thailand from 20 years ago.

I note your question was about changes in the area over the last two years.

Rawai/Nai Han has changed enormously in the 6 years I've been here with many new condo and retail developments changing the old, almost sleepy, village atmosphere. However, these changes coincided with the decline in numbers of European and Russian visitors and residents, and many of the condos, in particular, remain empty.

On topic, in the last 2 years the most obvious changes would be the demolition by the Navy of all illegal restaurants on, or near, the beaches and the enormous amount of tourist buses ferrying Chinese tourists to the wharf for boat tours. These buses are parked wherever they can find a place in nearby streets. The Sea Gypsy tourist area is extremely crowded most times, as a new breed of tourist flock the many small shops seeking a bargain souvenir sea shell, which, no doubt, was collected from a beach and not harvested from a living reef.

There's a famous British saying - "don't mention the war". On Thaivisa you should never mention driving/riding after having a beer. As you've discovered it will bring the expected responses from those with certain agendas. And don't expect any sympathy or positive suggestions regarding your war injury here!

I believe taxis or tuk tuks are available in the area because there was a recent story about them seeking an extra rank. As you would be aware they are ludicrously expensive so you need to make allowances.

I'm not sure, but, as an alternative, I think GrabTaxi is available here now.

Edited by Old Croc

To give the OP some info on his original question, I've never really seen any cops set up checkpoints in the area except for checkpoints when they are looking for drugs/weapons. The other type of checkpoint that you are worried about usually camps out at the Kata viewpoint, or towards Chalong Circle.

Now there are more "taxis" in the area, and you shouldn't have a problem getting one unless it's the wee hours of the morning.