Campaign against foam food containers achieves successful results

webfact

Campaign against foam food containers achieves successful results

fc.jpg

BANGKOK, 25 July 2016 (NNT) - The Office on the Promotion of Healthy Lifestyles has announced its success in campaigning against the use of polystyrene foam in Phasi Charoen district in Bangkok. The campaign is aimed at preventing cancer caused by foam food containers and promoting healthy lifestyles.

After the government launched the policy to eradicate the use of polystyrene foam with food in three years, the office conducted a research project with Siam University in Phasi Charoen district. More than 40 food shops have participated in the project by exchanging foam food containers with bagasse containers which are safer.

The office’s director M.D. Pairoj Saonuam said the project would be expanded to cover all districts in Bangkok in order to make changes that were good for people’s health.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-25 footer_n.gif

I'll believe it when I never see another polystyrene container again.

From a quick search the Bagasse containers can look very similar - I had not heard of them before seeing this article. I am guessing the cost is much higher but otherwise it seems a win win all round?

Just read also that it is a by product of sugar cane production so may be an issue if there is insufficient and you would need to grow more cane.........

"The campaign is aimed at preventing cancer caused by foam food containers and promoting healthy lifestyles."

Eh? Just how long does food have to sit in container to be a health hazard? Interesting spin, to say the least. Foam containers are banned in my hometown of Portland Oregon, but that is due to massive amount of garbage foam creates.

I don't know what Bagasse containers are, but if they break down in a short time then they sure get my vote, should be made to use them all over Thailand and not just one area of BKK, still it is a start.. . But I wonder about the cancer scare angle ? as usually the food is on a piece of waxed paper, plastic or banana leaf, so it is not in direct contact with the foam ???

I don't know what Bagasse containers are, but if they break down in a short time then they sure get my vote, should be made to use them all over Thailand and not just one area of BKK, still it is a start.. . But I wonder about the cancer scare angle ? as usually the food is on a piece of waxed paper, plastic or banana leaf, so it is not in direct contact with the foam ???

A Google search turned up some very interesting articles. "Foam food containers and cancer."

I'll believe it when I never see another polystyrene container again.

From a quick search the Bagasse containers can look very similar - I had not heard of them before seeing this article. I am guessing the cost is much higher but otherwise it seems a win win all round?

Just read also that it is a by product of sugar cane production so may be an issue if there is insufficient and you would need to grow more cane.........

if the question is of fractionally increased cost vs heath safety, the answer is a nobrainer.

...40 food shops....

40 food shops selling 200 meals each a day is 8,000 a day, or 56,000 a week, or 2,912,000 a year ( nearly 3 million) so is well worth saving that many foam trays being dumped in the canals or thrown on the side of the road as that is were many will end up, A good start and hopefully in a year, to two, it will be over all of Thailand.

If these new container are made from sugarcane, I suppose they break down quickly and maybe can be eaten by insects, birds and in the case of the ones getting into the waterways and sea, by fish.. with no harmful side effects ?? if so, then maybe people can boil them and make soup ??

"The campaign is aimed at preventing cancer caused by foam food containers and promoting healthy lifestyles."

Eh? Just how long does food have to sit in container to be a health hazard? Interesting spin, to say the least. Foam containers are banned in my hometown of Portland Oregon, but that is due to massive amount of garbage foam creates.

The types of ingredients used in Thai foods can dissolve the foam. Lime juice is one of them. Hot soups with chill oil is another. Infrequent use is not the issue. There are some people who consume 2-3 meals a day from a foam container.

I give the Thai public health authority credit for its honesty in the matter. Sad that no one listens.

Use what grandma used: Glass pyrex type containers. Good for hygiene, safe for health.

The types of ingredients used in Thai foods can dissolve the foam. Lime juice is one of them. Hot soups with chill oil is another. Infrequent use is not the issue. There are some people who consume 2-3 meals a day from a foam container.

I give the Thai public health authority credit for its honesty in the matter. Sad that no one listens.

Use what grandma used: Glass pyrex type containers. Good for hygiene, safe for health.

I think this is for takeaway food,, don't think your granny even had take away food...

why cant they use cardboard containers like McDonalds do for hambergers ? They would rot away in a week or two when discarded on the side of the road..