overstay advice.

A acquaintance of mine has asked me a question regarding overstay. H e has been staying on overstay now for more than 3 months

and now wishes to leave the country. He has a ticket to leave from Bangkok international airport and proposes to travel to phuket airport

pay for his overstay there and then fly to Bangkok and then exit the country. My question is, will he be permitted to do so ?.

Any advice on this subject would be very much appreciated.

I doubt if he will be allowed to go to Phuket,my interpretation of the new rules is that he will be deported to his home country and banned from returning for a period of time....not sure how long,someone else will reply to this with better info whistling.gif

I doubt if he will be allowed to go to Phuket,my interpretation of the new rules is that he will be deported to his home country and banned from returning for a period of time....not sure how long,someone else will reply to this with better info whistling.gif

I see no mention of him being caught wit the overstay. That would be the only way he would be deported.

He will just pay the fine on departure from the country and might be banned from re-entering the country for a year.

• Like 2

Believe 50k going rate for 3+ months now.

He should have no problem flying from Phuket to Bangkok as it's an internal flight. He should avoid any contact with immigration at Phuket. If he surrenders/tries to pay there he could have problems.

When he goes through passport control at BKK they will see the overstay and he will be taken to the overstay desk for processing. Depending on the airline and destination they might not let him check in until the overstay is cleared, in which case he would need to be processed through the airport immigration office.

Your friend wouldn't be Rip Van Winkle by any chance? You mention no reason as to why your friend has overstayed so presumably it was because he couldn't be bothered getting a visa. If he has a valid reason then he should have contacted Immigration to get some resolution.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure he has to fly straight out off the country and cant go from Phuket to Bkk first .I had an overstay before and was told by my lawyer to fly straight out off the country.

Why? Did you ask the lawyer that question?

Lots of people have flown domestic to Bangkok and then flew out of the country after clearing their overstay on departure.

Not sure why he would want to take 2 Domestic Flight to pay an Overstay when he is ready to leave Bangkok International now, and can pay their.

He will be reminded of his Overstay and the amount, when he checks in, and pulled aside by Immigration to pay the Fine and a talking to, as he goes through Customs. So it is best for him to go earlier as he will be delayed some.

If I recall, and maybe others know better, if you overstay past 90 days, and don't get caught, you may be banned for 1 year. Not sure what they will do if it is close to that. If you do get caught then for sure you will be banned.

If I was him I would leave through Bangkok International as soon as possible and keep a low profile until I did.

I dont understand why he would want to fly to Phuket? One last Hurrah?

He is flying from Phuket to Bangkok to get on a flight out of the country.

Any chance the check in lady will rat him out when he shows his passport to check in on the Phuket-BKK leg?

Seems like that could be a good little earner for the Phuket Immigration guys- instead of letting the money go to the BKK immigration guys.

Not a pointed question at all, just curious whether anyone's experienced it. (And a friend of a friend- doesn't count)

I dont understand why he would want to fly to Phuket? One last Hurrah?

He is flying from Phuket to Bangkok to get on a flight out of the country.

Any chance the check in lady will rat him out when he shows his passport to check in on the Phuket-BKK leg?

Seems like that could be a good little earner for the Phuket Immigration guys- instead of letting the money go to the BKK immigration guys.

Not a pointed question at all, just curious whether anyone's experienced it. (And a friend of a friend- doesn't count)

At check in or at the security check when flying domestic I have never had anybody look at anything more than the photo page of my passport. They certainly don't take the time to look for a permit to stay date since that is not their responsibility. All they are concerned with is proof of who you are and it matches your ticket or boarding pass.

• Like 1

Hopefully he will just pay the fine and leave, but if he is arrested before he do so he may have to go to jail to. Based on the new law he may also be black listed and would not be able to come to Thailand for some period of time.