MFU Farang Teacher Program: looking for people who have taught/are currently teaching

Cocoloka

Hello! Just recently i got accepted to teach as a Farang Teacher in Mae Fah Luanng University. I am just wondering if there is anyone here who is currently having the job or have had the experience in having the job? There are couple of things I would like to ask and discuss.

Also, I am considering to rent or buy a proper bicycle to get around once I am in Chiang Rai. I do not, however, have the slightest clue about cycling condition in Chiang Rai. Would appreciate any info in regard of the matter.

Many thanks in advance :)

Chiang Rai is a great place to cycle. I would go to Northern Bike on the main highway into town from the university. They take care of all my bike needs.

The university is spread out and there are some hills so you will probably need a scooter to get to your classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeCFQt7Ncmo

If you are living in CR, then you will need a scooter to get there. Oh, and be prepared to spend half your life sat at traffic lights en route but other than that, it is touted as the 'most beautiful university in Thailand'. I'd ask any questions on concerns you may have prior to signing a contract but that said, I hear that it is a good school to work at.

University 'lectures' are typically 3 hrs. No need to 'lecture' for 3 hrs. In my experience, lecture for 2 hrs then give the other hour as study time or home work.

Save you time, students are happy, and use this to motivate the buggers.

No need to hang around the office when you're not 'lecturing'.

KISS

I'm a farang student at Mae Fah Luang. Can't say anything about teaching there, but it is a very nice atmosphere on campus. Maybe doesn't quite have the charm CMU has. Facilities are clean and modern. Over the last couple of years I have noticed tons of money is pouring into MFU. New dorms, labs, etc popping up all over.

Depending on where you live in CR, the ring road may be convenient. It has finally opened and connects the southern extreme of the city with the northern one, just a couple of clicks shy of MFU. Saves me tons of time on my five or six trips from Chiang Mai every semester.

In my experience MFU is a proper school. Students who don't perform are cut and there does not seem to be a "free pass" system in play (though I could be wrong). For sure there isn't in the grad school anyway. And, as another poster stated, lots of very good cycling opportunities.

Chiang Rai is a great place to cycle. I would go to Northern Bike on the main highway into town from the university. They take care of all my bike needs.

The university is spread out and there are some hills so you will probably need a scooter to get to your classes.

Thank you so much for the information!

Talking about scooter, how dangerous is it to drive scooter in CR? I heard that it is quite dangerous to drive there. Though I have been living in Bali for five years and I can say that I am quite used to the unique and unpredictable driving style here. Is it the same in Thailand? Also, how's the driving licence and any issues related to it? Is it complicated and tiring?

I'm a farang student at Mae Fah Luang. Can't say anything about teaching there, but it is a very nice atmosphere on campus. Maybe doesn't quite have the charm CMU has. Facilities are clean and modern. Over the last couple of years I have noticed tons of money is pouring into MFU. New dorms, labs, etc popping up all over.

Depending on where you live in CR, the ring road may be convenient. It has finally opened and connects the southern extreme of the city with the northern one, just a couple of clicks shy of MFU. Saves me tons of time on my five or six trips from Chiang Mai every semester.

In my experience MFU is a proper school. Students who don't perform are cut and there does not seem to be a "free pass" system in play (though I could be wrong). For sure there isn't in the grad school anyway. And, as another poster stated, lots of very good cycling opportunities.

Hi Ecline! Thank you for responding. It is very nice to know that the university is a good one and that there are many great cycling opportunities. By the way, someone mentioned about hills, how hard are these hills?

Oh, also, is there any public transport running inside the Uni complex?

Talking about scooter, how dangerous is it to drive scooter in CR? I heard that it is quite dangerous to drive there. Though I have been living in Bali for five years and I can say that I am quite used to the unique and unpredictable driving style here. Is it the same in Thailand? Also, how's the driving licence and any issues related to it? Is it complicated and tiring?

I have never had a problem driving here but some people do. As long as you are not fixated on rules and who is right or wrong and simply adjust to the unique and unpredictable driving style of your environment you should be okay. Coming from Bali you shouldn't have any problems adjusting. There is a good Thailand Motor Forum on ThaiVisa with lots of information on things like driving licenses. The main licensing place is not far from the immigration office so it is easy to find. There is also a teaching in Thailand forum but I really can't say what can be found there.

Edited by villagefarang

I seem to remember seeing some electric trams on campus so I asked my wife if she knew anything about them. She drives there so didn’t know offhand but told me to hold on a second. She has a group on LINE and they came back with the following information.

Tram runs from 6:30am to 10pm but depart at irregular intervals, as they wait for the tram to fill. Students pay a fee which is part of their tuition but teachers ride for free.
As an interesting side note, we were soaking in the hot-tub during this information search but I am back at the computer now.
Okay, now it is your turn. Age, sex, nationality, subject, length of contract and when do you start teaching? My wife asked me and I sheepishly had to say I didn’t know. So please help me out here.wai.gif
(In my opinion it is advisable to make as many Thai friends as you can and before long you will have little need of forums like this. Asking other foreigners about stuff in Thailand is one of the least efficient ways of networking and orienting yourself. I always recommend going to the source or asking for an introduction or recommendation from a Thai friend.)
Edited by villagefarang

<<I am just wondering if there is anyone here who is currently having the job or have had the experience in having the job?>>

Try again.

Try reading the whole thread and you will find that the OP is not dissatisfied with the information received so far.

<<I am just wondering if there is anyone here who is currently having the job or have had the experience in having the job?>>

Try again.

Try reading the whole thread and you will find that the OP is not dissatisfied with the information received so far.
I was referring to the OP's atrocious grammar.

Lemonjelly, thanks for pointing that out. You seems like a fun mentor! Would you like to become my mentor?

Cocoloka, I'm afraid I agree with LemonJelly (great album!) on questioning your use of grammar. If you're going to teach, it's reasonable for students to be confident you know your subject. Do you not agree?

Aj Martin

Bali is worse than CR.

Lemonjelly, thanks for pointing that out. You seems like a fun mentor! Would you like to become my mentor?

Cocoloka, I'm afraid I agree with LemonJelly (great album!) on questioning your use of grammar. If you're going to teach, it's reasonable for students to be confident you know your subject. Do you not agree?

Aj Martin

Certainly. Hence, I thanked the person and offer him/her to become my mentor. I was quite serious with my offer, though it might sound sarcastic. Hehe..

Anyway, I made a mistake in the heading of this post and I meant to edit it, though obviously I cannot do so in this forum (or perhaps I just don't know how to do it yet)

By the way, just out of interest, what do you think about the grammar of my other sentences in this post? My IELTS score is not yet 9.0, it's only 8.0 so far, which seems to be more than good enough :) Though of course I embrace the philosophy of 'teachers should learn harder than the students'

Bali is worse than CR

Then I feel relieved to know that :)

It's obvious that you are a non-NES.  The schools get funding for foreign teachers and try to pocket as much of it as possible.  Hiring Filipinos, Africans, and Eastern Europeans allows them to maximize their cut.  Wages are bad in CM, but CR may actually take the national title for worst foreign teacher pay.  Good luck!